New Wikileaks Dump is Unconscionable

Do you just make this stuff up?

They were founded in 1922, how could that be to keep us out of WW1?
The President, CofB and Directors don't appear to have any significant ties to defense contractors.

The questions are contained in the Figures.

The point is, unless you can show otherwise, is they appear to do reputable polls on American attitudes concerning foreign policy.

Arthur

The questions are not in the figures. Those are sentence fragments.

And no I don't make this stuff up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Council_on_Global_Affairs
The Chicago Council on Global Affairs was founded as the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations on February 20, 1922. At its inception, the Council included 23 members with the purpose of opposing what they viewed as U.S. isolationism during the first World War

Lester Crown chairman of the board, Affiliation General Dynamics
Philip M. Condit previous chairman, Affiliation Boeing
John W. Madigan chairman before that currently serves on the "Defense business Board at the department of defense. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Business_Board He was also on the Board at the Hoover Institute in 2008.
Duane L. Burnham previous Chair CEO Abbott Labs and on board of Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago no defense
John H. Bryan previous chair, currently on board of Goldman Sachs, no defense

Current president 2001 to now, was once director for policy analysis in the office of the deputy assistant secretary of defense for Near East, Africa and South Asia.

Previous President
John E. Rielly
From SourceWatch
Jump to: navigation, search

"Currently, John E. Rielly is an Adjunct Professor of Political Science at Northwestern University and a Visiting Professor in International Relations at the University of California, San Diego.

"Prior to his current position, Dr. Rielly worked in the Department of Government at Harvard University, and the U.S. Department of State. the United States Senate. He was also a Foreign Policy Assistant to Senator and later Vice President Hubert Humphrey. Dr. Rielly has also been a consultant at the Ford Foundation and National Security Council. He served as the President of the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations from 1971-2001." [1]

"From 1962-1963 he served in the United States Department of State; from 1963-1969 he was foreign policy assistant to Senator and Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey; from 1969-1970 he was a consultant to the Office of European and International Affairs at the Ford Foundation. He became executive director of The Chicago Council on Foreign Relations in 1971 and president of the Council in 1974. In June 1998, he also became Director of the newly established Konrad Adenauer Program for European Policy Studies at the Chicago Council on Foreign Relations. "

Michael H. Moskow

Senior Fellow for the Global Economy, The Chicago Council on Global Affairs

Michael H. Moskow is on the board. He is part of the Council on Forelations. From his bio at CFR: Previously, he was president and chief executive officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. He has fourteen years experience in senior management positions at three Chicago corporations. He served as deputy U.S.trade representative with the rank of ambassador, under secretary of labor, director of the Council on Wage and Price Stability, assistant secretary for policy development and research at the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and senior staff economist at the Council of Economic Advisors. He also taught international business at Northwestern University. Dr. Moskow is a trustee of Lafayette College, board member and former chairman of the National Bureau of Economic Research, member of the board of directors of Diamond Management & Technology Consultants, Inc., is vice chairman of the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, and serves on the Board of Northwestern Memorial Foundation, among others. He is based in Chicago, Illinois.

Because that's the appropriate value to assign to statements that one doesn't intend to judge further. Not sure where you think the conflict is, there. They say they were raped, he says otherwise, I respect the prerogative of the appropriate court to decide, and in the meantime take the various statements at face value.

It would be a lot funnier if there weren't so many people working relentlessly to publicly shame these women - including yourself, right here.

What would that matter? There's plenty of people on his side, who are more than willing to publicly slander and shame these women. You're doing it yourself, right now. The two outcomes are not mutually exclusive.

Good for them.

False dichotomy - there's nobody taking these women's words as gospel, and you have no knowledge of the motives or thoughts of the women you cite.

You just tried that strawman in your last post. You suck at arguing.

Another false dichotomy - this isn't a zero-sum game. It's very much possible that Assange gets burned, and the rape accusers also get burned. Even in clear-cut cases of brutal rape that result in easy conviction, accusers are put in a vulnerable position of exposing their victimization to the public and being judged by insensitive, agenda'd pricks like yourself. That's why so few come forward at all, even in very clear-cut cases.

Noting that something isn't relevant to the present topic isn't the same thing as "delegitimizing" it. You're really treading water here - if I were you, I'd just give up now before you embarass yourself any further.

Last I checked, the USA is still serious about capturing and prosecuting Polanski, and in fact that very (over-) zealousness is what created the technical pretexts that have allowed him to escape extradition all these years. Meanwhile, your precedents of rape prosecution are from the UK, which has nothing to do with Polanski. He committed his crimes in the US, and then fled to France and eventually Switzerland. He hasn't set foot in the UK since then, as he would immediately be arrested and extradited.

