• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know

• Some other opinion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How is this any different to people with advanced math, group and set theory, having a huddle in their corner?

To S.A.M. and Billy-T (and anyone else, but I don't think there is anyone else here :p).

What journals do you like to read (no need to list sciam.com or nature.com, or "The Nature Signalling gateway"), and where do you search from? Everything I try from scholar.google.com seems to be subscription (42$ for one issue of The Journal of Biochemistry:bugeye: )

I was trying to read up and see if there was a suitable article on articles about recent uses of "abzymes", kind of like what Billy-T posted. Perhaps abzymes is not the best search term.

I assume this is what the monoclonal antibodies that target cancer cells were that was mentioned. With a part to bind to the cancer cells and afterwards a part to receive "prodrugs".

tumor_drug.gif

It seems to be a great strategy, in theory, with very wide applicability. I'll keep trying to find a article(s) that might give an idea on how this approach is progressing, in specific or broad terms. Note that that image is from 2000... If there has been, hypothetically, little progress in this front so many years later, does it necessarily indicate anything about the viability of this approach?

Any update on the bavituximab, Billy?

Hi SAM---

I tried it in Physics and no one seemed interested in reading the paper.

A Journal Club needs a commitment. Maybe things are different here in Biology and genetics.

I'm all for it! but you got to give me awhile to read that very interesting article, between typing here I'm either running an experiment or writing a report.

To S.A.M. and Billy-T (and anyone else, but I don't think there is anyone else here :p).

What journals do you like to read (no need to list sciam.com or nature.com, or "The Nature Signalling gateway"), and where do you search from? Everything I try from scholar.google.com seems to be subscription (42$ for one issue of The Journal of Biochemistry:bugeye: )

I don't have any particular favorites though I hit Science and American Scientist for pop sci. I usually read Journal of Biological Chemistry, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Journal of Nutrition, Obesity research etc.

I have End Note and I make libraries based on topic so I have stuff organised.

Usually I search on Pubmed or the uni library site or Google Scholar which is also contains our uni library. I like Google Scholar more because you can edit Scholar preferences to add citations to End Note.

Google Scholar into EndNote

* Go to Google Scholar at http://scholar.google.com
* Beside the search box click on Scholar Preferences
* When the Preferences window opens scroll down to Bibliographic Manager
* Choose the option Show links to import citations into and select EndNote from the drop-down box
* Click on Save Preferences
* You will now see a new link Import into EndNote at the end of each reference found in your seach
* To save a reference click on this link. You will be asked to select an EndNote Library. Click on Open
* The reference will appear in a new window in EndNote. Only the citation will be imported
* By clicking on the title you can often find the abstract, keywords or even the entire article. The abstract, keywords and the URL can then be cut and pasted into your EndNote reference

And also because you can add google scholar search engine to your firefox browser. All these little things save a lot of time when you're constantly using journal references.

The uni gives us on and off campus access to virtually everything.

I recommend searching on Pubmed to start with. I usually use many search terms if I know exactly what I want.

Hi SAM---

I tried it in Physics and no one seemed interested in reading the paper.

A Journal Club needs a commitment. Maybe things are different here in Biology and genetics.

Well here no one seems interested in reviewing it. :p

What journals do you like to read ...Any update on the bavituximab, Billy?
I rarely read journals - do not have times and not easy to do here in Brazil in English journals. I have financial interest in more than 30 early stage drug developers and a "watch list" of another 30 or so. www.Moringstar.com sends me any "breaking news" about each of them by daily Email. (Go to morinigstar.com "portfolio tab" as I recall, to set up your personnel "watch list")
www.PharmaLive.com has a set of free services I have used for several years that also send me Emails daily with about 6 different groupings. (They are really good and complete - most companies I have never heard of! Each enrty has brief text and link to more.) For example, one group is short note about ALL the recent FDA actions -very important financially - That action can literally destroy or greatly enrich a company with only "one Phase 3 results waiting the FDA's decision. (I have had stock lose >75% of their market value in one day!) Early stage drug developers are only for people like me who can afford to lose it all and want to re-enforce their motivation to learn the amazing things happening in targeted drug development, etc.
Also relative new (I have not used it - but tested once and does seem to work and is free) is www.PharmaLiveSearch.com

On bavituximab the last entry in that company's file in my computer is:

"1March08 issue of a cancer research journal: “radiolabeled bavituximab to rats with prostate tumors* and then conducted molecular imaging studies of the rats over the next several days. The results showed that radiolabeled bavituximab localized to the tumor blood vessels with great specificity. In these subjects, 22 times as much bavituximab localized to the tumor compared to the liver when measured 72 hours post-injection. The study further showed no specific localization of bavituximab to blood or other tissues including the heart, kidney, intestine, muscle, bone and brain. The tumor blood vessel-selective targeting observed in vivo in the study was confirmed by further bio-distribution analyses and by histology studies.”
----------------
*This note dose not state but I believe from others I have that the rates were "Zenographs" I.e. human prostrate cancer cells were implanted (perhaps some imune system suppression drugs used to or the rats were "half human"?) to grow human prostate cancer in the rats.

This is a mix of my notes and quotes from now unknown source. I try to extract the important results from larger articles. - Keeping my tracking files on more than 50 companies half way up to date and compressed enough to be useful later when I want to get a feeling for how one is doing is a lot of work. Typically each file is several pages long if no slides are present. Those page are full 8.5 inches wide (but never printed) so two of their presentation slides fit side by side. I download slides during the presentations companies make, if permitted. The meeting are usually sponsored by financial organization. The early stage drug developer usually have no income and high cash burn rates for clinical studies with hundreds of patients so they are often making these presentations. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is journal club still open? I've found an article that would be great. Do I post the link in the forum or in this sticky?

Jessica

Is journal club still open? I've found an article that would be great. Do I post the link in the forum or in this sticky?

Jessica

Just open a thread with the title Journal Club:<Thread Title> and message me the link so I can add it to the OP. :)

I read PNAS.org and AMJBOT.org. They both have great archives filled free full text articles. I love AMJBOT, probably because I'm a plant nerd. For condensed soup science I read sciencenews.com.

Just open a thread with the title Journal Club:<Thread Title> and message me the link so I can add it to the OP. :)

Great! Now I just have to hunt down the article again. It proposes multiple plastid acquisition events throughout the history of Eukaryote evolution. The article is a few years old, I hope everyone hasn't read it already.

Great! Now I just have to hunt down the article again. It proposes multiple plastid acquisition events throughout the history of Eukaryote evolution. The article is a few years old, I hope everyone hasn't read it already.

If you have a citation, I can locate it. :)

Thanks, I just found it. I first noticed the article on AMJBOT's 50 most read article list. I just couldn't remember if I'd seen it in PNAS or AMJBOT so I had to browse around a bit. I'll make a new thread now with links and send you the link as well.

Jessica

Back