Jewish/Christian Prophecies

davewhite04

Valued Senior Member
I got an idea for this thread off another member and thought I'd go with it.

Most of the prophecies I post will be related to Jesus Christ, both the Old/New Testaments.

This one is incredible and probably my favourite:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Malachi 1:11

11 For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the Lord of hosts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So basically the Jewish/Christian God would be worshipped around the world all the time. What a prophecy!

This was written approx. 2600 years ago. The God of the bible was exclusively Jewish, not a great number of followers. The Jews at the time thought the Gentiles(none Jews) were dirty, not to be trusted, unholy, scum really.

When Jesus came on the scene, well His followers eventually made this prophecy true.

Can this prophecy be challenged?

Various "Jewish messiah" claimants both before and after Jesus Christ were inspired and triggered by applicable prophecies themselves in Hebrew literature. So it shouldn't be surprising that Paul ("the apostle to the Gentiles") could also be motivated by "predictions" which he construed as part of his personal mission to bring about.

That doesn't bar believers from still considering _X_ forecasts to be valid. But like many religious and paranormal affairs, the skeptic community can likewise infer its own mundane explanations from the circumstances.

Dual signification. ;)
_

Last edited:
Quick read of Malachi to catch up!

Ok. Malachi was warning the Jews that their bad behaviour was going to have serious consequences. A common theme of the prophets, book your ideas up or else.
He even says Elijah will come back, as you may recall the prophet Elijah did not die but went to heaven on a chariot.

When Jesus came on the scene, well His followers eventually made this prophecy true.
Early Christians saw the Elijah reference pointing to Jesus, preparing the way for when Yhwh comes to establish his new kingdom on earth.

You can argue that Jesus is now regarded as god today by billions so he got it right.

We have 14 million Jews who do not think so and two Billion or so Muslims who regard Jesus as a great prophet not the son of god or god.

Various "Jewish messiah" claimants both before and after Jesus Christ were inspired and triggered by applicable prophecies themselves in Hebrew literature.

These false messiahs were crucified directly off Romans because they thought the office of the Messiah was to become an earthly king, so they tried to overthrow the Romans, or cause as much trouble as they could. This is why Jesus was unique, he was ultimately a peaceful man and made it clear his kingdom was not of this world, hence Pilot's hesitation to crucify him.

So it shouldn't be surprising that Paul ("the apostle to the Gentiles") could also be motivated by "predictions" which he construed as part of his personal mission to bring about.

Something inspired Paul, he saw God(Jesus), he was healed of blindness by one of Jesus' disciples. He was a murderer of the early Christians until God changed his way. As far as "making a prophecy come true, I don't buy it, maybe the early missionaries thought this but Paul went through hell just to visit a few countries. He eventually was beheaded in Rome.

That doesn't bar believers from still considering _X_ forecasts to be valid. But like many religious and paranormal affairs, the skeptic community can likewise infer its own mundane explanations from the circumstances.

Dual signification. ;)
_

On the face of it it is amazing that a tribal God predicted such a prophecy, so long ago. All the other gods died off, but the God of the Christians now have billions of members, and have had billions in the past. Not bad going for some obscure(compared to the Roman/Greek gods) has survived and spread like it has. It's a fact.

Early Christians saw the Elijah reference pointing to Jesus, preparing the way for when Yhwh comes to establish his new kingdom on earth.

You can argue that Jesus is now regarded as god today by billions so he got it right.

We have 14 million Jews who do not think so and two Billion or so Muslims who regard Jesus as a great prophet not the son of god or god.
Whoever you think Jesus is/was he is the most influential figure in history. Not bad for an obscure/poor Rabbi, that lived for just 33 years, and only had a 3 year ministry!

I'll dig out a prophecy pertaining to Jesus next, just wondering which one :)

Since I left Christianity in my 20's many moons ago I have come to see how the OT has been twisted over the centuries by the gospel writers and Paul to justify their beliefs.

A clear example of that is the gospel of Matthew, a strongly apologetic work used to convince early jews and gentiles that Jesus was the promised messiah. But the many OT scriptures quoted as "prophecies" in Matthew often have nothing to do with prophesying anything. Alot come from Psalms, which were originally hymns of praise and devotion not prophesies of the messiah. Others, like the rejected servant passage of Isaiah 58, are not prophetic of the messiah either but are a metaphorical depiction of Israel in its history of persecution and suffering.

