One and only question for all on this board!

contrarian:

First of all, I agree that it is quite likely that no one can meet the terms of the wager that randi proposes. However, that does not mean that there is no reality to these phenomena, randi probably has extremely stringent tests devised.

No. The conditions of any test are agreed between Randi and the applicant. All Randi requires is that what is to be tested be clearly specified, along with what will count as a success or a failure. He is also careful to arrange things so there is no opportunity for the applicant to cheat, and I suspect that this is what makes the test hard for many people. Other potential claimants, who are quite honest in believing they have abilities, are often wary of being tested as it might affect their livelihood if they fail.

There is a fair bit of good scientific data out there about some "paranormal" abilities in this vein.

Here is another page with some good studies, IMO.

http://www.sheldrake.org/papers/Telepathy/index.html

I should mention that Sheldrake has come in for much criticism from his fellow scientists of late for supporting many pseudoscientific ideas. Read with caution.

Hi James R! Thanks for the response!

No. The conditions of any test are agreed between Randi and the applicant. All Randi requires is that what is to be tested be clearly specified, along with what will count as a success or a failure. He is also careful to arrange things so there is no opportunity for the applicant to cheat, and I suspect that this is what makes the test hard for many people. Other potential claimants, who are quite honest in believing they have abilities, are often wary of being tested as it might affect their livelihood if they fail.

I appreciate the elaboration of randi's wager. I was unaware of the specifics. My main point, however, is that there may be a reality to these kinds of phenomena despite not meeting the criteria established by the wager.

I should mention that Sheldrake has come in for much criticism from his fellow scientists of late for supporting many pseudoscientific ideas. Read with caution.

Do you have any links on this? I have read some of the papers on Sheldrake's website. They seem pretty well documented, generally. I have read a criticism of the "sense of being stared at" from the Skeptical Inquirer that seemed a little lacking IMO. Firstly, they came up with the same sort of relatonship that Sheldrake did, then they changed the original experiment so the only starer was a graduate student of the scientist who was critiquing the paper. This does not seem like an effective test of Sheldrake's ideas.

I should say that I mainly want to promote the idea of keeping an open mind wrt these issues, rather than necessarily believing in them. Certainly, Sheldrake and others have unconventional opinions, they may well be testable, though. Categorically assuming these phenomena to be false is not in the best tradition of science IMO.

Cheers, :)

I agree, contrarian. I don't have any particular references handy (though I'm sure I could find some with a little searching), but I think there have been numerous attempts to replicate some of Sheldrake's findings, which have been unsuccessful.

Ertai said:
Yes Mr. Randi is the Nº1 Scientific Institute in the whole world
Of course not... but he is a good enough sample. You will note that you claimed people have demonstrated ESP, but neglected to link us to who this was or under what conditions.

Browne: Because it looks like there was something about a clot.
Caller: Yes, he had a severe brain hemorrhage at the very last minute.
(These two are opposite conditions)

Umm...I know its a little late, but a brain hemorrhage is caused by a clot. They are both basically the same thing. Just thought i should mention it.

Gravage said:
One and only question for all on this board!

Do telepathy,telekinesis and all other things that are connected to parapsychology truly exist or it's just another fiction?
How many cases in these 100 years of telepethy,telekinesis and all other aspects of parapsychology have been SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN AS BEING TRUE?
:bugeye:

That's two questions.

Gravage said:
Do telepathy,telekinesis and all other things that are connected to parapsychology truly exist or it's just another fiction?
How many cases in these 100 years of telepethy,telekinesis and all other aspects of parapsychology have been SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN AS BEING TRUE?
Big thanks!

00o

Back