On faith

That's backwards. Give me a reason to think it's a real thing, not just a metaphor for the universe, and I will weigh the evidence.
You've got to admire the consistency of his continued, albeit misplaced, sense of superiority. He can't help but think atheists are poorer for lacking that which he requires to make sense of things.

It is a forgone conclusion that God exists. You are, without God. Atheos-Atheist.
A theist believes in God. That is the reality of our two positions.
This is exquisite in its naivete. You have, in a very succinct nutshell, captured the essence of subjectivity.

You are assuming the thing you are trying to prove. A very basic logical fallacy.

Who' s trying to prove anything?

We never know for sure if something is true. We can only have degrees of confidence based on evidence.

So what is your definition of 'true'?

If you think you know something with certainty, I would ask how?

Why would that matter to you?

I perceive that I want certain things, and that would be the case even if I were a brain in a jar. I think that the wanting entity is my physical body, but I could be wrong.

You are a classic atheist.

A correct model of existence, such that it is useful for making predictions.

Such as?

It seems obvious that you desire God to exist.

Why does it seem obvious?

If your definition of God is the universe itself, then, while even I believe the universe exists, you also desire to incorporate the ideology of various religions to the thing, making it something different entirely. And I would say it's confusing to call the universe a God, given all the religious baggage that goes along with that word. Science shows that the universe probably exists, and it doesn't require God as an explanation for anything, so it's superfluous.

Well that's not the object of my desire. Care to try again?

I claim you have no knowledge of the thing either.

Your claim is worthless as you have no criteria on which to make it.

You tell me, you choose to post here.

What does me posting here, have to do with anything?

That's backwards. Give me a reason to think it's a real thing, not just a metaphor for the universe, and I will weigh the evidence.

You are 'without God', why would you want to be convinced that it is real?

jan.

You deny empirical evidence for the thing you are trying to prove. At this point I could just dismiss your claim as without merit. What other evidence can there be? Being is physical. Nothing not physical exists.

Where have I denied empirical evidence?
And the 'proof of God' thread is over. I'm sure fun was had by all. I certainly had fun.

Exactly what claim of mine could you dismiss without merit?

There can only be physical evidence for you, and all other atheists.
Can you envision anything else?

jan.

Yet more baseless claims.
"Yet more"? Where have there been any baseless claims.
As to your continued, albeit misplaced, sense of superiority... how else is one to consider: "It is what it is. You are without God, and you always will be without God, until you accept God. Then there's a chance you can start to believe in God." if not a sense of superiority you feel you hold in accepting God while us poor atheists lack?
Or: "It is a forgone conclusion that God exists. You are, without God. Atheos-Atheist." where you assert the truth of your claim that God exists as a "forgone [sic] conclusion"?

Baseless? Only as baseless as the quotes you provide, Jan.

Who' s trying to prove anything?
You. Why are you typing?
So what is your definition of 'true'?
A model that corresponds to reality and can make predictions.
Why would that matter to you?
I'm curious.
Your claim is worthless as you have no criteria on which to make it.
It's actually well supported by your lack of evidence. The burden of proof is on theists to prove their claim that God exists.
You are 'without God', why would you want to be convinced that it is real?
I want to believe as many true things as possible, and as few false things.

As to your continued, albeit misplaced, sense of superiority... how else is one to consider: "It is what it is. You are without God, and you always will be without God, until you accept God. Then there's a chance you can start to believe in God."

How is that in any way superior?

if not a sense of superiority you feel you hold in accepting God while us poor atheists lack?
Or: "It is a forgone conclusion that God exists. You are, without God. Atheos-Atheist." where you assert the truth of your claim that God exists as a "forgone [sic] conclusion"?

I never mentioned, or alluded to poor atheists'.
An atheist is without God, just as the word says, without embellishments.
Do you deny yhis?

I assert that it is a forgone conclusion that God exists for theists. Theism isn't the belief in the existence of God. It is the belief in God.
Your idea of theism is dressed up atheism.

Jan.

