Martial Arts

Distortion:
Let me apologise for the assumption that you were a long time exponent of the arts. Hopefully your enthusiasm will not wane and you'll like it enough to keep going.

I won't go on any more about other fighting forms, and yes I do think that Hapkido is a good form.

Just one other thing, when you say:
HKD is known as the 'Complete art of Self-Defense' - that's why things like hand guns are included.
This sounds just a little too much like Bruce Lee. Many self defense classes will teach you methods for disarming guns, knives etc. Hell I used to teach a women's self defense class at Ottawa University and at the local police academy that included these things.

Tyler:
However, if someone (such as myself!) takes multiple forms of martial art (kung-fu, tae-kwon-do, ju jitsu) they will be much more of a rounded fighter than any wrestler.
I don't agree with what The Chosen crapped on about but I wouldn't necessarily say that, yes you may know more and have the potential to defend yourself better but if a wrestler worth his salt actually got to you, you may think twice about that comment.

Gifted: The Lin Kuei or Chinese ninjas were basically the same as Japanese ninjas but they operated in China. I think they even came from Japan. Anyway, try playing some Mortal Kombat or something like that, I think they use the Lin Kuei.

Just a thought, what does everyone think of Judo, not much has been said about it.

Hi all ...

Started with Judo back in '52 at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center.
One of my classmates, Black belt, wanted to keep in practice and offered
to teach a few of us the basics.

Point of information: don't learn Judo, especially the basics, in a boxing
ring (that canvas is rough on the bod :D )

Switched to Jujitsu for professional reasons in '58.

Might want to check out:

http://www.budoseek.net/vbulletin/index.php

In my opinion, one of the better Martial Arts forums on the net.

Take care ;)

Last edited:
Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

Geh! there's a verry intresting article on that site thank you chagur!

I started martial arts a long time ago, since I was 14 I praticed 6 years of Kendô with my father, who was a master and my sensei (I'm lucky) then I tried to discover some other Martial Arts and sports, but neither of them (karate, thaiboxing, amongst others) could satisfy my eegerness into 'knowing' and 'feeling' and 'practicing' all together,...untill:

I came across a person who was speaking of this art as ninjutsu, I was intressted and decided to train a couple of times with the group.

I never left the Bujinkan after that time and I will practise this Art until I die,....
It has enriched my life in various ways and I am verry content about the skills that I practise, and by the way: it has saved my life a couple of times, (in the sense of reaction time and making the right choises).

Thx
fukushi

Fukushi ...

You're more than welcome.

I can understand how you feel even though
Tai Chi is more my style these days :D

Take care.

i dont need to practice karate for years & years, and i can already kick a black belts ass. i practice .40 cal. glock.

Any of the styles of Martil Arts are able to defend yourself in a streetfight, but they are ineffective if you don't really work for the ranks. The karate place where i go doesn't do belts unrtil black, and you can't even think about getting a black belt until you are at least 18.

My teacher studied in Italy and they have some hard ass training there, and he is pretty tough on us. We always fight at the end of class, and we have never used pads. The only time i used pads was when i went to this weak ass tournement. The people there were like little girls, and i got kicked out for being "too agressive" and all i did was a snapkick to the stomach. It was REALLY gay, they were scoring like if someone tapped you on the head they got a point.

There are many places that only want to sell belts. So if you you are looking for a place to train, be sure to really look for something that you want.

Also, i wrestle for the highschool team, and we're #1 in the state, so we parctice really hard.

To truly be able to defend yourself, you need a mix. Mostly you need concentration, abd determination!

we had a lot of fun at one karate tournament once- those karate guys are used that after a successful hit they stop and judges write down the hit LOL

well- what do you know- we don't do that in TKD.
anyways it was quite funny- they stop after a hit and we just go on. hahaha

they knew about it, but they are so much USED to stop after a good hit that they can not overcome it. LOL

anyways- I'm looking now for some place to add Ju Jitsu to my TKD, but can't find it...:(
Latvia is small:(
not many good places to learn

I think I could find a place to learn Sambo though:)

The karate place where i go doesn't do belts unrtil black, and you can't even think about getting a black belt until you are at least 18
Sounds like a good school. Yes anything but a black belt means nothing, zero, zip. There is no such thing as a white, blue, green, yellow, or brown belt. These were made up by Western society to make CASH full stop. Actually traditionally a Black belt means you are ready to begin the real Martial arts training.

If you are being awarded coloured belts for Kung Fu classes, then get out quick because thats definitely a no no.

well- what do you know- we don't do that in TKD.
anyways it was quite funny- they stop after a hit and we just go on. hahaha

they knew about it, but they are so much USED to stop after a good hit that they can not overcome it.
Actually thats pretty poor sportsmanship.

Chagur: Reason I mentioned Judo is that I've been to about 5 or 6 free for all tournaments where all styles entered and in most cases, Judo exponents win. Interesting eh.

bad sportsmanship?

not all did that- and besides- what would you do in a street fight- stop too?

archwriter ...

Not surprised in the least. A bit different head-set.

"When the enemy comes, welcome him;
when he goes, send him on his way."

- Jigoro Kano -

Although sometimes referred to as 'the gentle way', if you're into
combat Judo, it is anything but 'gentle' :D

It was for that reason that I decided to get into Jujitsu with it's
emphasis on 'redirection' and throws. A lot easier to justify my
actions regarding an aggressive inmate. Always gave me a bit
of a chuckle when an inmate attempted to accuse a 5'8", 152 lb.
Officer of 'violence'.

Take care.

street fight versus competition

There's indeed a world of difference between them,...
The ones who have been in couple of street fights know what you mean archwriter!

I know that there's a difference (tested lol)- but I can't allow myself to stop

And they shouldn't also
That way I' m only decreasing my skills

Of course I stopped if I saw that he just standed and did nothing, but you can not always tell that
you know well what I mean, especially if he stops in a middle of combo

anyway I want to ask- who was that idiot that thought that it is good idea in karate to stop after a successful hit?
They'd be meat on the street.

and myself also- many here say that TKD is for chickens

The stopping after a hit is a way of scoring points and preventing injury just like rules in most sports. Remember, tournament karate/TKD/judo/... whatever is a sport first, martial art second.

Being able to check your punch is also a SKILL to be learnt.

I know about controlling my hit/movement and you've got a big point there /totally right/- but it's just that- the tournament rules were that NO stopping after a hit.
I couldn't just stand still after smone had hit me, because I didn't know if he KNEW of the rules- some knew- some didn't.
It was a chaos- don't want to remember- the organisation was screwed.

Back