Parental responsibility and accountability in sexual abuse cases..

Bells

Staff member
THE parents of a high school student had suspected for several months that their daughter was having a relationship with her female teacher, a court has been told.
Link
Now if as a parent, you suspect that your child is involved in a sexual relationship with their teacher, would you simply do nothing? Ask the child and if they deny it, continue on as though all were normal, including allow said teacher back into your home and on family holidays?

Most would say no. However this couple, who suspected their 13 year old daughter was sexually involved with her teacher did just that.

The teacher has been charged with 229 counts of indecent dealing with a young student over a two year period starting in 2003 when the alleged victim was 13 years old.

The mother of the now 17-year-old student told the court that the teacher would sleep at their house in her daughter's bedroom at least once a week, and that she even went on a family holiday to the Gold Coast with them.

“Things were starting to get close ... I felt in my heart that something was going on,'' she said.

“When I'd ask (my daughter) what was going on, she'd say 'Nothing'.''

The student's father said that he walked into his daughter's room on a couple of occasions to find her and her teacher “lying on each other''.
I have to admit, I read this and was quite surprised. I don't know of any parents who'd allow their child's teacher to spend the night, sleeping in their child's room and bed. Nor do I know of any parents who'd allow said teacher to go on holidays with the family. But it takes all kinds I guess.

Now at what point do you act? When you first suspect? After all, the girl is a child and vulnerable. She's denied it and said 'nothing'. But even if you still keep suspecting something is not quite right, do you still allow the teacher to spend nights at your house bunking with your child? Now I don't know about any of you, but for me the answer would be no. I'd be dubious as to why a teacher would be wanting to sleep at my house and in my child's room in the first place. But it seems these parents just did not get it and possibly were blind or, to put it bluntly, stupid.

It gets worse however, the father, still thinking something was wrong, then decided to approach his daughter's school.

The father said that he eventually told school officials about the friendship that had developed between his daughter and her teacher.

“The school said to me 'That's just not on the books... that shouldn't be happening','' he said.
Now lets see, the teacher starts spending nights at your house, sleeping in your child's room and bed. You suspect and do nothing. She goes with you on family holidays. You suspect and again do nothing. You walk into your daughters room, only to find said teacher and child lying on top of each other, and this happens several times.. and all this combined still does not show to you that something is going on? You need to go to the school for them to tell you that it's not right and shouldn't be happening?

The idiocy of this case keeps astounding me the more I look into it. I mean are people that blind?

While the teacher now faces countless charges, should the parents be charged for their actions, or lack of, during the whole time the abuse took place? Should parents, who are simply this stupid, also be held accountable and responsible to what happens to their children in cases such as this?

The idiocy of this case keeps astounding me the more I look into it.

Don't know humans very well, do you, Bells? And just remember, there's much more going on out there than is ever found out about!!

While the teacher now faces countless charges, should the parents be charged for their actions, or lack of, during the whole time the abuse took place? Should parents, who are simply this stupid, also be held accountable and responsible to what happens to their children in cases such as this?

C'mon, Bells, you're an attorney, you should know better than asking something like that. How can you regulate parantal behavior? Would you send a cop in to live with each family? Would you provide video monitors in each room of the family home?

We fight and fight and argue and legislate for citizen freedoms ....and this is what we get when we have too much freedom. It's as simple as that. Murder, rape, violent assault, etc are all part of a people being free. The more freedom people have, the more crime that's committed.

Baron Max

Uh ... wow?

I'm going to simply say that there's a cultural barrier impeding my understanding of the case. For instance, what is the age of consent in Australia? And do Aussies bear the British burden of being polite so viciously lampooned by Monty Python, Douglas Adams, &c.?

If the answers are "older than thirteen" and "no", then I would seriously consider the criminal culpability of the parents in aiding and abetting what is, by American standards, a severe crime.

C'mon, Bells, you're an attorney, you should know better than asking something like that. How can you regulate parantal behavior? Would you send a cop in to live with each family? Would you provide video monitors in each room of the family home?
That is the question I am asking. I am not even going to go into your rants in regards to police in each home or video camera's.

