NASA STS 114 Video

I have a logical answer.

Perhaps it's an object that hit terminal velocity and then reversed, there's no way of determining which way is up and which is down. Perhaps the trajectory was away from the earth and the camera was rotated at an angle.

The force it had on the trajectory away from the earth became equal to the gravitational force. So the velocity became 0, then the gravity pulled it back down along the same trajectory.

The force it had on the trajectory away from the earth became equal to the gravitational force. So the velocity became 0, then the gravity pulled it back down along the same trajectory.

Well since you say the velocity becomes zero, I am assuming you mean a straight up-down trajectory (instead of an ecliptic trajectory where velocity cannot become zero).

This explanations fails for two reasons. If you watch closely the path taken entering the picture is not on the same line as the path taken out (and there is no obvious curvature). Also the object does not accelerate away at the same rate as the deceleration before the stop. (It should be the same both ways)

I have a logical answer.

Perhaps it's an object that hit terminal velocity and then reversed, there's no way of determining which way is up and which is down. Perhaps the trajectory was away from the earth and the camera was rotated at an angle.

No, for terminal velocity only occurs within an atmosphere. It is the poitn at which the air hitting the falling object resists it's velocity by the objects weight force that basically means that the wind blowing upwards equals the weight force of the object and thus, the object cannot accelerate anymore and is relying on its momentum. In space, there is no atmosphere, so no terminal velocity.

No, for terminal velocity only occurs within an atmosphere. It is the poitn at which the air hitting the falling object resists it's velocity by the objects weight force that basically means that the wind blowing upwards equals the weight force of the object and thus, the object cannot accelerate anymore and is relying on its momentum. In space, there is no atmosphere, so no terminal velocity.

Right I admitted the misuse of the term. I meant the escape force became equal to the attractive force.

The video quality here is so poor I am not sure what is in the picture. The simple movements here look like 'retrograde' motion. Without any info on the film I do not think it is fair to assume that this is shown in real time. The changes in brightness might mean that we are seeing the object from a different position relative to the sun.

If this is a real time video I'd guess we are looking at ice or paint flakes separating from the shuttle. The shuttle is moving relative to these particles and the relative motion is perceived by the viewer as a change in position of the particle when this is more likely movement of the shuttle and the camera.

For the UFO folks out there I have to admit - this is a great UFO shot. It is fuzzy. Has no detail. No inexplicable movements. This video needs a theremin piece to set the mood.

The simple movements here look like 'retrograde' motion. Without any info on the film I do not think it is fair to assume that this is shown in real time.

This is a camera in orbit around the Earth. Therefore it is impossible that retrograde behaviors be observed without the camera continuing its orbit so the object is no longer in the line of sight as the Earth blocks it. (Again it takes several days-weeks to observe a full retrograde motion in the sky) This film is real time.

The changes in brightness might mean that we are seeing the object from a different position relative to the sun.

Possible, but this does not explain the motion.

If this is a real time video I'd guess we are looking at ice or paint flakes separating from the shuttle. The shuttle is moving relative to these particles and the relative motion is perceived by the viewer as a change in position of the particle when this is more likely movement of the shuttle and the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Cn3yCXtDA&feature=related
Here is a longer clip to provide more scope. As you can see even though this camera is in orbit at several thousands km/h the background stars are not moving much.
Furthermore at the end of this clip the camera does start to move, and it has no effect on the objects path.

For the UFO folks out there I have to admit - this is a great UFO shot.

I agree.

This is a typical crappy, blurry, video of no value. It sucks. There is no way to know if the 'object' is outside the craft or a reflection from inside the craft.

So tell me, what is the arc across the bottom of the video. What are the 'clouds' that appear in the video.

Thanks for taking my comment out of context. Typical UFO weenie tactic.

Back