Moreover, it is difficult to credibly argue that Assange is not a flight risk.

Very well I can take his statements at face value as opposed to their claims which don't seem to mesh very well. Especially when one decides not to cooperate with those who are willing to prosecute him.

Publicly shame the women? Please one shame oneself when one says they are raped by some man they just met and then goes back to see the person only to then claim their sexuality was again violated. Its bullshit. You take the stance that crying rape actually means that there should be no room for doubt, in other words you seem to believe that a cry of rape is somehow proof that one occurred. I disagree with that. The only person who is being publicly shamed at the moment is Assange. As a matter of fact I have seen little evidence that these women are being shamed worldwide in any meaningful way. The only support that is being offered to Assange has to do with the way Wikileaks is being treated in general, and the way Assange is being treated in a court of law. Don't you find it strange that he isn't being allowed bail? Don't you find it strange that rape charges that were dropped mysteriously resurface? Don't you find it strange that the allegations are being treated with the utmost urgency when there are worse cases of abuse and rape that are not warranted this heavy handed reaction?

Quad: I tend to bear in mind that 90% of rape victims never come forward at all. It's not the kind of thing that people like having publicized about themselves, even if the perpetrator is widely reviled.

Aha, so you see, you have decided that there is a good possibility that Assange is a wild rapist. You are not unbiased my friend so don't accuse me being biased.

Good for them? Don't you find it ironic that a rape victims advocacy group would find these allegations odd? Or are they also just a biased bunch rallying to support Assange?

I don't need prior knowledge of what these feminists think when they are stating what they think out in the open for all to read. To say that the women in afghanistan is the reason why we went to war is as erroneous as saying Assange is being hounded because he is a 'rapist'.

Quad: You just tried that strawman in your last post. You suck at arguing.

Not a strawman at all to cite evidence that women do on occasion lie about rape. And if you think I 'suck at arguing' then I don't see why you are bothering to take the precious minutes out of your life to argue with me at all.

Quad: Another false dichotomy - this isn't a zero-sum game. It's very much possible that Assange gets burned, and the rape accusers also get burned. Even in clear-cut cases of brutal rape that result in easy conviction, accusers are put in a vulnerable position of exposing their victimization to the public and being judged by insensitive, agenda'd pricks like yourself. That's why so few come forward at all, even in very clear-cut cases.

Oh please. Here you are pretending that its the law that should decide and then you go on to refer to the accusers as being victims before knowing that they actually are victims. I would say that in this day and age rape victims are not held to up to an insensitive public, the opposite is true where we are more ready to believe the accuser and label the man as an animal.

'Agenda'd pricks'? You can call me an agenda's cunt if you like but not a prick since I lack one. You on the other hand are very much showing yourself to be just as 'agenda'd' and yes also a 'prick'. I mean if you are such a master of argument you wouldn't feel the need to rely on ad hom's. I mean its easy to discredit an idiot who cannot argue without them is it not. Why don't you go and tell Tiassa that his arguments 'suck' and he's just a fucking agenda'd prick because of his assessment in post #437, you poltroon.

Quad: Noting that something isn't relevant to the present topic isn't the same thing as "delegitimizing" it. You're really treading water here - if I were you, I'd just give up now before you embarass yourself any further.

Why? I'm not embarrassed. I do find it ironic that someone can leave the States right before trial for 'violating the sexual integrity' of a minor and live for years outside the States without it hindering his life one bit but a man who is accused of a weak rape case is hounded as if they were Bin Laden.

Quad: Last I checked, the USA is still serious about capturing and prosecuting Polanski, and in fact that very (over-) zealousness is what created the technical pretexts that have allowed him to escape extradition all these years. Meanwhile, your precedents of rape prosecution are from the UK, which has nothing to do with Polanski. He committed his crimes in the US, and then fled to France and eventually Switzerland. He hasn't set foot in the UK since then, as he would immediately be arrested and extradited.

Moreover, it is difficult to credibly argue that Assange is not a flight risk.

Bullshit! They can take hold his passport, something they never did with Polanski as he awaited trial.

Monsieur Polanski, he was living under house arrest in Switzerland, after he left his home in France to attend the Zurich Film Festival in September 2009. In July, the Swiss authorities decided not to ship him back to the U.S. for trial on the grounds that American authorities had failed to provide confidential testimony about Polanski's original sentencing procedure. As a result, he was declared a "free man" and he returned to his home in Paris (albeit with an outstanding Interpol arrest warrant in 188 countries).

