Non-material "Consciousness" - the flaw

These are all material:
Forces / Gravity / Magnetism - all are material in that they are merely different aspects of the same universal... "thing" (whether that be strings or some other interpretation etc).

OK. Then consciousness is a part of that thing. So are emotions by the way.

Experience is nothing more than observation - the interaction of the material to the senses - interpreted through material processes within the brain and stored as memory.
Afterall - remove ALL your senses and you will have NO input for the brain to interpret.
Remove the brain and you can not process the inputs from the senses.

This is a weak argument. If two things are necessary for something to occur, removing one and saying 'see there is nothing else' does not work. But I am not arguing that there is something else. I am saying that the physical brain and the non-physical brain are part of one thing. You seem to want to include everything as matter, even magnetic fields, light, etc. I don't see where your problem with a soul comes in. I don't see where you get your idea of the word 'material' either.

While simple machines can have inputs/senses and an element of interpretation, it is a degree of complexity, and precise complexity most likely, that separates conscious from non-conscious.

And something not found at lower levels of complexity exists there.

Define what you consider to be "material" then - so that I may see what point you are trying to make. Bear in mind that I am not talking lumps of matter (wood, atoms etc) but much smaller - down to the smallest as yet undiscovered realms - i.e. the objective nature of matter / energy / forces etc.

Why would you refer to energy as material? That seems like a rhetorical ploy? A billiard ball is still. A billiard ball is accelerating. This latter has more material than the former? Come on.

Absolutely - a self-sustaining "pattern" of energy / interactions / chemicals etc. We can observe elements of it (ECG etc) but interpretation externally still eludes us, created by and comprising of nothing but matter.

Again, using matter to mean energy also. It seems like you want to make matter predominant, but know you need to account for energy and even forces. So you call them matter also. You could at least admit this is an odd tack.

Consciousness is undoubtedly the most complex thing we have come across and it might possibly be that we never fully understand the mechanics of what constitutes consciousness (or even scratch the surface of it) such that we have the equation for life, so to speak, and can just implant it into anything. But I am more concerned with the illogic of the claim of absolute non-material than the actual make-up of a material consciousness.

Given your definition of material, which is, as said, an odd one. I have no problem accepting that souls are material. That said, I do not have to assume that we have the capability of detecting them yet with devices.

Exactly - consciousness is observable - and thus at some level must interact with the material, agreed?
Now - if you hold it is non-material - how does it interact with the material?
What is happening at the border between non-materiality and materiality?

The same ways other energetic patterns interact with the material.

Granted. But all the phenomena that have been confirmed have been material. :)
And the theist claim of the immaterial soul is one of absolute immateriality - not just merely some "not-understood material phenomena".
And if it is material - as they claim - where is the observation / evidence?
There are many phenomena that were observed by humans long before they could be detected by devices. Some of these phenomena were called unreal by scientists. They seem to have little memory of this.

I don't see where you get your idea of the word 'material' either.
Why would you refer to energy as material? That seems like a rhetorical ploy? A billiard ball is still. A billiard ball is accelerating. This latter has more material than the former? Come on.
Again, using matter to mean energy also. It seems like you want to make matter predominant, but know you need to account for energy and even forces. So you call them matter also. You could at least admit this is an odd tack.
"Material" is anything that is composed of the fundamental nature of the Universe.
Energy and "solid matter" are the same - merely in different states / frequencies / guises etc.

As for your billiard ball analogy - I'm afraid you are not using a closed system - but an open one.
For a billiard ball to accelerate there must be a force acting upon it - and a loss of energy in another system - but the mass / energy of the entire closed system remains constant.

So I do not see a difference between energy and matter - merely transformations from one state of material to another: If a lump of "matter" (e.g. that can be held in the hand) could expend energy (e.g. as heat) at the same rate (Joules / sec etc) for a sufficiently long time - the lump of "matter" would no longer exist as such - but would have expended itself as energy. There is thus an equivalence - which means that both are "material" in nature - i.e. composed of the same fundamental "stuff" - "stuff" that only interacts with itself.

