medical ethics: cure vs. treatment given capitalism.

What you are missing is that the tobacco companies disputed the Surgeon General's conclusions. For various periods of time over the next thirty years the tobacco companies either denied that smoking and tobacco caused or contributed emphysema, heart disease, low birth weight, lung, breast, nasal, esophageal, mouth, and stomach cancer, or argued that the claim was unproven. They also denied that nicotine was addictive or that they manipulated the nicotine content of their products.

I am not claiming that the tobacco companies did not try to cover up the findings or deny said findings, my point is conclusive results were published and publicly broadcast in the 60's. Many people would rather find a company libel or someone to blame for remaining ignorant and ignoring the warnings and labels attached to packaging of all OTC, prescription pharmaceuticals, cigarettes, alcohol, etc.

A medical company does what is in its best interest as long as it's free to do so. This is its mandate. It's "for-profit" which I believe it should be.

Of illnesses that could be potentially "cured", what is the motivation for a medical corporation to do so? It's obvious that a treatment plan is much more profitable to the corporation than curing anything.

This dilemma really confounds me. I can't figure an optimal way out of that predicament. The real problem is that as such, research dollars can't be really put towards "cures" even though they're all billed as such. Man this just puts my brain in a pickle.

Ultimately, if all were responsible consumers and there was no insurance, or only major medical... perhaps cures will be demanded once past some random point in technology.

I'm sorry, I really should look up some information about how many diseases have been cured in the last 60 years and stuff before I talk about this. Yeah pardon. I'll try to remember to do that.

I still don't think the motivation is there for curing anything, and I'm not exactly sure how to set up a system to provide it.

Someone school me fo reel.
Not hypothetical. Think of how long the medical establishment resisted nutritional factors and prevention.

Back