In March 1977, film director Roman Polanski was arrested and charged with a number of offenses against Samantha Geimer, a thirteen-year-old girl – rape by use of drugs, perversion, sodomy, lewd and lascivious act upon a child under fourteen, and furnishing a controlled substance to a minor. At his arraignment Polanski pleaded not guilty to all charges, but later accepted a plea bargain whose terms included dismissal of five of the initial charges in exchange for a guilty plea to the lesser charge of engaging in unlawful sexual intercourse.
Polanski underwent a court-ordered psychiatric evaluation, and it was expected that he would only receive probation at his sentencing. However, upon learning that he would likely face imprisonment and deportation, Polanski fled to France in February 1978, hours before he was to be formally sentenced. Since then Polanski has mostly lived in France and avoided visiting countries likely to extradite him to the United States.

Under the terms of the plea agreement, the court ordered Polanski to report to a state prison for a 90-day psychiatric evaluation, but granted a stay to allow him to complete his current project. Under the terms set by the court, he traveled to Europe to complete filming. Polanski returned to California and reported to Chino State Prison for the evaluation period, and was released after 42 days. Polanski's lawyers had the expectation that Polanski would get only probation at the subsequent sentencing hearing, with the probation officer, examining psychiatrist, and the victim all recommending against jail time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Polanski_sexual_abuse_case

Doesn't look as if the US were over-zealous in regards to Polanski at all!! The same site says:

"The United States government could have requested that Polanski be prosecuted on the California charges by the French authorities."

Well why didn't they then? Also he went to the UK before leaving for France and no one attempted to arrest him at the behest of the US government.

Polanski fled, Assange was ALLOWED to leave as the charges against him were dropped and he made no attempt to avoid arrest.

Assange isn't being hounded because he's a rapist, he's being hounded because of what he's disclosed about various worldwide governments the US in particular.

Yeah, that slut obviously wanted it. Just look at the way she was dressed!

Obviously, it can't be rape if it's somebody you allowed into your house. It's only rape if some stranger beats you over the head with a club and drags you into a dark alley.

Ask a Swedish lawyer if you want a real answer.

In the meantime, let's avoid the temptation to litigate a rape case from thousands of miles away, based on hearsay evidence from the press.
Having been involved in countless of rape cases, this one is dodgy at best.

If this was rape, believe me, I'd be all over his arse like a rash. But there are a few things in this case that just does not add up:

Rape is a crime of violence. Both women boasted of their of their respective celebrity conquests on internet posts and mobile phones texts after the intimacy they would now see him destroyed for.

Ardin hosted a party in Assange's honour at her flat after the 'crime' and tweeted to her followers that she was with the "the world's coolest smartest people, it's amazing!"

Ardin has sought unsuccessfully to delete these and thereby destroy evidence of Assange's innocence.

She has published on the internet a guide on how to get revenge on cheating boyfriends.

Their SMS texts to each other show a plan to contact the Swedish newspaper Expressen beforehand, in order to maximise the damage to Assange.

They belong to the same political group, and attended a public lecture given by Assange and organised by them.

The exact content of Sophia Wilén's mobile phone texts is not yet known, but their bragging and generally positive content about Assange has been confirmed by Swedish prosecutors.

The consent of both women to sex with Assange has been confirmed by prosecutors.

Niether Wilén's nor Ardin's texts complain of rape.

These facts should make any normal prosecutor gravely concerned about whether a false complaint is being made.

But then neither Arden nor Wilén complained to the police. They collaboratively 'sought advice', a technique in Sweden enabling citizens to avoid being sued for making false complaints.

In any normal first world country, the prosecutor would know that her case is not just a deeply-flawed waste of time, but a dangerous perversion of the serious objectives of rape laws.

The womens' lawyer Claes Borgström was questioned by the media as to how the women themselves could be contradicting the legal characterisation of Swedish prosecutors; a crime of non-consent by consent.

Borgström's answer is emblematic of how divorced from reality this matter is: "They (the women) are not jurists".

You need a law degree to know whether you have been raped or not in Sweden.

(Source)

Keep in mind, this was dropped the first time (immediately after a previous document dump) because there was no evidence to charge him with rape. Then, a document dump later, and according to the article, 3 prosecutors or so later, the rape charge resurfaces.

@Bells

Dodgy is right. Just take a look at how this all came to be:

Below is what's known so far about those encounters, based on reporting by London's Daily Mail and the allegations made in a London court on Tuesday by Gemma Lindfield, an attorney acting for Swedish authorities.

