Most Common Archetypes

TruthSeeker

Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey
Valued Senior Member
What are the most common archetypes found throughout religions, and what do they mean?

Mithraism, Egyptian mythology, Celtic mythology... for resurrection at least.

It's a great evolutionary advantage to fear death, for reasons I'm sure are obvious.

Nowadays things are just as dangerous. Do you check both ways before crossing the street? or better still, do you stroll across a freeway at will? :p

How about "do unto others..." the golden rule? I'd say thats an archetype.
-Andrew

Any archetype is met in almost all mythologies of the world, that's why it's an archetype.

Some archetypes: trickster, soul, god, afterlife, virgin birth, resurrection/second birth, redeeming hero, the power of sacriface, spirit world, the serpent.

This is an interesting topic, but unfortunately I have my exams full swing now. Don't have the time... :(

p.s. Golden rule is no archetype, it's just ethics.

It's not only fear of death, but on how to live, how to face problems and fear, how to be a good husband/wife, how to deal with enemies, how to be not influenced by others, etc. All to do with modern life, because on the social level it's not much different.

p.s. I spend lots of my time in the wild.

Good, evil, the struggle between the two, and the ultimate triumph of the former over the latter.

Creation. Floods or other natural disasters brought on by the divine. The end of the world. A reward/punishment system tied to behavior.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the archetypes in religion, for the most part, can be found even in lots of cultures' non-religious arts and literatures. I think we're all describing archetypes in the way humans think, rather than merely archetypes of religion.

Good, evil, the struggle between the two, and the ultimate triumph of the former over the latter.
Good and evil - no. It's mostly a semitic concept. Many mythologies have nothing to do with good and evil.
Besides not everywhere the 'good' triumphs.

Sorry about the short answers, when the exams finish, I will write a proper reply in this thread.

I think we're all describing archetypes in the way humans think, rather than merely archetypes of religion.
Religion uses the archetypes, archetypes are independent of religion and are a part of our psyche.

I´m impressed no one had mention the most common archetype of all. And it is the unnatural taboo of sex... ejaculation?

Even the most primitive cultures have this taboo, some african tribes cut down the females´ clitoris. 50% of men in the US are circumsized, and even the Bible starts with a man and a woman, isn´t that normal?
Cosidering we are naturally like animals, it is the superiority complex (belief of being superior than animals) that made men realize they were behaving like animals, sexually speaking.

Back