Man sues girlfriend over blogging their sexlife

Oh yeah, the Washingtonienne thing is old hat.

That girl is totally a whore, but she's got no qualms about it, so I say: more power to ya, girl.

Oh yeah, the Washingtonienne thing is old hat.

Debating religion is older, nevertheless 30% of Sciforums is like that.

Now this case has actuality and has implications, that can effect the life of a few members.

Imagine if Muslim's girlfriend starts to blog about their sexlife! :)

It's not clear from the link whether she actually named him in her blog. If she did name him, then she deserves whatever it is that's cumming to her.

As far as I can tell, and with the bit of legal knowledge that I have, the man can only sue her for slander. But "slander" means that she was lying about him, thus causing damage to his character. If what she was telling was the truth, he's gonna' have a helluva time proving slander!

What's odd here, I think, is that this was being told to billions of people rather than just a few. But how could that change the laws? What's the difference in whether she told two people, or told the whole world?

Methinks the guy ain't got a leg to stand on in the legal sense. And worse, I think, him taking this to court is opening him up to even more ridicule and noteriety ....is that what he wants?

Baron Max

It's not clear from the link whether she actually named him in her blog. If she did name him, then she deserves whatever it is that's cumming to her.

Huh? So what's she got coming to her?? I don't get your implication?

But look at it this way; If you went out with some guy, and your friends knew about it, knew the guy, and you told them later that he was a jerk, would you deserve what's coming to you? And what's the difference if you told the whole fuckin' world instead of just a few friends?

I keep reading your "...cumming" to her statement, and I wonder if you're trying to make some kind of a poor joke??

Baron Max

Huh? So what's she got coming to her?? I don't get your implication?

But look at it this way; If you went out with some guy, and your friends knew about it, knew the guy, and you told them later that he was a jerk, would you deserve what's coming to you? And what's the difference if you told the whole fuckin' world instead of just a few friends?

I keep reading your "...cumming" to her statement, and I wonder if you're trying to make some kind of a poor joke??

Baron Max

Either it's illegal, or everyone keeps blogs like this. which is it?

Either it's illegal, or everyone keeps blogs like this. which is it?
And people do keep blogs like this. People discuss their sexual behaviour and lives with others. Some do it on the net and others do not. Legislating what one can disclose about oneself if another individual is involved to such an extent will be almost impossible. Defamation issues might arise in a case such as this one, but if the individual is not named, taking legal action would ensure the identities of the parties involved would be disclosed. The article did not say if he was named in the blog, all it said was that he sought legal action. If he is named then he might have a chance, but otherwise, it would be impossible.

This particular individual found it offensive. I'm guessing because of his employment at the time and the fact it became so sordid. However why he would still want to proceed with the trial and rehash all of it is beyond me. Money might be a big motivating factor.

The article states he is currently a school teacher. Does he really want this back in the media and all the students and parents at his school knowing his sexual history with this particular woman? Strange.

And people do keep blogs like this. People discuss their sexual behaviour and lives with others. Some do it on the net and others do not. Legislating what one can disclose about oneself if another individual is involved to such an extent will be almost impossible. Defamation issues might arise in a case such as this one, but if the individual is not named, taking legal action would ensure the identities of the parties involved would be disclosed. The article did not say if he was named in the blog, all it said was that he sought legal action. If he is named then he might have a chance, but otherwise, it would be impossible.

This particular individual found it offensive. I'm guessing because of his employment at the time and the fact it became so sordid. However why he would still want to proceed with the trial and rehash all of it is beyond me. Money might be a big motivating factor.

The article states he is currently a school teacher. Does he really want this back in the media and all the students and parents at his school knowing his sexual history with this particular woman? Strange.

You know, you seem just like the type to keep a blog like this too, with some of the posts you've posted up here, and all the personal information you shared on this forum alone.

The point is, if these are the new rules to the game, it will create new problems and complications for all couples.

You know, you seem just like the type to keep a blog like this too, with some of the posts you've posted up here, and all the personal information you shared on this forum alone.

The point is, if these are the new rules to the game, it will create new problems and complications for all couples.
Personal information? I have never discussed my sex life. All anyone knows is that I'm married and have a child and another on the way. No one knows my real name, what I look like or anything else about me. So please define what kind of personal information you think I have disclosed that would make me identifiable or the type of person to even have a blog?

