Origin if the beast's number - 666?

Always-Curious

Registered Member
I've been studying the book of Revelations recently as sort of a weird hobby, and I'm trying figure out how John came up with the number 666? It's only mentioned twice in Revelations, and I don't recall reading it anywhere else in the Bible, although I haven't read the whole thing recently.

The numbers 4, 7, & 12 and their multiples are used frequently in Revelations. I'm thinking that six, being one number lower than seven--the perfect number--symbolizes the "less than" perfect quality in the beast.

Can anyone elaborate, or suggest some reading that may elaborate?

Thanks,

AC

I've tried to figure out the "666" mark also. I remember some people thought it had some thing to do with the UPC barcodes on all the products we buy today or some type of worldwide ID card. Others have turned to numerology with the letters in the names of historic figures like Hitler, Nero, Martin Luther or even Henry Kissinger.

I'm not really sure but I think it may have more symbollic meaning than anything else. Six is one short of seven, which seven is traditionally taken in Christianity as the number of perfection or victory, so six-six-six is symbollic of failing to achieve perfection repeatedly? Honestly, I dunno. Maybe some of the more enlightened Christians on the forum could explain it, I'd certainly like to read their opinions.

Numbers

3 - Is one more than two. Seriously, that's the only reason it's ever important. Three is a holy number because people can't intellectualize the fact that among humans, 1 + 1 = 3

4 - There are four identifiable seasons, four compass points, four "elements".

6 - I'm guessing astronomy, but I wouldn't know which tradition to point to.

7 - Astronomy: Ancient astronomy recognized seven "planets" - Sun, Mercury, Venus, Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn. I believe this goes back to Babylon and before.

12 - See 13

13 - Superstitions pertaining to 13 are related to the Last Supper; 13 equals twelve disciples and a devil. I don't know why it doesn't indicate Christ. However, I am unaware of the development of the significance of twelve before that point. However, twelve does equal three by certain mystical numerologies, including traditions present in Judaism.

40 - Nearest I can figure, the Hebrew letter Mem equals forty. Mem is a "mother letter", something which I've never quite figured out because my studies of Qabalism did not survive the pomposity of contemporary Hermetic revivals. Interestingly enough, mem is the 13th letter of the Hebrew alphabet; 13 = 4. Furthermore, Mem represents the number 40; 40 = 4. Mem represents water (Freud would later attach water as a symbol to feminine fertility and gestation) .... Nearest I can say it's just a significant number. For good Jewish humor, I recommend Neil Simon's Brighton Beach Memoir which has a cute bit about the number 109.

42 - The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. See Douglas Adams.

666 - Add up the mathematical value of names in Hebrew or Greek--depending on whom you ask--and a number of things happen. 666 is alleged to be Nero, but I've never done the math. Seventh-Day Adventists point out that the Pope is the Devil, and among the arguments that I've seen for it is the assertion that Vicar angus Dei, a papal motto of some form ("The vicar is the lamb of God", I believe) translated to Greek and then added up equals 666. It's why the part in Revelations says something about wisdom. It's just a pretty and entertaining riddle with little significance other than its propaganda value. What's even funnier is that 666 = 9, which is a pretty conundrum among superstitious people, such as the rock band Stryper, who were known to hang "999" signs all over the stage.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

I'm trying figure out how John came up with the number 666?

