Mass in daughter's leg

Not to scare you, but the "hard stuff" never turns out to be something good. Good thing you're catching it now.

Not true, I had a hard keratoma in my elbow crease that was removed by local anesthesia. I admit it's the first time I felt queasy seeing a surgery

Not true, I had a hard keratoma in my elbow crease that was removed by local anesthesia. I admit it's the first time I felt queasy seeing a surgery

A rock under the skin doesn't sound like a keratoma. We'll see what the diagnosis ultimately reveals; however, it sounds cancerous to me.

Its quite red, like a giant blood blister or a strawberry birthmark.
It only hurts her if its pushed on. Its close to the surface. It has grown since she first noticed it.
I figure if its was cancer, it would hurt her and there would be symptoms.

what's a kertatoma?
Keratin is the protein from which skin hair and nails are made. A keratoma is also called a callus. Except that it can also be on the inside surface. Mine was like a hard bead that raised a bump. A lipoma is made of solid lipid, calcified bone is also not uncommon and feels like a hard bump; sometimes caused by taking too much calcium

Its quite red, like a giant blood blister or a strawberry birthmark.
It only hurts her if its pushed on. Its close to the surface. It has grown since she first noticed it.
I figure if its was cancer, it would hurt her and there would be symptoms.

This is sounding very different. Is it inflamed? Hot to the touch?

She will probably be ok. Surely if it was cancerous it would grow really fast and draw her bloodstream to it so she would be all thin and lethargic and stuff?

Orleander, this might be of help:

"As you can imagine, the only way to be sure what kind of lump you have is to have it in front of you and examine it properly.

Nonetheless, I can tell you most skin or subcutaneous (fatty tissue under the skin) lumps are benign. Most common subcutaneous tumors are lipomas and epidermoid or sebaceous cyst.

Lipomas are benign fatty tumors, probably the most common ones in the entire body, and are more frequent in women.

A sebaseous cyst is a closed sac found just under the skin containing grayish-white, pasty or cheesy-looking skin secretions; most often arise from swollen hair follicles, but also skin trauma can induce a cyst to form.

Benign tumors are usually slow growing, painless, and freely movable lumps beneath the skin.

You have to see your doctor if the lump gets hard, is fixed, grows fast or hurts."
http://www.doctorslounge.com/oncology/forums/backup/topic-9312.html

Follow the link to see the question.

I have no clue if that's fast.. it's not slow though, I think.
Anyway, it's a good thing you guys caught it.

We wouldn't have caught it if she hadn't fell down the bus stairs and hurting herself so badly that she needed stitches.

Otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it til summer when she put on a swimsuit.

We wouldn't have caught it if she hadn't fell down the bus stairs and hurting herself so badly that she needed stitches.

Otherwise I wouldn't have noticed it til summer when she put on a swimsuit.

But she knew it was there the whole time though, right ? Maybe you should have a talk with her after this is over.

But she knew it was there the whole time though, right ? Maybe you should have a talk with her after this is over.

Oh yeah, she knew. All this time I thought she was getting more self-conscious because of boobs and pubic hair. Nope, it was that bump. :wallbang: Her friends knew because when they have sleep overs she changes in front of them.

It sounds like your doctor should have been able to answer these questions for you. "What specifically are you worried this might be, what might it be that would be non-dangerous, and what would you estimate as the probability that it's something dangerous?" are all perfectly legitimate questions for a doctor to answer.

It sounds like your doctor should have been able to answer these questions for you. "What specifically are you worried this might be, what might it be that would be non-dangerous, and what would you estimate as the probability that it's something dangerous?" are all perfectly legitimate questions for a doctor to answer.

We were told to wait for the biopsy.

Back