Magical Realist - this is for you ;)

You can do it! We believe in you. :D
We might but I think sometimes MR has doubts

Recently he tried to log on and when he found he couldn't well........

What else could it be except he had vanished

You think if we all formed a Pentagram it might help his return?

:)

We might but I think sometimes MR has doubts

Recently he tried to log on and when he found he couldn't well........

What else could it be except he had vanished

You think if we all formed a Pentagram it might help his return?

:)
I don't think we should dismiss the idea that paranormal activity might exist. Of the videos I've seen which were supposed to be serving as ''evidence,'' they all seemed a bit hoaxey, though. (is that a word?)

I caught a few episodes last year of a show where celebs were being interviewed about paranormal experiences they'd had during childhood, and so on. Not sure what they'd have to gain by making it all up, and looking foolish. (considering how the general public scoffs at people who claim such things)

Last edited:
I don't think we should dismiss the idea that paranormal activity might exist. Of the videos I've seen which were supposed to be serving as ''evidence,'' they all seemed a bit hoaxey, though. (is that a word?)

I caught a few episodes last year of a show where celebs were being interviewed about paranormal experiences they'd had during childhood, and so on. Not sure what they'd have to gain by making it all up, and looking foolish. (considering how the general public scoffs at people who claim such things)
Superstition remains quite widespread. A lot of people seem to need some mystery in their lives and for some it comes from that sort of thing.

Superstition remains quite widespread. A lot of people seem to need some mystery in their lives and for some it comes from that sort of thing.
Valid point. MR and I were discussing this on another science forum, and I brought up the idea that it could also be that some people are more prone to fear, than others. They thrive on fear, and might apply a fear-based mentality when touring an alleged haunted prison, even if there is no evidence to support it. I asked the question if some would be afraid to tour a haunted hospital or prison, and the responses were overwhelmingly ''no,'' because they don't believe in ghosts. It was non-negotiable. lol

I feel a similar way. Things that today are described as paranormal likely exist - but that's because we don't fully understand them yet. Once we do, they will be no more mysterious than, say, tides or lightning.
I caught a few episodes last year of a show where celebs were being interviewed about paranormal experiences they'd had during childhood, and so on. Not sure what they'd have to gain by making it all up, and looking foolish.
More celebrity. Celebrities thrive on attention - and announcing they saw a ghost is good to get them on a few talk shows, which helps get their name out there (and thus land roles, get invited on more shows etc.)

I feel a similar way. Things that today are described as paranormal likely exist - but that's because we don't fully understand them yet. Once we do, they will be no more mysterious than, say, tides or lightning.
It's best that it remains a mystery, then. I like mysteries, even those that can't be solved. :)

More celebrity. Celebrities thrive on attention - and announcing they saw a ghost is good to get them on a few talk shows, which helps get their name out there (and thus land roles, get invited on more shows etc.)
I get that, but I'm surprised that their same peer group who often reject that a supernatural higher power may exist (Hollywood is mainly atheistic/agnostic), wouldn't also attach that same disbelief toward the paranormal. I've noticed though, that there are people who believe in paranormal activity, but vehemently oppose anything having to do with theism. Neither here nor there, just an observation.

It's best that it remains a mystery, then. I like mysteries, even those that can't be solved. :)

I get that, but I'm surprised that their same peer group who often reject that a supernatural higher power may exist (Hollywood is mainly atheistic/agnostic), wouldn't also attach that same disbelief toward the paranormal. I've noticed though, that there are people who believe in paranormal activity, but vehemently oppose anything having to do with theism. Neither here nor there, just an observation.
That would be because religious belief has little or nothing to do with explaining mysterious physical phenomena.

That's likely because theism is bunkum (you don't need a degree to realise that) but fear and ignorance** are real.

**in the non-pejorative sense,of course.

I get that, but I'm surprised that their same peer group who often reject that a supernatural higher power may exist (Hollywood is mainly atheistic/agnostic), wouldn't also attach that same disbelief toward the paranormal.
Again, I think it's more about the attention they get. If they say "I saw a ghost!" they get headlines; if they say "I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ" they don't.

That's likely because theism is bunkum (you don't need a degree to realise that) but fear and ignorance** are real.

**in the non-pejorative sense,of course.
Gotcha. But, many theists are driven by ignorance and fear, sadly.
Again, I think it's more about the attention they get. If they say "I saw a ghost!" they get headlines; if they say "I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ" they don't.
Good point, although it depends on the religion. Certain religions seem to be tolerated more than others by secularists. I ask the question more so because I've wondered if similar thought patterns emerge, whether someone is apt to believing in ghosts or gods. Either would offer subjective ''evidence'' of their existence, which the burden is on the ''believer.''

Last edited:
Certain religions seem to be tolerated more than others by secularists. I ask the question more so because I've wondered if similar thought patterns emerge, whether someone is apt to believing in ghosts or gods. Either would offer subjective ''evidence'' of their existence, which the burden is on the ''believer.''
Right. And note that even though it's more rare it still happens. Madonna announced her fascination with Kabbalah, Carrie Underwood and Kathie Lee Gifford are very vocal Christians, and of course John Travolta and Scientology. (although perhaps that's more science fiction than a religion.)

Back