I think the confusion comes because most people see "matter" as something they can hold in their hand, for example. I am looking at it in more fundamental terms.

Given your definition of material, which is, as said, an odd one. I have no problem accepting that souls are material. That said, I do not have to assume that we have the capability of detecting them yet with devices.
Then you are at odds with most theists - who claim them to be absolutely non-material - and not merely energy.

Also - you then come across the whole issue of the (ir)rationality of a "belief" in such things given that there is no existing evidence. (Again, that is not to say they definitely don't exist - but with no evidence to support that they do, belief would be irrational). But that is another story.

The same ways other energetic patterns interact with the material.
See above.

There are many phenomena that were observed by humans long before they could be detected by devices. Some of these phenomena were called unreal by scientists. They seem to have little memory of this.
Sure - I have no issue with that. If theists wish to claim that souls are in fact material (as described / understood above) then we are merely left with the irrationality of their claim, rather than the logical impossibility.

the problem is why we are frequently puzzled by our inability to reduce everything to energy, waves and patterns
if you could reduce consciousness to waves, energies and patterns - yes
As stated earlier in response to Grover - inability to at present is no grounds for disputing the logic, especially when one accepts the current limitations.

the car/driver analogy illustrates how the driver is the absolute essential aspect of a moving vehicle - even if a car is completely mechanically sound, it will not move an inch in a million years without a driver.

The analogy illustrates spirit as the essential driving quality of matter...
It is the purpose of analogy to illustrate something unknown with something known - in other words analogy works by suggesting how one thing is "similar" to another - to work with an analogy as an "exact" representation is foolishness.
But if the key aspect of the claim (non-materiality of consciousness) can not be explained through the analogy (driver / car interaction) then the analogy is worthless.

All your analogy can do is explain how one needs consciousness to drive the body. Fine. No issue with that. Never has been. However, your analogy can NOT help explain the interaction between the non-material consciousness and the material body.

i.e.
If one accepts that consciousness in non-material then the analogy can not explain the non-material / material interaction through use of the analogous material / material (driver / car) interaction.

If one accepts that consciousness is material then the analogy remains sound, although the precise mechanics of the material / material interaction remains elusive.

This is the flaw in your analogy.

"As for your billiard ball analogy - I'm afraid you are not using a closed system - but an open one.
For a billiard ball to accelerate there must be a force acting upon it - and a loss of energy in another system - but the mass / energy of the entire closed system remains constant.

yes, I am getting the hang of your way of using material. I just think very few scientists would say there is more material in accelerating billiard ball.

I think the confusion comes because most people see "matter" as something they can hold in their hand, for example. I am looking at it in more fundamental terms.

Well, again. I think even most scientists would think of not use matter to cover both matter and energy.

Then you are at odds with most theists - who claim them to be absolutely non-material - and not merely energy.

Most monotheists perhaps. Though actually I doubt many of them run down into these disctintions. Do you really think when most Christians say non-material they are thinking that things like magnetic fields and heat are material? Me, I'm a pagan and I don't want to go to far defending them, but it seems to me you are thinking of certain theologens who muss around with abstractions and never would have gotten along well with the founders of their religions or other mystics, let alone the believer on the street.

Also - you then come across the whole issue of the (ir)rationality of a "belief" in such things given that there is no existing evidence. (Again, that is not to say they definitely don't exist - but with no evidence to support that they do, belief would be irrational). But that is another story.