Should laws be enacted to regulate parental behaviour in cases such as the one above? Now they suspected for many months and all they did was to ask their daughter, and she denied that anything was the matter. They kept suspecting however and did nothing further for a length of time. They allowed the teacher access to their home and their daughter on a weekly basis even though they suspected that she was sexually abusing their daughter. In light of this, should they be held responsible for their inaction? Should ignorance or lack pure knowledge of what was happening matter?

At present, parents are required by law to protect and provide for their child. Now under this guise, have these parents failed in their duty to protect their child?

Tiassa said:
I'm going to simply say that there's a cultural barrier impeding my understanding of the case. For instance, what is the age of consent in Australia? And do Aussies bear the British burden of being polite so viciously lampooned by Monty Python, Douglas Adams, &c.?

If the answers are "older than thirteen" and "no", then I would seriously consider the criminal culpability of the parents in aiding and abetting what is, by American standards, a severe crime.
The age of consent is 16 for sexual intercourse and 18 for anal penetration in Queensland. The sexual abuse in this case commenced when the girl was 13 years of age. And no, I don't consider Australians having the burden of politeness as portrayed in the UK.

What does get me with this case is that they suspected and pretty much did nothing. Now under the Child Protection Act 1999, they could be charged for failing to protect and provide for their child, but that's a big if. The fact they merely suspected and did not truly know of the abuse could result in no charges being laid. Hence the issue, should they be charged?

Personally, I find their action, or lack of, to be quite frankly, appalling. That they could have suspected this for many months and did nothing other than to ask the girl astounds me. And even then they still suspected, and continued to invite the teacher back into their home. Now, in regards to the Child Protection laws in Queensland, they can be charged, but again, they merely suspected of the abuse and had no true evidence to support their suspicions. But should that be enough? After all, when a child's safety is at stake, should we merely say 'meh, you suspected but had no real proof so that's fine', even after the father had discovered them in bed together?

Should laws be enacted to regulate parental behaviour in cases such as the one above?

Bells, as an attorney, you should know full well that laws ain't worth a damn without the means to enforce them. That being said, please explain how you'd enforce any such laws as you've implied from the quote below:

Now they suspected for many months and all they did was to ask their daughter, and she denied that anything was the matter.

Well, there you have it, Bells ....what law do you propose, that could possibly be enforced, that would change what happened (as you've noted)?

At present, parents are required by law to protect and provide for their child. Now under this guise, have these parents failed in their duty to protect their child?

Yes, but that law, just like many laws, are designed to punish the guilty parties AFTER THE FACT, not before or during. I.e., they aren't really "protecting" the child, they're waiting for the child to die or be killed or whatever, then they step in and punish the parents. Don't usually do much good for the dead child, does it?

After all, when a child's safety is at stake, should we merely say 'meh, you suspected but had no real proof so that's fine', even after the father had discovered them in bed together?

So ...are you suggesting that cops or social workers be given warrants to search homes without any evidence of wrong-doing?

Bells, we have here a crime that's not very nice, but creating new laws that are virtually un-enforceable is not the answer. Perhaps there is not answer. Perhaps it's like the laws against murder ...the crime can and does happen, and in something like 50% of the time, no one is ever charged with that crime. Just think about it - do we really need a new law? A new unenforceable law?

Baron Max

if... it was my son...

id say..."son... is she cute??? well dont fall in love... you dont want to get stuck with an older woman.... your to young... if all your doing is pleaseing each other... without love, or life long commitments... then i guess its ok...(assuming he was 16 or more,,,,)... but be careful... she may fall in love with you... and then she may do things.. say things... to try and get you to stay with her... for life....
you tell her.... thats not going to happen... you are going to college and have many girl friends... if thats not cool.. then you guys should end it.'
'you gotta be a man about it.'

if..... it was my daughter.

id find the teacher... and beat the living shit out of him.

and have a long talk with my daughter about why men cannot be trusted.