Many things in the bible were writen in parables.
For instance Babylon in the New testement means Rome, because of the similarity of forced worship upon the people.
Many places in the scripture, the term "beast" simply means "A Power" and can be good or bad. For example the Four Beasts in Rev. with the four different faces are good, the spirits of God (an anointing) sent to each age to combat the anti-christ.
"The Beast" associated with 666 in Rev. means several things.
First it refers to a truth that is one of the mysteries of heaven.
The apostles, prophets and Jesus himself knew this "truth" but because it is so central to unraveling the rest of the Mysteries contained in the bible, they don't come straight out and tell this to the multitudes. Jesus said the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven were given to "His disiples to know" but unto the rest it was not given. The beast in the begining was the serpent, being influenced by Satan. It begiuled or suduced Eve, fathering Cain. It was later changed into a snake after the damage was done. The serpent was the closest animal to humans between man and ape. iT IS THE MISSING LINK. God hid it well, even in the scriptures, because once you realize this, the rest of the scriptures begin to make since. "Cain was of his father the wicked one". Solomon wrote "The way of an adulterous woman is: she eateth and wipeth her mouth and sayeth "I have done nothing". Here you can see adultry being parabled with "eating". But it wasn't an apple. It was sex. Paul wrote: -as the serpent beguiled Eve. Beguiled means seduced. John the baptist spoke of them when he said: Ye generation of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come. Jesus said of the pharasee's "You are of your father the devil, and his works you will do". Adam was created by the "spoken word of God". Eventuly He would have brought forth children the same way. After he sinned or "fell" this was impossible. and mankind was brought forth by sex. Adam and Eve's children were the sons of God. Cain's children were the "sons of Men" in Genesis.
They were the "Serpent's Seed" and could not recieve revelation from God, instead they could be controlled by Satan through thier animal nature. Now I said all that to lead up to this. Abel receive the revelation that it was blood in the Garden that caused the fall, and it would take the pure blood of an innocent one to restore mankind, thats why he offered a lamb as a type of Jesus.
Cain thought he could offer the fruits of the labors of his own hand. His offering was rejected. No revelation. Also he lied to God's face, "Am I my Brothers keeper", and murdered his own brother. THIS IS THE NATURE OF THE BEAST. It can be very religous sometimes as Cain was, but it has no revelation so adds to or takes away from God's word as it see fit. These are the ones who started the false religions, The pharisee's and Scribes in Jesus day rejected His message. The denominations of today have done the same thing. Rome as I said earlier persecuted millions of christians to death in the dark ages, thats why the "protestants came out of Her. But slowly they have gone back to reconcile their differences and compromise on the Word. "By teaching for doctrine the commandments of men, they make the Word of God of non-effect" By teaching the truth in parables, the word seperates those that believe from those that don't. Now we're getting to those numbers - see I didn't forget....6 is the number of man, 5 is perfection and 7 is completion. In John 6:53 it says:" Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you." He didn't explain it, He said it that way to seperate the unbelievers and the make-believers from those that really beleived. These three types of believers are in every group. Two of these three groups don't really believe. The decimal equvilent of 2/3 is .666. In John chapter 6 verse 60 it says: :"Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?" ...others stayed even though they didn't understand because they believed He was "The Christ" See how God works...He hides himself in His word for a reason. Revelations says "count the number of the "Beast", for it is the number of a man, and that numer is 666. In John chapter 6 Verse 66 (the number of a man -John, 6:66) it says: "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. THATS THE MARK OF THE BEAST. To turn back after hearing the message that God is sending and reject it as false. In churches you give "The right hand of fellowship" and receive their "Revelation in your forehead" ;.See Cains children have no ability to receive revelation, so they accept any old thing as truth. Especially a message God sent for a previous age, thats already been accepted by the multitudes. But when God sends a new messenger, with more truth, they won't accept it. Jesus said " You claim to follow the prophets, which of them didn't you put in the grave" But they can impersonate whats already been revealed. The scriptures say in the last days "The two spirits would be so close it would deceive the very elected, if it were possible." But you see ..it's not. We speak that we do know.
God promised something in this day - "The revelation of the Son of Man". True to form, the denominations rejected it. Jesus said : He who accepts whom I've sent, accepts me, He who rejects whom I've sent rejects me. If you want to understand more about whats God's message is, and how it exposed the beast, and the "Great Harlot" read my next post titled "The Message"

Last edited:
THE MESSAGE

There have been questions asking how you properly interpret the bible. I originaly posted this in the psudoscience/bible/ufo's/giants/ forum, and since I see similar questions asked here too, and it is a more apropriate area for the subject, I've reposted my answer here.

Q: How do you know what is true and what is parable?

