Logical fallacy "Appeal to authority"

LG, your post was really a good one. I liked it.

One more time just so I am clear.

WHEN a Prophet attributes their information as having come directly from a God, this "Prophet" is relying on this Gods attributes to lend authority for said information?

Do you agree?

For example: If the King sends a messenger to relay a message - for example "Pay More Tax" then it's not the messenger who authority rests the command "Pay More Tax" but on the Kings'. Now, imagine there never was a King. Why would the messenger tell the people to do something like "Pay More Tax"? Could it be, oh, I don't know?.... Maybe the messenger wanted the money and power and just pretended there was a King? If we noticed the messenger was suddenly wealthy and in a powerful position over the common people, well then, anecdotally, I'd say yes - you damn well can bet that's the case!

M

LG, your post was really a good one. I liked it.

One more time just so I am clear.

WHEN a Prophet attributes their information as having come directly from a God, this "Prophet" is relying on this Gods attributes to lend authority for said information?

Do you agree?

For example: If the King sends a messenger to relay a message - for example "Pay More Tax" then it's not the messenger who authority rests the command "Pay More Tax" but on the Kings'. Now, imagine there never was a King. Why would the messenger tell the people to do something like "Pay More Tax"? Could it be, oh, I don't know?.... Maybe the messenger wanted the money and power and just pretended there was a King? If we noticed the messenger was suddenly wealthy and in a powerful position over the common people, well then, anecdotally, I'd say yes - you damn well can bet that's the case!

M
yes

however there are two aspects to investigating a theistic claim.

One is what is sometimes called "the transparency of the medium" (or investigating the state of the person making the claim) - kind of like a window is a transparent medium to the degree that it enables vision of the outside world (and isn't coated in grime or merely a sheet of glass over a brick wall). If one (on the inside) thinks they are looking at the outside world without the assistance of a transparent medium, actually they are looking at a wall. IOW you can go on and on about bogus prophets, but still it remains, in conditioned life we are helpless to approach transcendence unless we get the assistance of a transparent medium .... just like one can go on and on about bogus doctors, but when in a state of chronic sickness, better health demands that one receive their assistance.

The second issue is determining the validity of the claim, per se, (which is covered by Wilson's 3 points)

The thing is LG, there is no transcendence as in leaving phycial reality. Yes there may be different states of mind, but these are all based in the brain tissue. Any thoughts, experiences or ideas that who coalesced into opinions and have left the mouth of a so-called "Prophet" in the form of sounds, originated in the brain of said prophet.

Hence it should be that the prophet is appealing for you to listen to her or him because they thought up something interesting. Not for you to listen to her or him because a leprechaun them something interesting.

The thing is LG, there is no transcendence as in leaving phycial reality. Yes there may be different states of mind, but these are all based in the brain tissue. Any thoughts, experiences or ideas that who coalesced into opinions and have left the mouth of a so-called "Prophet" in the form of sounds, originated in the brain of said prophet.
Its hard to take your claim seriously since there is nowhere near the evidence for your claims about brain tissue and perception.

Hence it should be that the prophet is appealing for you to listen to her or him because they thought up something interesting. Not for you to listen to her or him because a leprechaun them something interesting.
I don't know if you read this thread but you are a #1'er branching out to become a #2'er
http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2171375&postcount=15

Last edited:
Its hard to take your claim seriously since there is nowhere near the evidence for your claims about brain tissue and perception.
It's absolutely irrefutable that the mind exists in brain tissue, possibly a 2 mm thin layer of the outer cortex.

LG, are you going to say the mind does not exist directly in brain tissue? :bugeye:

It's absolutely irrefutable that the mind exists in brain tissue, possibly a 2 mm thin layer of the outer cortex.

LG, are you going to say the mind does not exist directly in brain tissue? :bugeye:
problems arise when you claim it is the absolute origin of "ideas", ... and furthermore that, by necessity, defaults one to the position of negating transcendence.

IOW it is clear that you are talking about your ideas on where ideas come from as opposed to any empirical issue.

If you don't accept this I think you have to explain why it is that psychology still remains quite snugly within "soft science"

Assuming there is something I can call a mind, you agree said something comes from brain substance?

OK, I somewhat agree, but assuming the I in: "I think therefor I am" has meaning, would this "I" be derived ONLY and is a direct result of brain tissue?

