Over the top?

yeah, you don't have to understand it to do it. If I were in a persons house and they asked me to take off my shoes for religious reasons, I would. There is a limit of course, but not saying god, no biggie.

What if you weren't aware that they want you to take your shoes off, and they start yelling at you when you don't ?

Well, that has nothing to do with me. Its just rude on their part. Not very religious of them is it?

God should never be referred to unless the person is conscious they are talking about or to God. When you used the term "oh my God," You where not a believer in God calling out to Him. You where just using the terminology as an expression of excitement or frustration or whatever. But you where not referring to God.

Using the Term God or Jesus for anything other than in reference to God/Jesus is wrong. Just because it is engrained in popular culture as a term of expression does not make it ok.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST

Like, omg. It's like, do you like god, or do you like like god? Cuz, if yer just like "Oh my god, I really like god", it's not like, the same as saying, like "Oh my holy god, I like, totally like LIKE you,god".

Either way, don't talk like an idiot. Like, OK?

Like, omg. It's like, do you like god, or do you like like god? Cuz, if yer just like "Oh my god, I really like god", it's not like, the same as saying, like "Oh my holy god, I like, totally like LIKE you,god".

Either way, don't talk like an idiot. Like, OK?

What the fuck? Are you talking to me?

Anyway, i just think that its my choice, as an athiest, to say what ever i want that reflects my beliefs. I mean, of course i'm going to respect my friends' religion and that, by trying not to say it in front of them, but at the same time, its just an expression. Along the way, it kinda lost any religious meaning, because when people say it these days, they dont usually mean anything about God.

Im not very eloquent so im probably not getting my point across properly..

Ok, so I went to my bestie's sister's housewarming party, and she is like a religious nut. She's a Christian, and her strong religious beliefs are getting more and more kinda obsessive. She constantly ditches her family (on her mum's birthday for example) to go to church, and when i was at her house the other day, i said "oh my God," and you should have seen her reaction. Do the Christians here think saying "oh my God" is bad, and why? i mean, i know it's taking the Lord's name in vain, but does it really, and i mean REALLY, effect you to the point of yelling at someone for saying it??
Just curious to know what other people here think. Personally I think it's ridiculous, but thats just me.
Did your sister join a new Xian group? Perhaps you should go with her and check it out. Also, maybe your sister is having some difficult times and maybe you need to be there for her - instead of pastor Lovejoy.

What the fuck? Are you talking to me?

Anyway, i just think that its my choice, as an athiest, to say what ever i want that reflects my beliefs. I mean, of course i'm going to respect my friends' religion and that, by trying not to say it in front of them, but at the same time, its just an expression. Along the way, it kinda lost any religious meaning, because when people say it these days, they dont usually mean anything about God.

Im not very eloquent so im probably not getting my point across properly..

I was just giving an example of the other extreme, where it's offensive to someone with or without a belief in god. Because it sounds ignorant, mostly.

I think an earlier poster said it well. If she was really upset by your personality, you wouldn't have been invited over. If her reaction was just a look, then she's just letting you know where she stands, now.
If she made a scene and chewed you up and down, then it's a challenge to your belief system.
In the free world you can talk however you want to. It is good, though, to respect ones wishes when in their home, (more so when you're far from home and it's raining outside).
She may enjoy telling you why she doesn't like it, people like to talk about their faith.

Back