Locked out of the site.

Pinball1970

Valued Senior Member
I could log in and see my account, by could not upvote and had no posting privileges. On the front page said "waiting to confirm e-mail address."

I have not changed my confirmatory e-mail since I joined.

I am back in now, not sure if James fixed, I requested Gaiachild contact him for me so thanks if that is what happened.

Cheers

PB1970

I could log in and see my account, by could not upvote and had no posting privileges. On the front page said "waiting to confirm e-mail address."

I am back in now, not sure if James fixed, I requested Gaiachild contact him for me so thanks if that is what happened.

Cheers

PB1970
Hmm, I’ve never experienced that before. Were you on your phone trying to log in, or laptop?

Hmm, I’ve never experienced that before. Were you on your phone trying to log in, or laptop?
Desk top. The only thing I can think of is SF tried to send me a notification to my e-mail, which is what usually happens when someone replies to me or upvotes a post, but that did not get through.
I went in my settings and "changed" my e-mail to what it already was and saved. So nothing was actually changed.
That could be have done it?

Reactions: C C
Desk top. The only thing I can think of is SF tried to send me a notification to my e-mail, which is what usually happens when someone replies to me or upvotes a post, but that did not get through.
I went in my settings and "changed" my e-mail to what it already was and saved. So nothing was actually changed.
So, you’ve been receiving all of the forum notification emails up until recently?

Hi Pinball,

Cheers

PB1970
I didn't do anything, and I received no messages from Gaiachild. (Who's that?)

Maybe a glitch of some kind. Browser cookie issue or similar, perhaps?

So, you’ve been receiving all of the forum notification emails up until recently?
Yes, all seems good now. I will check the gap of last mail to get through before it locked.
Everything was ok after your upgrade/ new format so it wasn't that.

Hi Pinball,

I didn't do anything, and I received no messages from Gaiachild. (Who's that?)

Maybe a glitch of some kind. Browser cookie issue or similar, perhaps?
All good now.
I requested my colleague joined as he has varied interests that align with a lot of your threads. I need to bug him to go on more.
I took the glory for some beautiful images he took of the Arora, I posted them on here. Can't remember which thread.

Anyway all good now thanks for following up guys.

All good now.
I requested my colleague joined as he has varied interests that align with a lot of your threads. I need to bug him to go on more.
I took the glory for some beautiful images he took of the Arora, I posted them on here. Can't remember which thread.

Anyway all good now thanks for following up guys.
It's "Aurora".(Is Arora a brand of cooking fat or lard?)

They were the best! (the photos)

Wow. Makes me glad I disabled or turned off all the email stuff a long time ago. Or hope I did.
_

This sounds a lot like what happened to me a few years ago. I tried to change my email and got locked out. Took me a week to find and reach out to the site owner, who got in touch with James and got me back in. I'm afraid to touch my email address now.

Took me some elaborate pantomime to get back on after an absence, too. At first, I just ignored the problem and tried again from time to time. No luck. Meanwhile, my mail program got frozen in some upgrade procedure, so I'm using a different one. Then, all of a sudden, same address, same password, I was back in - only now I'm purple!
I don't question these events anymore.

I was locked out out of the blue.I had to ask Dave to intercede with James to get me back in.The site was not sending emails to my address so I ,although I was actually logged in I could not post or validate my email address with the site..

There does not seem to be an email address to communicate directly with admin.Perhaps that is intentional?

Hm .The same happened again after I thought the problem was solved,

I then went to my settings and tried "changing" and saving my email to the same as before but got no email from the site.

So I went back again into my settings and changed the email address there to a new one but this time to an email address attached to my own domain (ie not a free email like the hotmail one I have always used)

That worked and I got an email from sciforums that I had to click on to validate the email- which allows me to post.

I see my "two step verification" is disabled in "Password and Security"

I didn't do that

Is it safe to enable it again ,I wonder.Did admin perhaps disable it while working in the background?

Is the registration system working I wonder? Do we have any new members?

I see my "two step verification" is disabled in "Password and Security"

I didn't do that

Is it safe to enable it again ,I wonder.Did admin perhaps disable it while working in the background?

Is the registration system working I wonder? Do we have any new members?
I didn't mess with two step verification. When I looked at your profile it was already turned off.

I did re-validate your account, after some communications on your behalf that I received from DaveC.

I didn't mess with two step verification. When I looked at your profile it was already turned off.

I did re-validate your account, after some communications on your behalf that I received from DaveC.
Well ,I changed my email address because I wondered if the hotmail address was part of the problem .

Could it be that the 2 step verification is turned off by default when the email address is changed?

I am not sure whether to turn it on or not .
Is it best to let sleeping dogs lie?

I see some here seem to prefer to leave it off.

Edit: Oh and thanks :)

Last edited:
Well ,I changed my email address because I wondered if the hotmail address was part of the problem .

Could it be that the 2 step verification is turned off by default when the email address is changed?

I am not sure whether to turn it on or not .
Is it best to let sleeping dogs lie?

I see some here seem to prefer to leave it off.

Edit: Oh and thanks :)
2 step verification seems a bit heavy-handed for a mere discussion forum. No sensitive personal information is involved, surely?

2 step verification seems a bit heavy-handed for a mere discussion forum. No sensitive personal information is involved, surely?
Don't know why they use it. I was very surprised that ,when I gave my email address to this site they were unable to send me an email to that address so that I could click on it.

I wonder why that is hard to fix.(seems a simple procedure)

I know sometimes sites specify that addresses should not be free(eg hotmail or gmail ..)
I really have no idea where the problem is.

An intermittent fault ?Maybe the code on old sites gets very complicated/unwieldy the more work is done on them over the years and some faults are just too much trouble to mend completely.

Back