People of the Book

Knife said:
"What Islam offered was the "carrot or the sword". If you became a convert, your taxes were immediately eliminated, as was your tithe. If you didn't, you faced death."

Untrue.

How so?

Knife said:
in todays day and age, there is blood on everyones hands in one way or another.

That may be true. What are we looking forward to? More of the same, better? worse?

kmguru said:
How so?

That may be true. What are we looking forward to? More of the same, better? worse?

this is my opinion, please do not reply by saying "that is not was is going on, so you are wrong!". i am sure others would disagree. but this is my interpretation of islam.

the use of the "sword" in islam is only allowed in self defense if directly attacked or persecuted and as a last resort. all efforts must be made for peacefull resolution and mutual understanding. the religion allows for treaties, peace agreements, etc.

the tax issue. it is normal for a land to impose taxes. some countries impose a different tax on foreigners. non muslims, who were not fighting muslims (civilians) were allowed to live under islamic rule provided they paid taxes. i am now in a country other than my home land for business reasons and pay to this government 26%. whereas the local with similar income pays only 18%. do i claim oppresion? do i accuse them of racism? no. i accept it if i want to stay. and consider it a fee for the use of the hosting governments medical programs, public library, etc.

in islam, there are laws that express the full extent or the maximum punishment. like the death penatly for murder. that is the MAX, but no one will argue a lesser punishment if the particular situation deems death excessive. the same with tax, very few islamic countries impose different taxes on visitors, if any.

peace.

kmguru said:
How so?

the sad fact is more and more people are hating more and more people. even sadder, is that this hatred is in the cause of very few people.

i deny that any of what is going on is attributed to islam, christianity, judaism, zionism, etc. even though, they may not agree with each other, i fail to believe that any of these religions preech hatred and violence.

what is happening in the world today is a result of greed. greed for land, food, money, oil, power, sex, pure earthly issues. reaction to this greed stems from ignorance.

i think it will get worse before it gets better.

peace.

Knife said:
i think it will get worse before it gets better.

So, we agree on something. But "better" ? What needs to be done to make it better? OR are you saying (putting my words in your mouth, shame on me!) that after a major war or death and destruction, calmness will prevail and peace will breakout?

What specifically we should be doing that prevents that death and destruction from happening or can we even prevent that?

My thinking is, we may not be able to prevent that. This from a simple unrelated observation. A piece of metal contraption broke yesterday. I told my son to take it to our mechanic to get it fixed since he has the large metal welding system. He tinkered with the darn thing with blow torches and every gadget avaible in the house, refused to believe that it can not be done with simple tools.

People go off in a tangent thinking they can fix it without understanding the fundamental issues and limitations of a specific action or tool. I see the same issues even in Fortune 1000 companies...

kmguru said:
So, we agree on something. But "better" ? What needs to be done to make it better? OR are you saying (putting my words in your mouth, shame on me!) that after a major war or death and destruction, calmness will prevail and peace will breakout?

What specifically we should be doing that prevents that death and destruction from happening or can we even prevent that?

My thinking is, we may not be able to prevent that. This from a simple unrelated observation. A piece of metal contraption broke yesterday. I told my son to take it to our mechanic to get it fixed since he has the large metal welding system. He tinkered with the darn thing with blow torches and every gadget avaible in the house, refused to believe that it can not be done with simple tools.

People go off in a tangent thinking they can fix it without understanding the fundamental issues and limitations of a specific action or tool. I see the same issues even in Fortune 1000 companies...

"there is simplicity in all complexity". one must learn the fundamentals but also be open to explore them.

i agree with you, we may not be able to prevent it. it seems the wheels are already in motion. i dont know what to do to make it better. but i think it will only get better after we learn tolerance and understanding. maybe it would take something drastic for us to learn our lesson. but then, the world has seen destruction before, did we learn? no.

i like to believe, that places like this forum is a start. i dont know to where, but ya gotta start somewhere!

peace.

I am confused now. I got an email saying Fraggle Rocker posted on this topic. Now it is gone? What is going on?

kmguru said:
I am confused now. I got an email saying Fraggle Rocker posted on this topic. Now it is gone? What is going on?

i got that too. wierd! too doo doo doo too doo doo doo (attempt at typing the twilight zone theme music). :D :p

Oh! well....

How deep is it....?

Pretty deep.... :D

(feels like Friday! ....thought to round up the number of posts towards 5000)

Back