-MT

Bells, as an attorney, you should know full well that laws ain't worth a damn without the means to enforce them. That being said, please explain how you'd enforce any such laws as you've implied from the quote below:

Well, there you have it, Bells ....what law do you propose, that could possibly be enforced, that would change what happened (as you've noted)?
The law at present states that parents need to provide and protect their children. Now under the present laws, do you think these parents have done so?

As to enacting new laws, well maybe parents in situations such as the ones involved in this particular case should be held somewhat accountable for their complete lack of action. I'm not saying that a law should be enacted to stop parents from being stupid. People will be stupid regardless. But in cases where their stupidity and pure ignorance has led to the continued sexual abuse of their child, should they be held somewhat accountable. After all, they suspected, asked their daughter who denied it, continued to suspect, invited the teacher back into their home and allowed said teacher to spend the night in their daughter's room (even though they still suspected something was going on and not right), walked in on teacher and daughter in situations that are comprimising, not once but several times. Now a reasonable person in possession of their faculties would not allow a person they suspected of sexually abusing their child into their home and into their child's room for over night stays, would they not?

The question is, did they fail to protect their daughter? I believe the answer is yes. What do you think?

Yes, but that law, just like many laws, are designed to punish the guilty parties AFTER THE FACT, not before or during. I.e., they aren't really "protecting" the child, they're waiting for the child to die or be killed or whatever, then they step in and punish the parents. Don't usually do much good for the dead child, does it?
Short of having a monitoring system in every room in every person's house, it would be impossible to police to prevent any crime from happening.

So ...are you suggesting that cops or social workers be given warrants to search homes without any evidence of wrong-doing?

Bells, we have here a crime that's not very nice, but creating new laws that are virtually un-enforceable is not the answer. Perhaps there is not answer. Perhaps it's like the laws against murder ...the crime can and does happen, and in something like 50% of the time, no one is ever charged with that crime. Just think about it - do we really need a new law? A new unenforceable law?
No. I don't even think we need a new law. The existing law we have in regards to protecting children would suffice in this case. The question I am asking is whether the parents in question failed to provide and protect their child? If the answer is yes, then they can very well be charged under the existing laws.

I am well aware that crime does happen and will continue to happen in the future. But at what point do we continue to excuse and ignore ignorance and stupidity?

the parents bear full responsiblity as the girl was 13.
the parents are guilty of neglect and abuse.

she was 13. she was capable of making her own decisions. if she felt she was being abused she would have sought help with the matter. why should the parents be responsible for anything?

The question is, did they fail to protect their daughter? I believe the answer is yes. What do you think?

Protect her from what? Don't you first have to prove that the girl was somehow harmed in some way?

As a society, many often claim that we should love each other and the world would be a happier, more peaceful place. Yet when someone shows love to someone, we want to throw them in jail. What am I missing here?

Again, what harm came to the girl? That must be established even before we can charge anyone with any crime ...don't you think?

Baron Max

Again, what harm came to the girl?

You are arguing the LAW here. You can't do that. You can only argue the CASE.
Bells is right. Here is an analogy. Columbine. If it can be proven that the parents knew about the boys collecting guns and making bombs, they are sure damn guily of accomplice or negligence.

The same goes for the girl's parents. If the sex was going on with their knowledge, they can be held accountable in the court of law. Watch more TV! :)

If the sex was going on with their knowledge, they can be held accountable in the court of law.

Okay ....since you're such a legal-eagle, what crime did they commit? Please be specific and mention the exact law that they violated.

Columbine. If it can be proven that the parents knew about the boys collecting guns and making bombs, they are sure damn guily of accomplice or negligence.

I don't know. Is there such a law? I.e., aren't people permitted to collect guns? Are young people not permitted to collect guns? I and some of my friends collect guns ...should I turn us in to the police? Ooops, two of 'em ARE cops!

Please tell me about these laws that you speak of .....I'm quite interested.

Baron Max

Oh boy, this is going to be a long day...

Okay ....since you're such a legal-eagle, what crime did they commit? Please be specific and mention the exact law that they violated.

Ask Bells, she is the attorney. I think it is called criminal negligence or endangering a child.
I don't know. Is there such a law?