How is that in any way superior?
1. It is an assertion of truth that the other lacks visibility of, thus putting yourself in an superior position (i.e. you are declaring yourself sighted and the atheist blind).
2. It is an assertion that until one is as you are (accepting God) then one will continue to lack - again putting yourself, from your perspective, in the superior position over those that are not as you are.
3. A further assertion of the truth of God's existence (unless you wish to concede that you could believe IN something that you don't also believe exists?), coupled with a superiority of position that the lesser people might attain once he "accept God".
Your attitude is one of attempted superiority, Jan. It's a pity you can't see it in your own words. Or maybe I'm being too hopeful that if you could see it that you would actually curb your penchant for it.
I never mentioned, or alluded to poor atheists'.
Poor as in not at the "superior" level that is endowed to believers, as explained above.
An atheist is without God, just as the word says, without embellishments.
Do you deny yhis?
They are without God because, at their core, they lack belief in the existence of God - as the word is defined.
I assert that it is a forgone conclusion that God exists for theists.
Because they believe in the existence of God so strongly for it to be a non-consideration. And what they spend their time on is the less fundamental considerations - which differ from theist to theist.
Theism isn't the belief in the existence of God. It is the belief in God.
So you believe, yet almost every dictionary and source would suggest otherwise.
Your idea of theism is dressed up atheism.
You merely want the label to be associated with the clothes you wear rather than the underwear of theism. That is understandable, however inaccurate it may be.
But again, why are you continuing to divert the thread to matters of the semantics of labels? Do the labels define you philosophically more than your actual views? Really?
You seem hung up on the labels, Jan. It does you no good.

An interesting statement.
Would you care to elaborate?
Actually, it's entirely posssible I misread your intent.

Taken without context, as this is:
It is a forgone conclusion that God exists. You are, without God. Atheos-Atheist.
it reads as if you are saying one can derive that God exists as a foregone conclusion from the premise that it is possible to "be without" it. (i.e. being without something requires something to exist for one to be without it). That would be a very naive position to hold.

In retrospect, I don't think that's what you meant.

I don't even think you are asserting that "it is a foregone conclusion that God exists". I think you are merely putting it forth as a common tenet of thiests in general (i.e. "this is what theists, in-general, believe - that God is a foregone conclusion")

DaveC426913 said:
Not "having" something is not equatable to a shortcoming.

Nor is not "having" something necessarily equal to "having" something else.

That is to say, to be without God is, in this context, to not have a belief in God.

But I think there is an observable difference between not having a belief in God and not having a belief in unicorns. That is to say, one's relationship to the proposition of a monotheistic godhead is fundamentally different from one's relationship to the proposition of a unicorn.

To wit: Rare is the unicorn asserted to be a monotheistic godhead. Indeed, the nearest thing I can find in history are contemporary analogies requiring erasure of history.

What does it mean if God exists and this, that, and the other, rules, rules, rules, morality, glory unto God in the highest, and so on?

What does it mean if unicorns are real?

God fashions my experience according to His Will, as I understand the legend.

The unicorn is worth more to me dead than alive, as I understand the legend.

Right now the dispute seems to be more about invalidating one another than anything else.

"Without God" and "without unicorns" are only remotely equivalent in a perspective that cares none what belief in either actually means.

But I think there is an observable difference between not having a belief in God and not having a belief in unicorns. That is to say, one's relationship to the proposition of a monotheistic godhead is fundamentally different from one's relationship to the proposition of a unicorn.
Only to a theist. To an atheist, not so much.

To wit: Rare is the unicorn asserted to be a monotheistic godhead. Indeed, the nearest thing I can find in history are contemporary analogies requiring erasure of history.

What does it mean if God exists and this, that, and the other, rules, rules, rules, morality, glory unto God in the highest, and so on?
If a bunch of people developed a bunch of mythologies around unicorns, you'd get the same thing. That wouldn't make it any more real.

i.e. argument by popularity is still a fallacious argument.

DaveC426913 said:
Only to a theist. To an atheist, not so much.

And therein lies your problem.

Really, Dave, you need to stop invalidating everyone:

If a bunch of people developed a bunch of mythologies around unicorns, you'd get the same thing. That wouldn't make it any more real.

i.e. argument by popularity is still a fallacious argument.

You only make my point: "Without God" and "without unicorns" are only remotely equivalent in a perspective that cares none what belief in either actually means.

In the end, you render your own argument unreliable; your critique of other people's beliefs has nothing to do with those other people.

Its revealing to you, not to a conversant theist. The mistake which you are repeatedly making is attempting to objectify the God in casual manner. You will reach nowhere, not because there is no destination, but because of lack of ability of an ordinary mortal to pursue that.

Contd..

Jan ardena says that the existence of God is a foregone conclusion. This kind of statements can create further problems. As I said none, not even a theist, would be able to support this statement in objective manner. Statements like this would be immediately grabbed in the argument by those who question the existence of God, because the very next and obvious question about the 'form of God' will make it tough for theist to continue. The meaning of the word 'existence of God' as believed by a theist is not as simple as someone being present in physical form. An act X is moral for A, but immoral for B...then both A and B can never come together on this issue. Thats how theist and atheist are, in the logical and objective world atheist has upper hand in the argument, because faith has no associated objectivity and logic.

Thats how theist and atheist are, in the logical and objective world atheist has upper hand in the argument, because faith has no associated objectivity and logic.
Then on what is faith founded? What gives rise to it? (In your view).

Back