Name a single universally prohibited act

swarm

Registered Senior Member
I'll knock off a few standard ones: murder, cannibalism and incest all have cultures which allow them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocide

"Under international law

In the wake of the Holocaust, Lemkin successfully campaigned for the universal acceptance of international laws defining and forbidding genocide. This was achieved in 1948, with the promulgation of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide."

Just because people do it doesn't mean it's allowed

Murder is a universally prohibited act, where "murder" is defined to be the unlawful killing of a human being.

Betrayer0fHope
he is right though, for instance killing in self defence is NOT murder. Nor is vollentary euthanasia if alowed by law

its not wether the offence itself is universal but rather if the definition and preconditions of that offence are universal

Murder is a universally prohibited act, where "murder" is defined to be the unlawful killing of a human being.

Ever hear of assasins? We employ quite a number of them for murdering foreign political enemies.

Also "murder" is practically a meaningless term as it is redefined locally by people so that it allows the killing they approve of and disallows the killing they don't aprove of.

Oh and since we are defining terms "universal" would mean all peoples throughout history.

They're playing the semantics game with you, swarm. The truth is, there is nothing that is universally accepted or frowned upon. It's all subjective. What one person might call murder, another might call self-defense.

since age of consent rules varies around the world ...

one man's meat is another's jailbait

Duly noted and accepted,but its still paedophilia; they just put different ages on it. I'm sure debauching an infant is prohibited universally at law!

Duly noted and accepted,but its still paedophilia; they just put different ages on it. I'm sure debauching an infant is prohibited universally at law!

I may be misreading the title of the thread, but I didn't take "prohibited" to mean strictly "illegal". I saw it as more of a moral issue. Maybe I'm wrong about that...

And I'm not sure how many folks honestly want to debauch an infant.

Universally accepted as "bad"? Perhaps being lied to ...being intentionally deceived by another person. I don't know of any culture that makes being lied to as a "good thing". Do you?

Now remember, that's not just plain ol' lying ....but being lied TO, as in personally.

Baron Max

Universally accepted as "bad"? Perhaps being lied to ...being intentionally deceived by another person. I don't know of any culture that makes being lied to as a "good thing". Do you?

Now remember, that's not just plain ol' lying ....but being lied TO, as in personally.

Baron Max

Ooh...that's a good one...

...but its still paedophilia; ....

since the defining characteristic of pedophilia involves puberty, the charge can have a meaning foundered on a biological basis. legalistic reasoning employs additional criteria that are more ambiguous in nature

Ooh...that's a good one...

pshaw!

"but being lied TO, as in personally. (baron)"

being murdered, as in personally
being raped....
beaten..
starved...

ja
fascinating piece of goddamn insight, eh?

what about the "white lie" where even the grieved party could on occasion profess an understanding and perhaps indulgence

Last edited:
Back