New Study: Drink THIS Much Water Daily

certified psycho

Beware of the Shockie Monkey
Registered Senior Member
How much water should you drink every day? The latest study from researchers at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City concludes that the old standby of eight glasses a day still holds. Here's the surprising gotcha: If you don't drink enough water, the greatest effect may not be physical--it's mental and emotional.

Drink just half the recommended amount of water, and you'll likely suffer from mild dehydration. You'll also have less energy, and you won't be able to concentrate and focus as you normally would.

"For people who aren't exercising a lot or living in a very warm climate, eight glasses of water a day may be a good rule of thumb," lead researcher Dr. Wayne Askew told Reuters. If you do exercise and sweat a lot, then you need more than eight glasses to properly hydrate your body.

Our bodies need water, primarily because water makes up more than 70 percent of solid body tissue. It helps regulate body temperature, carries nutrients and oxygen to cells, removes waste, cushions joints, and protects organs and tissues, explains Reuters. Too little water can cause headaches, grogginess, and dry, itchy skin. When we become severely dehydrated, it can affect our blood pressure, circulation, digestion, kidney function, and nearly all body processes.

so are you drinking 8 glasses yourself?

In the winter, it's kind of hard to stretch to that amount but in the summer it's no problem. Working out does help though, jogging, swimming, whatever.

I know someone who invented dialysis treatment and they concluded that a lot of patients who are mainly in their old age have kidney failure or digestion problems from lack of drinking water after eating. Most people drink other beverages after a meal or during. Though in some cultures tend to think that drinking during a meal is dirty or bad. Afterwards is the most proper way. Think about it, do you drink water right after eating? Or do you grab a cola, whatever bubbled drink to quench your thirst?

water requirements are different for everyone so the 8 glass rule is kind of stupid. i can literally drink gallons of water in a single day. if i don't get enough, i feel dehydrated.

It has been several years since I drank a full glass of straight water. I practically live off of sweetened iced tea. No wonder I'm so messed up. ;)

Originally posted by SwedishFish
water requirements are different for everyone so the 8 glass rule is kind of stupid. i can literally drink gallons of water in a single day. if i don't get enough, i feel dehydrated.

Exactly. I don't know where this study was conducted but it has been found that 8 glasses a day isn't neccessary. Doctors recommend drinking the amount that makes you feel satisfied and i would certainly suffer drinking 8 glasses of water a day seeing as how i would be bloated 24/7 and toilet prone.

The ammount of any substance to be taken in depends on individual's body mass. This includes water; some may need more, some may need less.

In a day, I may drink as much as nearly two gallons(no jokin, when the air is dry I feel badly thirsty)... other times, 2 big bottles of water is enough.....

Also the way you breath influences the amount of water you need.

If you breath through your nose theres less water lost and some is even reprocesed.

But if you breath through your mouth you use up more water and it is not reprocesed.

I know this because when I sleep I sleep with my mouth open and when I wake up my mouth and throut are dry and I drink alot of water. :)

I just drink water when im thirsty. But when i have soccer practice, every day, for 3 hours, it becomes necessary to drink a lot of water, like a gallon. I also live in Colorado, where it is very dry. :m:

Originally posted by SwedishFish

thats because you are a fish and shouldnt be putting the rest of us down :(

dinokg

I thnk that's because our mouths have 'fountains of water', well sort of..... you know where your salliva is stored, okay?

Yup. The saliva glands in the mouth are kind of like the sweat glands on the rest of the body.

When I or anyone sleeps with there mouth open the saliva evaporates just like sweat. But since the saliva is more plentiful in the mouth it evaporates more.

Thats why breathing through the mouth dehydrates you quicker then nose breathing.

i drink like 2 - 3 gallons a day... but then thats when im working, about a gallon when im not

8 glasses is what, like 64 ounces? that seems like too little to me...

I drink like a fish. I've got a water cooler next to my desk. I certainly drink more than the recommended minimum.

I still feel like a piece of shit that's been smeared all over the pavement though :(

roughly 2 liters per day. it depends on average temperature of your body. mine is slightly high always.

i have no earthly idea how much water i drink...
however i will likly obsses over this for a few days, measuring how much i drink and counting how many times i drink etc etc etc

coke helps dehydrate you, processing all the shit in it takes more water then it brings in. Let me stress the word shit.

Back