Q: If every story in the Bible is not meant to be literal truth, how do you decide which ones are?, How do you know if ANY of it is?
-------------------------------------------------

A: Thats a fair question(s), and I will answer it to the best of my ability, with God's help. This may get a little lengthy, so I'm apolgizing in advance.
It's true, as a man, I could have as many different guesses of the true meaning of the scriptures as the next man. Many have made their best guesses and put their own interpretations to it in the past, some were close in some areas and some were not. But God's Word is of no privite interpration. "Word" in the Greek means two different things - "Rhema" is the "letter of the word", and "Logos" is the thought or true meaning of the word". One word can have many differnt meanings. The author of the bible "God" who wrote it by the prophets, is the only one who can correctly interpret it.
God is a manifestion of the promises made in His word, in that effect, God is the Word. (1 John 1:1-14). The whole bible is the revelation of Jesus Christ. Just as God has chosen to hide Himself from the "world", He has also chosen to hide the meaning of His Word from the "world", so He can reveal it to whom He will in a time and place of His own chosing. In John 6:44, Jesus said: "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him". Only those He has chosen to see, will, and the rest will not. What I'm about to tell you is profound and startling, but it is the truth. I'm not responcible for making anyone believe it, thats up to Him. The bible has been a locked, or "sealed" book, the complete revelation of which has been witheld until the last days. (Dan 12:9-10). Rev. 10:1-7 says the "book " will remain sealed until Christ returns with the book in His hand open, and in the "days of the voice of the seventh angel" the mysteries of God should be finished.
The Jews missed their day of "visitation", because they mis-interpreted the scriptures' meaning, by confusing prophecies of Christ first and second comings. They thought He was coming to set up His kingdom, and missed His coming as the sacrifice. The "Gentiles" today and their organized religions have also missed, and are missing their "day of visitation". Mis-interpreting the scriptures, they have confused the people about how Christ has promised to return in His second coming. What was promised to the Gentiles was the "revelation of the Son of Man". Luke 17:26 " And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man." Luke 17:30 "Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed." Jesus refered to himself when he was here as the "Son of Man:, it is the title of an office, when God uses a prophet to reveal Himself to the people. John 6:53 "Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you." The Word itself seperates those who beleive from those who do not. He didn't explain it. Some said: "This is an hard saying; who can hear it?" and in John chapter 6:66 ( notice the numbers here) "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him". Others chose to stay even though they didn't understand, because they believed he was "The Christ". See how God works. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. He is the Son of Man, and He's come back and revealed Himself to this generation through the office of a prophet just as he promised. Amos 3:7, Mal 4:5-6, Rev 10:7 are just a few of the scriptures. The supernatural ministry of William Branham (1909-1965) was thoroughly vindicated as that of a prophet, a seer such as were the old testement prophets with all the signs, wonders, and miracles the world has not seen since the days Jesus Christ walked the earth. The disernment of the thoughts and intents of the heart, that only God could know, was displayed thousands of times without one single error. But as it was in Jesus first ministry, the miracles were not merely done for show, it was to attract the peoples attention, then after God had vindicated His messenger, He sat down to teach them doctrine. That pattern was repeated in this day. First the sign, then the voice of the sign. The miracles God performed night after night through William Branham's ministry attracted millions to the ranks of the pentacostal movement in the late 40's, 50's and early 60's. But in 1963, after letting there be no doubt this was truly a man God had raised up to be His prophet, Jesus Christ, the only one worthy, took the book, opened it, came down, and through the mouthpiece of a prophet revealed his Word that had been hidden since the foundation of the world. Things mortal man had only guessed at through the ages, His doctrine, the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven. (Rev. 10:7). It was the revelation of the Son of Man. He came exactly as promised, just not the way the church had it figured - sound familar ?. "the same yesterday, today and forever". After the churches (the organizations - not the people) rejected God's message, just as they did in His first coming, He turned to calling His people out of it's organized religous systems refered to as " Babylon the Great, mother of harlots and abominations of the earth". Rev 18:1-4. These things were not done in a corner, and the message is still unfolding more every day through a five-fold ministry (prophets, apostles, evangelist, pastors and teachers) of God called men. "We speak that we do know". They asked Jesus: "By what authority do you speak these things."? "Where did you receive this knowledge? We have no record of any school you went to for learning". It has been revealed from the mind of God. My own ideas were a million miles off. This is the wedding supper, the feast He promised. The marriage of the Lamb is come, the Bridegroom's here. With the revelation of His Word and His will, the Bride is making herself ready. The bride and the Bridegroom say come.
He's still here calling His elect....if you feel the pull after reading this, check into it....I've told you the truth, and I pray those who read this will have the eyes of their understanding enlightened.

