• No

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
Here is a related article that I find:

http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/news/la-hit-and-run.html

Los Angeles Woman Arrested for Hit and Run
September 24th, 2008

"L.A. Woman Facing Felony Manslaughter Charges"

A woman was arrested in Northridge, Los Angeles, Sept. 23, for failing to stop after hitting and killing a woman who was walking across the crosswalk.

Marcia Roberts, 42, was reportedly found in her car blocks from the scene. She was arrested and booked on suspicion of felony manslaughter. Reports indicate that Roberts is suspected of being under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the accident.

Police have not yet released the name of the woman who was hit, but records indicate that the 19-year-old woman died at the scene. Roberts is being held in jail in lieu of a $50,000 bail.

(Source: Los Angeles Times)

Have you or someone you know been involved in a hit and run? If so, it is important to speak to an experienced criminal law attorney who has success in defending the rights of individuals facing criminal hit and run charges.

Hit and run laws vary by state. It is therefore, imperative for you to contact a criminal defense attorney who understands the local laws.

Hit and run punishments differ, too, depending on the severity of the case and whether or not the defendant has a freckled criminal record. It is important to have a criminal law attorney on your side, regardless of the circumstances. A skilled attorney will thoroughly evaluate the situation and fight to have your charges reduced, if not dropped.

So, even if you're not guilty, if you RUN after you hit, indeed you become guilty.

Do you live in America? Here we have homicide and manslaughter. The main different between the two is homicide indicates purpose. Manslaughter is accident.

If you accidentally cause the death of someone else you can get charged manslaughter which usually results in life in prison.

What's the point in differentiating the cause of death if they both lead to a life sentence? The point of manslaughter is to get a lesser sentence. The guy that shot me got charged with manslaughter, he'll be out in 7 years. 5 or sooner if he's a good boy. (The little punk ass idiot :grumble: )

But if I knew I'd get life in prison anyway, then I wouldn't turn myself in. Might as well live it up until I get caught. I'm going to rot in prison anyway. :shrug:

Another article:

http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/criminal_law/hit_and_run.html

Hit and Run Cases

Any person who operates a motor vehicle and is involved in an accident is required by law to stop in a safe place, provide information to the owner of whatever property may have been damaged (car, property, person, etc.), and render aid to anyone who was injured if necessary. Those who cause property damage and are unable to identify or contact the property''s owner are legally required to leave a note with contact information and file an accident report with the police. Failure to do these things constitutes a hit and run.

If you have been charged with a hit and run, you should contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible to learn more about your legal rights and options.

Police Investigations

When police investigate hit and run cases, they typically contact the suspect and ask that person to bring the car to the police station and give a statement. However, making a statement is not always in the suspect''s best interest. In fact, experienced hit and run lawyers recommend against answering questions without first seeking legal counsel.

Sentencing

When a suspect is charged and convicted of a hit and run, sentencing usually takes into account:

* The nature of the accident
* The extent of damage
* Personal injuries
* Cooperation with law enforcement
* Criminal record

The police know that individuals have the right to remain silent before first consulting a lawyer, and exercising this right does not constitute refusal to cooperate. It is always advisable to contact a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.

Sentences can range from a suspended license and fines to serious jail time. In addition, those convicted of a hit and run may lose their vehicle.​

Other related article: http://www.criminal-law-lawyer-source.com/terms/vehicular.html

These days technology has emerged into unimaginable level, just watch CSI, they can always find you :p I say, best to stay honest. Besides, taking two lifes surely deserve some punishment. I can easily say this because I don't drive any car :p

I think most of us would stop if it were a normal prison sentence. A life sentence for a car accident is NOT normal.
There are people who commit first degree murder who don't get that.

I think most of us would stop if it were a normal prison sentence. A life sentence for a car accident is NOT normal.

I think a life sentence is only applied for heavy felony, such as when you drunk driving and then hit people to death.

Here is a question: suppose these two people who got killed (the victims) are your children, what kind of punishment do you think the car driver (who drunk and hit them) deserves to have?

I think a life sentence is only applied for heavy felony, such as when you drunk driving and then hit people to death.

Here is a question: suppose these two people who got killed (the victims) are your children, what kind of punishment do you think the car driver (who drunk and hit them) deserves to have?

I don't know of any drunk driver who ever got life, no matter how many peopel they killed.
And no, I don't think a drunk driver should get life if he/she killed a child of mine.
I'm not a hypocrite, I've driven drunk.

I don't know of any drunk driver who ever got life, no matter how many peopel they killed.
And no, I don't think a drunk driver should get life if he/she killed a child of mine.
I'm not a hypocrite, I've driven drunk.

Well, they are dangerous (the drunk drivers). They have taken lots of life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drunk_driving_(United_States)

In the United States the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that 17,941 people died in 2006 in "alcohol-related" collisions, representing 40 percent of total traffic deaths in the US.

If it was truly an accident and you were not under any type of influence with any previous record, you shouldn't have to go to prison at all. It'd be a misdemeanor. One that might leave you feeling awful guilty.

But if there was a guarantee that you'd get life or the death penalty for something you've already done, why turn yourself in? It can't get worse. I would feel just as bad in prison as I would on a beach in Jamaica. Might as well enjoy some sunshine with my misery, instead of no sunshine and misery. Who knows in a decade or so I might even start to forget what I did and enjoy all sunshine and no misery.

wouldn't you have to be prescient to adhere to the scenario in the OP? that's kind of unrealistic. and given that...i'm all about the truth, and fate.

You have just caused a car accident which has killed 2 people. Your car is not damaged and no one has seen you. You will not cause another accident for the remainder of your life but if you report yourself you will serve a life sentence. Do you hand yourself in?
You say it was an accident, with no witnesses except for me. Why would I serve a life sentence for an accident? Seems to me that reporting it would be the surest way of not going to prison. Here's the good citizen reporting what he saw with, perhaps, a bit of spin on it to minimize my role.

The only way the government would want to put me away for life for something like this is if I was being grossly irresponsible with my driving. I don't do this kind of thing, so there is no way I would ever be in this kind of situation.

But perhaps I had been framed for something as serious and I were in my car at a high speed chase from the police. There deaths would not be my fault. I have the right to survival, whether the police or law officials are ignorant of that right. Their momentum and misguided thinking caused my defense which lead to unsafe speeds. They are to blame and I would never feel guilty for their accidental deaths.

...But perhaps I had been framed for something as serious and I were in my car at a high speed chase from the police. There deaths would not be my fault. I have the right to survival, whether the police or law officials are ignorant of that right. Their momentum and misguided thinking caused my defense which lead to unsafe speeds. They are to blame and I would never feel guilty for their accidental deaths.

?? :bugeye: Are you fleeing from the police because they are going to kill you when they catch you?

You have just caused a car accident which has killed 2 people. Your car is not damaged and no one has seen you. You will not cause another accident for the remainder of your life but if you report yourself you will serve a life sentence. Do you hand yourself in?

No.

People lie. Cheat. Steal and kill for FAR less reasons.
Why should you be different ?
We all say we have morals ,but when we're forced into a situation to live by them, we rationalize and lie to ourselves.

As usual, it's grayer than you paint it. Is there a chance of you getting caught ?

hand myself in, always believed that a life is the single most precious thing in the universe, and i doubt the guilt would let me get away with it

I will serve a life sentence? Then I would not turn myself in..

Back