And I dislike blog sites. Hate them actually. I find them to be annoying and I think they are mostly for people who like to make public exhibitions of themselves and who want attention for whatever reason.

I agree with you however in that new rules need to be drawn up. However they would be impossible to police. Considering the amount of blog sites that exists in the US alone, if this case were to set such a precedence and the Government decided to legislate, it would be impossible to monitor and police. And where would it end? Would someone no longer be allowed to write down their personal thoughts or information about their sex lives in their personal written diaries in case someone ever came across it? How about talking amongst friends? Or on the telephone? Where would they draw the line?

Debating religion is older, nevertheless 30% of Sciforums is like that.

Now this case has actuality and has implications, that can effect the life of a few members.

Imagine if Muslim's girlfriend starts to blog about their sexlife! :)
Hah!

But notice how I stay away from the religion threads.

:clear throats: Bells—you fought as a young school girl over your hair, and then one good day you cut it all off. You have a French side to your family. And you—until recently, I suppose, because of the kid and all—practiced law, attorney I think it is, and that your husband has a hairy back.

Anyway, with this new media—including new scientific methods & practices—we're discovering a whole slew of new mores that our moral codes and laws have not been able to keep up with. I mean, juxtapose that alongside the bureaucratic red-tape of the Freedom of Information Act.

:clear throats: Bells—you fought as a young school girl over your hair, and then one good day you cut it all off. You have a French side to your family. And you—until recently, I suppose, because of the kid and all—practiced law, attorney I think it is, and that your husband has a hairy back.

He does? LOL!!

As to the rest, what's your point? Many girls have fought with and over their hair until one day they get it all chopped off. In fact, I don't know a single girl who didn't have long flowing hair until they couldn't take it anymore and cut it all off. It does not make me unique, it just makes me common. As to the French ancestry. So do a lot of other people. Again, common and not really something that will make me stand out or identifiable. As for my profession, what of it? It was my job. I did and do other things as well.

Again, in no way is it personal as this woman giving details of her sex life with her boyfriend in a blog. The information is about on par as what most people who see me for the first time would instantly know or come to realise within 5 minutes without my even having to disclose it, except maybe for my profession, but again, most people have one and most people say what it is when asked. Not exactly personal as such.

I don't believe I have ever mentioned my sex life, married life or life as a parent in any detail except to say that my son is like every other child his age and that I am married. Hmmmm yes.. Any information I may have given about myself only makes me as common as everyone else. Funny that huh?;)

Sad

I don't see the basis for a lawsuit. I mean, if we sued our sexual partners for embarrassing us ... oh, wait. We do, anyway. Blogging one's sex life is no different, in my opinion, than blogging about domestic violence or a web page I read a few years back by a European guy who simply kept a record of his insane girlfriend's behavior. It's scandalous, it's stupid, but really, all the guy is saying by suing his partner is, "I'm too stupid to pick my girlfriends better, and she needs to pay for my frustration."

Or else, I suppose, he could claim false advertising: "She told me she was modest, discreet, and trustworthy." My own former partner, for instance, liked to believe such things about herself, but she wasn't above telling people I beat her in order to cut off a night of c@ck-teasing a guy for drinks. Hey, libel's a tort, but I'm not going to sue her about it. At least not at this point: nobody who actually knows me would believe it, and some drunk, would-be adulterer she decides to give a ride home ... well, he stopped coming by to pitch his gardening services, but I don't care.

The point being that there's plenty of ways out for this guy, and they all start with not wringing his hands over how he imagines people perceive him as a result of his girlfriend. It's enough to wring one's hands over the things we do; letting petty, stupid, vicious people get to us in such a manner is just another way to spill our own misery onto others.

Hell, should my former partner sue me over some of the things I've written about her here (e.g. "the 18-hour diaper run")? It's true. It would seem to be embarrassing. I'll even go so far as to prove my point here: she's lousy in bed and prefers to just lay there without putting anything into it, can't perform even halfway-decent oral sex, and masturbation is a more fulfilling activity than screwing her ever was.