God Bless You,

TheVisitor

I don't know if you just mislooked it or ignored it, but the most obvious answer is the Hebrew mysticism or "kabbalah". They used gematria (Hebrew numerology where each letter of the alephbet had a value assigned to it) to indicate the numerical value of letters. The Greek is geometria, from where the word geometry comes from.

This is as I have it, although I'm no authority:

12:authority - significantly 12 tribes of Israel, 12 disciples etc.
10: Testimony or Law - 10 commandments
7: fullness/completeness - forgive 70 times 7.

Seven spirits=the Holy Spirit
Seven churches=all the churches of the world
Rock with seven eyes=Jesus with the Holy Spirit

3: Union/perfection
2: Elect/division
1: Unity

(Thus a possible interpretation of the 144 000 on Zion: 12^2 x 10^3 = the Elect/chosen of God perfected by/united under the Law)

I remember reading somewhere that it was one of the early church fathers, Irenaeus who's responsible for the number 666. The original number of the beast was supposedly 616.

Why did Irenaeus do it? His motivation was rather simple. In Greek the name of Jesus has the numerical value of 888. Since in Greek the perfect number was 777, Irenaeus figured that since the number surpassing 777 was 888 (Christ), the opposite of ‘the perfect’ must therefore be 666 (Satan).

I don't recall where I found it; you may want to do some Google searching but hopefully you'll find some more info.

....6 is the number of man, 5 is perfection and 7 is completion. In John 6:53 it says:" Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you." He didn't explain it, He said it that way to seperate the unbelievers and the make-believers from those that really beleived. These three types of believers are in every group. Two of these three groups don't really believe. The decimal equvilent of 2/3 is .666. In John chapter 6 verse 60 it says: :"Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?" ...others stayed even though they didn't understand because they believed He was "The Christ" See how God works...He hides himself in His word for a reason. Revelations says "count the number of the "Beast", for it is the number of a man, and that numer is 666. In John chapter 6 Verse 66 (the number of a man -John, 6:66) it says: "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. THATS THE MARK OF THE BEAST. To turn back after hearing the message that God is sending and reject it as false. In churches you give "The right hand of fellowship" and receive their "Revelation in your forehead" ;.See Cains children have no ability to receive revelation, so they accept any old thing as truth

Circe - that might have been Irenaeus' interpretation of it, but since the Book of Revelation far preceeds him, he couldn't have been the originator.

I think mostly the significance of that number is lost on us. Visitor - I would just like to point out that while I have no problem with the interpretation you present, you must keep in mind that verse numbers were only added in 1551, so the connection with John 6:66 could not have existed before then.

I just did some quick research - it seems that one greek manuscript and some early versions of Rev. have 616 instead of 666 and Irenaeus was aware of that.

Circe - that might have been Irenaeus' interpretation of it, but since the Book of Revelation far preceeds him, he couldn't have been the originator.

I think mostly the significance of that number is lost on us. Visitor - I would just like to point out that while I have no problem with the interpretation you present, you must keep in mind that verse numbers were only added in 1551, so the connection with John 6:66 could not have existed before then.

