Natural food antibiotics?

You can use a large ice chest and pour 120 degree water as the heating medium. Yogurt does best at 100 - 110 degrees. Too high, it becomes tart quickly. You can buy the danactive brand and use it as a starter.

I'm still not getting the yogurt theme. I mean yogurt is great, but it's hardly a strong antibiotic. Or even a mild one. It is in fact a biotic, a good one.

It can be a good idea to eat yogurt if you have had allopathic antibiotics since these latter can kill the good bacteria in our GI. Is that what people are getting at?

I'm still not getting the yogurt theme. I mean yogurt is great, but it's hardly a strong antibiotic. Or even a mild one. It is in fact a biotic, a good one.

It can be a good idea to eat yogurt if you have had allopathic antibiotics since these latter can kill the good bacteria in our GI. Is that what people are getting at?

You are correct. Yogurt is Probiotic. The idea is that if you have a lot of good soldiers they will crowd out the bad ones. So, the bad ones will not have a chance. Besides the good ones provide a lot of benefits to the body (google that). That seems to work for me and my family.

And if you take antibiotics, you need to replace the good ones. But the idea is that you should not get to that point by maintaining high Probiotic levels both inside and outside (skin, mouth etc). Bad bacterias cause bad smell too....

OK. Thanks for clarifying.
My sense is that if you have an infection, yoghurt is not going to help. I see it is as long term solution, part of a nutritional approach to prevention. If you care getting chronic infections looking at your intestinal flora and the immune system in general and improving these things is great, but to deal with the infection you need something more direct. Me, I prefer not to use prescription anti-biotics. Even with protective measures like yoghurt I think these things are not healthy, both for me as an individual and for our little species, as we create more and more resistant strains, which herbal approaches do not create.

If you care getting chronic infections looking at your intestinal flora and the immune system in general and improving these things is great, but to deal with the infection you need something more direct.

It's those inbetween times, transitions that are so difficult.

One thing is to go probiotic while you are relatively healthy. Something else is to try to make changes when the colds, sinusitis etc. problems have already become chronic.

I think I may have said it in respone to one of your posts. Boiled water in a pan on the floor or on the kitchen table. Towel over head, careful of the heat, sensitive membranes in nose and eyes. Drops of essential oils like basil or peppermint can be added to the water. As the water cools you can blow on it and more heat comes up. This can help loosen up impacted mucus in the sinuses. 2-3 times a day - with the oils, more times without OK.

Yes, you've said this before, thanks. :)
I wasn't sure if the same goes for sinusitis as for colds. I should have been more specific in my question.

Hey, I'm a tangent maker myself. It came off like people were saying, somehow, that yogurt could clear up an infection. Just wanted to put in my two cents that this is probably misleading. As long as we all know we are wandering, great. I am pro-yogurt, even.

Yes, you've said this before, thanks. :)
I wasn't sure if the same goes for sinusitis as for colds. I should have been more specific in my question.
I got the impression working with people that sinusitus, recurring that is, is a problem with a lot of roots: dietary, emotional, opportunistic - on the part of the viruses or bacteria involved - and takes time to extricate oneself from. Allergies seem to play a role for some people. Often getting in there fast toward the end of winter well, before allergies hit, helped some people. But others did not seem to have allergies as a contributing factor.

Moderator Note:

Please refrain from flaming in Biology and Genetics forums.

Last edited:
Back