Need help refuting this argument against evolutionary biology.

So I guess no one knows the validity of that radiometric dating claim... you guys are lame.

Okay, here's you guys "HE IS LIKE SO DUMB OMGZ HE BELIEVES IN GOD AND HE'S USING FAKE FAX OMGZ BUT I DONT EXPLAIN DEM CUZ HE BELEEVES IN GOD AND DAT IS LIK A WASTE OF TIME CUZ HE BLEVES IN GOD IM ATHEIST DID U KNO DAT LOL LETS HIGH FIVE AND SLAP EACH UDDERS ASS CUZ WE ATHEISTS YAAAAAYYY!!!" ;)

lol

So I guess no one knows the validity of that radiometric dating claim... you guys are lame.
Excuse me. There are numerous members who have seen that silly claim before. One of those members has provided you with a link to a detailed discussion of why the Mt. St. Helens story is bunk. Please refer to answers post about three posts above this one.

If, once you have read this link, you are still unclear on any point, I or any other informed member will be happy to clarify this for you.

"HE IS LIKE SO DUMB OMGZ HE BELIEVES IN GOD AND HE'S USING FAKE FAX OMGZ BUT I DONT EXPLAIN DEM CUZ HE BELEEVES IN GOD AND DAT IS LIK A WASTE OF TIME CUZ HE BLEVES IN GOD IM ATHEIST DID U KNO DAT LOL LETS HIGH FIVE AND SLAP EACH UDDERS ASS CUZ WE ATHEISTS YAAAAAYYY!!!"
There are plenty of Christians (indeed the majority of Christians) who have no trouble with accepting evolution. Their are plenty or theists and agnostics who find the nonsense spouted by YECs to be exactly that: nonsense.

You have somehow acquired a faulty idea that accepting evolution is the equivalent of being an atheist. That's a strange viewpoint to have, but it can be corrected - in most instances without resorting to invasive surgery.

Stateofmind, you are going on a rant because we didn't answer the question about the dating of Mt St Helen, BUT I posted a link directly answering that...

It seems like you were so excited to insult us and rant that you didn't think to read the replies.

Great impression of athiests though... because people like Richard Dawkins and other scientists are well known for their ghetto talk.... :bugeye:

Stateofmind, you are going on a rant because we didn't answer the question about the dating of Mt St Helen, BUT I posted a link directly answering that...

It seems like you were so excited to insult us and rant that you didn't think to read the replies.

Great impression of athiests though... because people like Richard Dawkins and other scientists are well known for their ghetto talk.... :bugeye:

True I missed the link. I'm gonna check it out. I should have replaced "god" with "creationism" though - other than that I stand by what I said.

Last edited:
Stateofmind, we weren't like that, you clearly exagerated what you percieved we were saying. Exagerations are stupid in their very nature. So don't try to portray us as stupid because of your exageration.

Rubbish. Every one of his points was total nonsense and betrays a profound lack of knowledge of the subjects he is discussing.
Or, as I suggested, he may understand these things very well, and is being intellectually dishonest. In my experience that is typical of evolution denialists. In my only extended encounter with one, he used every one of the types of intellectually dishonest arguments that I enumerated in my earlier post. I have seen them repeated over and over again since then, including right here on SciForums.

"Where are the fossils of all the transitional species?" is their latest mantra. As if anyone who has taken one single course in paleontology could not know that it's a miracle (metaphorically speaking) that there are any fossils at all.

As I said, I think this fellow knows that he is lying. There's not much we can do with people like that... except learn to communicate better so that Americans will listen to us too.
There are plenty of Christians (indeed the majority of Christians) who have no trouble with accepting evolution.
Including some rather respected, influential Christians. The Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Patriarch of the Orthodox Church... The only organized community of any size of evolution denialists is the Religous Redneck Retard Revival, which is strictly an American aberration.
Great impression of athiests though... because people like Richard Dawkins and other scientists are well known for their ghetto talk.
Dawkins should be tarred and feathered. He misrepresents both the vast majority of atheists and the vast majority of theists, and then sets these two straw men to fighting, as if he's discovered something profound and important.

I would accuse him of intellectual dishonesty, except in his case I think he's an authentic moron.

Fraggle Rocker, your opinion on Dawkins is interesting. Can you give some examples of what he's done/taught that you don't agree with?

Personally I don't like his attitude, he comes off as extremely arrogant and forceful. But at the same time, arguing against creationists day in and day out is sure to try your patience.

Fraggle, I am also interested in your opinion on Dawkins. I agree with you that he misrepresents the majority of theists, but I’m not so sure why you think he misrepresents atheists.

Eventually you can argue a creationist to the point of arguing that god made it look like evolution happened to test the faithful, at which point there is no further arguing.

Dawkins should be tarred and feathered. He misrepresents both the vast majority of atheists and the vast majority of theists, and then sets these two straw men to fighting, as if he's discovered something profound and important.

I would accuse him of intellectual dishonesty, except in his case I think he's an authentic moron.

Nice.

Fraggle said:
Dawkins should be tarred and feathered. He misrepresents both the vast majority of atheists and the vast majority of theists,
He doesn't, actually.

