Konstantin Raudive's recordings of the dead

Magical Realist

Valued Senior Member
Konstantin Raudive was a scientist who conducted pioneering research in recording voice messages from the dead. Here are three telephone calls he made to fellow researchers some 25 years after he died. Extraordinary clarity and sound!

Here is a brief summary of Raudive's research and his spirit contact device The Diode Detector:

Konstantin Raudive was a scientist who conducted pioneering research in recording voice messages from the dead. Here are three telephone calls he made to fellow researchers some 25 years after he died.
Who confirmed it was really him?

Auditory pareidolia. A common, well established phenomenon.

The lengthy messages from Raudive in the first video sound like hoaxes, given that almost all EVP are short phrases at most. Only Raudive can speak in paragraphs while all the other dead can only utter words like "Annie" when asked to identify themselves? (the Annie case is a good example of pareidolia priming, btw, as listeners knew the woman in the portrait they saw was named Annie before hearing anything)

Last edited:
The three fellow researchers who received his phone calls would most certainly recognize his voice. Can you not recognize a person you know by their voice when they call you?
So you're saying we just have to take the word of three researchers who obviously have a vested interest in these phonecalls being Voices from Beyond the Grave?

How did you establish that this was not a hoax (a) perpetrated by the "researchers" or (b) perpetrated by a third party trying to hoax the gullible researchers?

James R said: So you're saying we just have to take the word of three researchers who obviously have a vested interest in these phonecalls being Voices from Beyond the Grave?

How did you establish that this was not a hoax (a) perpetrated by the "researchers" or (b) perpetrated by a third party trying to hoax the gullible researchers?

Ah yes.. an elaborate hoax pulled off by the three fellow researchers. Years of sincere dedicated research only to be capped off with a devious hoaxing of their own results. So where did you learn about this? Or did you just make it up?

"Twenty years after his passing, in 1994, Raudive reportedly contacted several EVP/ITC researchers, including Sarah Estep, George Meek, Mark Macy, and Sonia Rinaldi. While the conversations with Estep and Meek were recorded, Macy was unavailable to answer the call, but Raudive left him a recorded message. Unfortunately, Rinaldi did not have a recording device on her phone at the time of Raudive’s call. During the phone calls, Raudive communicated eloquently, referenced the listeners’ personal experiences as concrete evidence of the afterlife, exhibited his distinctive Latvian accent, and engaged in a seamless exchange regarding the researchers’ EVP/ITC work. Some individuals interpret these conversations as proof of Raudive’s continued existence despite his physical demise."--- https://seekreality.com/recorded-evidence-of-the-afterlife-proving-life-after-death/

I did a Google search on "Raudive's phone call hoax" and could not find any evidence of a hoax ever being discovered or even suspected. Indeed, the fact that it was so clearly Raudive's own voice and recognizable to the researchers makes hoaxing practically impossible. The phone calls also included comments on details known only to the researchers, thereby ruling out a third party hoax. So I stand by the claims of the researchers on the authenticity of the phone calls.

Last edited:
I wonder why he built a "spirit contact device" when all the dead have to do is call us up on the phone? And why aren't we all receiving calls from our dead friends and relatives?

I wonder why he built a "spirit contact device" when all the dead have to do is call us up on the phone? And why aren't we all receiving calls from our dead friends and relatives?
Funny you should ask that.

"Can the dead manipulate electronic devices? Can they reach back through the fabric of time and space, from wherever they are, and influence the workings of our communications devices -- our phones -- to leave one last message... to say one last goodbye?

As fantastic as it seems, the mystery of phone calls from the dead is not an uncommon one. Those who have researched the phenomenon have determined that these calls usually occur within the first 24 hours of the death, but there have been cases in which the calls were received as long as two years after. The call is usually filled with heavy static and the phantom caller's voice is faint, as if far away. Far away, indeed.

Following are some remarkable instances of phantom phone calls, as told by the people who experienced them. In some cases, it's the phantom who answers the phone. But in every case, the experience remains unexplained...."

So, I ask again,, why aren't we all getting calls from our deceased friends and relatives?

Ah yes.. an elaborate hoax pulled off by the three fellow researchers.
You can't rule it out, can you?
Years of sincere dedicated research only to be capped off with a devious hoaxing of their own results.
How do you know their research was sincere?
So where did you learn about this? Or did you just make it up?
I'm learning about this from you. You're the expert. You've done your research on this, have you not? What have you found out?

