Modern rise in diabetesII/IR-Non-Genetic?

Kumar

Registered Senior Member
Hello,

We can notice that there is considerable rise in diabetes cases in current times esp. typeII & Insulin resistence cases. It has been indicated that the responsible cause for this rise is modern lifestyle not genetic. I mean that people are usually genetically predisposed but gets this epidemic type outbreak due to modern lifestyle or environmental factors not by furthur damages in genes. It has also been indicated that if we correct this modern lifestyle/environment--we may correct this rise in diabetes also. Is it ok?

Best wishes.

Btw, if typeI is fully genetic?

Are some mutations possible in gemete(sperm) during its transport to fertilization site by vagina pH etc.?

I have no idea if the mutations you are talking about are possible. But I see no reason to look for any explanation beyond the conventional one.

People are increasingly sedentary, and the diet in the U.S. is increasingly rich in simple carbohydrates. Sure, we have the Atkins fad right now, but it will pass.
Coca Cola used to come in 6 oz bottles. That was replaced by 16 oz bottles, and 12 oz cans. Now the only bottle you can buy in the store is a 20 oz one. I'm not talking about the large multi serving bottles, just the single serve ones.
I have no problem polishing off 20 ounces of Coke, but I would have stuck with the 16 oz if it were still available. I don't know if consumer demand drove this, or marketing strategy. But the last thing most of us fat ass Americans needs is another 4 oz of sucrose laden tooth dissolver (even though it is good).

So four more ounces of Coke here, some Little Debbie snack cakes there, drive everywhere, play video games (hey, lets skateboard on the Xbox instead of in real life), and you have the makings of a plague of diabetes.

I've seen programs about Native Americans, especially the southwestern ones, where Type 2 diabetes is close to 90% on some reservations. They have a very conservative metabolism compared to us Europeans (which I'm certain helped them survive times of famine), and they have adopted the worst of the fast food/prepared food diet for the most part.

Better diet and exercise programs have been very helpful to reduce the health consequences.

Ultimate answer? I don't know. People choose what they want to eat, and they choose whether or not to exercise. Maybe we can genetically engineer foods that are as pleasing to the palate as our present fast foods are, while still being healthy.

"I'm trying to eat healthier, eat more complex carbohydrates. But not too complex. I don't want my cereal to snap, crackle, and agonize over the meaning of existence."- Emo Phillips

Last edited:
Repo Man,

It is ok but how modern diet & lifestyle causes rise in diabetes? Are all these foods are pH lowering or acid forming types?

By mentioning more on pH, I think I am altering pH here.:) Higher sugar,Insulin secretion, Digestive pH...can all have some relations. We have lactic acidosis, Ketoacidosis & Uremia acidosis..al related to BS & pH.

Diabetes is directly dependent on blood sugar and insulin. Indirect effects are irrelevant. Concentrate on blood sugar and insulin!

John. ok.

Programming of Noninsulin-Dependent Diabetes
Insulin has a central role in fetal growth, and disorders of glucose and insulin metabolism are therefore an obvious possible link between early growth and cardiovascular disease (13). Although obesity and a sedentary lifestyle are important in the development of noninsulin-dependent diabetes, they seem to lead to the disease only in predisposed individuals. Family and twin studies have suggested familial predisposition, but the nature of this predisposition is unknown. The disease tends to be transmitted through the maternal rather than paternal side of the family (84).http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/2000/suppl-3/545-553osmond/osmond-full.html
Does it mean rise in current diabetic cases is due to predisposition of babies by aquiring some imbalances/defects during pregnancy? If so, I think these defects will be of non-genetic nature.

U mean non-hereditary. it is possible that the expression of insulin genes may be turned on or off during pregnancy. This is still genetic in nature though!

John Connellan said:
U mean non-hereditary. it is possible that the expression of insulin genes may be turned on or off during pregnancy. This is still genetic in nature though!
Interesting, I mean 'modern rise' not traditional type or type1. Still maternal side or her env.factors are more responsible to this 'modern rise'.

Sad that Type II, which used to be called "adult-onset" diabetes, is now becoming more and more prevalant in children as young as preteen. So much so that it's not even called "adult-onset." The obesity epidemic in this country is causing people far too young to have even been considered to have Type II to be developing it.

I actually had a friend/coworker who was a bit overweight. Ate crap at every meal. Sodas, danishes, anything and everything that could be considered bad for you. Never exercised. He started to show some of the external symptoms that "could" be signs of diabetes mellitus: frequent urination, constant thirst, cravings for sweets, fatigue etc. He was going to the doctor for a regular checkup and I mentioned that he might want to have the doctor check him for diabetes. He came in the next day and he said his doctor didn't bother with the diabetes check, even scoffing at the idea. "You're too young (he was 30 or so at the time) to have diabetes. That's an old person's disease. Don't worry about it." Amazing the ignorance some doctors can have.

Kumar,

Your obsession with pH is mind boggling, I think it must be a new mental disorder: pH-phile

John Connellan said:
So he never found out if it was diabetes?

Dunno. He quit that job not long after. Never really talked with him that much afterward. Since his doc didn't seem too concerned with it, neither was he.

Well then he's probably ok. Might have elevated blood sugars (which cause damage in the long term) but doesn't mean he has diabetes.

WellCookedFetus said:
Kumar,

Your obsession with pH is mind boggling, I think it must be a new mental disorder: pH-phile
I consider it as an environmental factor, a systematic or constitutional factor. Any how since we are becoming more acidic, I may better avoid it.

Kumar,

temperature is also a environmental factor, a slight change in body temperature could have huge effects on protein function and enzymes, just like a slight change in pH. Why don’t you focus on temperature then? It could be the answer to all your hypothesises! When you get older your average body tempature drops, so we are all getting colder.

WellCookedFetus said:
Kumar,

:rolleyes: It's funny, isn't it? It's the sure sign of a crackpot - every conceivable topic gets twisted and contorted to conform to, or at least include, their pet crackpot theory.<P>

Back