Not hiring someone on grounds of Religious belief

Sarkus

Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe
Valued Senior Member
Hypothetical Question: Is it wrong to not hire someone on the grounds of their religious belief?

I'm not talking about being prejudice against one religion or another - but not hiring someone BECAUSE they have a religious belief.

I was thinking that in a job that requires good common sense, rational analysis, logical thinking - why would you hire someone that believes in God - and thus who openly admits to being irrational, illogical and/or delusional.

Is there a court in the US or UK, for example, that would support this position?

Basically - why is religion the only area of peoples' lives that is beyond scrutiny when it comes to psychological state of mind?

I wont hire people of thoes caste that killed my parents, abused me, robbed my brother, they dont know eachother but they all spoke same language. Now these people are famous for such acts so I will make sure that they are eliminated , hiring is nowhere in question for such people, simple

I think that religion is brain washing people all over the world.
is it a coincidence that religios people are uually the same religion as their parents?
No, people are hardly given a choice when it comes to religion. They believe ahat they are brought up to believe
It is brain washing us!
Stamp it out!
Right out!

Pi-Sudoku said:
I think that religion is brain washing people all over the world.
is it a coincidence that religios people are uually the same religion as their parents?
No, people are hardly given a choice when it comes to religion. They believe ahat they are brought up to believe
It is brain washing us!
Stamp it out!
Right out!

Although they were of same my religion they were from a notorious caste

Could it be that theists are hypocrites, hence when placed in real life situations, think very much like an atheist, rationally and reasonably?

Nah.

in answer to your question i doubt that the UK would suport that, there laws are similar to Aust (to the exstent that our court desisions can be used as presedent in there courts) and its DEFINITLY not alowed here.

Sarkus said:
Hypothetical Question: Is it wrong to not hire someone on the grounds of their religious belief?

I'm not talking about being prejudice against one religion or another - but not hiring someone BECAUSE they have a religious belief.

I was thinking that in a job that requires good common sense, rational analysis, logical thinking - why would you hire someone that believes in God - and thus who openly admits to being irrational, illogical and/or delusional.

Is there a court in the US or UK, for example, that would support this position?

Basically - why is religion the only area of peoples' lives that is beyond scrutiny when it comes to psychological state of mind?
In the US that would be wrong to do. It would be considered discrimination. A person's ability to do the job should be the basis for there qualification for employment. To not hire them based on race, color, gender, religion, or lifestyle, is not allowable in the US and is against the law.

In most countries discrimination against a religion is not supported by courts (with possible exceptions of theocratic states).

However, if you are very insistent on your believes in your resume while applying for instance for a science job, one might consider you not to be a perfect candidate. You might not get invited for a job interview for instance. No one would openly put forward belief as the reason, though (as discrimination against religion is usually forbidden).
On the other hand, one has usually to be very "agressively" religious to be a denied a job (openly or not).

person's ability to do the job should be the basis for there qualification for employment
Doesn't adhering to a religion at all indicate that they're disqualified for a job that requires rational thought?
Umm, I have an irrational belief in an unprovable deity, but I, having thereby demonstrated that I don't believe science is correct, expect you to trust me to do the calculations for this bridge you're building?
Never thought about 'til I read your question Sarkus. Demonstrates how insidious religious belief is, non-believers rarely question belief on that level.
Change the wording: would it be wrong to refuse someone a job because they expressed a belief in living their life according to what they'd been told (or had read they were told) by the chewing-gum wrapper that someone found on the street?
Put like that the answer has to be, I'd not only refuse them the job, but I'd ring for the guys in white coats.

Oli said:
Doesn't adhering to a religion at all indicate that they're disqualified for a job that requires rational thought?
Umm, I have an irrational belief in an unprovable deity, but I, having thereby demonstrated that I don't believe science is correct, expect you to trust me to do the calculations for this bridge you're building?
I would have to disagree with those questions, Oli, because people from Eastern religions have excelled in math & computer sciences and have demonstrated to be reliable employees. Even when they are overtly dressed according to their religious doctrines to their interviews, their resumes demonstrate that they would be excellent candidates for the position they are applying for. Their belief in a god, or gods, should not be in questioned whether they can perform the job assignments. An employer's only question should be if they are dependable to do the job.

Sarkus said:
no.

Sarkus said:
understood, however it would be irrational to hire someone who was irrational, your asking for trouble.

Sarkus said:
would you put them in a position of authority, no of course not.
working a broom or shovel, thats about the limit.

Sarkus said:
no, it's discrimination.
but I dont employ them.
when interviewing someone if they happen to mention there religious or I find out from some other means,( and I mean all religions even buddism, taoism)I make some excuse, Ie the other candidate was slightly better, you've not had enough experience, your over qualified for this position, etc...
I have to find out before their employed as it near impossible to get rid after, they are a danger to other people, religion kills.

Sarkus said:
go figure.

Yeah SVRP, I agree totally that belief does not preclude ability in maths, etc. but the point (or maybe two points) I was expressing badly :) was:
there's a dichotomy/ hypocrisy (on their part), a belief in the "supernatural" but also an acceptance that science works
and, for the more "devout", like I said, if you rephrase the way I did with the chewing gum wrapper then that person would be regarded as mentally unstable.
It's an indicator of how much religious belief is taken as normal, and I read Sarkus' question as asking why do we, and should we?