Or have you just watched a couple of youtube videos and been suckered into believing something implausible again?
".... During the phone calls, Raudive communicated eloquently, referenced the listeners’ personal experiences as concrete evidence of the afterlife, exhibited his distinctive Latvian accent, and engaged in a seamless exchange regarding the researchers’ EVP/ITC work."
It's a pity he didn't communicate anything useful to confirm that he was calling from the afterlife.
I did a Google search on "Raudive's phone call hoax" and could not find any evidence of a hoax ever being discovered or even suspected.
Okay, but your google search skills aren't the best, are they? Besides, when did all this happen? How much information about this have you managed to find on the interwebs about it? Have you even looked, in general terms? Or it is just couch potato stuff, glued mindlessly to youtube?
Indeed, the fact that it was so clearly Raudive's own voice and recognizable to the researchers makes hoaxing practically impossible.
What establishes that particular claim as "fact"?
The phone calls also included comments on details known only to the researchers, thereby ruling out a third party hoax.
Is this something the researchers said?

Okay. That just makes a hoax by the researchers themselves more likely.
So I stand by the claims of the researchers on the authenticity of the phone calls.
You often hang the tatters of your reputation on the flimsiest coat hooks. This is nothing new.

You can't rule it out, can you?

Why posit something there's no evidence for?

I'm learning about this from you. You're the expert. You've done your research on this, have you not? What have you found out?

No you did not learn about a hoax from me. You didn't learn it from anywhere. You just made it up. As I showed there is no evidence of any hoax here at all.

Okay, but your google search skills aren't the best, are they?

Really? How would you know that?

Besides, when did all this happen?

Read the article I posted.

How much information about this have you managed to find on the interwebs about it? Have you even looked, in general terms?

Enough to know it happened. How much information am I supposed to have about it? Are you capable of researching anything for yourself?

Okay. That just makes a hoax by the researchers themselves more likely.

How do the researchers' statements vouching for the phone calls make a hoax more likely? Again, do you have any evidence of a hoax? No, because there is none.

Last edited:
So, I ask again,, why aren't we all getting calls from our deceased friends and relatives?
For that matter, if the deceased can somehow manipulate electronic circuitry, why aren't we receiving emails or texts? The amount of energy to flip bits in a chip is pretty small and modern smartphones are more sensitive to signals than the old analog phones. Smartphones often come with advanced software features that can help improve signal reception, such as carrier aggregation, MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output), and signal boosting technologies. Should be easier than ever to send a message like, hey, it's Dad, I am dead and loving every minute! Wish you were here! Haha, just kidding!

Enough to know it happened. How much information am I supposed to have about it? Are you capable of researching anything for yourself?

It's your thread. I would think you would be the one responsible for backing your extraordinary claims with extraordinary evidence. So far we have stuff on a par with George Adamski's photo of a chicken brooder "UFO." Did a neutral expert party ever listen to and record one of these calls and conduct an acoustic analysis of the voice, comparing it to a recording of the person in life, and verify that the call was "live" i.e. not a pre-recorded message played over the phone?

It's your thread. I would think you would be the one responsible for backing your extraordinary claims with extraordinary evidence.

I posted the actual phone calls and information on Raudive's work. That IS the extraordinary evidence. So far there has been zero refutation of that beyond just made up claims of a hoax. If you need more go find it yourself. I can't anticipate every whimsical requirement any skeptics may come up with. As for the claim that e-mails would be easier for the dead to send, I doubt that those would be very convincing. An e-mail could be sent by anyone. A phone call otoh can be immediately identified by the caller's distinctive voice and elocution.

Last edited:
"whimsical" ? Raudive called three believers. Surely he knew skeptics of his research, why not call them? As a scientist, he would definitely want to call experts in acoustic analysis who would have the equipment to determine the call was not pre-recorded.

As for the claim that e-mails would be easier for the dead to send, I doubt that those would be very convincing. An e-mail could be sent by anyone. A phone call otoh can be immediately identified by the caller's distinctive voice and elocution.

I didn't say an email would be convincing, rather I said it was odd that the dead, if they are reaching out to us by manipulating electronic circuits, wouldn't try options like text or email. Digital processing and signal boosting seems favorable to them. My point was that the Dead People hypothesis seems inconsistent with the rarity of messages where full sentences get through and only extended messages from the chief proponent of the DPH who happened to have many recordings of his own voice made, and all the other cases are hard to distinguish from acoustic pareidolia. There are tens of billions of dead people - in the words of Enrico Fermi, where are they?

Surely he knew skeptics of his research, why not call them?

Because he worked with, respected, and was good friends with those researchers. It was his promised gift to them confirming the afterlife for them. Why call some random people who don't even know you and would likely just call it all a hoax as all skeptics are wont to do? It would be a waste of a precious phone call.

Back