Lynn McTaggart:The Field(I really need help from experts, here)

You asked for evidence. This is what i showed.

If you entangle the two together, then i have no problem. Information is apart of space and time. If you neglect either one of them, then you have problems. The vacuum is matter and energy, which is just a collection of information. If information is space amnd time, then matter and energy fall into the mix.

Now that's what I call evidence. Evidence that you are talking through you hat

Nothing to say, really. Many Physicists throughout history have made such compliments. A vacuum is only a substantial memory. That is all.

Nothing to say, really. Many Physicists throughout history have made such compliments. A vacuum is only a substantial memory. That is all.

I'm sorry, I read the article agin, and I didn't see any proof for anything. What I'm sure, yes the entire brain memorizes events, however the great trauma caused by physical damage can, if big enough, erase your memory.

Packed into the kilogram or so of neural wetware between the ears is everything we know: a compendium of useful and trivial facts about the world, the history of our lives, plus every skill we've ever learned, from riding a bike to persuading a loved one to take out the trash. Memories make each of us unique, and they give continuity to our lives. Understanding how memories are stored in the brain is an essential step toward understanding ourselves.

Neuroscientists have already made great strides, identifying key brain regions and potential molecular mechanisms. Still, many important questions remain unanswered, and a chasm gapes between the molecular and whole-brain research.

The birth of the modern era of memory research is often pegged to the publication, in 1957, of an account of the neurological patient H.M. At age 27, H.M. had large chunks of the temporal lobes of his brain surgically removed in a last-ditch effort to relieve chronic epilepsy. The surgery worked, but it left H.M. unable to remember anything that happened--or anyone he met--after his surgery. The case showed that the medial temporal lobes (MTL), which include the hippocampus, are crucial for making new memories. H.M.'s case also revealed, on closer examination, that memory is not a monolith: Given a tricky mirror drawing task, H.M.'s performance improved steadily over 3 days even though he had no memory of his previous practice. Remembering how is not the same as remembering what, as far as the brain is concerned.

Thanks to experiments on animals and the advent of human brain imaging, scientists now have a working knowledge of the various kinds of memory as well as which parts of the brain are involved in each. But persistent gaps remain. Although the MTL has indeed proved critical for declarative memory--the recollection of facts and events--the region remains something of a black box. How its various components interact during memory encoding and retrieval is unresolved. Moreover, the MTL is not the final repository of declarative memories. Such memories are apparently filed to the cerebral cortex for long-term storage, but how this happens, and how memories are represented in the cortex, remains unclear.

More than a century ago, the great Spanish neuro-anatomist Santiago Ramòn y Cajal proposed that making memories must require neurons to strengthen their connections with one another. Dogma at the time held that no new neurons are born in the adult brain, so Ramòn y Cajal made the reasonable assumption that the key changes must occur between existing neurons. Until recently, scientists had few clues about how this might happen.

Since the 1970s, however, work on isolated chunks of nervous-system tissue has identified a host of molecular players in memory formation. Many of the same molecules have been implicated in both declarative and nondeclarative memory and in species as varied as sea slugs, fruit flies, and rodents, suggesting that the molecular machinery for memory has been widely conserved. A key insight from this work has been that short-term memory (lasting minutes) involves chemical modifications that strengthen existing connections, called synapses, between neurons, whereas long-term memory (lasting days or weeks) requires protein synthesis and probably the construction of new synapses.

Tying this work to the whole-brain research is a major challenge. A potential bridge is a process called long-term potentiation (LTP), a type of synaptic strengthening that has been scrutinized in slices of rodent hippocampus and is widely considered a likely physiological basis for memory. A conclusive demonstration that LTP really does underlie memory formation in vivo would be a big breakthrough.

Meanwhile, more questions keep popping up. Recent studies have found that patterns of neural activity seen when an animal is learning a new task are replayed later during sleep. Could this play a role in solidifying memories? Other work shows that our memories are not as trustworthy as we generally assume. Why is memory so labile? A hint may come from recent studies that revive the controversial notion that memories are briefly vulnerable to manipulation each time they're recalled. Finally, the no-new-neurons dogma went down in flames in the 1990s, with the demonstration that the hippocampus, of all places, is a virtual neuron nursery throughout life. The extent to which these newborn cells support learning and memory remains to be seen.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/309/5731/92

Memory is not stored at an atomic level. Memories are the connections between neurons and when a neuron makes and then reinforces that connection with another neuron that is a memory.
Neurons connect to other neurons through dendrites you can see some pictures at the link below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurons

Also, holographic model can't be used for explanation of memory because we're dealing with holograms here.
Despite, there might be some linked parts, but still hologram doesn't have electromagnetic/electric fields- that's what make us different from holograms.
Holograms don't have electric fields. Brain does, actually you can imagine brain as electromagnetic field with memory inside, but if there was no electromagnetic field across the brain, we wouldn't be able pick up the information and memorize it at all.

Holograms don't have anything that would enable them to pick up information and store the memory.

Memory is still a poorly understood phenomenon, esp in the area of Long term memory. There are a number of processes that can help to explain short term memory, such as facilitation between synapses. But it remains for the most part a mystery. Part of this has to do with Penfields experiments at McGill where using a very small electric stimulus was able to provoke vivid memories in the patient. Yet a large lesion to the brain does not knock out memories of say 1975 to 1980. (drugs might), but leads usually to fuzzier recall across the boards; think of a holographic image here. The film can stand up to significant damage, and unlike a photo negative, you don't lose all of a piece of the image, more like a piece of all of the image.

http://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-162405.html

Yes... trauma can erase our ability to probe certain memory. I never said that the matter wasn't a function. It's more like a conduit in spacetime.

