Mullahs getting less homophobic?

Are we back to the Lot verses again?

In addition, apart from the Lot verses, which are I believe misinterpreted, or misunderstood, the Quran says nothing about homosexuality,

But I have a very liberal translation/interpretation of the Qur'an by Pakistani scholar Ahmed Ali. How is this verse misunderstood?

Al-Qur'an; The Poets (Ash-Shu'ara)
26:160/167

The people of Lot accused the Messenger of lies,
When their brother Lot said to them: "Will you not take heed?
I have been sent as a trusted messenger to you,
So fear Allah and listen to me.
I ask no recompense of you for this.
My reward is due from none but Allah.
Why do you go for males unlike the other creatures,
Leaving the consorts Allah has created for you?
You are a people who exceed all bounds".

Furthermore, the city of Sodom which you mention from Jewish texts could be compared to any city in the Western world, there is almost a complete lack of hospitality towards strangers. In other words the people have become selfish - a characteristic coincidentally found in homosexuals whose nature is a form of self love.

One more important concept which must not be overlooked is that the idea of hetero and homo sexuality is a western idea. There is no single sex concept in the ME (or even shall we say, in the East?) For a man to "adore" another man or even a boy (barring penetrative sex) was not considered wrong. Hence the term sodomites and pederasts as applied to the Arabs (they are always wrong, regardless of whatever their position :)) by Western historians.

Only in the sense that a homosexual relationship, versus just homosexual sex, isn't common right? My understanding of the issue is that sexual relations between males were actually a common staple in the East, but they were never meant to be a substitute for the marriage relationship between a man and a woman.

Back