Parasites that use mind control

Dr Lou Natic

Unnecessary Surgeon
Registered Senior Member
WARNING:The following information is fascinating;)

Their main problem in life is ensuring that their young manage to attain an equally ideal position within another body of the same kind. That will not happen if the eggs remain alongside the adults, for few host species are cannibals, eating the bodies of their own kind. The eggs must somehow leave the host, and the easiest and most obvious way to do that is with the host's droppings. But even this cannot be a solution for all, for only a minority of mammals and birds are so insanitary that they become sioled by the dung of their fellows.

The solution to the problem provided by evolution is to recruit a different kind of host. A tapeworm living in the gut of a cat uses a mouse. Its eggs are shed with the cat's droppings. These may fall among grain or some other potential mouse food where they may be inadvertantly consumed by a mouse. The eggs, inside the mouse's body, hatch into larvae which migrate into its liver. There they form cysts and multiply into large numbers of yet a different form of lava. If the mouse is then caught and eaten by another cat, then another generation of tapeworm has succeeded in finding a new home.

Such a circuit is, of course, a very chancey one. Since the mouse is not seeking cat droppings, the vast majority of them will remain untouched. Even if the mouse does happen to eat a smear of one, the parasite's future is still far from assured. If the mouse is caught, not by another cat but by a dog or a fox or an owl, then the larvae within it will live no longer. Maybe only one in a hundred thousand will have the good luck to reach another cat. For this reason, internal parasites produce their eggs in astronomical numbers. A mature tapeworm, living in a human gut and needing its larvae into the flesh of a pig in order that another pork-eating human being will be infected, may shed a million eggs a day and over its life-time produce as many as seven thousand million of them.

(If you don't have much time start reading here for "mindcontrol" info)-DL

A few of these internal parasites have developed ways to improve their chances of completing the hazardous connections in their life life-cycle. In northern Europe many small birds, such as flycatchers and thrushes, carry flukes within their gut.
The parasites' eggs fall to the ground in the bird's droppings where they may be eaten by a grazing snail. Inside the snails body, they hatch into small actively swimming larvae that bore their way through the gut wall and into the liver. There they reproduce themselves and form little mobile cysts which make regular journeys every morning into the snails tentacles. These are normally thin, but when the parasite forces its way into them they become thick and club like. Not only that, but the stretched wall of the tentacle becomes so thin that it is transparent and the parasite within is easily seen. It is brilliantly coloured, banded with yellow, orange and dark brown.
To make itself even more conspicuous, it pulsates. The presence of the parasite for some reason also changes the snail's behaviour. Instead of returning to the safety of the leaf litter soon after dawn, as uninfected snails do, it remains out in the open for much longer. The throbbing coloured bands within the swollen tentacles quickly attract foraging birds. Perhaps it is their resemblance to caterpillars on which many birds regularly feed. Whatever the reason, the birds flutter down, peck the tentacles off the unfortunate snail and swallow them.
Once again, a new generation of parasites has managed to reach the same kind of safe home as that in which its parents flourished.
-The trials of life(aka my bible) by Sir David Attenborough.

Sir attenborough goes on to mention an even more complex system involving three hosts.
Rabbit fluke eggs fall to the ground with rabbit droppings, their eaten by snails, they make the snail secrete "slime balls" that are irresistable to a certain species of ant, the ants eat the slimeballs that contain the eggs, the eggs turn into larvae, some of which make their way to the ants brain and screw with its behaviour, instead of going home with the rest of the colony at night, the brainwashed ant clamps its jaws onto a blade of grass and hangs there, during the night rabbits eat the grass and accidently swallow the ant.

It is not known how these parasites can control their hosts like that, but one things for sure, it is freaking amazing!

Agreed? :)

that is very interesting. I wonder how far a parasite could go in terms of affecting the behavior of the host.

i was watching a documentary on this. it was pretty fascinating. it gave the example of the snail as well, and showed videos of various animals being afflicted. some parasites would actually force their host to perform actions which would be very detrimental to the host, but which would ensure the propogation of the parasite. needless to say, it was incredibly fascinating. i can't remember much though.

I don't know the scientific names, they are called "flukes" and there is a different species for just about every type of bird and mammal.
I have pictures right in front of me in a book but I google image searched and nothing came up:confused:
The internet blows in that regard:mad:

Really?
Is it like these parasites in that it forces its "host" to do actions in order to assist its breeding?
Do rabies make their host bite something to spread themselves?