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Good point, and I've thought of that, but in the divine fore-knowledge of God anythings posible.....because the explanation fits with or without the verse numbers..
The holy spirt is the sun which ripens the seeds and brings to manifestation that which they really are...... in the harvest time of the earth. It's the seperation of the wheat from the tares in the last days..........the tares in bundles to be burned... Rev 18-1-4

And the wheat into God's garner ...Mal 4:5-6

To hear the truth and turn away, is the evidence of perdition.

The bible code shows what fore-knowledge existed. It's taken from the original Hebrew without verse numbers or even spaces between the letters...........the way it was originaly transcribed by Moses as it was given to him, with a computed probabilty of error (actually, the "P" number stand for probablity of random occurence) of .00004 %

Last edited:
Also along the same thought as John 6:66, and the ministers who turned away from jesus..........

It's been said the words over the vatican read something like:

Vicarius fedeli dei....(Not exactly, this is just from memory, and it translates to "The vicor of God" or "Instead , or in the place of the Son of God"

The roman numerals in the words add up to 666.

The vatican epitomises the Worldly "christian" church which defies God to His face, and hold it own creeds and traditions mixed with the word of God, creating an adulterated mix of worthless words.

"teaching for doctrine the commandments of men, they make the word of god of non-effect to the people."

The protestant churches which came out of "Her" to protest against catholisism, have gone back in a world, or ecuminical council of churches and also deny the word with their creeds.

The scriptures tell of a woman "Mystery Babylon" in the last days riding a beast with names of blasphemy on her forehead.

They also tell of 7 women (the churches created during the seven church ages), in the last days who grab hold of one man (Christ) and say, let us eat our own bread , and wear our own apparel, (false doctrine), nevertheless let us be called by your name (christian) to take away our reproach.

She's no longer a mystery today, since Rev 18:1-4 has come to pass and these organizations have rejected Gods' message of the seventh angel - the messinger to the final or seventh church age (laodica) Rev 10:1-7, Mal 4:5-6, Amos 3:7..ect..
The names of blasphemy on "her" forehead (revelation) are the blasphemous names of these worldly churches...Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, Pentecostal, ect... they have rejected the message of the "Revelation of the Son of Man" thats come to this generation when Jesus revealed the revelation of the Seven Seals and all the other mysteries in the Book that was sealed, that only He had the right to open......and spoke it by the mouthpeice of a vindicated prophet of God, William Branham. This happened in 1963, 64 and 65.

Today He is calling His elect from the four corners of the earth and out of Babylon......Rev. 18:1-4

Last edited:
Visitor, I'm interested to know where Christians are supposed to come together, if not in one of these churches? You seem to elevate one man - William Branham - to the same level as Jesus or Mohammed. Remember when the Holy Spirit was poured out, it was given to all people who are baptized through Jesus. I have no doubt that Mr. Branham was a good teacher, but you should take care not to replace Jesus teachings' with his. No one man can claim to sole propriety of the truth. Not Hitler, not Koresh, not Joseph Smith, not Ron Wyatt, and not William Branham. Always beware of someone who claims to hold the answers and to have solved all the mysteries. Not even the Biblical prophets did that - they proclaimed the timeless truth through the Spirit.

The condemnation or praise for each of the seven churches should be learned from.( Rev 2:29 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.) As the archetypes of all Christian churches, we should heed the warnings to each of them.

Rev3:19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent.

Read Rev.17:3 again. The blasphemous names were written all over the beast, not the woman - and the woman is the "great city" that rules over the world.

The "seven women" you refer to might well be the seven churches, but the last sentence of Isaiah 4:1 is "take away our disgrace". This is an introduction to the prophesy about the Messiah. See the connection? Only by grabbing hold of Jesus can they be saved. But we shouldn't "eat our own food and provide our own clothes". We eat the food provided by Christ, and we clothe ourselves with Him (Rom.13:14 and Gal.3:17)

Keep in mind the new covenant: the temple of God is now within each of us. Therefore the church or temple is not a building linking people together; people are now linked together by their faith, as one body. The body of Christ - called by his name. We are each of us the embodiment of the seven churches, holding on to Christ while the whore of Babylon is trying to seduce us away with "food and clothes".

Back