Sure there is. I am sure there is an AGE LIMIT for guncollecting, hey, legally they couldn't even have bought those guns, since they were 17.
Also there are certain RULES how one supposed to keep guns when they are not in use. Like closed up separated from the bullets so let's say children can not get a hold of them. Ouupps, they were children.

And I didn't even touch the pipebomb part...

The parents were sued like hell, and rightfully so. Had they cleaned or checked their stupid offspirngs' rooms once in a while, they would have found guns,bombs and plans under the bed. They didn't even hide it....

Burn 'em! Burn 'em, burn 'em, burn 'em!

Bells said:

The age of consent is 16 for sexual intercourse and 18 for anal penetration in Queensland. The sexual abuse in this case commenced when the girl was 13 years of age. And no, I don't consider Australians having the burden of politeness as portrayed in the UK.

What does get me with this case is that they suspected and pretty much did nothing. Now under the Child Protection Act 1999, they could be charged for failing to protect and provide for their child, but that's a big if. The fact they merely suspected and did not truly know of the abuse could result in no charges being laid. Hence the issue, should they be charged?

I'll presume that stupidity is not a crime, per se, in Australia. Ever hear the Twisted Sister song "Burn in Hell"?

Hear no evil, don't you see no evil, don't you lay no evil down on me!

What is the standard for criminal negligence? The alleged conduct of the parents seems unacceptable to a macabre degree.

Oh boy, this is going to be a long day...

Ask Bells, she is the attorney. I think it is called criminal negligence or endangering a child.

Sure there is. I am sure there is an AGE LIMIT for guncollecting, hey, legally they couldn't even have bought those guns, since they were 17.
Also there are certain RULES how one supposed to keep guns when they are not in use. Like closed up separated from the bullets so let's say children can not get a hold of them. Ouupps, they were children.

And I didn't even touch the pipebomb part...

The parents were sued like hell, and rightfully so. Had they cleaned or checked their stupid offspirngs' rooms once in a while, they would have found guns,bombs and plans under the bed. They didn't even hide it....

So ....in all of that, you're basically admitting that you don't know shit about the laws, but you keep making the same bullshit assumptions ....right?

If you don't know the laws, don't pretend that you do. It ain't nice. And furthermore, it's just plain lying. And that ain't nice either.

Baron Max

Max, google is your friend, use it. But this is your lucky day, I just read this in the paper:

The guy who is in trial in Utah because he is the Mormon prophet and had a few wives, was charged with compliance rape, because he married a 14 years old to her 1st cousin.
The same deal with the parents of the girl. If they knew about the teacher, they were compliances...

Watch more TV!! Also having 7000+ posts here one would think you learnt something here...

Protect her from what? Don't you first have to prove that the girl was somehow harmed in some way?
You do not constitute sexual abuse of a minor as being harmful to the minor?

As a society, many often claim that we should love each other and the world would be a happier, more peaceful place. Yet when someone shows love to someone, we want to throw them in jail. What am I missing here?
So you think when a paedophile has sex with its victim, it's showing love and should be embraced by society as a whole? Interesting.

Again, what harm came to the girl? That must be established even before we can charge anyone with any crime ...don't you think?
To answer that question, you need to decide if sexually abusing a child constitutes as being harmful to said child. If you believe the answer is no, then it is a waste of my time and yours for us to continue this conversation.

If you believe that sexual abuse of a minor is harmful to said minor, then that establishes the crime.

As for the parents in this case, they suspected that their daughter was being sexually abused by her teacher and did nothing to stop it. They caught them in bed together, again did nothing to stop it, letting it continue for "several months". They even allowed said teacher to gain further access to their daughter by allowing the teacher to sleep over at their home in their daughter's room on a weekly basis. Now do you think that with all the evidence provided by them that their daughter was being sexually abused, they failed to act to protect said daughter? After all, they are using the evidence they have gathered while suspecting the sexual abuse was occuring to help prosecute this teacher. Should the courts now not look at them and their role or lack of during this period? That's the thing, in their complete stupidity, they failed to protect their child from something they now consider to be evidence of to convict the teacher. Yet having gathered said evidence while the abuse was occuring, they did nothing to stop the abuse, letting it continue over the 'several months' period.