This is a commonly held confusion. There is experience, but no proof for those without experience right now. You are confusing two things. What is rational for me to conclude from my experience with what constitutes a good proof for those without experience. Those are two different things. Let me give two mundane examples. One: animals as sentient creatures. Creatures with emotions and intentions and consciousness. For a long time in the history of science this was seen as anthropomorphism and one's career was in jeopardy if one dared to talk about such things as real. However many people, based on their experience of animals, felt that animals had these qualities and didn't give a shit about scientists' attitudes here. These people were not irrational. Scientists have come to accept publications and assertions of animal emotions and intentions and consciousness - without ever really admitting that the denial of this was in fact irrational.
Two: rogue waves. Sailors reported large waves that did not fit with other waves on the sea at a given time. These reports were poo pooed by oceanographers and other scientists as impossible. Later video cameras and in the end satellite technology confirmed the reports which had been poo pooed as irrational.

Consider the possibility that some people have experiences because 1) they are more open to them 2) they have some sort of training: meditation, shamanic experiences, etc. 3) they have a genetic predisposition to being better at certain kinds of experience/pattern recognition. This ability, whatever its root, is equivalent to the sailors being out at sea. The sailors were not irrational in their beliefs and then later became rational when scientists confirmed their experiences. They simply had a different set of experiences from the landlubbers who assumed they could PROJECT their current theories onto all situations and that their technological ability was solid enough to rule out any later detection confirming the sailors' experiences.

I have no doubt that whatever it is that I consider the soul is a part of what you call the material of the universe. I do not think it is irrational for me to believe in souls given my experiences. That describing these to you in great detail would not constitute a proof FOR YOU, is something I am aware of. But there are plenty of phenomena that were first noticed and rationally explained by people well before scientists had the interest, wherewithal and open enough minds to 'prove' by their standards.

Sure - I have no issue with that. If theists wish to claim that souls are in fact material (as described / understood above) then we are merely left with the irrationality of their claim, rather than the logical impossibility.

See above.

You´re way off base here; there is no such thing as "matter", it is only for practical purposes. Now we go with "energy in motion".
Matter is energy in motion, and so is everything else; so all there is are different vibrations and frequencies of energy.
Matter is low vibration frequency energy, and consciousness is the highest vibration frequency energy.
There is no such thing as smell, taste, touch, etc... Our five senses are programmed to "read" different frequencies of cosmic energy.
Life evolved on this Earth with a limited vibrational frequency, not all the range of frequencies of the energetic field. And we evolved for our five senses to perceive only within the limitations of the given range of vibrational frequecy.

Our mind lives only within that limitation, and it won´t go farther because there is no need as in survival purposes, but consciousness doesn´t come from the mind.

The whole universe is mind, and we are just a little part of that mind, consciousness is just the vibrational frequency on which that mind works.

The mind is everything, what you think you become... Gautam Buddha

yes, I am getting the hang of your way of using material. I just think very few scientists would say there is more material in accelerating billiard ball.
As the fundamentals are researched in more detail you may yet see it happening...
... and remember - you read it here first! :D

Well, again. I think even most scientists would think of not use matter to cover both matter and energy.
Not in colloquial terms. Unfortunately "material" is the only way I can think to describe it.

Most monotheists perhaps. Though actually I doubt many of them run down into these disctintions.
Most probably do not even question their beliefs.

Do you really think when most Christians say non-material they are thinking that things like magnetic fields and heat are material?
No - and because they don't it gives rise to any number of different problems... we can measure / observe heat and magnetic fields - so why not their "non-material" claims etc? Basically by not doing so leaves them room to manoeuvre in irrationally justifying their beliefs.

Me, I'm a pagan and I don't want to go to far defending them...
:D
...but it seems to me you are thinking of certain theologens who muss around with abstractions and never would have gotten along well with the founders of their religions or other mystics, let alone the believer on the street.
Not really - I'm thinking of all those who don't question what it is they are really saying - and all those who do but don't understand what they're saying (the implications and conclusions).

This is a commonly held confusion.
No - it's not a confusion. The confusion is in thinking that "irrational" equates to "wrong".

I am quite happy that an irrational belief can be later proven correct.
I have no issue with it at all.
"(Ir)rationality" describes the thought process - not the thought itself.
It describes the route taken - not the destination.