Meanwhile all the true messianic prophecies of the OT, as originally interpreted by the Jews, actually foretell of the coming of a Great Prince who would overthrow the enemies of Israel and set up a real kingdom on earth. Thus was the messiah, fervently anticipated by the Jews in 4-70 AD , believed to be a great military leader like Joshua (Hebrew version of Jesus) who would deliver the Jews from Roman rule and not some latter day pacifist cult leader.

Ofcourse in terms of any scripturally ordained messianic mission Jesus failed miserably and was soon executed. There were in fact no OT prophecies he fulfilled and nothing in his alleged biography that merited any claim as the promised Messiah. Is it any wonder that he ended up like all the other self-proclaimed Messiahs of that time who all got rejected by the Jews and executed for treason and blasphemy?

Last edited:
Since I left Christianity in my 20's many moons ago I have come to see how the OT has been twisted over the centuries by the gospel writers and Paul to justify their beliefs.

Do you think the OT has been changed?

A clear example of that is the gospel of Matthew, a strongly apologetic work used to convince early jews and gentiles that Jesus was the promised messiah. But the many OT scriptures quoted as "prophecies" in Matthew often have nothing to do with prophesying anything. Alot come from Psalms, which were originally hymns of praise and devotion not prophesies of the messiah. Others, like the rejected servant passage of Isaiah 58, are not prophetic of the messiah either but are a metaphorical depiction of Israel in its history of persecution and suffering.

King David is not only a prophet in Judaism, he is a prophet in Christianity and Islam.

I think you mean Isaiah 53, not 58? Jews avoid this chapter because they know it is talking of a man, not a nation. I'll be pulling out that prophecy later so we can discuss then if you like?

Meanwhile all the true messianic prophecies of the OT, as originally interpreted by the Jews, actually foretell of the coming of a Great Prince who would overthrow the enemies of Israel and set up a real kingdom on earth. Thus was the messiah, fervently anticipated by the Jews in 4-70 AD , believed to be a great military leader like Joshua (Hebrew version of Jesus) who would deliver the Jews from Roman rule and not some latter day pacifist cult leader.

Have you got an example of one of these prophecies?

Ofcourse in terms of any scripturally ordained messianic mission Jesus failed miserably and was soon executed. There were in fact no OT prophecies he fulfilled and nothing in his alleged biography that merited any claim as the promised Messiah. Is it any wonder that he ended up like all the other self-proclaimed Messiahs of that time who all got rejected by the Jews and executed for treason and blasphemy?

I suppose improving billions of peoples lives thousands of years after you die is "failing miserably". Most of the false messiahs who wanted to fight the Romans were classed as trouble, and were dealt with directly by the Romans. Insane to think a little cult could overthrow an empire with a sword, now that's crazy!

I think you mean Isaiah 53, not 58?

Yes...that's the one.

I think you mean Isaiah 53, not 58? Jews avoid this chapter because they know it is talking of a man, not a nation. I'll be pulling out that prophecy later so we can discuss then if you like?

"According to modern scholarship (among whom include Christians), the suffering servant described in Isaiah chapter 53 is actually the Jewish people in its original context.[73][74][75][76][77]"--- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaiah_53

Have you got an example of one of these prophecies?

"The mashiach (messiah) will be a great political leader descended from King David (Jeremiah 23:5). The mashiach is often referred to as "mashiach ben David" (mashiach, son of David). He will be well-versed in Jewish law, and observant of its commandments (Isaiah 11:2-5). He will be a charismatic leader, inspiring others to follow his example. He will be a great military leader, who will win battles for Israel. He will be a great judge, who makes righteous decisions (Jeremiah 33:15). But above all, he will be a human being, not a god, demi-god or other supernatural being...

Before the time of the mashiach, there shall be war and suffering (Ezekiel 38:16)

The mashiach will bring about the political and spiritual redemption of the Jewish people by bringing us back to Israel and restoring Jerusalem (Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5). He will establish a government in Israel that will be the center of all world government, both for Jews and gentiles (Isaiah 2:2-4; 11:10; 42:1). He will rebuild the Temple and re-establish its worship (Jeremiah 33:18). He will restore the religious court system of Israel and establish Jewish law as the law of the land (Jeremiah 33:15).

Olam Ha-Ba: The Messianic Age

The world after the messiah comes is often referred to in Jewish literature as Olam Ha-Ba (oh-LAHM hah-BAH), the World to Come. This term can cause some confusion, because it is also used to refer to a spiritual afterlife. In English, we commonly use the term "messianic age" to refer specifically to the time of the messiah.

Olam Ha-Ba will be characterized by the peaceful co-existence of all people (Isaiah 2:4). Hatred, intolerance and war will cease to exist. Some authorities suggest that the laws of nature will change, so that predatory beasts will no longer seek prey and agriculture will bring forth supernatural abundance (Isaiah 11:6-11:9). Others, however, say that these statements are merely an allegory for peace and prosperity.

