Oldest Disease

No it is called being precise with our wording. If you were on an operating table, I am sure you would want the professionals providing care to you to be as precise as possible. Then again maybe you would prefer a shaman...not as precise and you may not live long under his surgical care. But I am sure you would be able to understand each other.

Oh FFS, get your hand off it. :rolleyes: In case you aren’t sure, this isn’t an operating theatre with professionals providing medical care. Neither is it a rigorous academic site that demands total precision in scientific terminology. Many here don’t have any sort of scientific background. I concur with Fraggle that it is quite clear from the context the OP was referring to infectious diseases even if that wasn’t technically and precisely specified. People lecturing us about being “precise with our wording” come off as tiresome know-it-alls.

. Many here don’t have any sort of scientific background. .

That is quite obvious!!:) Why are you in SciForums then. Science is all about precision and knowledge. Why not post in a grungy ditto head blog where truth and knowledge are not wanted versus a science blog?

Last edited:
....I concur with Fraggle that it is quite clear from the context the OP was referring to infectious diseases even if that wasn’t technically and precisely specified. People lecturing us about being “precise with our wording” come off as tiresome know-it-alls.

yeah, know it all hair splitting tools! jerks.

Is a person to person disease older than a animal to person disease? Or did all disease start out as animal to person?

Humans, are the result of a continious series if retroviral infections. We are the result of several infectious agents....diseases are us. There is no hair splitting. And again, you have to say where on the evolutionary scale you want to begin this exercise. I expect you mean modern humans.

Two, since modern humans have been around for about 50000 years, the diseases that originally infected us are no longer around due to evolution. Some agents that were infectious may now not exist or are no longer infectious.

So perhaps the question should be, of the existing known diseases, which has been around the longest? And the answer to that question relies on our ability to detect the presence of the disease. It could have and probably did exist long before we detected the disease. So there is no really good way to answer this question.

yeah, know it all hair splitting tools! jerks.

Is a person to person disease older than a animal to person disease? Or did all disease start out as animal to person?

I'm taking an educated guess here, but I'd say it was all animal-to-animal originally, way back in the deep, deep pre-hominid past ca. 10 millions years ago, when we had not yet seperated ourselves from the apes.

As the various hominid species developed after the original split, they would have still had very close contact with the animal world, as they were still part of Nature themselves, not yet intelligent enough to have a 'culture' in the sense of having the idea of being seperated from the natural world, as we think of ourselves now. I could argue that it's only in the last 100-150 thousand years that anatomically and mentally modern humans--archaic and modern Homo Sapiens--have truly begun to seperate themselves from Nature and try to control their own destinies. The same could be said, at a stretch, for Homo Erectus, who were the first to leave Africa and explore the world, and for Homo Neanderthalis, who split from the ancestors of humanity some 500,000 years ago. It could be stretched even further back, to the time ca. 2.5 million years ago when Homo Habilis learned how to control fire, and thus modify their environment and begin the initial seperation from Nature as a controlling force in their lives.

So we could say that for the past 2.5 million years, about one third of our history as a species, the hominids and humans have been growing apart from Nature. I could argue that in terms of definition, disease transmission has been from animal-to-hominid or animal-to-human since then.

...So we could say that for the past 2.5 million years, about one third of our history as a species, the hominids and humans have been growing apart from Nature. I could argue that in terms of definition, disease transmission has been from animal-to-hominid or animal-to-human since then.

thank you

...Is a person to person disease older than a animal to person disease? Or did all disease start out as animal to person?
I do not know, but want to note that many diseases will not cross between species, and those that do often have different effects.
I have worked with Rhesis monkeys. They get a "cold" like disease, called "Simin B."
If they give it to you by scratching you, you are very likely to die from it.

I think that people kissing babies is more of a risk to the baby than a worm-free dog licking them.

Back