Consider the possibility that some people have experiences because 1) they are more open to them 2) they have some sort of training: meditation, shamanic experiences, etc. 3) they have a genetic predisposition to being better at certain kinds of experience/pattern recognition.

Considered... and it merely moves the irrationality to a different position.
Noone doubts that experiences are had - experiences that can not be explained.
But rationality must lie in the interpretation of the experience - and that interpretation must lie with the evidence or else be deemed irrational. No evidence... no rationality.
Again, bear in mind that this is NOT saying the interpretation is wrong - just don't expect others to accept it.

This ability, whatever its root, is equivalent to the sailors being out at sea. The sailors were not irrational in their beliefs and then later became rational when scientists confirmed their experiences. They simply had a different set of experiences from the landlubbers who assumed they could PROJECT their current theories onto all situations and that their technological ability was solid enough to rule out any later detection confirming the sailors' experiences.
This analogy is somewhat weak...
The experience is entirely material in nature, you agree?
There was evidence to support the claims made by the sailors: physical damage to ships, the fact that waves do exist and waves to interact etc. While not particularly compelling it is far more than exists for claims by theists. Unless a more rational explanation could be given (other than "you're lying" :D) then there would be no reason to think the sailors irrational in their thoughts - even if ultimately proven correct or incorrect. However, IF a more rational explanation could be given that fits the facts - to believe in the rogue waves would have been irrational.

I have no doubt that whatever it is that I consider the soul is a part of what you call the material of the universe. I do not think it is irrational for me to believe in souls given my experiences. That describing these to you in great detail would not constitute a proof FOR YOU, is something I am aware of. But there are plenty of phenomena that were first noticed and rationally explained by people well before scientists had the interest, wherewithal and open enough minds to 'prove' by their standards.
Rationality is not a question of "proof" but of being able to provide more rational explanations. If one can't - okay - the belief is rational (regardless of ultimately correct or not) but if there IS a more rational explanation then the belief is irrational.

The problem with subjective experiences, entirely contained within the brain, is that so little is known of consciousness and the workings of the brain that the more likely explanation in almost all cases is that something unknown is happening in the brain, rather than some external "non-material" "thing" is interacting with us.

When we know so little about the workings of that which we have evidence for (the brain), why jump to conclusions/beliefs of things for which no other evidence exists (the "non-material" / the "soul" etc?).

How does a non-material phenomena interact with the material?

Because non-material is material. This does not mean that the non-material does not exist. That would be like saying that because blue color is a form of light, red color does not exist.

You can also say that material is non-material (spiritual). Because both the material and non-material are like two colors, parts of one light, one energy, in different states.

Wow, REading through all of this is tiring amd giving me a headache.

[Papaver takes a deep cleansing breath]

But, Sarkus has been saying something that is essentially correct and has been accepted since the early 19th century. And it is this (paraphrased);

Matter and energy are the same

This is correct. and we can quantify their eqivalence using Eistien's famous equation ;

E = Mc^2

In other words, matter and energy can be thought of as equivalent. Quatitatively they are related by the speed of light squared (and that assumes perfect conversion efficiency, which is rarely the case.

One poster asked ;

I just think very few scientists would say there is more material in accelerating billiard ball.

Well, we would not say it that way, but it is true nonetheless. The extra kinetic energy in the accelerating billiard ball could be expressed as a mass equivalence using einsteins formula as ;

Extra mass = (extra energy of acceleration) / c^ 2

All physicists accept Eistien's e=mc^2 as true. I am unaware of any debate about this in Physdics today. It is perfectly correct and acceptable to say that mass and energy are equivalent.

Fields (that is, gravitational fields, electromagnetic fields) are an expression of POTENTIAL ENERGY distributed over a region of space. A field is not technically energy, but if something enters into a field, energy will be expended. Fields are really nothing more than mathematical constructs that we wouod use to predict potential forces and energy that would be expended if X were to occur.

