Monstrous Spiders

R1D2

many leagues under the sea.
Valued Senior Member
Monstrous spiders are thought to exist by villagers in south america.
I read somewhere there was monstrous spiders in our deep past.
Anyone can see some large spider movie. Like the movies ICE SPIDERS, and Camel Spiders.
Let's ponder there is some spider, a little lager than a volleyball. And it could withstand cold to a degree.
Spiders have many eggs. How do you take them out? How could a large or monstrous spider if adapted right be a threat? What could there appetite be like? Could they exist today like the villagers believe? What kind of conditions would we really need for a larger than average spider?
Thought I would ask an share my thoughts and opinions with you. Hope you will do the same.

Monstrous spiders are thought to exist by villagers in south America.
I read somewhere there was monstrous spiders in our deep past.
Anyone can see some large spider movie. Like the movies ICE SPIDERS, and Camel Spiders.
Let's ponder there is some spider, a little lager than a volleyball. And it could withstand cold to a degree.
Spiders have many eggs. How do you take them out? How could a large or monstrous spider if adapted right be a threat? What could there appetite be like? Could they exist today like the villagers believe? What kind of conditions would we really need for a larger than average spider?
Thought I would ask an share my thoughts and opinions with you. Hope you will do the same.

When bugs were really big the oxygen content in the earths atmosphere was much higher approaching 30%. Because of the way bugs breath, the only way they can become larger is in a high oxygen atmosphere. Therefor NO they can't exist now.

R1D2: You take them out with a flamethrower like in the movie ''The Mist.''

The giant Hunstman can have a legspan of 12 inches. Largest legspan spider.
The Goliath Birdeater- Tarantula family- is the largest mass spider.

Many insects and small spiders have no lungs. They diffuse oxygen directly. Larger spiders have book lungs- which is why they drown so danged fast.

As KillJoyKlown pointed out- without a more efficient method of absorbing a lot of oxygen, their size must be limited by how much oxygen they can take in to support their size.
The bigger they are, the harder time they have getting enough oxygen to all parts of the body. Our rapidfire existence of running along a serious of continuous oxygen fueled explosions enables us to dart and dash, but this is always limited by the method of oxygen extraction.
To take

Edit like 5 odd hours later: I just re-read this and realized I never finished the posting. Heh... Oh well, who cares.

Last edited:
In the movie Ice Spiders. The spiders were "engineered". But if they could survive in a low atmosphere. What type of issues could "mankind" face. Also if a spider that was "huge" had those book lungs. Suddenly went from high oxygen to the level we have. What would happen? Would they get slow an just die?
And what type of lungs do the Goliath bird eater have?
And why is a sand spider called a spider? They have 6 legs?
Or Tashja, I guess, live on a small island. Or up high.

Well lets not forget the limitation of an exoskeleton, thank god. Spiders can't get to big or there exoskeletons will weigh so much they won't be able to move.

Yes- you'll notice the largest spider species tend to be sluggish, as well.

Also if a spider that was "huge" had those book lungs. Suddenly went from high oxygen to the level we have. What would happen? Would they get slow an just die?
It would asphyxiate.
Book lungs.
I have no idea what this Sand Spider with six legs is that you're referring to.

:D
Cool picture
http://www.camelspiders.net/large-camel-spider.jpg
I think one spider may be eating another spider though.
HEY check out this article.
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/01/giant-middle-eastern-spider-discovered/
Scientists have unearthed a completely new species of spider hiding in sand dunes on the Israel-Jordan border.
With a legspan that stretches 5.5 inches, the spider, called Cerbalus aravensis, is the biggest of its type in the Middle East.
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2010/01/cerbalus660.jpg

Here is a camel spider movie web sight.
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1618372/

In the movie Ice Spiders. The spiders were "engineered". But if they could survive in a low atmosphere. What type of issues could "mankind" face. Also if a spider that was "huge" had those book lungs. Suddenly went from high oxygen to the level we have. What would happen? Would they get slow an just die?
Or Tashja, I guess, live on a small island. Or up high.

Camel Spider's in the movie, which I watched looked like they have 8 legs to me. However, one of the characters did mention that they had only six legs. So they weren't counting the two legs in the front that had pinchers on them. Spiders are in the arachnid family and they have 8 appendages that are usually legs, but crabs have 6 legs and 2 pincher arms. But clearly these sand spiders are not crabs. How about a new species of arachnid?:D

Also below describes how spiders breathe.