And she's welcome to try to sue me for saying so. But even she, as mind-bogglingly idiotic as she is capable of being, wouldn't waste the time.

I don't see the basis for a lawsuit.

libel, invasion of privacy, emotional damages,etc...

I mean, if we sued our sexual partners for embarrassing us ... oh, wait. We do, anyway.

What most people don't get in this thread is this:

20 years ago if you gossiped about your latest boyfriend, a few of your frinds knew about it. Maybe an office or a school. As much as it was embarassing, it still stayed in a small community.

Technology has improved. So today with your blog you can gossip about pther people's anything, and literally millions can read it. So the embarassing factor just grew exponentially.

Blogging one's sex life is no different, in my opinion, than blogging about domestic violence or a web page I read a few years back by a European guy who simply kept a record of his insane girlfriend's behavior.

So? It is still called privacy. Are you saying if i go out with a girl I should immediatelly ask her: let's say we end up in bed, do you plan to blog about it?

There was a similar website where girls could rate their dates and a guy successfully sued the website because of invasion of privacy.

Hey, libel's a tort, but I'm not going to sue her about it.

maybe you should. The other big difference is compared to 20 years ago, that back then people forgot about it eventually. But the internet and servers don't forget and any embarassment can stay there for decades and come back and bite you in the ass even when you forgot about it long time ago...

At least not at this point: nobody who actually knows me would believe it,

There is the famous analogy about the case of stolen coat. Let's say at a party your coat gets stolen. A few weeks later nobody will remember that you were actually the victim, just that you had something to do with a stolen coat... That's how rumors work...

Last edited:
Vastly farting

Syzygys said:

label, invasion of privacy, emotional damages,etc...

Is there libel involved? I missed that part, if so. But privacy is an interesting thing: she, too, has a proprietary right to consider actions she takes part in. If I smoke pot alone, I can expect that nobody but me can talk about it. But if I smoke pot with friends, who's to say it won't turn up somewhere? ("So this one time, I was smoking a bowl with Tiassa, and ....") There are hundreds of those kinds of moments that my friends and I might share with the world. Like the time we were on these little thumbtack-looking mushrooms at a Phish show, and I turned to a friend during the set break and said, "Let's do the old Whatchamacallit? commercial, and you do the 'what's right?' part, but do it in Scooby Doo's voice." Stupid as hell, I know, but we all fondly recall how hard we laughed after that. A good time was had by all. Or the "Funboy" (Simpsons reference) episode after a Roger Waters show. Or sunlight hits in the parking lot at the Gorge with a friend?

Sex, at least, is legal. And, really: if people are freaked out that someone likes to spank an ass during sex, they're prudes. Really. People need to get freaky sometimes, or else they end up warped. Phyllis Schlafly, for instance, would probably have us believe there's nothing perverse about her. I don't even want to think about it, anyway, but really. And she's friggin' screwy.

There was a similar website where girls could rate their dates and a guy successfully sued the website because of invasion of privacy.

I would have to read about the specific issues involved in order to respond. I'll see what I can find out, but I'm not promising anything.

maybe you should. The other big difference is compared to 20 years ago, that back then people forgot about it eventually. But the internet and servers don't forget and any embarassment can stay there for decades and come back and bite you in the ass even when you forgot about it long time ago...

And 20 years ago, the best way to get a controversial message through was ... well, I don't think the Unabomber had it right, but think about the difference. In 1987, there was no solid internet offering millions of web pages asserting and dishing everything under the sun. Hers is just one more voice in the crowd, and he can respond in kind if he sees fit. A lawsuit in this case might actually make people care and notice more than they would have otherwise. (I think that point has already come up in the topic, hasn't it?)

For me, though, the say-so of a drunk, adulterous gardener isn't enough to worry about.

True story: A little over ten years ago, my friend Jon was dating Charity (her stage name), who became a stripper at a local club. We got to know Joe, the manager, and Ron, the owner. After Jon and Charity broke up in a horrendous spectacle that involved the police (in Jon's defense), she badmouthed him all over the club. He beat her, raped her, cheated on her, &c. I recall there was even a story that he tried to pimp her. Outrageous. When we turned 21, we drank at a local pool hall called Sharky's, and when we wanted T&A we drove to Eugene, an hour away, to another club. One night, Joe came into Sharky's after finishing work at the T&A club. He was surprised to see us. That's right, you're legal now, &c., &c. He asked why we hadn't been down to the club yet, and Jon recalled Charity's trashing of his character. Joe scoffed and said, "It's Charity. Right. We believe her. Come on down and see us."