[begin lecture on the philosophical abuse of QM]

We can talk about uncertainty and QM, but first let me say something here. Philosopher's often take great flights of fancy with QM. Feynman used to say that "if you think you understand it, you don't". Another quote often attributed to him when someone in the class would ask about QM was "shutup and calculate". While this quote orginally is from Heisenburg, Fynman did say it to his students when they would ask about understnading QM. On thing that I heard Feynaman say at a lecture was this, " The eonly people who abuse quantum theory more than the physics student is the philosopher who usually have no idea what it is or what it means". We all laughed about that one, but when I saw the movie WTFDWK, I remembered Feynman's words and just how true it was. The one thing to remember is this, QM is a mathematical model using wave theory. It doesn't necessarily mean that events are waves nor that matter are waves, only that we are using a wave model to calculate probable outcomes of an event. Just because the wave function "collapses" does NOT mean that the event does so. This usually means only that our probable set of events will faill to occur. That's all.

So, next time you want to talk about QM, just "shutup and calculate" the solutions to the diff equation for the event in question.

[end lecture on the philosophical abuse of QM]

Now, more about the topic, I ave to ask. Does anyone her believe that we will ever be able to cause a computer system, or nueral network, or set of computing devices to have some form of consciousness ?

And, do you believe that there are levels of consciousness, from simple to much more complex ?

For example a paramecium swims into a region of his little world that is just a bitt acidic for it, and it tries to swim away from it. Is this a consciousness decision on the part of our paramecium ?

Consdier, it sensed from sensory organ an environment that is not to its liking, and it responds by trying to swim away from it.

Or higher level.....

A slug senses a pirce of metal in its path and changes its direction of movement. Is this a form of consciousness ? some might sya that it is a reflix action. But allow me to ask, is a reflx action a low form of conscious activity ?

I think that it is.

A shark senses its prey in the water and does it then make a decision to pursue it ? Would it also use input from its hunger sensors to make that decision ?

OK, let's consider a higher level of consciousness, the idea of self-awareness. I've a question. For a liviing thing to be self-aware, what must it first recognise ?

My answer is that it must first realize that there is a difference between itself and its surroundings. It needs to know what it controls, and what it does not. In other words, it must realize that it is itself, and that it is something entirely separate from its surroundings. Is not this the beginning of self-awareness ? That is, not tot tink of yourself as part of your environment, but to know that you are separate from it.

My belief is that consciousness, or self awareness, will arise when an organism develops that more complex set of reflex systems that can take input from other sensory organs, When these sensory reflexive systems begin to intercommunicate with other sensory systems when it can use those sensory systems to distinguish/discern itself from its environment.

What I've always found fascinating about this way of thinking about it is that, quite contrary to New Age and philosophical thinkers, it isn not when the organism thinks itself a part of and common with the unverse, but it is when it fianly realizes that it is SEPARATE from it, an entity unto itself at the most primitvie level.

Just my $0.02.....

PS - And for the guy who things everything in the universe is a vibration at some frequency.....Do you have any evidence that is so, or is it something you just thought up and spout because it sounds cool ? If it that you have evidence, please present it, maybe I'll submit you for the Nobel prize. If it's that it just sound sso cool, please remember that many things sound really cool and harmoinc and what have you, but that doesn;t make them true.

Bye Bye......

Papaver

Oops, quick correction on that last post,

Errata data - change 19th to 20th

"But, Sarkus has been saying something that is essentially correct and has been accepted since the early 19th century. And it is this (paraphrased);"

change to ;

"But, Sarkus has been saying something that is essentially correct and has been accepted since the early 20th century. And it is this (paraphrased);"

And there will likely be more Erratas to add later !!!!

PS - And for the guy who things everything in the universe is a vibration at some frequency.....Do you have any evidence that is so, or is it something you just thought up and spout because it sounds cool ? If it that you have evidence, please present it, maybe I'll submit you for the Nobel prize. If it's that it just sound sso cool, please remember that many things sound really cool and harmoinc and what have you, but that doesn;t make them true.