Yes... trauma can erase our ability to probe certain memory. I never said that the matter wasn't a function. It's more like a conduit in spacetime.

One needs to be a little careful interpreting all this.
Bohm believed that quantum mechanics was not complete. In other words, some of the aspects of quantum mechaincs was a sort of "ad hoc" addition to the theory. This was in the tradition of Einstein and Schrodinger, who also believed that, while quantum mechanics explained many, many phenomena, it was not an all-encompassing, complete theory, but a sort of "theoretical proof-of-concept". Einstein wrote many papers ingeniously trying to "trap" quantum mechanics into admitting it's shortfall, but Bohr always managed to find a way around Einstein's arguments. The Einstein-Bohr discussions make fascinating reading, by the way. However, in about 1935, Einstein, together with Podolski and Rosen, wrote the so-called, EPR paper and that was never satisfactorily explained away. EPR was (and still is!) the fly in the ointment of quantum mechanics!

In particular, the EPR paper showed that information about a state of matter could be transferred to a remote location in a "spooky action at a distance" (Einstein's words) manner. The EPR paper was purely theoretical, but later work by Bell showed that it may have practical consequences. Bell's Theorem gave a "test" as to whether this "spooky" action could occur or not. The consequence was, basically, that action-at-a-distance could occur (It's called "Quantum Teleportation" now) but at the expense of a precise arrow of time. You lose the ability to relate cause and effect. Bohm gave a mechanism whereby this could be "explained" without recourse to losing the arrow of time, by postulating "hidden variables". That is, the fundemental variables that determine the state of a particle existed through a (mathematical) wavefunction whose variables were at some sub-quantum level that we had not seen/accessed yet. This would not only satisfy Bell's criterion but also restore the arrow of time.

The "holographic" part of Bohm's work concerned the fact that the laws of the universe existed everywhere. In other words, every point in the space-time of the universe contained the entire set of laws of the entire universe. Bohm likened this to a hologram (not actually saying it was a hologram) in that, in a hologram, all the data of the image is captured in every location of the medium. However, this is true only for specific views. The hologram is a "virtual window" to the scene. Like any view through a real window. you can only see specific viewpoints of a scene.Only the information <i>at that perspective</i> is captured by the medium. Not <i>all</i> views. However, in the 60's and 70's this view that the hologram contains <i>all</i> information of a scene was promoted quite a bit and Bohm picked up on this as a metaphor for the universality of the laws of physics. That is, while specific laws may be local (temperature, for example), the universality of all laws (eg, heat will cause a rise in temperature anywhere in the universe) was universal. This particular viewpoint is becoming a literal reality nowadays.

However, it's not true that if you break a hologram, every little piece will contain the entire image, any more than if you cover up a window you'll see the entire scene as you could have done with no cover. The way to see this is to photograph a scene from, say, a foot or so from the window. Now make a hole in a black cloth and cover the window with it, so that only the scene through the hole is visible. Now take another photo. You'll see that most of the nearby scene is gone (the flower on the flowerbed right underneath the window for example), however, the more distant parts of the scene (the tree way off in the distance, for example) is still there. The distant tree subtends a smaller angle at your eye, and so is visible even through a small hole in the window. The nearby scene subtends a large angle at you eye, so anything covering the window will obliterate it. Same with a hologram. If you break it, any part of the image near the plate but off the center of the broken piece, will disappear. Any distant part of the scene a long ways behind the plate will be visible.

I'll answer this in more detail in good time. All i want to say, is that i share Bohms notions, and if anything, memory is a holographic entity... perhaps not physical... though - - well, not entirely. Sure, there seems to be a field of consciousness around matter and energy itself, but i feel there is something much more to it all.

I'll answer this in more detail in good time. All i want to say, is that i share Bohms notions, and if anything, memory is a holographic entity... perhaps not physical... though - - well, not entirely. Sure, there seems to be a field of consciousness around matter and energy itself, but i feel there is something much more to it all.

I simply can't think that you think memory can be holographic, than both of us are holograms and we're both illusional-we don't exist.
That's greatest stupidity-to tell myself that I don't exist, that I'm an illusion.
That's all for now, since I'm extremely busy.

Few more things before I go away.
You say that memory is a hologram. Now it's more like memory is stored in the group of neurons, the same ways information is stored inside the computer-in the computer memory is not stored in the form of hologram-holographic picture only shows the piece of information.
And I know everyone else disagree, but I'm 100% sure that information can be destroyed physically.
Let's suppose you have computer, there are lots of information stored inside the computer.
Let's suppose you physically destroy computer-simply melt it or explode it into millions of pieces. now are you saying that it's possible to restore all of the information that was inside the computer?
The reason why I think information is always conserved is because there is always a place in the universe where it can be stored, not because it's indestructible.
You can pick information in video-camera, radio-waves, EM fields and all that, but these are all mediums which store information.
Why don't they put information somewhere where there is no medium for storing information than we will see.
But the main problem is that this is totally impossible since everything in the universe has or made from EM fields, radiowaves etc..., it's always something and that's why information stays indestructible except in the case of computer or DVD or video-casette.

I really have to go.

Also, has anyone heard for William Tiller, whois a physicist (I bet, he is n alternative)-he supposedly proved that human intentions alter reality???

Here is a related book that works....

"The Master Key System" by Charles F. Haanel, they have a new book edited to reflect current language and analogies...

Back