Aug. 11: Assange arrives in Stockholm, where he is to be the key speaker at a seminar organized by a group called the Brotherhood Movement.

London's Daily Mail reports his point of contact is a radical feminist who once held a university post of "campus sexual equity officer." The two had never met but earlier agreed that Assange would stay at her apartment, the Mail stated. She planned to be out of town until the day of the seminar.

Aug. 14: The woman, identified by Swedish officials only as Miss A, returns to Stockholm, 24 hours earlier than planned. The two go out for dinner, return to the apartment and have sex during which a condom breaks. She would later tell police that Assange used his body weight to hold her down during sex and that she was a victim of "unlawful coercion."

Aug. 15: Assange delivers his seminar speech and meets another woman who tags along for lunch with friends, the Mail reported, adding that the two then go to a movie where the woman suggests they were "intimate."

That evening, Miss A hosts a party for Assange at her home, afterward reportedly tweeting this to friends: "Sitting outside ... nearly freezing, with the world’s coolest people. It’s pretty amazing!"

Aug. 16: The second woman, identified only as Miss W by Swedish officials, calls Assange and they meet in Stockholm. They go by train to her hometown and to her apartment, where they have sex. According to her testimony to police, Assange wore a condom.

Aug. 17: Miss W later tells police that Assange that morning had unprotected sex with her while she was still asleep.

Aug. 18: Assange is alleged on this day to have "deliberately molested" Miss A "in a way designed to violate her sexual integrity."

Soon after, Miss W contacts Miss A, knowing her from the seminar, and confides that she had unprotected sex with Assange, the Mail reported. Miss A says that she, too, had slept with him and reportedly later phones an acquaintance of Assange to relay to him that she wants him out of her apartment.

Aug. 20: Assange leaves the apartment. The two women go to Stockholm police to seek advice on how to proceed with a complaint by Miss W against Assange, the Mail reported. According to one source, Miss W wanted to know if it was possible to force Assange to undergo an HIV test. Miss A said she was there merely to support Miss W, but she also gives police an account of what had happened between herself and Assange, the Mail reported.
The female interviewing officer concludes that Miss W had been raped and Miss A subject to sexual molestation. A duty prosecuting attorney agrees Assange should be sought on suspicion of rape.

Aug. 21: The chief prosecutor dismisses the rape charge and arrest warrant, saying what occurred were no more than minor offenses.
In the following days, the claimants appeal, and a special prosecutor reopens the case, eventually reissuing the arrest warrant.

By now the press had gotten hold of the story. Miss A spoke to a Swedish newspaper, saying: "In both cases, the sex had been consensual from the start but had eventually turned into abuse."

"The accusations were not set up by the Pentagon or anybody else," she added. "The responsibility for what happened to me and the other girl lies with a man with a twisted view of women, who has a problem accepting the word 'no.' "

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40551118/ns/us_news-wikileaks_in_security/

The guy may be a cad but that doesn't make him a rapist.

Within this eager torrent of attention on WL and Assange, why is there so little interest in the rule of law? Rather than trying this case on the internet and in gossip- why are so few of us urging and insisting that this sexual matter be settled promptly in court? I had been so encouraged by a newfound worldwide interest in accountability- but I am disappointed that we are behaving as an easily-distracted rabble. An open, speedy and fair trial is necessary if we wish to move on to more important matters of accountability. Our limited attention-span within the world's distracted democracies over the entire WikiLeaks story is being squandered on the most tawdry and non-essential part of the whole matter. Even if that's no accident, and we are being manipulated- must we stay this stupid?

The questions are not in the figures. Those are sentence fragments.

And no I don't make this stuff up.

Lester Crown chairman of the board, Affiliation General Dynamics
Philip M. Condit previous chairman, Affiliation Boeing
John W. Madigan chairman before that currently serves on the "Defense business Board at the department of defense. He was also on the Board at the Hoover Institute in 2008.
Duane L. Burnham previous Chair CEO Abbott Labs and on board of Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago no defense
John H. Bryan previous chair, currently on board of Goldman Sachs, no defense

Current president 2001 to now, was once director for policy analysis in the office of the deputy assistant secretary of defense for Near East, Africa and South Asia.

There are a lot of board members, but the fact that a few have loose connections to companies that make things for the defense dept does not show that this organization is, as you tried to paint, "This organization has ties to defense contractors", nor have you shown that the questions (which ARE in the figures, along with the choices the people had to choose from, and the results of what they chose, so YES, you can see if the questions/answer choices were biased or not), have a clear US interventionist bias.