It is true

[begin lecture on the philosophical abuse of QM]

We can talk about uncertainty and QM, but first let me say something here. Philosopher's often take great flights of fancy with QM. Feynman used to say that "if you think you understand it, you don't". Another quote often attributed to him when someone in the class would ask about QM was "shutup and calculate". While this quote orginally is from Heisenburg, Fynman did say it to his students when they would ask about understnading QM. On thing that I heard Feynaman say at a lecture was this, " The eonly people who abuse quantum theory more than the physics student is the philosopher who usually have no idea what it is or what it means". We all laughed about that one, but when I saw the movie WTFDWK, I remembered Feynman's words and just how true it was. The one thing to remember is this, QM is a mathematical model using wave theory. It doesn't necessarily mean that events are waves nor that matter are waves, only that we are using a wave model to calculate probable outcomes of an event. Just because the wave function "collapses" does NOT mean that the event does so. This usually means only that our probable set of events will faill to occur. That's all.

So, next time you want to talk about QM, just "shutup and calculate" the solutions to the diff equation for the event in question.

[end lecture on the philosophical abuse of QM]

Yes, but that doesn't mean that QM doesn't have certain philosophical implications, right? The obvious similarities between QM and mysticism come from the physicists themselves including Heisenberg.

Good article on science and mysticism for anyone interested: http://www.centerforsacredsciences.org/teachings/science.html

Because non-material is material.
Very helpful...

So you're saying that when people refer to "non-material" they actually mean "material"?

:confused: :D

You can also say that material is non-material (spiritual). Because both the material and non-material are like two colors, parts of one light, one energy, in different states.
Again... eh? :confused:

Most probably do not even question their beliefs.[referring to fundamentalists or monothiests]

Most people don't period. I think scientists and rationalists like to see religious people as not critical thinkers but really want to avoid noticing that this behavior is widespread in every group. How many scientists went along with the WOMD argument for the Iraq war? How many really questioned general nutrition standards handed out by government agencies? You get what I mean. How many people question the self's continuity through time? How many realize that language is metaphorical? And so on.

No - and because they don't it gives rise to any number of different problems... we can measure / observe heat and magnetic fields - so why not their "non-material" claims etc? Basically by not doing so leaves them room to manoeuvre in irrationally justifying their beliefs.
I am one of they, by the way. 1) why can't you allow people to justify their beliefs. It seems like a problem comes in when they try to convince others. 2) they may be referring to things not detectible at this point in human history.

:D
Not really - I'm thinking of all those who don't question what it is they are really saying - and all those who do but don't understand what they're saying (the implications and conclusions).

Everybody does this. See above.

No - it's not a confusion. The confusion is in thinking that "irrational" equates to "wrong".
No. There are perceptive processes that are often lumped into 'irrational' and not simply guesses.

I am quite happy that an irrational belief can be later proven correct.
I have no issue with it at all.
"(Ir)rationality" describes the thought process - not the thought itself.
It describes the route taken - not the destination.

Was it irrational for people to think that animals had emotions and were experiencers before scientists started accepting those terms?

Considered... and it merely moves the irrationality to a different position.
Noone doubts that experiences are had - experiences that can not be explained.
But rationality must lie in the interpretation of the experience - and that interpretation must lie with the evidence or else be deemed irrational. No evidence... no rationality.
Again, bear in mind that this is NOT saying the interpretation is wrong - just don't expect others to accept it.

Good. That last sentence is part of what I am pushing for. These people may very well be making rational interpretations of their experiences. They should know that these experiences -since they have had them- cannot constitute much evidence for others.

This analogy is somewhat weak...
The experience is entirely material in nature, you agree?

Sure, based on you sense of material, since we must include the whole observation process. But I am now reconciled with souls being material. I think the analogy is very strong. People with a specific realm of experience were told that they were wrong and current theories adn technology were used to back up the scientists conclusions. Later technology advanced and scientific opinion changed. There are other examples of course. This kind of thing should instill a little humility in those who think they can know the liklihood of certain phenomena based on current theory and technology.

