Offsring Maturity Time Spans?

The thread is not about the brain, Enmos, but about the time span for offspring to mature. In all/most other mammals, the offspring mature damned quickly ....yet in humans/hominids, the offspring take years and years to mature. Why? When? How?

Go back and read through the thread, ....it ain't very long and you'll see what we're talkin' about.

Baron Max

Baron, it takes long to raise humans because they are born with an underdeveloped brain. I gave the reasons of why this happens earlier.

Maybe it's because we live so long and our social life style. They also have a relatively large brain. Elephants have a similar lifespan and social structure and have about the same average number of offspring at a time and don't reach maturity until about 10 to 15 years of age, which is about the same as us. So for whatever reason it must have been an evolutionary advantage or at least not a severe enough disadvantage to cause any selection to take place.

Thanks Spidey.

Baron, this is from the article:
The most popular candidate has been intelligence. A big and complex brain takes a lot of time to develop, and in humans much of that development must occur after birth, because bipedalism limits birth-canal width, which has in turn constrained the head size of newborns.

Last edited:
So, .....y'all think that evolutionary processes just suddenly popped up with bigger brains and longer juvenile lives ....and saw that it was a good thing, so kept it? Just like that? Poof? And only for man (and apparently elephants?)?

I'm damned skeptical, guys, because in most all other things about changes in natural life, y'all have taught me that it takes millions of years and goes through thousands of minor changes to evolve into ...whatever.

Baron Max

And of all of the billions of creatures on Earth, humans were the only creatures in which that occured?

Baron Max

Humans are not the only creatures around that have unique characteristics. Besides, it's not just humans it's their entire group (at least the Homininae).

Humans are not the only creatures around that have unique characteristics. ...

Name a few with such far-reaching and clearly disruptive to normal life as that of the long, long span of maturity.

I can't grasp how that change ever continued in hominids. A helpless baby is one thing that might have been overcome for a very short time. But to have a baby that was completely helpless for almost half of the normal lifespan of the species is astounding!!! Why didn't evolution see that it had failed, then gone back to the quick babies??

In short, it seems to me that evolution failed badly, yet came out smelling like a rose! Well, wait a minute, maybe it's not smelling like a rose after all. From my perspective, humans are a scourge on the Earth and are the most destructive of all creatures ever invented. So, ...perhaps evolution is just going through the motions in order to eliminate the human species altogether and get back to the better animals.

Baron Max

Last edited by a moderator:
far-reaching and clearly disruptive to normal life
These are your qualifications of it. Nature does not intend.

I can't grasp how that change ever continued in hominids. A helpless baby is one thing that might have been overcome for a very short time. But to have a baby that was completely helpless for almost half of the normal lifespan of the species is astounding!!! Why didn't evolution see that it had failed, then gone back to the quick babies??
Obviously, this could only have happened if the parents were already equipped to deal with it.

In short, it seems to me that evolution failed badly, yet came out smelling like a rose! Well, wait a minute, maybe it's not smelling like a rose after all. From my perspective, humans are a scourge on the Earth and are the most destructive of all creatures ever invented. So, ...perhaps evolution is just going through the motions in order to eliminate the human species altogether and get back to the better animals.
I appreciate the idea :D
But again, nature doesn't intend or plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back