Unlike humans, spiders have an open circulatory system and therefore do not breathe through their mouth. Instead, spiders breathe through four respiratory organs found on their underside. Their respiratory system consists of two very different pairs of organs. The first, called an anterior pair, is found at the front end of the spider's abdomen and the second, called a posterior pair, is found behind the anterior pair. These two pairs can be either book lungs or tracheae. Although some spiders have two pairs of book lungs or two pairs of trachea, in most species the anterior pair are book lungs, whereas the posterior pair are trachea. However, the exact size and location of the trachea holes and book lungs varies in different species of spiders.

The term "book lungs" was derived due to the shape of the organs: they look like book pages. Blood flows through these organs and oxygen is then exchanged via the air circulating between them--so, essentially, the spider is "breathing" through its skin. The oxygen is then delivered to the spider's organs.

Read more: How Do Spiders Breathe? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4567439_spiders-breathe.html#ixzz28cipkQIa

In addition to the book lungs, tiny trachea holes are found on the spider's exoskeleton. Via these holes, which are located on the spider's underside, oxygen is then carried to the spider's internal organs. This method of breathing is much more efficient than using the book lungs. Many scientists believe that the tracheal system actually evolved from the book lungs. This theory is debatable, however, given that many species still rely upon their book lungs.

Rather than blood, a spider's body is filled with hemolymph, which is the blood compound found in all arthropods and mollusks. Through arteries (spiders have no veins) the hemolymph is then passed around their internal organs into spaces called sinuses.

Although spiders do breathe just like humans and other mammals, they have a much slower metabolism, which means they do not need as much oxygen as we do. This explains how those spiders you caught as a child managed to survive in tiny jars with no breathing holes.

Read more: How Do Spiders Breathe? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4567439_spiders-breathe.html#ixzz28cj1Hygl

Define monstrous?

In the movie, a single camel spider could leap on a man and take him down and kill him in a very short time. I thought it a bit weird that any bug about the size of a cat could so easily take a man out. But I would consider that to be monstrous.:D

Theraphosa_blondi_1.jpg

Monstrous spiders are thought to exist by villagers in south america.
Oh wait, are we talking about the 'chicken-killing spiders' that are supposed to live near some village somewhere in South America?
I saw a piece on that on Discovery or NGC once. They pretty much debunked it.

Let's ponder there is some spider, a little lager than a volleyball.
Hey, are you Dutch?

In the movie, a single camel spider could leap on a man and take him down and kill him in a very short time. I thought it a bit weird that any bug about the size of a cat could so easily take a man out. But I would consider that to be monstrous.:D
Ever seen "Aliens"?

facehugger1.jpg

;)

Hmm, I count eight legs...

The largest camel spiders have a leg span of about 5 to 6 inches and weigh up to 2 oz. that would be a pretty small cat.

edited to add: They're bit is not poisonous either.

The largest camel spiders have a leg span of about 5 to 6 inches and weigh up to 2 oz. that would be a pretty small cat.

edited to add: They're bit is not poisonous either.

You know spider movies are almost as popular as shark movies.:D

Define monstrous?
http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/monstrous
mon·strous ** (mnstrs) KEY*

ADJECTIVE:
Shockingly hideous or frightful.
Exceptionally large; enormous: a monstrous tidal wave.
Deviating greatly from the norm in appearance or structure; abnormal.
Of or resembling a fabulous monster.
ETYMOLOGY:
Middle English, from Old French monstruos, from Latin mnstrusus, from mnstrum, portent, monster ; see monster

OTHER FORMS:
monstrous·ly(Adverb), monstrous·ness(Noun)

Oh wait, are we talking about the 'chicken-killing spiders' that are supposed to live near some village somewhere in South America?
I saw a piece on that on Discovery or NGC once. They pretty much debunked it.

Hey, are you Dutch?

Ever seen "Aliens"?

:D

Hmm, I count eight legs...[/QUOTE]

I have not seen that "piece". I am NOT Dutch. I just misspelled the word large. And its been a long time since I have seen aliens the movie.

Back