Indeed, their self description of what they are about has little to do with defense and never even mentions it.
http://www.thechicagocouncil.org/chicago_council_timeline.php
Nor do any of their initiatives.
http://www.thechicagocouncil.org/global_chicago.php
And they have been doing this survey, every 2 years for almost 30 years and I can find nothing to indicate that it is not highly respected.

You don't like the answers so you are trying to shoot the messenger and MISSED badly.

Arthur

Last edited:
Within this eager torrent of attention on WL and Assange, why is there so little interest in the rule of law? Rather than trying this case on the internet and in gossip- why are so few of us urging and insisting that this sexual matter be settled promptly in court? I had been so encouraged by a newfound worldwide interest in accountability- but I am disappointed that we are behaving as an easily-distracted rabble. An open, speedy and fair trial is necessary if we wish to move on to more important matters of accountability. Our limited attention-span within the world's distracted democracies over the entire WikiLeaks story is being squandered on the most tawdry and non-essential part of the whole matter. Even if that's no accident, and we are being manipulated- must we stay this stupid?

How can he be assured a fair trail if extradited to the US? How can he be assured a fair trial if even his arrest and lack of being awarded bail has been denied? How can he be assured a fair trial when the real issue is Wikileaks and the sensitive information he is ready to release? How can anyone be awarded a fair trial when government is trying to use him as an example to curtail free speech and freedom of the press?

How can he be assured a fair trail if extradited to the US?

He hasn't been charged with a crime in the US.

Extradition requests come after that.

Currently he is facing extradition only to Sweden on the Sexual Assault charges.

Even assuming that he is eventually charged and then extradited to the US, he would still have to be convicted by a jury or regular men and women, so yeah, he could get probably get a fair trial. The reason the gov might do it would be to punish him by tying him up in an expensive trial for a long time, so the gov can win without even winning.

Arthur

I agree with you here, adoucette. Assange has promoted himself as the face of accountability, and if he truly believes in that cause then he should not hesitate to be accountable to the public, just as those of us supporting transparency in public life would like for public figures in political and corporate life to become. Further, if Assange understands the distraction his case is causing at the expense of more important issues, then he should work diligently with his supporter-funded legal team to conduct the most expeditious possible resolution of his issues before the Swedish courts.

The same goes for activism with intent to reform accountability in the USA and elsewhere: If we wish for leaders to be accountable to the law, then those most visibly pressing the issue must also be accountable to the law, with full cognizance of the personal jeopardy of miscarried justice. There are personal risks to high-profile dissidence no leading activists can feign ignorance of, or immunity from.

Assange's moves are not that of a Cyber-Messiah- at least not those of a messiah who has had his moment of Gethsemane. Those of us who are serious about transparency and accountability in public life, and sincere in our struggle for truth should turn their attention beyond Assange now. There may never be better positive momentum and freedom of expression than we are enjoying around the world right now.

Last edited:
How can he be assured a fair trail if extradited to the US?
Extradition to the US does not appear to have solid legal footing. The threat is no surprise considering the leaks and the political climate in the USA. Such an extradition threat should have been well anticipated and prepared for before publicizing a significant volume of information embarrassing to US leadership. Assange is in a racial and economic position to receive much more fair treatment and trial than the abductees in Guantanamo, Bagram, and elsewhere that Assange purports to be championing the rights of. The faster Assange can settle matters in Stockholm, the better his team can fight extradition, and present him as a responsible world citizen and not a fugitive.

How can he be assured a fair trial if even his arrest and lack of being awarded bail has been denied?
Assange is flight risk not only because of his financial means, but also because he does not demonstrate an attitude of personal accountability to the law. It is this attitude which in my opinion makes Assange a poor candidate for the poster-child of public accountability.

How can he be assured a fair trial when the real issue is Wikileaks and the sensitive information he is ready to release?
If he is a true activist, then the advancement of freedom of information must take precedent over his personal defense. If the higher cause is advanced, then his personal defense (on appeal if not first appearance) will also find firmer ground.

How can anyone be awarded a fair trial when government is trying to use him as an example to curtail free speech and freedom of the press?
By using the law to curtail abuse of power. The fight for net neutrality and freedom of speech must be carried into the courts of the world. If we are going to abandon the courts and all other institutions, then we will forfeit the internet and raze the entire social landscape if we were to succeed in half-baked demands for anarchy before justice.

Last edited:
He hasn't been charged with a crime in the US.

Extradition requests come after that.

