Methods to improve humanity.

YOU MONSTER!!!!!!!!!NOW YOU WANT TO CREATE DESIGNER BABIES?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WHATS WRONG WITH YOU, WE ARE OKAY AS WE ARE NOW. IF YOU WANTED TO CREATE A RACE OF SUPERHUMANS, THEY WUD SUBJIGATE ALL NORMAL HUMANS!!!!!!!1

Whats with all the capitals?

Anyway, I think you over estimate just what we can do at the moment. Do you have anything against this other than you are scared we will create something that is better than you? Because its called evolution and its happening all the time. Get used to it.

with your bellief in evolution, evolution u say takes a loooooooooooooooonnnnnnngggggg time. a couple of thousand years to several million. so it would be unnatural to creat a superior race wouldnt it be?

let the human race go at it's own course. why play god?

Oh the irony, to use evolution as an argument to approve of genetic engineering or eugenics. The grand scheme of improving mankind!!!

Evolution of course does not strive to improve anything or to progress. It is a process that is based on the need to be adapted to a certain environment. We are quite well adapted to our current environment. Hence we do not have to progress. And we certainly do not need excuses such as that it is a natural process.

Just state the real reason, whatever it might be, but don't drag evolution in to it.

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
Evolution of course does not strive to improve anything or to progress.
It seems to.
Is it a coincidence that it makes things better at certain things?
I would think that(one example of many) the lions lifecycle/breeding habits seem to be aimed at improving the fighting ability of the species as a whole(for whatever reason).
The only way a male will ever breed is if he beats up another male and steals his family.
The male defending his position as head of a family will not get any help from his females because if the other lion(or lions) has(have) the ability to beat their "husband" they would prefer to mate with them anyway.
If the intruder wins he will kill the former dominant males cubs. Almost as though its because that male wasn't good enough at fighting to have children.
So a lion will only pass on his genes if he is a really good fighter and his children will only grow up and be given the opportunity to breed if he can defend his title for a fair while.
I'm sure you know all this.
But how isn't that evolution trying to improve?

Try and be patient with my sorry ass;)

you are right that in the sense that evolution is a random process and so what might be seen as set backs may occur. But only the changes that can take advantage of some new opportunity will survive in the long run. At the moment it would seem that the evolution of the human has been based on improved intelligence and the opportunities this brings. In this way evolution is seen as progress. When stupidity is favourable we will no doubt evolve in the other direction, that or go extinct.

Back