All of the Jewish people will return from their exile among the nations to their home in Israel (Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5). The law of the Jubilee will be reinstated.

In the Olam Ha-Ba, the whole world will recognize the Jewish G-d as the only true G-d, and the Jewish religion as the only true religion (Isaiah 2:3; 11:10; Micah 4:2-3; Zechariah 14:9). There will be no murder, robbery, competition or jealousy. There will be no sin (Zephaniah 3:13). Sacrifices will continue to be brought in the Temple, but these will be limited to thanksgiving offerings, because there will be no further need for expiatory offerings."---- https://www.jewfaq.org/mashiach

I suppose improving billions of peoples lives thousands of years after you die is "failing miserably".

We saw what happened when Christianity thrived and took over the Western world. It was called the Dark Ages or The Age of Faith, a time of superstitions and ignorance and disease and poverty and intolerance. Then Science came along and the Renaissance and the Enlightenment and so the Dark Ages finally ended.

"During the Age of Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries, many critical thinkers saw religion as antithetical to reason. For them the Middle Ages, or "Age of Faith", was therefore the opposite of the Age of Reason.[32]Baruch Spinoza, Bernard Fontenelle, Immanuel Kant, David Hume, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Denis Diderot, Voltaire, Marquis De Sade and Jean-Jacques Rousseau were vocal in attacking the Middle Ages as a period of social regress dominated by religion, while Gibbon in The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire expressed contempt for the "rubbish of the Dark Ages".---- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)

Last edited:
Yes...that's the one.

"According to modern scholarship (among whom include Christians), the suffering servant described in Isaiah chapter 53 is actually the Jewish people in its original context.[73][74][75][76][77]"--- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaiah_53

There's no way it is talking about the Jewish people. It is talking about an individual, it's obvious. I'll post the chapter and highlight what I mean:

Isaiah 52

The Suffering and Glory of the Servant

13See, my servant will act wisely;
he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted.
14 Just as there were many who were appalled at him
his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any human
being
and his form marred beyond human likeness
15 so he will sprinkle many nations,
and kings will shut their mouths because of him.
For what they were not told, they will see,
and what they have not heard, they will understand.

Jesus fulfilled 15.

Isaiah 53

53 Who has believed our message
and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

3 He was despised and rejected by mankind,
a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

4 Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,(When did the Jews did this)
yet we considered him punished by God,
stricken by him, and afflicted.
5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,(crucifiction)
he was crushed for our iniquities;(who is "our" if we're talking about the Jewish people?)
the punishment that brought us peace was on him
,(When was peace on the Jewish people?)
and by his wounds we are healed.
6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,(Who is "we" if not the audience, the Jewish people)
each of us has turned to our own way;(The Jewish people)
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.(all = Jewish people)

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
Yet who of his generation protested?(what Jews protested? How can it be the Jewish people when they clearly are the audience in this chapter?)
For he was cut off from the land of the living;(Jesus was killed)
for the transgression of my people he was punished.(Jesus)
9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.(trying to tell me there was no deceit in Jewish the mouths of the JEWS?)

10 Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin, (Jesus)
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,(Jesus saw his followers, and still does as His Kingdom is eternal)
and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.
11 After he has suffered,
he will see the light of life and be satisfied;
by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.
12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,
and he will divide the spoils with the strong,
because he poured out his life unto death,
and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,(Jesus)
and made intercession for the transgressors.(Jesus)

"The mashiach (messiah) will be a great political leader descended from King David (Jeremiah 23:5). The mashiach is often referred to as "mashiach ben David" (mashiach, son of David). He will be well-versed in Jewish law, and observant of its commandments (Isaiah 11:2-5). He will be a charismatic leader, inspiring others to follow his example. He will be a great military leader, who will win battles for Israel. He will be a great judge, who makes righteous decisions (Jeremiah 33:15). But above all, he will be a human being, not a god, demi-god or other supernatural being...

These are future prophecies. Can you honestly imagine some other Jew fitting this bill?

Before the time of the mashiach, there shall be war and suffering (Ezekiel 38:16)

There was.

The mashiach will bring about the political and spiritual redemption of the Jewish people by bringing us back to Israel and restoring Jerusalem (Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5). He will establish a government in Israel that will be the center of all world government, both for Jews and gentiles (Isaiah 2:2-4; 11:10; 42:1). He will rebuild the Temple and re-establish its worship (Jeremiah 33:18). He will restore the religious court system of Israel and establish Jewish law as the law of the land (Jeremiah 33:15).