OK, I somewhat agree, but assuming the I in: "I think therefor I am" has meaning, would this "I" be derived ONLY and is a direct result of brain tissue?
given that there is no way to approach the "I" you indicate with hard science, it's difficult to understand how you could argue that it is (in capital letters).

The problem is being tackled by hard science - many of the nerve tracks of the BRAIN MATTER that give rise to the self are being studied and better understood as we speak. Beginning in the 17th century up till the present, most people (and all neuroscientists) agree that yes the brain tissue gives rise to the self - illusionary or otherwise.

One would have to go back to the 1500s to find people who thought the self was generated by spirits that flowed through the ventricals. We now understand that this just isn't the case.

The problem is being tackled by hard science - many of the nerve tracks of the BRAIN MATTER that give rise to the self are being studied and better understood as we speak. Beginning in the 17th century up till the present, most people (and all neuroscientists) agree that yes the brain tissue gives rise to the self - illusionary or otherwise.

One would have to go back to the 1500s to find people who thought the self was generated by spirits that flowed through the ventricals. We now understand that this just isn't the case.
What can actually be determined by hard science is quite different from opinions about what hard science may accomplish in the future.

A brief investigation of the history of science clearly establishes this.

Science is becoming very sophisticated. Areas of the brain dedicated to empathy and compassion have been discovered. These probably make up part of the "self" thingy.

While the theory that hot spirits were inhaled, cooled by the brain and stored in the heart, - gaving rise to the individual was indeed prevalent for thousands of years, it's now understood that brain tissue alone does this.

Science is becoming very sophisticated. Areas of the brain dedicated to empathy and compassion have been discovered. These probably make up part of the "self" thingy.
regardless, what can actually be determined by hard science is quite different from opinions about what hard science may accomplish in the future.

While the theory that hot spirits were inhaled, cooled by the brain and stored in the heart, - gaving rise to the individual was indeed prevalent for thousands of years, it's now understood that brain tissue alone does this.
understood?
well certainly not in the peer reviewed classically empirical sense .....

Last edited:
Sorry about the grammar - thanks I'm always trying to improve :) Although I just typed into Google and got enough hits to make me think we need to have a discussion in Linguistics! :D

Yes, there is a possibility that they were mentally ill. BUT, I seriously doubt it. I just don't see the military discipline coming from someone THAT mentality ill (often hearing voices). Yes, I can see a person thinking that were appointed by God, Alexander is said to have thought himself of divine birth (Julius Caesar and Ghangus Khan as well), however these men didn't hear voices in their heads. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not putting Mohammad in their league, he united a couple of small arab tribes and then was snuffed out. But still, it seems more reasonable to assume he was a lier rather than mentally ill.

A simpler explanation would be he pretended (lied) to be doing a God's bidding as that was more likely to get people to do what he said. Thousands of TV evangelists use this method (lie) to motive people to give money everyday.

Of course, I made the assumption there was a Mohammad - more than likely he's a composite literary character and it was really his creators that lied for political purposes.

Joan of arc heard voices.

I brief examination of the history of using the Scientific method will show it to be far and wide superior to religious crack pottery when it comes to explaining reality.

understood?
well certainly not in the peer reviewed classically empirical sense .....
Oh really LG. Well, lets type into Pubmed and see just how many peer reviewed papers come up for brain: Pubmed gee over 1 million in the last few decades.

I think it's safe to say the overwhelming consensus is that brain tissue is the substance where the "self" arises - nothing more and nothing less.

I brief examination of the history of using the Scientific method will show it to be far and wide superior to religious crack pottery when it comes to explaining reality.
certainly not in the macrocosmic sense

Oh really LG. Well, lets type into Pubmed and see just how many peer reviewed papers come up for brain: Pubmed gee over 1 million in the last few decades.

I think it's safe to say the overwhelming consensus is that brain tissue is the substance where the "self" arises - nothing more and nothing less.
erm ... big difference between a peer reviewed entry that mentions the word "brain" and a peer reviewed entry that concludes the brain is the sum and substance of the self.

:eek:

Actually a casual investigation indicates an array of terms used to explain different aspects of the self eg "self as context", "conceived self" etc etc

Last edited:
Back