Ok scientists...what's at the end of the universe?

moementum7

~^~You First~^~
Registered Senior Member
Yes, I know this is one of the oldest questions in the book and has been intellectually desensitized to most individuals but I felt it would be fun and/or intriguing to ask this question of the most logical minds.

So...does the universe end...and if it does...how?...and if not...how or is that logical?

Only the most logical may apply...thanks:)

I find it interesting that many arm chair scientists are more caught up in the focus of the small...but for some reason do not give as much attention or value to looking at the bigger picture...why is that do you think or is this even a fair assessment?

the begining of the universe of course:p
its a huge ball and you just go around in a circle

Here's a good question: if the universe has limits (which, if it is expanding, and it apparantly is, then it does have boundaries):

What are these boundaries made out of? The "edge" of the universe, the wall between the universe and "nothingness" or whatever is outside. What is that "wall" made of? How do you "pass through" it?

you cant, you just go around in a circle. Its the same as following the inside of a soap bubble. It expands as you blow air into it but there is no edge

there is no end. If you were to travel in a straight line through space, you woudl eventually return to your original starting point. There is no edge of the universe. The "borders" of the universe are in a higher dimension.
@Norse, Michio Kaku talks about this in both of the books I was telling you about. All the more reason for you to read them ;)

This is what I'm getting at...I expected the discussion to become more defined with the conclusion of offered suggestions.

If the physical universe is expanding...what is it expanding "into"?

Again, I'm looking for logical awnsers.
If you somehow arrive at where you began how is that possible?

I am subtly suggesting that there will be a stress on the current logical understanding of the universe as we currently understand it.

there is no end. If you were to travel in a straight line through space, you woudl eventually return to your original starting point. There is no edge of the universe. The "borders" of the universe are in a higher dimension.
@Norse, Michio Kaku talks about this in both of the books I was telling you about. All the more reason for you to read them ;)

Also directed at Asguard:

You can pass through a soap bubble, and travel through the middle to reach the "end"

Therefore there is an end. What is the "end" of the universe made of? And how do you "pass through"? What do you pass into?

What is the universe expanding into? If it is nothingness, then how can somethingness exist in the middle of nothingness?

you are looking at it the wrong way, we are not INSIDE the soap bubble. We are the SURFACE of the soap bubble

you are looking at it the wrong way, we are not INSIDE the soap bubble. We are the SURFACE of the soap bubble

How is that possible?

Imagine a sphere....we are located within a sphere (or whatever shape the universe happens to be, or if it is shapeless)

Anyway we are located WITHIN the universe not ON the universe.

What is INSIDE the universe, then?

I'd say either energy death, Gravitation collapse(occilating/crunch theory), or "we" run into another universe(s).

the universe IS the surface of the soap bubble. There is no inside because its just a representation.

For the representation to work however you have to be two dementional on a 3D bubble i think

That still makes no sense. We can gaze into the universe

This means it has depth

Which means it has a "thickness"

Which means it has boundaries

There really is no such thing as a straight line in the universe. The very fabric of space is curved. so even if you use a highly highly advanced navigational system, you will still travel in a arch.

I'd say either energy death, Gravitation collapse(occilating/crunch theory), or "we" run into another universe(s).

"First Law of Thermodynamics

The first law of thermodynamics is often called the Law of Conservation of Energy. This law suggests that energy can be transferred from one system to another in many forms. Also, it can not be created or destroyed. Thus, the total amount of energy available in the Universe is constant."

found from: http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/6e.html

Matter and energy CANNOT be created or destroyed, unless some "all powerful being" made it.

im not 100% sure if it requires the 2D\3D model or not. However im reasonably sure it does. Ie you cant go up or down through the skin, your directions are limited to forwards, backwards, left\right ect

a good example would be going from antatica to the artic. You can travel in any direction you like and as long as you go straight you will eventually get there but as you cant go through the earth or up into space you can only follow the compass points. In the case of the universe up and down dont even exist, you can physically only travel along the edge.

The part that always confuses me is where worm holes come into it, are they tunnels through the hypothetical 3D bubble

There really is no such thing as a straight line in the universe. The very fabric of space is curved. so even if you use a highly highly advanced navigational system, you will still travel in a arch.

I agree in a 1 dimensional sense, but this does not take into account the capability for conscious corrections over a distance which in any seperated account may be curved, but overall point B can always become directly furthest away from point A through constant correction.
If this were not possible a plane could not make it from one destination to another.
So again, in a compartmentalized physical way yes there is no such thing as a straight line...but when intelligent consciousness is applied to the equation an arch can be corrected thus ending up with a striaght line in theory with nothing but small curvatures in nature.

Anyways...hoping this doesn't get too far off topic as interesting as it is.:)

Imagine this:
Picture a two dimensional universe. Imagine it is shaped like a tennis ball. Beings in this two dimensional universe would live on the surface of the ball. Their planets would be very tiny rings on the surface of the ball. When they looked up into their sky, they would think they were looking “into” their universe. Their universe would also appear to be flat to them because it is so large compared to their tiny planets. But no matter how hard they tried, they could never leave their universe, because in their world, there is only two dimensions, east/west, and north/south. They have no up/down dimension. So they could travel north in their universe until they were blue in their 2D faces, but eventually they would end up at their starting point. Same thing would happen if they traveled east or west. They would somehow have to invent some sort of machine that would allow them to travel “up” off of the surface of the ball. The strange thing is, is that the boundary of their universe is literally a tiny tiny distance “above” the surface of their universe. So traveling north/south or east/west would never get them any closer to the boundaries of their universe. No matter where they go, the boundary is just right “above” them.

This same problem applies to a three dimensional universe. We can travel in any direction from earth, forward/backward, east/west, or up/down, but we will never be any closer to the boundaries. The boundary lies just barely beyond our grasp.

What is beyond that boundary? The fourth spatial dimension of course. But since we have never been to the 4th spatial dimension, and have no way of traveling to it, we can never truly understand the nature of it. It would be completely baffling to us, much the way our 3D universe would be completely baffling to a 2 dimensional being.

Hopefully, this helps.

your wrong, its impossable. Walk around the globe in a straight line without losing contact with the earth. Do you walk off into space or do you come back to where you started?

Back