Neet Fish

do you have any pics of that?

It's a different species, but from the same family Opisthoproctidae (Barreleyes):

Winteria_telescopa.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barreleye

I can't find any good images of the species in question, but here's a drawing:

badge.jpg

I can't find any good images of the species in question, but here's a drawing:

badge.jpg

the odd ting about this, i have seen those images as well, is that this particular specimen is comletely transparent whereas the other seems to be transparent around head region only.

It is interest to not that fish look different alive, which should be obvious =, but even look different in water as opposed to out of water whilst still alive in both instances.

Here is another neet fish:

spookfish.jpg

Of all the animals in the world, the lowly spookfish has the oddest eyes — compound mechanisms that bear more than a passing resemblance to rearview mirrors.

The bottom half of its eyes point upwards. The upper half point downwards, and are backed with a layer of reflective guanine crystals that bounce a focused image into the retina.

"In nearly 500 million years of vertebrate evolution, and many thousands of vertebrate species living and dead, this is the only one known to have solved the fundamental optical problem faced by all eyes — how to make an image — using a mirror," said Julian Partridge, a University of Bristol vision ecologist, in a press release.

Lenses are the most common optically refractive structure, but also absorb some of the light passing through them. Mirrors are more efficient, making the spookfish's eyes especially well-suited to its half-mile-deep Pacific haunts.

Wow, this is a really neet adaptation:

barreleye1-350.jpg

The barreleye (Macropinna microstoma) has extremely light-sensitive eyes that can rotate within a transparent, fluid-filled shield on its head. The fish's tubular eyes are capped by bright green lenses. The eyes point upward (as shown here) when the fish is looking for food overhead. They point forward when the fish is feeding. The two spots above the fish's mouth are are olfactory organs called nares, which are analogous to human nostrils. Image: © 2004 MBARI

There are a few species of transparent fish like this. What makes the Macropinna Microstoma unique is that it looks like only one portion of it's body (the head) is transparent. The other fish/squid/etc I've seen are totally transparent

Kinda reminds me of gigantocypris with its huge googly eyeballs.

There are a few species of transparent fish like this. What makes the Macropinna Microstoma unique is that it looks like only one portion of it's body (the head) is transparent. The other fish/squid/etc I've seen are totally transparent

Kinda reminds me of gigantocypris with its huge googly eyeballs.

Yes, that seems to be a unique adaptation.

I have been trying to locate other fish with this adaptation, finding some really weird adaptations.

Enmos, is your avatar a picture of an actual Dutchman? Because either way, it's terrifying.

Back