Origins of the Qur’an . . . . again

Originally posted by Michael
True, but my interest is more academic and yours more spiritual. Accordingly, and from my perspective, before I look into the content I need to put that content into a context. What was going on at the time of it’s inception? For example. The Bible is a jumble of confusion (probably why its such popular book – you can basically interpret anything to mean anything!). However, once I started digging into the history of how the book came about. The similar religions of the time (and earlier), Gnosis, etcetera – it started to make sense – of course it is confusing. Try pasting 100s of religions into one and that’s what you’ll get! So its not the meaning of the writing in a religious sense per say, but more as a sort of connect the historical dots from Mythra to Constantine to the Reformation etcetera.

Does that make sense?

Good analysis, and what do you get when you read the Quran....Assuming that you have read it from cover to cover...Do you get that feeling of jumble confusion and 100s of religions into one feeling that you got with the bible?

You know what i find funny, its when people dont like to subject their own religion to the kind of analysis Michael is using, yet will happily use that kind of analysis on other religions.

Originally posted by guthrie
You know what i find funny, its when people dont like to subject their own religion to the kind of analysis Michael is using, yet will happily use that kind of analysis on other religions.

Fascinating isn't it?

Back