There was evidence to support the claims made by the sailors: physical damage to ships, the fact that waves do exist and waves to interact etc. While not particularly compelling it is far more than exists for claims by theists. Unless a more rational explanation could be given (other than "you're lying" :D) then there would be no reason to think the sailors irrational in their thoughts - even if ultimately proven correct or incorrect. However, IF a more rational explanation could be given that fits the facts - to believe in the rogue waves would have been irrational.

But the sailors were UNIVERSALLY considered irrational by the scientific community. I watched a nice little mainstream documentary on this topic. Not one put together by an anti-science group. The sailors were universally told their emotions were overestimating the size of the waves. Period.

Rationality is not a question of "proof" but of being able to provide more rational explanations. If one can't - okay - the belief is rational (regardless of ultimately correct or not) but if there IS a more rational explanation then the belief is irrational.

even if the more rational belief is wrong. Sorry. The scientists were quite rational. People are capable of overestimating scary things. Current theory left no room for these rogue waves. The scientists drew rational and INCORRECT conclusions. Of course they could also have been rational including a good intuitive estimation of the various sailors they spoke to and got on a gut level that these guys (and gals) seemed pretty grounded. But they did not have this kind of rational process. But they were rational and they were wrong. And the sailor were rational and they were right.

The problem with subjective experiences, entirely contained within the brain, is that so little is known of consciousness and the workings of the brain that the more likely explanation in almost all cases is that something unknown is happening in the brain, rather than some external "non-material" "thing" is interacting with us.

1) care to back that up with some studies that prove that. the liklihood. 2) I actually tend to agree when one thinks of all humans and does not take into account their own editiing of those experiences. But there are people with vastly better skills, self-awareness and handles on their own emotions - I don't mean control - who are able to distinguish between different sources. Some people are more intuitive. Cops who can pick out liars. Sailors who can tell what weather is coming much better and earlier than others. ETc. We have individuals who are skilled and use intuition and can oftend o things better than current technology can. Good thing or we'd all be out of work. Many people believe in evolution cause that's what they were told in school. Others believe in it because they actually have the skills to analyze the theory and data. These latter are still exist despite the existence of the former. Get what I mean? Just because fundamentalists and monothiests tend to take things on authority and faith - what a stupid concept that is - does not mean there are not others who are intuitive and are basing rational beliefs on experiences, some shared with others. You may disagree with me, but just take a second. Do I seem like some Bible thumper? I can be rational. I have had experiences that over time made me first question some of the statements by rationalists and scientists about what is incredibly unlikely to be true. Over time my experiences and INTENTIONAL EXPLORATION have led me to believe in things you would no doubt consider irrational. This process of exploration - quite a bit of it unraveling the training I have gotten about what is not possible - has been long term, deep and intenstive. It parallels training in any number of fields. Quite simply, consider the possibility that I have experienced things that might for a solid basis for rational belief in things you consider remotely possible at best.

When we know so little about the workings of that which we have evidence for (the brain), why jump to conclusions/beliefs of things for which no other evidence exists (the "non-material" / the "soul" etc?).

1) as stated, no jumping was involved. 2) do you really aim this kind of skepticism around you in general. I think an honest inventory and you would find that you accept mainstream thinking on a lot of things, but for some reason spiritual beliefs come under the full strength of your scrutiny. This of course does not mean they are wrong to come there. But you know, I get tired of all rationalists who bring out wonderful analytic tools in relation to certain kinds of phenomena, but seem to lose these tools when it comes to politics or health or psychology or whatever. It's like, if I am going to have to work hard defending certain things, then why is so much BS out there just accepted. I hope that's clear. 3) Clearly 'material' things will continue to be discovered by science. In the past, sometimes, these things were known to certain people because of their gifts, interest, focus. Consider the possibility that this process will repeat. I do agree, those things will be material, in your sense of the word. I think a little slack might be cut those people who debate from the non-meterial side. I mean really 1) you seem, by your own admission, to be one of the few people who uses the word in this way 2) when this idea of the soul arose electricty, magnetism, energies in general were vastly more mysterious and non-meterial. Further language is metaphorical. It may very well, at this point in history, be the best way to communicate about souls to refer to them as non-material. Wittgenstein's meaning is use. A person discussing a soul is hoping to create a certain experience in the listener. Non-material maybe the best way to get there right now. That some very mental, overly anal types may cling to the use of the term in debates with you, well, that's silly.

