No National Day of Prayer Under Obama

sandy

Banned
Banned
Nothing on his schedule to honor this traditional National Day of Prayer.

The Continental Congress issued a proclamation recommending "a day of public prayer" which started in 1775.

There are anti-National Day of Prayer rallies all over the country--especially in Madison, WI, where a federal judge ruled the day unconstitutional. It's not.:(

Bush held celebrations in the White House every year he was POTUS. I miss him. I miss a real Christian in the White House.:(

There are anti-National Day of Prayer rallies all over the country--especially in Madison, WI, where a federal judge ruled the day unconstitutional. It's not.:(

Would you consider a National Day Of Religion Is Bullshit to be constitutional? How about putting Muslim crescents on our currency? Or replacing the "under God" part of the pledge of allegiance with "not under God, because he can't be proved to exist"?

Bush held celebrations in the White House every year he was POTUS. I miss him. I miss a real Christian in the White House.:(

This doesn't mean Obama isn't a Christian. I have no idea if he attends church now, but he did spend two decades attending a black nationalist church in Chicago.

The Continental Congress issued a proclamation recommending "a day of public prayer" which started in 1775.

never once in my 25 years on this earth have i ever heard of national day of prayer. not sure if that falls under the "seperate state and religion dealy mabob"

if you want a national day then take it when you deem it needed but why throw a fit if its not "national day of"

its probably unconstitutional because not everyone is religious and thoes people dont give a flying F about it

It's amazing but I find I can pray any day I want.

Bush held celebrations in the White House every year he was POTUS. I miss him. I miss a real Christian in the White House.

Matthew 6:5
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Matthew 6:5
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
I think the optimism about human nature - or is it human intelligence - implicit in this post is touching. Good point, by the way. I am sure connecting the dots for some will be required.

referencing the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, Jefferson writes:

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.[27]

Therefore any government mandated religious action , such as a national day of prayer, is very clearly unconstitutional. Bush was unconstitutional, Obama is abiding by the constitution.

Typically, our factually challenged member, Sandy, has neglected to notice (or, possibly worse, not mention it though she did notice) that the Obama administration has appealed Justice Crabb's ruling. And Justice Crabb ruled that the day can be officially observed as appeals proceed.

Obama has chosen to not hold any official observance of this day at the White House. His choice may have something to do with avoiding hypocrisy.

....Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said last year. “Prayer is something that the president does every day,” he added, noting that it is private.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100506/ts_csm/299351

Well, not being an American, I'm sure i could be wrong here but..... aren't you people supposed to practice the 'separation of church and state'??

bush is ignorant and evil, and sandy, you wouldn't know a real christian if one sat on your face.

you wanna pray, then pray. everybody prays all the time. thoughts and desires manifest. you don't need an act of congress or some specially designated day to pray.

how stupid.

Well, not being an American, I'm sure i could be wrong here but..... aren't you people supposed to practice the 'separation of church and state'??
Really the constitution is rather messy when it comes to this.

“ Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof... ”

this just leaves so much room, non-legislatively for church and state to merge.

There would be problems making a national Pray to Jesus Day. But since 'prayer' could be any religion.....

The whole thing is very silly. There is no reason why people need the state to give them a Prayer day, since they are free to pray whenever they like. Much of the intention of the founders was that government would not intervene in their choices of conscience, like religion, and this is clear in the writings of Jefferson and others. They wanted the state NOT to interfere and they made clear rules to stop this kind of interference. This left room however for people to think the state can support religion. Or should. And oddly this tends to come from people who complain the loudest about how government should be small.

Where is the need?

Even more so the Prayer in school issue. As if children coming from home, where they can be, unfortunately, be forced to pray over breakfast, need to have space to pray in class also.

Bush of course and other conseratives, as i am sure you know, use conservative, often working class values, to manpulate that group into aligning with fiscally conservative people who are not at all looking out for their interests.

Obama does not want to piss off the conservative working classes, but at the same time it is not his main support group, so he is likely to act, on this issue, more in line with the intentions of the founders.

If the separation of Church and State is something held dear, it would seem that Obama is following the correct line.

Peace be unto you ;)

No National Day of Prayer Under Obama

Good. He's actually keeping the Jeffersonian principles intact.

If the separation of Church and State is something held dear, it would seem that Obama is following the correct line.

As long as it favored Christians or large corporate interests, Bush jumped at it. I don't doubt that Obama has his own little handlers, but at least he's leaving the religious stupidity out of politics.

~String

Really the constitution is rather messy when it comes to this.

No it isn't. First you have the 1'st amendment, then the 14th and the constitutional principle that allows both the Congress to make laws and the judiciary to interpret the Constitution. In applying the 1st and 14th amendments, the SCOTUS has held pretty firmly that there is a wall separating religion and government.

this just leaves so much room, non-legislatively for church and state to merge.

There is no such "room" except in the minds of those who are hellbent on merging the two.

But since 'prayer' could be any religion.....

It's pretty clear: "Congress [and with the 14th amendment, any division of any government body within the USA] shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." What could be clearer?

There is no reason why people need the state to give them a Prayer day, since they are free to pray whenever they like.

Exactly!

Where is the need?

There is none beyond the pathetic imaginations of those who think that forcing people to pay--even secondarily--homage to religion is acceptable behavior for the government.

~String

How about a day of Deism to honour the Newtonian mechanical religious views of America's founding fathers? They were not Christians, they revolted against the monarchies of Europe which derived their authority from various Churches. The founding Deists should be honoured for having created a country so free, that it can even be hijacked by Christians who would rewrite history to have us believe America was always a Christian nation with Christian founding fathers and presidents.

No it isn't. First you have the 1'st amendment, then the 14th and the constitutional principle that allows both the Congress to make laws and the judiciary to interpret the Constitution. In applying the 1st and 14th amendments, the SCOTUS has held pretty firmly that there is a wall separating religion and government.
In terms of legislation. But there is a rather strong tradition of God and Bibles in many facets of government, anyway. Because a religion and state are not clearly prohibited from overlapping in other ways.

There is no such "room" except in the minds of those who are hellbent on merging the two.
I am not hellbent on merging the two and I see room and I see a history of that room being utilized. I would prefer the likely religion, Christianity, to be far away from merged with the US government, nevertheless, I do not see the Constitution as being as clear as I would like. Not remotely.

It's pretty clear: "Congress [and with the 14th amendment, any division of any government body within the USA] shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." What could be clearer?
So legislation is the only way government and religion can be connected? I am not sure you read my earlier post.

There is none beyond the pathetic imaginations of those who think that forcing people to pay--even secondarily--homage to religion is acceptable behavior for the government.
Paying homage is not legislation, for example.

There are anti-National Day of Prayer rallies all over the country--especially in Madison, WI, where a federal judge ruled the day unconstitutional. It's not.

err, good?:bugeye:
seperation of church and state and all that:bugeye:

Back