If you think religious people arnt capable of being the most brillant people on earth rember that Newton belived in god

Since when has logic been considered unacceptable grounds upon which to base a belief? While not all beliefs in God rest on logic, it would be untrue to say that all beliefs in a God are entirely unfounded. The origin of the universe is as yet unknown. An uncaused cause is as good a theory as the uncaused universe. Each have their own backing logic. Mere belief in a God does not preclude rationality. That is a fantasy you like to entertain. Many, probably most, religions hold reason in high esteem. Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, each of these religions teaches that one of the beautiful distinctions between man and animal is intellect, rationality. The most brilliant men in history held religious beliefs. The greatest civilizations in history all held their own religious beliefs. Consider the monumental achievements of the Egyptians, which necessitated strong scientific understanding, who were also highly religious.

Humans are historically both religious and scientific. The two fields represent the two basic functions of the mind, which exist in every human mind. To deny someone employment based on the fact that they're religious is to deny that they're human. Moreover, it's a denial of a part of yourself.

and why add budaisum to your list the preacher ? surly that religion is EXACTLY what you want in a scientist or doc? It teaches you to question EVERYTHING

If you think religious people arnt capable of being the most brillant people on earth rember that Newton belived in god
He did, and thereby wasted a large portion of his brilliance on something that does not provably exist.
Moreover, it's a denial of a part of yourself
Okay, tell me where that part is and I'll start looking after it. :p

Oli said:
Yeah SVRP, I agree totally that belief does not preclude ability in maths, etc. but the point (or maybe two points) I was expressing badly :) was:
there's a dichotomy/ hypocrisy (on their part), a belief in the "supernatural" but also an acceptance that science works
and, for the more "devout", like I said, if you rephrase the way I did with the chewing gum wrapper then that person would be regarded as mentally unstable.
It's an indicator of how much religious belief is taken as normal, and I read Sarkus' question as asking why do we, and should we?
Understood, Oli, and thank you for the reply. My point is to be fair to all individuals not matter what beliefs or state of mind the person contains. Discrimination is a very slippy slope to walk on, and lawsuits are inevitable if found out (I am involved in a class-action lawsuit against a national company because they discriminated against gender).

An employer may take into consideration profile tests for rationality before a candidate is hired, but even those who consider themselves "rational" may not pass the test because they are considered "unstable". A belief system provides an emotional anchor and stability for the many stresses that a job creates on a person. It should be an asset for any employer who is looking to fulfill a position. And as Asgard has pointed out there are many brilliant scientists who believe in God.

Discrimination is a very slippy slope to walk on
Agreed again. Since I've assumed this is a philosophical discussion as opposed to real life as it is lived I've taken a stance somewhat harder than I ever actually would :D But the points raised remain valid.
But I did find the question, and subsequent answers, interesting hence the participation.

Last edited:
Asguard said:
and just imagine how much more brillant, he would have been if it was'nt for that bit irrationality, holding him back.

beyondtimeandspace said:
Since when has logic been considered unacceptable grounds upon which to base a belief?
if the believe is a fact or has very good evidence for it's truth then, then never, however if the believe is based on faith, then it is unacceptable.
beyondtimeandspace said:
While not all beliefs in God rest on logic,
no belief in god rest in logic.
beyondtimeandspace said:
it would be untrue to say that all beliefs in a God are entirely unfounded.
no it would'nt, without any evidence to back it up it must be unfounded.
beyondtimeandspace said:
The origin of the universe is as yet unknown. An uncaused cause is as good a theory
no as it would be infantile to believe that way, you may as well say that a big blue dolphin riding a horse caused it.
beyondtimeandspace said:
as the uncaused universe.
the uncaused universe makes more sense than any god did it theory. .
beyondtimeandspace said:
Each have their own backing logic.
no only one has a backing in logic, the other is purely faith. .
beyondtimeandspace said:
Mere belief in a God does not preclude rationality.
when it comes to a sky daddy, oh yes it does. .
beyondtimeandspace said:
That is a fantasy you like to entertain. Many, probably most, religions hold reason in high esteem.
thats as maybe, but reason should be the foremost tool man uses, and not be held back by some irrational faith, the world needs more critcal thinkers, we dont need sheep..
beyondtimeandspace said:
Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, each of these religions teaches that one of the beautiful distinctions between man and animal is intellect, rationality.
but it is irrational, therefore contradicts it's self. .
beyondtimeandspace said:
The most brilliant men in history held religious beliefs. The greatest civilizations in history all held their own religious beliefs. Consider the monumental achievements of the Egyptians, which necessitated strong scientific understanding, who were also highly religious.
but think how far more advanced we'd be now, if it was'nt for the iirrationality of religion.
beyondtimeandspace said:
Humans are historically both religious and scientific. The two fields represent the two basic functions of the mind, which exist in every human mind.
no humans have a objective half and a subjective half These two fields represent the two basic functions of the mind, we need both of these to be human, and as humans should know the difference between reality and fantasy.
beyondtimeandspace said:
To deny someone employment based on the fact that they're religious
no there not denied a job based on religion, but the fact that they can not discern between fantasy and reality.
beyondtimeandspace said:
is to deny that they're human.
no not so it's just dangerous to employ someone who is irrational.
beyondtimeandspace said:
Moreover, it's a denial of a part of yourself.
I think it is more sensible of me to have a work force who can critcal think and who are very unlikely of causeing any danger to their fellow workers.

asguard said:
and why add budaisum to your list the preacher ? surly that religion is EXACTLY what you want in a scientist or doc? It teaches you to question EVERYTHING
the body, mind concept could be good, however the spirit concept loses it for me as soon as any religion brings in the irrational, in the buddhist case karma and rebirth, then it means they can not be wholly rational. does'nt it. .

Back