Future prophecy. He has already brought Jews and Gentiles back to Israel.

Continued...

Olam Ha-Ba: The Messianic Age

The world after the messiah comes is often referred to in Jewish literature as Olam Ha-Ba (oh-LAHM hah-BAH), the World to Come. This term can cause some confusion, because it is also used to refer to a spiritual afterlife. In English, we commonly use the term "messianic age" to refer specifically to the time of the messiah.

Olam Ha-Ba will be characterized by the peaceful co-existence of all people (Isaiah 2:4). Hatred, intolerance and war will cease to exist. Some authorities suggest that the laws of nature will change, so that predatory beasts will no longer seek prey and agriculture will bring forth supernatural abundance (Isaiah 11:6-11:9). Others, however, say that these statements are merely an allegory for peace and prosperity.

Exactly what Jesus said about His second coming.

All of the Jewish people will return from their exile among the nations to their home in Israel (Isaiah 11:11-12; Jeremiah 23:8; 30:3; Hosea 3:4-5). The law of the Jubilee will be reinstated.

This is happening now.

In the Olam Ha-Ba, the whole world will recognize the Jewish G-d as the only true G-d, and the Jewish religion as the only true religion (Isaiah 2:3; 11:10; Micah 4:2-3; Zechariah 14:9). There will be no murder, robbery, competition or jealousy. There will be no sin (Zephaniah 3:13). Sacrifices will continue to be brought in the Temple, but these will be limited to thanksgiving offerings, because there will be no further need for expiatory offerings."---- https://www.jewfaq.org/mashiach

The whole world already recognise the Jewish God because of Jesus Christ.

We saw what happened when Christianity thrived and took over the Western world. It was called the Dark Ages or The Age of Faith, a time of superstitions and ignorance and disease and poverty and intolerance. Then Science came along and the Renaissance and the Enlightenment and so the Dark Ages finally ended.

They might of ended but Christianity still had a massive influence in the West and still does. There are well over 2 billion Christians in the world, of all walks of life.

"During the Age of Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries, many critical thinkers saw religion as antithetical to reason. For them the Middle Ages, or "Age of Faith", was therefore the opposite of the Age of Reason.[32]Baruch Spinoza, Bernard Fontenelle, Immanuel Kant, David Hume, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, Denis Diderot, Voltaire, Marquis De Sade and Jean-Jacques Rousseau were vocal in attacking the Middle Ages as a period of social regress dominated by religion, while Gibbon in The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire expressed contempt for the "rubbish of the Dark Ages".---- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Ages_(historiography)

Yet there is and has been billions and billions of Christians and under 20 million Jews.

Think about it.

Yet there is and has been billions and billions of Christians and under 20 million Jews.

There have also been "billions and billions" of Hindus and Muslims. Are you committing the fallacy of argumentum ad populum?

"The Ad populum fallacy refers to a claim that something is true simply because that's what a large number of people believe. In other words, if many people believe something to be true, then it must be true."---- https://www.scribbr.com/fallacies/ad-populum-fallacy/#:~:text=Ad populum fallacy refers to,then it must be true.

Not as the only true God. Read the quote again:

"In the Olam Ha-Ba, the whole world will recognize the Jewish G-d as the only true G-d, and the Jewish religion as the only true religion (Isaiah 2:3; 11:10; Micah 4:2-3; Zechariah 14:9). "

For over 2000 years now Christians in every century have expected Jesus to return, Even Paul and the apostles believed he would return in their day. Even Jesus said it would happen in their time:

“32 Now learn the parable from the fig tree: as soon as its branch has become tender and sprouts its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33 so you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door.34 Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."Matt 24:32-34

Since there's always wars and strife and false prophets and pestilence and earthquakes and eclipses, every century seems to be the one he will return in. And yet, still no Jesus. It's time to move on and focus your energy and time on life in this world. Jesus is never returning because he was just another Jewish cult leader (probably an Essene) who was executed for blasphemy 2000 years ago.