He just irritates people with his tone of voice. What he actually says is more or less ordinary description of obvious situations. People aren't used to having these observations made in simple declarative sentences, is one problem. His accent is snooty, is another. And he tries to be funny, which is a mistake.

Fraggle said:
When you find yourself having to describe people like Dawkins as morons, to justify your attitude toward them, a little warning bell should go off in the back of your mind: really?

Fraggle Rocker, your opinion on Dawkins is interesting. Can you give some examples of what he's done/taught that you don't agree with?
It's been a while since I've seen any extensive quotes from his work so I'll have to get back to you when I find one. However, I remember remarking that he seems to be unfamiliar with Jung's work and therefore with archetypes, instinctive beliefs that are passed down to us, ironically enough, by evolution. I don't see how an atheist (or anyone else) can claim any authority on the subject of religion if he hasn't done enough homework to uncover its roots. The reason that people can have unshakeable faith in gods and other things supernatural is that these are things they have "known" since they were born, longer than any knowledge they have acquired by reasoning and learning, and which therefore feel more true than reasoned and learned knowledge.

Most higher animals, including humans, are born with the instinct to flee from a larger animal with both eyes set in front of its face, i.e., a predator. (This is why monsters in movies usually have the faces of predators rather than herbivores: the better to scare us.) We use experience to teach our children that this instinct is misleading and should be cautiously overridden: we set them in a room with a large dog who immediately begins treating them with love, trust, protection and playfulness. They are then able to override this instinct by learning from experience.

But we have no comparable experience to override a child's instinctive belief in the supernatural. All we can tell him is that supernaturalism claims to falsify science, and is therefore an extraordinary assertion, and the Rule of Laplace requires extraordinary assertions to be supported by extraordinary evidence, and in 500 years the scientific method has turned up no evidence of any kind to support supernaturalism, and yatta yatta. The poor kid has to be well into adolescence before he can even understand this argument. And by then his supernaturalistic culture has become part of who he is.

I admit that I have not read any of Dawkins's books, but if someone who has can show me how he touches on what I consider to be one of the most important issues in the debate between science and supernaturalism, I will be happy to read it and apologize.

People who are not scientists are not going to be swayed by scientific arguments.
. . . . arguing against creationists day in and day out is sure to try your patience.
So why does he have to focus his efforts on creationists and creationism? In most of the world creationism is a fringe movement. It has reached critical mass only in the United States, part of the anti-intellectual Religious Redneck Retard Revival of the late 1970s. Sure, there are a few creationists everywhere and of course they'll surround Dawkins like antibodies on an influenza virus, but the Pope, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and AFAIK the leaders of all the other major, reputable Christian sects have acknowledged that the bibilical tale of creation is a metaphor not meant to be taken literally.

At the same time we scientists and scientist-wannabes admit that we have not yet elevated the hypothesis of abiogenesis to a canonical theory, so anyone who doubts our explanation of the transformation of inorganic matter into organic matter is free to do so without being cast out as an anti-scientist.

I fault Dawkins not only for his shrillness, but for his misplaced focus and for the shallowness of his understanding of the issues on which he claims to speak for all of us.
Fraggle, I am also interested in your opinion on Dawkins. I agree with you that he misrepresents the majority of theists, but I’m not so sure why you think he misrepresents atheists.
I'm the most outspoken atheist anyone who knows me has ever met, and I do not argue in Dawkins's way. I certainly have my shrill moments, as anyone who has read my posts on this website knows. But when engaged in a halfway rational argument with a theist, I do NOT argue the way he does. My approach to creationism, in particular, focuses on explaining that evolution and abiogenesis are two separate things, and that accepting the one does not require one to accept the other. Darwin never postulated that God did not create the first lifeform. He only argued that all subsequent lifeforms were derived from it naturally, not supernaturally.
When you find yourself having to describe people like Dawkins as morons, to justify your attitude toward them, a little warning bell should go off in the back of your mind: really?
Yes, I'll accept that criticism. After a moment's thought, let me put it to you more carefully: Dawkins is an asshole. By inviting the Christian community to accept him as the spokesman for the "atheist community," if such a thing even exists, he allows them to draw the reasonable conclusion that we're all assholes.

fraggle said:
By inviting the Christian community to accept him as the spokesman for the "atheist community," if such a thing even exists, he allows them to draw the reasonable conclusion that we're all assholes.
Exactly how is he "inviting" such an error? By speaking his mind in public?

The easy fix for that would be to become or support a different such spokesman, representing one's own faction of th atheist community however such might be defined.

I think you will find far fewer scientists willing to back an assertion that Jungian archetypes are inherited, than are willing to acknowledge that standard, mainstream theistic beliefs systems display quite a few features that will not withstand careful, or scientific, description.
Fraggle said:
So why does he have to focus his efforts on creationists and creationism? In most of the world creationism is a fringe movement. It has reached critical mass only in the United States, part of the anti-intellectual Religious Redneck Retard Revival of the late 1970s.
You greatly underestimate creationism in the world; meanwhile, Dawkins himself explains, in his writings, why he focused on the issues he chose.
fraggle said:
But when engaged in a halfway rational argument with a theist, I do NOT argue the way he does
You are not familiar with the way Dawkins argues when faced with a halfway rational argument.