Currently he is facing extradition only to Sweden on the Sexual Assault charges.

Even assuming that he is eventually charged and then extradited to the US, he would still have to be convicted by a jury or regular men and women, so yeah, he could get probably get a fair trial. The reason the gov might do it would be to punish him by tying him up in an expensive trial for a long time, so the gov can win without even winning.

Arthur

I know. I said IF! And with the way he's being treated in the mainstream media it may not be easy to find a jury that hasn't been tainted by the statements of public officials that have been calling this treason and him a terrorist and calling for his death.

Extradition to the US does not appear to have solid legal footing. The threat is no surprise considering the leaks and the political climate in the USA. Such an extradition threat should have been well anticipated and prepared for before publicizing a significant volume of information embarrassing to US leadership. Assange is in a racial and economic position to receive much more fair treatment and trial than the abductees in Guantanamo, Bagram, and elsewhere that Assange purports to be championing the rights of. The faster Assange can settle matters in Stockholm, the better his team can fight extradition, and present him as a responsible world citizen and not a fugitive.

Assange is flight risk not only because of his financial means, but also because he does not demonstrate an attitude of personal accountability to the law. It is this attitude which in my opinion makes Assange a poor candidate for the poster-child of public accountability.

If he is a true activist, then the advancement of freedom of information must take precedent over his personal defense. If the higher cause is advanced, then his personal defense (on appeal if not first appearance) will also find firmer ground.

By using the law to curtail abuse of power. The fight for net neutrality and freedom of speech must be carried into the courts of the world. If we are going to abandon the courts and all other institutions, then we will forfeit the internet and raze the entire social landscape if we were to succeed in half-baked demands for anarchy before justice.

Informal discussions have already taken place between US and Swedish officials over the possibility of the WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange being delivered into American custody, according to diplomatic sources.

His arrest in north London yesterday was described by the US Defence Secretary Robert Gates as “good news”, and may pave the way for extradition to America and a possible lengthy jail sentence.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/assange-could-face-espionage-trial-in-us-2154107.html

I think its his position as a media figure that MAY protect him, not his race or economic position, though I agree that its not the same as if he had been picked up on the streets of Kabul. That being said I have no faith in the judicial system under its patriot act. There are those who would like to see him charged with aiding terrorists if they cannot pin him on espionage. I referred to the US use of terrorist camps to hold the innocent only as a means of showing the new structure of the justice system in the United States and its increased powers.

Assange is not a flight risk if his passport is held. Where can he go without one? Where could he go and find refuge from Interpol when his face is all over the media? What is it that you think no one would notice him? Or that he could flee to another nation in Europe where there is no EU warrant? Its a ridiculous argument.

Why should Assange be a martyr for the freedoms and rights we supposedly already have? He's not Aung San Suu Kyi (and her situation has done nothing to change the Junta regime). His harassment and arrest will set a precedence that will hinder the press in the future that's the issue. That's why he should fight this. Assange has never called himself an activist but a media member who believes in TRANSPARENCY, he has even stated that he's not a pacifist but believes that TRANSPARENCY holds governments to account and let's them know that their actions are being watched.

You obviously have a lot of faith in this new global political climate:rolleyes:

Lucysnow said:
You obviously have a lot of faith in this new global political climate:rolleyes:
I wish that I could have more, but that will require more refined leadership and activism than Assange is inspiring. Mine isn't so much a faith in a climate, as it is a hope that freedom will prevail over tyranny, as humanity moves into an ever faster-paced, highly-integrated, species-defining future. Events are still proceeding at a pace that populations can react to with some deliberation. I fear that if there is not a clear consensus formed among us about truth and accountability before the pace of events begins to consistently outstrip the capabilities of the public to mobilize reform in those key interests, then we are doomed to a dark and short future as creatures of empathy and conscience. For me, it's a simple choice between having some hope and having none.

I wish that I could have more, but that will require more refined leadership and activism than Assange is inspiring. Mine isn't so much a faith in a climate, as it is a hope that freedom will prevail over tyranny, as humanity moves into an ever faster-paced, highly-integrated, species-defining future. Events are still proceeding at a pace that populations can react to with some deliberation. I fear that if there is not a clear consensus formed among us about truth and accountability before the pace of events begins to consistently outstrip the capabilities of the public to mobilize reform in those key interests, then we are doomed to a dark and short future as creatures of empathy and conscience. For me, it's a simple choice between having some hope and having none.

