Lengthy Proof there is a god Thread?

He's made it pretty clear he objects to other viewpoints. He had a knee-jerk reaction to a perceived sleight about philosophy, and only saw red after that. That's OK; he's only one of many voices in this discussion.

As you said, we learn more about our world by assuming everyone else is as conscious as we are. In the same way, we proceed as if we are not brains in a vat, or programs in a simulation.

Society would proceed at a snail's pace if, everytime we communicated with someone, we had to ask if their words were merely the product of a complex chatbot.
So much for making assumptions about the consciousness of others!

Claiming that something is "purely philosophical" is a common way to dismiss both philosophy and an issue. Perhaps you are ignorant of this, despite equating philosophy and the issue with "no material difference". Perhaps you projected your own anger on me.

Claiming that something is "purely philosophical" is a common way to dismiss both philosophy and an issue.
It may be, but that is not what I am doing. I'm sorry you feel my purpose is to dismiss. It is not.

I'm not sure what your stance is. The issue of whether anyone else is conscious but me may have philosophical implications, but as far as getting on in the world, the doubt is generally a hindrance. One must assume one is not unique, or one will spend one's life unable to draw conclusions.

The issue of whether anyone else is conscious but me may have philosophical implications, but as far as getting on in the world, the doubt is generally a hindrance. One must assume one is not unique, or one will spend one's life unable to draw conclusions.
True, however: How can one rationally, deliberately, arrive at the conclusion that people are generally alike, alike especially in some psychological sense, and that one is not unique?

Back