I have enjoyed our little debate and I appreciate very much the tone of it. Rare in my estimation. Thanks. I do feel like it would get repetative from here, so I am going to drop my end. I think I covered the bases. Fro all you know I may be rational in these beliefs, that's the main thing I wanted to get across.

take care.

I have enjoyed our little debate and I appreciate very much the tone of it. Rare in my estimation. Thanks. I do feel like it would get repetative from here, so I am going to drop my end. I think I covered the bases. Fro all you know I may be rational in these beliefs, that's the main thing I wanted to get across.

take care.
Cheers for the chat. Much fun.

And I would sincerely like to hear about the experiences that have led to your "rational" beliefs. :D Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Also, I am still trying to formulate a reasonable counter (if one exists) to the "subjective rationality" (as I am terming it) that comes from personal experience rather than objective evidence.

Have you ever seen "Contact" - Jodie Foster film. She basically has an experience that, for all intent and purpose, has no evidence other than her own claims. Is she rational in her claims? She thinks yes, others clearly think no.

So I do understand the point you make.
I guess it comes down to the fact that I am trying, in the majority of my posts, to understand why people believe what they do. I usually do that by trying to find holes in what they believe to see how sure / stable it is and to see why I don't also believe it.
And the idea of something being purely "subjective" - and thus the belief being only "subjectively rational" is, to me, frustrating - as it does not help - as I have obviously also not had the same experience.
But then if I have - why do I interpret it as X and they as Y?

Anyhoo - have digressed.
C'est la vie.

Sarkus

Originally Posted by lightgigantic
the problem is why we are frequently puzzled by our inability to reduce everything to energy, waves and patterns
if you could reduce consciousness to waves, energies and patterns - yes

As stated earlier in response to Grover - inability to at present is no grounds for disputing the logic, especially when one accepts the current limitations.
then one could question whether it is logically possible for empiricism to actually arrive at any ultimate cause
in other words, do you logically accept that empiricism can never ultimately ascertain anything macro or microcosmic, but merely deals with the relative?

the car/driver analogy illustrates how the driver is the absolute essential aspect of a moving vehicle - even if a car is completely mechanically sound, it will not move an inch in a million years without a driver.

The analogy illustrates spirit as the essential driving quality of matter...
It is the purpose of analogy to illustrate something unknown with something known - in other words analogy works by suggesting how one thing is "similar" to another - to work with an analogy as an "exact" representation is foolishness.

But if the key aspect of the claim (non-materiality of consciousness) can not be explained through the analogy (driver / car interaction) then the analogy is worthless.
given that your scope of definition is the empirical, and given that the scope of spirit lies outside it, what do you propose one uses as an analogy that doesn't beg the question?
All your analogy can do is explain how one needs consciousness to drive the body. Fine. No issue with that. Never has been. However, your analogy can NOT help explain the interaction between the non-material consciousness and the material body.
the analogy explains relationships - namely how one aspect is dependent and the other aspect is independent
i.e.
If one accepts that consciousness in non-material then the analogy can not explain the non-material / material interaction through use of the analogous material / material (driver / car) interaction.

If one accepts that consciousness is material then the analogy remains sound, although the precise mechanics of the material / material interaction remains elusive.

This is the flaw in your analogy.
if you were asking for an analogy of something material that can hold as a perfect analogy for something spiritual I would have said at the outset that such a request is an oxymoron

Back