Male Rape Experiment

Do you know a man who was raped by another man?

• I know a man personally who was raped by another man.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I know of a man who was raped by another man.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I know two or more men personally who were raped by other men.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I know of two or more men who were raped by other men.

• I've never known any men who were raped by men, but I have heard about it.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I don't know of any men at all who were raped by other men.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I am a man and I was raped by another man.

• I am a man who has been raped by other men, and I know of men who were raped by other men.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • i am a man who was raped by women (or more)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I know of a man who was raped by a women.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xevious

Truth Beyond Logic
Registered Senior Member
I am trying to find useful data on male rape. It is my hypothesis that male rape by other men is a major if not the biggest reason that homosexuality is such a taboo amoung men. I offer this for two reasons. First is that 50% of men are anti-gay, and in turn 50% of men who are raped were raped by men. By percentile it seems the two line up.

I think that what shapes those anti-gay feelings is when men who were raped by men admit what happened to them to their fellow males. I am not expecting to find data on wether or not anti-homosexual feelings result from this, considering the liberal nature of the majority of posters on this board... but I am wondering if you ever heard about men being raped by other men on a community basis... that is grapevine, from a friend, ect.

Originally posted by Xevious
First is that 50% of men are anti-gay, and in turn 50% of men who are raped were raped by men. By percentile it seems the two line up.
Where is your data or sources on this?

but first a poem from our sponsors

A Survivors Tale

A small child all on his own,
Sent miles away and put in a home,
Your better off the man in charge said,
Now get upstairs and make your bed.
I remember small faces all looking scared,
Most cried themselves to sleep,
But nobody heard.
Come visiting days some kids were glad,
But like me, most were jealous,
Cos there was no sign of our mam & dad.
Looking back we were like sitting ducks,
Especially the boys with the girlish looks.
We were made to believe,
We were his special boys.
Given extra money and of course extra toys,
He didn't need to use force,
It was all part of a plan.
What chance of lonely scared kids got,
Against an evil cunning man.
You may ask why didn't we grass the bastard,
Why didn't we point the blame,
But who would have believed us,
And who could handle the shame.
We just got on with it and got through each day,
We made ourselves small and kept out the way.
The years have flown by and now I'm a man,
But I'm a survivor and proud that I am,
I've picked up the pieces and now love life,
Proud of my two sons and my understanding wife,
I now face the world,
With a smile on my face.
Because I've now put behind me,
What happened in that lonely horrible place?

Kevin - (a Survivor)

tidbits

Studies of male college students have found prevalence rates from 4.8% to 28%. At the lower extreme of 4.8% is a study by Fritz, Stoll and Wagner (1981) in which 412 students responded to a self-report questionnaire that required them to label their experiences as "abusive"--a method guaranteed to cause under-reporting (see discussion in section above). Risin and Koss (1987) obtained a rate of 7.3% in a national sample of 2,972 male college students. They used eight self-report behavioral descriptions about sexual behaviors before age 14. As pure behavioral descriptions, none of the items included the word "abuse." Finkelhor (1979) used a similar list of behavioral self-report items in a study of 266 college students and found an 8.3% prevalence rate; he included non-contact experiences and used specific age criteria (if under 14 there had to be a 5 year age difference with the perpetrator, if 14-15, a 10 year difference).

Higher prevalence rates of 20% and 24% came from Fromuth and Burkhart's (1987) study of students in two separate schools. They compared the effect of different definitions of sexual abuse on prevalence rates. However, their questionnaire utilized a gate question. The highest rates of 20% and 24% came from the most inclusive definition: the same as Finkelhor's 1979 study (including non-contact and age differential criteria), but with the addition that sexual contact between peers involving force or threat was categorized as abuse.

Studies with community samples have ranged in their prevalence rates from 2.8% to 16%. Again, methodology has been crucial. Kercher and McShane (1984) mailed a single self-report question including the word "abuse" to a random sample of Texas drivers. They found a prevalence rate of 3%. Given the wording of their single question, this rate is not surprising.

Two random-sample telephone interview studies by Murphy (1987, 1989, cited in Urquiza & Keating, 1990) also demonstrate the profound effects of single questions including the word "abuse" rather than instruments with multiple behavioral descriptions. In one of the studies (1987) the former method was employed, and it produced a rate of 2.8% with a sample of 357; in the other study (1989) the latter method yielded a prevalence rate of 11% with a sample of 777.

Bagley, Wood and Young (1994) conducted a community study of men aged 18 to 27 in the Canadian city of Calgary. They first contacted subjects by phone, then administered anonymous questionnaires in their homes via programs on portable computers. Their questionnaire asked about "unwanted" experiences before the age of 17. This wording is likely to result in under-reporting because people who have been sexually abused, but especially males, are sometimes convinced that they wanted and were responsible for the sexual contact. Bagley and his colleagues found a prevalence rate of 15.5%, and that 6.9% of their subjects had experienced multiple episodes of sexual abuse. Interestingly, this rate for multiple episodes was identical to that found for women in a previous study that employed the same methodology, despite the fact that the prevalence rate for any unwanted sexual experiences in that study was 32%, or double that found for males (Bagley, 1991).