Freedom will reign over tyranny? Perhaps but it doesn't look like that will be happening any time soon. I know you're the ultimate dreamer strumming the kumbaya chords on his ukulele but it will take more than wishful thinking to change the course of events. You know very well that activism needs those who are actually active and not simply riding on hope. What we are seeing is not an integrated humanity working in solidarity but a splintering of groups, apathy among the comfortable masses and a new security and surveillance mechanisms that make anti-corporate/government activism more difficult. Not to mention the new laws which can jail anyone based on suspicion alone. What was it that Obama called it? Oh yeah, 'Preventative/Prolonged detention'. If you haven't heard of it you can check out the MSNBC's Rachel Maddow discussing Obama's idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iT30UFyCzQ

I don't believe in hope as just this thing you carry around in your heart. Hope comes from facing the reality which exists and then taking appropriate action based on that reality.

The reality is that the Patriot Act has not been repealed. The reality is that there is more and more cooperation among the government and corporate power elites.

I'm impressed with how the French, Italians and English raise hell on the streets when the government is out of line but you rarely see that in the US when it comes to things like this. The media is able to pacify and convince the average American that the lack of freedom is actually in their best interest. Go figure.

It's true, I actually like to play and sing kumbaya, along with a wide variety of thoughtful music. I haven't had a uke for many years (I do play that song on the Guitar occasionally, and not always in parody). When so many people are crying, I really would like for a better spirit to "come by here" and bring us hope.

I don't believe in hope as just this thing you carry around in your heart. Hope comes from facing the reality which exists and then taking appropriate action based on that reality.

I believe it actually does come "from the heart"- or from empathy and love, and that action motivated from there consistently improves our realities.

Lucysnow said:
The reality is that the Patriot Act has not been repealed.
I hope (deeply, spontaneously in my heart) that I will live to see the Patriot Act discredited and repealed.

Lucysnow said:
The reality is that there is more and more cooperation among the government and corporate power elites.
I fervently hope that democracy will ultimately prevail over corrupt and covert special interests.

Lucysnow said:
I'm impressed with how the French, Italians and English raise hell on the streets when the government is out of line but you rarely see that in the US when it comes to things like this. The media is able to pacify and convince the average American that the lack of freedom is actually in their best interest.
How impressed, Lucy? Have you marched in protest, or in public expression of solidarity with dissenters? Protest is not absent in the USA, and there is reason for heart-felt hope amidst adversity that critical thinking and public dissent is increasing, and likely to continue to increase.

It's true, I actually like to play and sing kumbaya, along with a wide variety of thoughtful music. I haven't had a uke for many years (I do play that song on the Guitar occasionally, and not always in parody). When so many people are crying, I really would like for a better spirit to "come by here" and bring us hope.

I believe it actually does come "from the heart"- or from empathy and love, and that action motivated from there consistently improves our realities.

I hope (deeply, spontaneously in my heart) that I will live to see the Patriot Act discredited and repealed.

I fervently hope that democracy will ultimately prevail over corrupt and covert special interests.

How impressed, Lucy? Have you marched in protest, or in public expression of solidarity with dissenters? Protest is not absent in the USA, and there is reason for heart-felt hope amidst adversity that critical thinking and public dissent is increasing, and likely to continue to increase.

Sure I have, not in Europe but in the US and also in Cambodia. This is how I know that the protests here in the States pale in comparison to what is mobilized by action groups in Europe. They had 2 million in the streets of the UK against the war, Italy had over 400,000 students out in the streets fighting education fare hikes, they fought with riot police, they sat on railway tracks stopping transportation throughout the country. Recent protests in the UK were so bad that it lead to PM's either abstaining or refusing to pass the tuition hikes out of fear of the war that would incur on their streets. I've done my time at Indymedia and working with other groups so I do understand that the process of change doesn't come from talking to the converted nor by holding a candle in ones hand and singing 'we shall overcome'. Its desensitizing and achieves nothing.

Do you mean bringing the ukelele spirit here to sciforums? Best of British luck mate.

Hype: I believe it actually does come "from the heart"- or from empathy and love, and that action motivated from there consistently improves our realities.

Oh jeez, you're killing me. Let the sentimental vomiting begin. Hope as I said can only be summoned once one has FACED REALITY meaning having an honest picture of the environment and the society where one lives and the personal obstacles that one will face. Summoning hope in ones heart without the aforementioned simply leads to nowhere except a fantasy version of reality. One aspect of the present reality is realizing that democracy has already been usurped by corrupt and special interests. WAKE UP ALREADY!!! You're beginning to sound like one of those pacifists who believe sticking a daisy in a rifle that's pointed towards you will actually change the fact that there is a rifle pointed towards you. Forget about your 'fervent hope', what are you going to do about it?

