My gravity theory

Motor Daddy said:
...Isaac Newton himself said, 'I suspect that my theories may all depend upon a force for which philosophers have searched all of nature in vain.' Of course, he is alluding to a higher power.

The person you're quoting doesn't understand the modern concept of a force. We've uncovered four distinct fundamental forces, three of which are described by gauge theories. The gauge principle involves giving a global symmetry extra dimension by making it a local symmetry. To restore the global symmetry (in a local frame) something has to be added to the theory--a force, or force carrying particle. Newton started at the "wrong" end, by postulating forces in a gravitational field and not specifying a global symmetry (of the gravitational field). This is what Einstein did when he postulated that acceleration and gravity are indistinguishable (i.e. identical).

However, because a gravitational field is described by a tensor with 10 distinct components, it's fundamentally a different kind of field than the others. Moreover, it doesn't have a fixed background, or rather it depends on no particular geometry, since all points in the 4-dimensional field are equivalent. Geometry in relativity evolves depending on local conditions, which are arbitrary.

After all this time, I'm still not sure... is MD a fantastically dedicated troll, or is he really so completely deluded?

I came across this today, and it predicts that orbits decay by a certain amount. It is predicted to be caused by gravitational waves, but then scientist have been unable to detect gravitational waves in the labratory. So then they seem to cause orbit decay, but then they don't seem to increase the distance measured by the speed of light. Maybe someone with some real scientific understanding could sort this out for me... What do you think this means when there are gravitational waves in one experiment and not in another?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulse-Taylor_binary

This I deny. I know for a fact that Newton did not understand torque. I would venture to say that you have an excellent understanding of the way Newton understood torque, don't you? If you want we can have a little torque chat, with me using my world and you representing Newton's views on torque. What do you say, shall we?
I realize my words are wasted on you, and it's worse to post formulas since you have no idea what they mean.

Your obsession with torque is ridiculous. In the first place, it was known to Newton as "the moment of a force". This just opens up another can of worms since you have no clue what that means either, do you. Just for the hell of it, I checked Principia and there were something like 65 references to moments that appeared to be relevant to this question of what Newton knew about torque that you're pretending to excel at. But harping on this trifling subject just says you really don't have any idea what Newton is about.

You would really get lost in his work, since he goes through derivation after derivation using geometry and other fundamental tools of math that you wouldn't understand.

I already told you: torque is F x r. Newton explained this in prose, for example that the force applied on the "handles" of a screw is proportional to the force transmitted to the body where the screw tip impinges. His technical derivations are completely beyond your capacity to understand, so I'll leave it there.

No one here has any clue what you're talking about when you say you want to debate the meaning of torque. There's nothing to debate. It's eff cross arr.

Before you would begin to understand Newton, you would need to master geometry, and not just the pictorial abstractions, but the whole system of drawing conclusions about the truth of a matter by parsing the argument into a sequence of elementary logic statements. Newton was really good at this, and in spite of his antiquated English, he packs a lot of ideas into a compact verbiage.

He follows the scientific method to a tee, and goes out of his way to present topics according to an organized format that builds, like geometry, from axiom to axiom. Principia almost models itself after a geometry textbook. You immediately notice how Newton was concerned with being so clear that the reader would actually learn about kinematics, orbital mechanics, and gravitation just by reading Principia in the manner of a self-paced tutorial. His intro extolling the virtues of teaching and learning are exactly the reverse of the approach you take, which is, random attacks on the fields of math and science.

F x r. That's all there is to it.

This I deny. I know for a fact that Newton did not understand torque. I would venture to say that you have an excellent understanding of the way Newton understood torque, don't you? If you want we can have a little torque chat, with me using my world and you representing Newton's views on torque. What do you say, shall we?

OK. Instead of going circles (so to speak) why is this short chapter on Torque and Rotational Motion wrong?

That's part of the reason I didn't do well in school. I can not continue to believe anything in that paper because I know for a fact it is wrong!

I was skimming the first part and noticed this:

"If we take something that is translating, i.e. moving in the x-direction, all of its particles are moving in that direction."

That is absolutely a false statement!

So a solid body that is moved 3 meters to the left, all of its points are not 3 meters to the left? Explain why not. Where did they go?

So a solid body that is moved 3 meters to the left, all of its points are not 3 meters to the left? Explain why not. Where did they go?

What you just asked right there opened up a can of worms the size of a galaxy!

Edit: Before (as measured in absolute time) we can relate to each other about those terms you just used, you must define what you mean when you say: "solid body," "moved 3 meters," "left," "its points," "where did they go?"

You have no idea what you are asking me.

What you just asked right there opened up a can of worms the size of a galaxy!

Edit: Before (as measured in absolute time) we can relate to each other about those terms you just used, you must define what you mean when you say: "solid body," "moved 3 meters," "left," "its points," "where did they go?"

You have no idea what you are asking me.

Really, more semantic games?

Really, more semantic games?

If you think it's semantics then be more precise and I will respond more precisely.

Start by the meaning of the term "solid." Are you proposing that there is no motion inside a ball of fire? How about a ball of lead? A ball of steel? A Galaxy surely must be a solid, right?

If you think it's semantics then be more precise and I will respond more precisely.

Start by the meaning of the term "solid." Are you proposing that there is no motion inside a ball of fire? How about a ball of lead? A ball of steel? A Galaxy surely must be a solid, right?

Troll, pure and simple.

Troll, pure and simple.

Well of course he's a troll!

I expect his next post will be on how all matter is really composed of four elements (air, fire, water and earth.) He's never taken a chemistry course, mind you. He doesn't need to - the whole periodic table theory is clearly wrong.

Back