The highest community-sample prevalence rate of 16% was found in a random telephone survey of 2,626 men, known as the "L.A. Times survey" (Finkelhor, 1990). However, these findings are very difficult to interpret, since the wording of the questions would be expected to produce contradictory effects: each question used the word "abuse," but ended with the phrase, "or anything like that?"

Studies with clinical samples have obtained prevalence rates from 3% to 23%. The lowest rate was reported from a study that used psychological records of 954 male and female patients of a large regional medical center (Belkin, Greene, Rodrique, & Boggs, 1994). In a chart review of emergency room records of a Buffalo, New York hospital, Ellerstein and Canavan (1980) found an 11% prevalence rate. DeJong and colleagues (DeJong, Emmett, & Hervada, 1982) reviewed several clinical studies and found rates from 11% to 17%, and in their own hospital population found a rate of just under 14% (1982). Metcalfe and his associates (1990) found a prevalence of 23% in their survey of 100 male psychiatric inpatients.

However, it is important to note here that assessment for sexual abuse histories in hospitals has traditionally been extremely poor, and remains so in many settings. Thus these rates, based on reviews of records, are likely to be vast underestimates. For example, Briere and Zaidi (1989) reviewed intake reports on women presenting to an urban psychiatric emergency room. They randomly reviewed 50 charts before and 50 after the intake staff were instructed to question clients about previous sexual victimization. The first 50 charts had recorded rates of 6%, and the second set, 70%.

one in six boys

ps: most incidences where the perp is female typically involves incest type abuse.

Lady, that is a very good insight to offer... it is true that kids often don't talk when they are molested... especially if it was mommy or daddy.

I was at a party in Queensland, way too drunk, laying immobile and helpless. A rather forward girl had her way with me. I really didn't mind so much.

** The prison system, a place were rape is common but ignored, could use changes to prevent some of the hell people endure within. In male prisons, in particular, spiritual and professional help is needed, exspecially, after being wife of the joint.

Asguard, rape by women is not the point of the poll. The question is wether or not the rape of MEN by MEN has anything to do with homophobia. The rape of women by men are irrelevant for the purposes of my idea.

Sounds like you are trying to muddy the waters here... but that is a very typical political tactic when you don't want to look at the picture.

Asguard has gone beyond just upset and lashing against fundamentalists and people he percieved as homophobes... he is now useing his power as a moderator in order to control the thoughts and flow of discussion in the form.

SciForums is doomed, because it now includes thought police.

xevious

save this page on your harddrive since asguard tend to delete posts critical of himself and take the matter directly to porfiry.
do not bother with the mods. there is no point setting of another round of arguments!

this is your thread. if you have not posted anything that violates the tos, editing should happen only with the express permission of the thread starter. you can make the poll as half assed as you want without unwarranted interference from management. i think this has been a blatant attempt to edit a post to reflect asguards own views.(if it is that important, why not start your own thread?)
i view this in the same light as clarens infraction that lead to his removal as a mod.

wake up and do the right thing!
please!

Asguard,

That change was absurd. You've missed the point of the poll. There was no need to interfere.

interesting! at what point is mod alterations of a thread justified? are there not rules governing moderator edits? are not mod edits utilised solely in order to bring the offending post into compliance with the tos?

where in this thread has there been a violation to justify an edit?
can a moderator insist that you include his thoughts in your post as has been done here?

asguard is clearly out of line here. i request his ouster and fresh elections be held for the moderator post. if we sciforumers elect our mods maybe there should be a mechanism thru which we can impeach them for abuse of power and dereliction of duty:D

Originally posted by Asguard

and dave carrys out the sentance cause he doesnt have the time to judge anymore

this is probably why asguard thinks he can act with impunity!

:D

note: the poll alteration was an arbitrary decision made by asguard without consulting xevious

Last edited:
well as i have had 2 members come to me who WERE raped (and i MEAN raped, not "but i didnt mind, RAPED") by women complaine about this thread what did you want me to do?????

you people dont get the complaints, i do

we have lost 3 members from this site that i know of because of lady and a few other peoples posting

one from the stupidity of the post/ threads here now

one because they were fed up with the pure bias

and the third for both

how many members do we want to lose?

I've always found the biggest source for peoples homophobic attitudes is their upbringing.

I spent a number of years counselling gay youth online. People who had been beaten up at school, orwhose families turned against them. Male rape was never a factor in any of that, it was the people's upbringing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back