What you see in the following doc will never happen again on this scale in the US because of the new Patriot Act laws:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/this-is-what-a-democracy-looks-like/

"Protests have taken place across Spain calling for the release of Wikileaks founder Julian Assange, who is facing extradition from the UK to Sweden for alleged sexual offences."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11977406

Cyber attackers brashly said they were aiming to disrupt, but not disable, U.S. company Web sites to protest recent treatment of Internet firm WikiLeaks.

"Our current goal is to raise awareness about WikiLeaks and the underhanded methods employed by the above companies to impair WikiLeaks' ability to function," the posting said.

Attacks on Visa and MasterCard Inc. Web sites briefly knocked them off line this week. PayPal was able to avoid an outage, but the firm's technical staff went into "red alert status," after an online posting said, "PayPal is the enemy," the Journal said.

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/2010/12/11/US-firms-fend-off-cyberattacks/UPI-91311292077669/

Last edited:
There are a lot of board members, but the fact that a few have loose connections to companies that make things for the defense dept does not show that this organization is, as you tried to paint, "This organization has ties to defense contractors", nor have you shown that the questions (which ARE in the figures, along with the choices the people had to choose from, and the results of what they chose, so YES, you can see if the questions/answer choices were biased or not), have a clear US interventionist bias.

Indeed, their self description of what they are about has little to do with defense and never even mentions it.
http://www.thechicagocouncil.org/chicago_council_timeline.php
Nor do any of their initiatives.
http://www.thechicagocouncil.org/global_chicago.php
And they have been doing this survey, every 2 years for almost 30 years and I can find nothing to indicate that it is not highly respected.

You don't like the answers so you are trying to shoot the messenger and MISSED badly.

Arthur

The chairmen are not random board members. Former chairman and president and current board member and largest stockholder of General Dynamics + ex CEO of Boeing are not minor connections. Also your point about the questions bing in the figures still looks wrong.

This group probably has an interventionist bias. That does not mean that they cooked their poll as some groups do but they might have. That was might point and I am correct to be suspicious.

Your attempt to dismiss my point just shows your bias.

Last edited:
From http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/ron-paul-what-wikileaks/

Popular Texas Republican Congressman Ron Paul is no stranger to breaking with his party, but in a recent television appearance the libertarian-leaning Rep. went even further than any member of Congress in defending whistleblower website WikiLeaks.

Speaking to Fox Business host Judge Napolitano on Thursday about recent revelations at the Federal Reserve, Paul's typical candor showed through.

"What we need is more WikiLeaks about the Federal Reserve," he said. "Can you imagine what it'd be like if we had every conversation in the last 10 years with our Federal Reserve people, the Federal Reserve chairman, with all the central bankers of the world and every agreement or quid-pro-quo they have? It would be massive. People would be so outraged."

Paul, a longtime critic of the US Federal Reserve, is the incoming chairman of a House subcommittee on monetary policy. His most recent book, titled "End the Fed," takes aim at central banks the world over, blaming fiat money systems and fractional reserve banking for the world's increasingly volatile economies.

“In a free society we're supposed to know the truth,” Paul insisted. “In a society where truth becomes treason, then we're in big trouble. And now, people who are revealing the truth are getting into trouble for it.

“In a free society we're supposed to know the truth,” Paul insisted. “In a society where truth becomes treason, then we're in big trouble. And now, people who are revealing the truth are getting into trouble for it.

My respect for Ron Paul is due to statements like that.

But of course many think of him as an on the margin kook.

Below from http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/dec/09/091718/tampas-odyssey-marine-caught-up-in-wikileaks-docum/

Among the thousands of documents released by WikiLeaks are several U.S. diplomatic cables describing how U.S. ambassadors were helping Spain in their cause – partly to help broker a deal to bring a famous painting in Spain to a U.S. citizen who claimed it was looted by the Nazis in World War II.

Specifically, the U.S. offered to provide confidential customs documents prepared by Odyssey that Spain in turn planned to use in court to fight the company.

Odyssey officials are not pleased.

"The cables seem to indicate that someone in the U.S. State Department has literally offered to sacrifice Odyssey and its thousands of shareholders along with the many jobs created by the company in exchange for the return of one painting to one U.S. Citizen," the company said in a statement to the Tribune. "It is hard to believe that this really happened. It sounds like something out of a Hollywood script."

London's Guardian newspaper first reported the cables, as part of its ongoing digestion of thousands of documents released by WikiLeaks.

Back