This is the question I am posing as a general question. Do you think, under the Section 5(2) of the Child Protection Act 1999 (QLD) which states in part:

(2) Subject to subsection (1), this Act is also to be administered
under the following principles—
(a) every child has a right to protection from harm;​
(b) families have the primary responsibility for the upbringing, protection and development of their children;​

Section 8 and 9 of the Act states:

8 Who is a child
A child is an individual under 18 years.​
9 What is harm
(1) Harm, to a child, is any detrimental effect of a significant nature on the child’s physical, psychological or emotional wellbeing.​
(2) It is immaterial how the harm is caused.​
(3) Harm can be caused by—​
(a) physical, psychological or emotional abuse or neglect;
or
(b) sexual abuse or exploitation.​

Link

Have the parents committed a crime in not protecting their child even though they suspected and had evidence against the teacher they suspected of sexually abusing their child? After all, consider in part that the evidence they had is now being used against said teacher in her trial.

Tiassa said:
I'll presume that stupidity is not a crime, per se, in Australia....

---------------------------

What is the standard for criminal negligence? The alleged conduct of the parents seems unacceptable to a macabre degree.
It is not illegal to be stupid, but stupidity is not a defence either. In the words of Mackenzie J in R v BBD [2006] QCA 441 (3 November 2006):

"The conduct must demonstrate a serious departure from the standard of care that a reasonable member of the community would observe in the same circumstances."
Link

The common law test for criminal negligence is stated in R v Bateman (1927) 19 Cr App R 8 at 11 & 12:

"In explaining to juries the test which they should apply to determine whether the negligence, in the particular case, amounted or did not amount to a crime, judges have used many epithets, such as "culpable," "criminal," "gross," "wicked," "clear," "complete." But, whatever epithet be used and whether an epithet be used or not, in order to establish criminal liability the facts must be such that, in the opinion of the jury, the negligence of the accused went beyond a mere matter of compensation between subjects and showed such disregard for the life and safety of others as to amount to a crime against the State and conduct deserving punishment."​

Would this test apply to the parents in question? In my opinion the answer is yes. Especially in light of Section 286 of the Criminal Code 1899 (Qld):

286 Duty of person who has care of child

(1) It is the duty of every person who has care of a child under 16 years to--

(a) provide the necessaries of life for the child; and

(b) take the precautions that are reasonable in all the circumstances to avoid danger to the child's life, health or safety; and

(c) take the action that is reasonable in all the circumstances to remove the child from any such danger;

and he or she is held to have caused any consequences that result to the life and health of the child because of any omission to perform that duty, whether the child is helpless or not.

(2) In this section--

"person who has care of a child" includes a parent, foster parent, step parent, guardian or other adult in charge of the child, whether or not the person has lawful custody of the child.
Link

Whether charges are laid against them remains to be seen. But their stupidity should not be a defence. That they had a duty of care towards their daughter cannot be denied. She was 13 years old and they were her parents and primary guardians. Now did they protect their daughter to prevent any further abuse? Well they did not know the abuse was happening, but they suspected it to the point where they asked their daughter if something was going on, and even upon her denial, they still suspected. In that time they allowed the teacher back into their home and allowed her access to their daughter. Now any reasonable person who suspects that their child is being sexually abused would not allow said suspect back into their home and allow her to sleep over at night in their daughters bed.

I don't know about any of you, but there would be no way in hell I'd allow anyone I suspected of molesting my child of continuing to sleep in the child's bed. Am I unreasonable in this? I personally don't think so. Now they suspected enough, that even after several months since they first suspected, the father finally decided to approach the school. Why had he not done so sooner? Why had they allowed the teacher to continue to sleep over in their child's bed during those "several months" where they did suspect something was going on? Now anyone else in the position of the parents when they first began to suspect would have probably have acted differently. Primarily they would not have allowed the teacher to keep sleeping over in their child's room. Would a reasonable person have reacted differently? My guess would probably be yes.

Last edited:
Back