Miss Landmine Amputee Beauty Pageant

How are you offering money to the women of the pageant Roman? The money is already delievered by donors such as the EU. All you really get is the spectacle.

But if you are only moved to give because you see them hobbling around in their bathing suits, if this is what draws your pity...well...its pretty perverse.

Last edited:
Just when I thought people couldn't get any sicker. I like bad taste and black humour but there is a point when it's wrong. That point tends to come when genocidal dictatorships end only to be relived through "themed restaurants" or losing a limb due to a dictator mining your country to hell only but it's ok as kind organisations will help you regain your dignity and lessen the impact and so on by giving you a prosthetic, but first you have to compete in their freakshow to win the chance.

Creeptology: ...but first you have to compete in their freakshow to win the chance.

Hahaha! Yes, its ironic isn't it? The [promoters truly believe they are doing a 'good' thing, something that makes them feel good because they are 'helping'. Its bizarre, perverse and bloody irritating since the problems they are trying to address are so dismally real.

It is ironic. I can't imagine what they were thinking. Maybe something like "we know amputees feel they are not beautiful anymore so lets help them feel beautiful again by hold a beauty pageant", or maybe just "these people are desperate and poor lets have a laugh at their expense, generate a load of media attention and make ourselves look like such kind benefactors".

I really wouldn't like to guess, maybe it was thought up through genuine wish to help, but what happened to reason in this process. If it was well intentioned did no-one actually thing to say wait a minute, beauty pageant? Isn't that inappropriate here.

They could have given them the limbs for doing something related to landmine clearance. I don't mean make them deactivate landmines and whoever gets the most wins a leg kind of thing. I mean awareness raising campaign and giving limbs to those involved. Awareness campaign makes more sense than beauty pageant and I thought it up in a few seconds on my own (the organisers prob had a highly paid team that thinks these things up for a living to dream that stuff up).

I don't think they are that insidious. They do believe they are helping the victims of landmines feel more beautiful. In Cambodian society disfigured people are looked down upon but I doubt parading them on stage will change that.

" I mean awareness raising campaign and giving limbs to those involved. Awareness campaign makes more sense than beauty pageant and I thought it up in a few seconds on my own"

Yea and its a good idea. Thing is they want people in the West to be aware, folks in these countries already know UXO's suck. But think of who the pageant excludes, children, the elderly, males...and the unattractive.

Back