And thus resumed a happy relationship scarred only by our fears of what wasn't real.

Or another true story: A much-former girlfriend used to tell people--but only when it came up, and not as a malicious thing--that I didn't like going down on women. After that notion was corrected, it became that I didn't do it well. And that's fine with me. So I can't do her right. Oh, well. There are others who would spake otherwise. The only time it ever came up was when my recent former partner (see prior post) threw it in my face during an argument: "Even Corrie knows you suck in bed!" What? I was seventeen. I have long been aware that I sucked in bed at that point. Reminding me isn't going to hurt my feelings, and it's funny, dear, how you aren't complaining in the middle of orgasm. Whatever. It comes down to the individuals themselves: I know, and the people of consequence in my life know, that my former partner is nuts. Most people don't care about my assessment of my sexual prowess in high school. I can't see why I should waste any more time on it than to acknowledge, "It would seem easy to believe." If such talk can be of consequence in my life, it seems to me that it is the result of my own priorities.

And so it is with the lawsuit:

To win, Steinbuch will have to prove that the details of their sexual relationship were private and publishing them was highly offensive. Billips argues that Cutler never intended to make the blog public but, in the information age, data is easily copied and distributed beyond its intended audience.

If the case goes to trial, its outcome will be important both to bloggers and to people who chronicle their lives on social-networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook. Marc Rotenberg, director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, said he may teach the Washingtonienne case this spring during his class at Georgetown Law School.

"Anybody who wants to reveal their own private life has a right to do that. It's a different question when you reveal someone else's private life," he said, adding that simply calling something a diary doesn't make it one. "It's not sitting in a nice, leather-bound book under a pillow. It's online where a million people can find it."

Rotenberg asked, what if Cutler had secretly videotaped the encounters and sold the videos without Steinbuch's consent? There has to be a line somewhere, he said. SeattleTimes.com)

I think her defense is lame and stupid, at least according to Billips' point that Cutler never intended to make the blog public.

But really: twenty million dollars? And what is Rotenberg's point? That selling an unwitting performance for profit is analogous to publishing slice-of-life vignettes and reflections on a weblog? Did she even make money from this publication? The life you share with someone is theirs as much as yours. Perhaps it's in poor taste to publish something like this and not inform one's lover, but not everything of poor taste is subject to lawsuit.

Farting, for instance, is of generally poor taste, and lacking any chemical compound that causes me actual physical harm, I'm not going to sue someone for cutting a sulphurous biscuit in the elevator. Besides, I consider the fart a legitimate form of self-expression in some circumstances; I'm not going to set a precedent whereby such expression is subject to lawsuits.

It's a matter of whether one's personal sense of embarrassment is worth calling general principle into question. I would hope such examination would be for reasons vastly more important.

Last edited:
He does? LOL!!

As to the rest, what's your point? Many girls have fought with and over their hair until one day they get it all chopped off. In fact, I don't know a single girl who didn't have long flowing hair until they couldn't take it anymore and cut it all off. It does not make me unique, it just makes me common. As to the French ancestry. So do a lot of other people. Again, common and not really something that will make me stand out or identifiable. As for my profession, what of it? It was my job. I did and do other things as well.

Again, in no way is it personal as this woman giving details of her sex life with her boyfriend in a blog. The information is about on par as what most people who see me for the first time would instantly know or come to realise within 5 minutes without my even having to disclose it, except maybe for my profession, but again, most people have one and most people say what it is when asked. Not exactly personal as such.

I don't believe I have ever mentioned my sex life, married life or life as a parent in any detail except to say that my son is like every other child his age and that I am married. Hmmmm yes.. Any information I may have given about myself only makes me as common as everyone else. Funny that huh?;)
God Bells, I was just pulling your leg for having said earlier that "no one knows my real name, what I look like or anything else about me. But I'll admit that your posts do reflect your... training.

Back