I can't believe how elaborate these flukes breeding habits are. Its amazing a creature would evolve such abilities and instincts. I never thought I would find a parasite's lifestyle 'beautiful' but now that I know all the details, I can't think of any other way to describe it:D

The three host system has to be the most amazing. It relies on snails to crawl over and eat the eggs it plants in a rabbits bodily waste while it is in the rabbit. Then it has developed a way to make the snail secrete it in a type of ooze that is tasty to a certain type of ant, then, somehow, it controls that ants body and makes it clamp its jaws on a blade of grass in the hope a rabbit will eat it. If a different animal eats the grass(and ant) it has all been a waste of time, it can only survive as an adult in a rabbit.
It does all this just to pass from rabbit to rabbit.
Awesome if you ask me:)

I remember reading a scifi short story called "The Giving Plague" once open a time two virologist studying blood born pathogens discover a odd group of blood donors that seem to have acquire a urge to donate blood. The scientist discover it was caused by a virus they named ALAS (Acquire Lavish Altruism Syndrome) ALAS makes its host want to give blood (and spread the virus through blood donations) as a side effect it makes its host want to do nice and good things in general, and become a goody-two-shoes. The scientist decide not to publish their findings but instead let ALAS do its work… after several decades ALAS is spread through the majority of the human population (do to a massive need in blood transfusions from other new diseases) and the human race enters a state of utopia and brotherly love.

If there really were a virus like that I would believe in god!

Last edited:
some parasites also attack caterpillars, and seemingly control their movements. when caterpillars are infested with these parasites, they stay out eating a lot more than usual, leaving themselves vulnerable to attack from birds. thus the second stage of the parasite begins. this is really fascinating. :eek:

There was a short article on this very subject in SciAm a while back. The snail mentioned above was cited. Another interesting example was the effect of rabies. An animal that normally seeks to avoid danger becomes aggressive when infected with rabies, which facilitates the spread of the virus to new hosts through the saliva of the infected animal. I'll see if I can't dig that issue up.

KV

Originally posted by WellCookedFetus
Good for you. How about Nature, ya thats even hard for me to read!

Nah, Nature's a little pricey. I know I should subscribe, but I'm a tightwad. I am waiting to receive Natural History, though. It looks pretty neat. I have a offer from the Science News around here somewhere, but i think it was something like $60/year. Ouch. :)

KV

unfortunatly, they don't have Nature, but they do have Natural History:

http://www.bestdealmagazines.com/alpha.asp?letter=N

$2.99 for a year on most of the subscriptions! (they're trying to pump up subscriptions that were lost to online publications)

NAyway, Your local library should have a subscription to Nature, so swing by and check it out. a great magazine!

As for this, I always wondered where this fit into the idea of where the line between consiousnerss and unconciousness lies. If a fluke can figure out a way to control the actions of another being, then it is either: changing the concious decision making process of the host, or it is somehow interfering with instincts. I would think that the second would be much more difficult.

I hadn't thought of rabies in this catagory, though it makes sense. Are their any besides rabies that we know of for Humans? I bet there are. Sudden onset of phycosis, and such. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that there is a large amount of infectious agents which effect our mind/actions.

Originally posted by river-wind
unfortunatly, they don't have Nature, but they do have Natural History:

http://www.bestdealmagazines.com/alpha.asp?letter=N

As for this, I always wondered where this fit into the idea of where the line between consiousnerss and unconciousness lies. If a fluke can figure out a way to control the actions of another being, then it is either: changing the concious decision making process of the host, or it is somehow interfering with instincts. I would think that the second would be much more difficult.

I hadn't thought of rabies in this catagory, though it makes sense. Are their any besides rabies that we know of for Humans? I bet there are. Sudden onset of phycosis, and such. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that there is a large amount of infectious agents which effect our mind/actions.

I have about 6 subscriptions coming to me through bestdealmagazines and I'm totally satisfied with their service. Once you place an order your mags may take a couple of months to get to you, but the prices make everything worth the wait. And, since you inquired about other human controlling parasites, I think the article I referred to earlier gave another example. I guess I'll have to get off my can and try to find that issue. :)

KV

“….and seemingly control their movements. when caterpillars are infested with these parasites, they stay out eating a lot more than usual, leaving themselves vulnerable to attack from birds.”

Does this mean that the parasites make the caterpillars hungrier? Is that really an unusual effect of being inhabited by a parasite?

weebee
:D

Dam I just go to my university's library for free, the only subscriptions I have is Scientific American and MAD.

Back