One of Dawkins's points, and it's often well taken, is that theistic people do not very often employ even halfway rational arguments - and that they get away with very poor quality argument that would earn no one else a pass.

The only block I have come to when arguing creationist is when they resort to the "god is testing us" argument, I can disprove any other argument to their face but that one. The best I have gotten is "god is clearly not benevolent as he trying to trick people and send them to hell" but this only causes rage in the minds of theists. I don't know why because of course as I say this nicely, not like comparing god astutely to some kind of huge bully that demands you suck his balls or else he going to rape you with his gigantic jackhammer of a penis.

The only block I have come to when arguing creationist is when they resort to the "god is testing us" argument, I can disprove any other argument to their face but that one.
This model of gods is unscientific, but it is at least not antiscientific. It does not claim to falsify any scientific theories the way the Flood, the Resurrection, the Pillar of Salt, and the other biblical myths do.

It's a variant of the Cosmic Watchmaker model: God made the Big Bang happen, and he's been sitting around watching his intricate creations operate. Since he does not interfere in the operation of the natural universe he created, the supernatural universe in which he exists is not an external force acting upon it and its behavior is entirely governed by the natural laws that science discovers. So this hypothesis is not antiscientific.

The variance is that since God is "obviously" more interested in humans than in all the rest of the universe combined, he would probably have gotten bored waiting thirteen billion years for Homo sapiens to speciate, or to invent agriculture, or to build cities... or to discover the technology of bronze metallurgy, which is where most holy books start covering human history in any great detail.

So God being God, with his tremendous skill he simply created the universe as a "ship in a bottle," carefully leaving fossil evidence of species that would have existed if the earth was that old, and even creating light waves that appear to have originated thirteen billion years ago at the edge of the universe. Then he pulled the string, wound the spring, pushed the button, entered the command on his keyboard, or did whatever gods do, and this universe sprang into action, exactly simulating one that had been evolving for thirteen billion years.

Once again, since he meticulously ensured that his toy obeys all the natural laws, including the ones that we haven't even discovered yet, this hypothesis is not antiscientific. He never sticks his finger into the universe to perturb its operation.

The only thing wrong with these hypotheses, from the standpoint of science, is that they cannot be tested. Whether they are true or false has no impact on anything, so they are irrelevant speculation.

It's like saying, "I think one of my ancestors, 750 generations ago, was a great explorer who walked across Beringia with the first wave of Paleoindians." It doesn't matter, dude! Believe anything that makes you happy!
The best I have gotten is "god is clearly not benevolent as he trying to trick people and send them to hell" but this only causes rage in the minds of theists.
At this point the assertion of the theists becomes an extraordinary assertion and falls under the Rule of Laplace. They are asserting that some important part of us continues to exist after our physical bodies die, i.e., our "soul" goes to "heaven" or "hell." This contradicts several important natural laws, probably including entropy itself, which is nothing to fuck with. Therefore they must provide extraordinary evidence to support this assertion, before anyone is obliged to treat it with respect.

You are within your rights to treat these assertions with disrespect.

However, to play devil's advocate here (strictly metaphorical, we all know there is no devil), what if they say:
  • They: There is evidence for existence of the supernatural.
  • We: Huh? What's that? How did we miss it?
  • They: Well, as the Fraggle kindly pointed out on another thread, belief in the supernatural is a nearly universal motif in every society and every era: a Jungian archetype.
  • We: I read that. Archetypes are instincts that are passed down in our DNA. Jung didn't know about DNA but that ties up his theory very neatly. That Fraggle is one smart cookie but he's a pain in the ass because he keeps coming up with these perfectly rational apologies for religion. I'll bet he's got a doozy lurking at the end of this very post.
  • They: Why was that particular instinct passed down?
  • We: Most instincts are survival traits, although occasionally a random mutation is passed down through a genetic bottleneck.
  • They: When was the last genetic bottleneck in Homo sapiens?
  • We: That would be Y-Chromosome Adam, our last MRCA (most recent common ancestor), ten to thirty thousand years before we left Africa and the entire human population could no longer have an MRCA.
  • They: Don't you always rant on about how much violence and hatred religion causes? Does that make it sound like a survival trait?
  • We: Gosh no. If anything, it's just the opposite.
  • They: Then isn't it rather odd that in all that time people with a mutation that turns off the religion instinct haven't become the dominant gene pool?
  • We: Uh... well yes, I guess so, and I don't really like where you're going with this.
  • They: It's sort of a miracle that this instinct is still so universal, isn't it.
  • We: Well, I really hate to use words like "miracle"...
  • They: God planted that instinct in our DNA as evidence of his existence. Then he tweaked the law of averages ever so slightly to make sure it was never bred out of our DNA by a random mutation. He figured one day we'd figure that out.
  • We: Stunned silence.
  • They: Q.E.D.

Exactly the problem, it can't be tested, all that can be questioned at that point is what kind of deity would does these things.

Back