Was Jesus an Essene?
https://sacred-texts.com/chr/jae/jae03.htm

The Suffering Servant of Isaiah 53:
https://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/articles/isaiah-53-and-the-suffering-servant

"Missionaries misleadingly assert that the entire chapter 53 of the book of Isaiah refers to Jesus as the “Suffering Servant” of God who dies for the sins of the world. Someone could easily be fooled to believe this argument if Isaiah is read out of context and without a proper translation. At this point, take out a Tanach and turn to Isaiah 52 and read straight through 53, then proceed further:

If you read the text correctly, Isaiah is clearly telling us how the nations of the world will react when they witness the future messianic-redemption of the Jewish people. (Throughout the book of Isaiah, the Jewish people are referred to as the “Servant of G-d” and in the singular, e.g. Isaiah 41:8, Isaiah 49:3). First, they will be astonished, literally covering their mouths at what they see, because they never believed that they would witness the glorious redemption of a persecuted, rejected and despised Israel – which they themselves persecuted! Then, they will try to understand why this newly exalted Israel suffered so much. Originally they believed it was because G-d had rejected the Jews. Now that they see that this is not true, they will say that the suffering was the result of the transgressions of the nations (themselves) who persecuted the Jewish people...."

Last edited:
Continued...

This is happening now.

They might of ended but Christianity still had a massive influence in the West and still does. There are well over 2 billion Christians in the world, of all walks of life.

Think about it.
Isaiah is referring to Israel not a person.

Have to agree with MR on this one fella.

There have also been "billions and billions" of Hindus and Muslims. Are you committing the fallacy of argumentum ad populum?

Hats off to them too for sticking to their guns.

Not as the only true God. Read the quote again:

"In the Olam Ha-Ba, the whole world will recognize the Jewish G-d as the only true G-d, and the Jewish religion as the only true religion (Isaiah 11:10; Micah 4:2-3; Zechariah 14:9). "

Isaiah 11:10: Christianity started in Jerusalem, so the word came from there.
Micah 4:2-3: Revelation 21:1-4
Zechariah 14:9 Jesus Christ according to Christianity

For over 2000 years now Christians in every century have expected Jesus to return, Even Paul and the apostles believed he would return in their day. Even Jesus said it would happen in their time:

But the time only the Father knows Matthew 24:36.

“32 Now learn the parable from the fig tree: as soon as its branch has become tender and sprouts its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33 so you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door.34 Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."Matt 24:32-34

Since there's always wars and strife and false prophets and pestilence and earthquakes and eclipses, every century seems to be the one he will return in. And yet, still no Jesus. It's time to move on and focus your energy and time on life in this world. Jesus is never returning because he was just another Jewish cult leader (probably an Essene) who was executed for blasphemy 2000 years ago.

I don't agree.

Was Jesus an Essene?
https://sacred-texts.com/chr/jae/jae03.htm

The Suffering Servant of Isaiah 53:
https://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/articles/isaiah-53-and-the-suffering-servant

"Missionaries misleadingly assert that the entire chapter 53 of the book of Isaiah refers to Jesus as the “Suffering Servant” of God who dies for the sins of the world. Someone could easily be fooled to believe this argument if Isaiah is read out of context and without a proper translation. At this point, take out a Tanach and turn to Isaiah 52 and read straight through 53, then proceed further:

It is obviously an man Isaiah 52:10 -53 is talking about, I just can't see how you can't understand this.

When were Jews peaceful?
Jews never suffered for the world.
Jews have done no violence? Have you read the Old Testament?
my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities - How is this Israel?
because he poured out his life unto death - Israel(Jacob I assume?)?

I could go on and on. Israel has done nothing for me. In fact the opposite.

If you read the text correctly, Isaiah is clearly telling us how the nations of the world will react when they witness the future messianic-redemption of the Jewish people. (Throughout the book of Isaiah, the Jewish people are referred to as the “Servant of G-d” and in the singular, e.g. Isaiah 41:8, Isaiah 49:3). First, they will be astonished, literally covering their mouths at what they see, because they never believed that they would witness the glorious redemption of a persecuted, rejected and despised Israel – which they themselves persecuted! Then, they will try to understand why this newly exalted Israel suffered so much. Originally they believed it was because G-d had rejected the Jews. Now that they see that this is not true, they will say that the suffering was the result of the transgressions of the nations (themselves) who persecuted the Jewish people...."

We'll agree to disagree.

This is a collection of short prophecies, all from the KJV version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isaiah 7:14
14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Matthew 1:18-23

18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.

20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,

23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Isaiah 9:6
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Micah 5:2

2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most people know what these prophecies mean, so what are your thoughts?

This is a collection of short prophecies, all from the KJV version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Isaiah 7:14
14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Matthew 1:18-23

18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.

20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,

23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Isaiah 9:6
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Micah 5:2

2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most people know what these prophecies mean, so what are your thoughts?
What was there to stop the evangelists writing their stories to make such prophecies seem to have been fulfilled? They would have had a strong incentive to do that.

This is a famous one.

Virgin is a mistranslation, the Hebrew just said young woman.
Also Emmanuel?

Back