Jesus or Buddha?

Saint

Valued Senior Member
Sometimes I think i need a religion, but i don't know whether to choose Jesus or Buddha!
Can u advise me?
Jesus or Buddha is more probably the truest one?

god = religion
religion = war
war = devil
so god = devil

so think before you choose!

yank said:
god = religion
religion = war
war = devil
so god = devil

so think before you choose!
Religion != war. Just because fanatics of a faith choose to fight against heaevens and disbelievers it does not mean they are violent or warlike as a whole. The only war in Religion is the one between Good and evil if any at all exists with any true meaning.

Saint said:
Sometimes I think i need a religion, but i don't know whether to choose Jesus or Buddha!
Can u advise me?
I should say Jesus, as it is what I believe myself to be correct, but it is a choice everyone must make for themselves. Just look at what you believe, look at the different religions, and pick the one which you feel is right inside and which you agree with. I recently went through a similar process with Islam and Christianity

Same thing, different style.
The big difference is Buddha created Buddhism, Jesus didn't create Christianity. It takes more care and discrimination to figure out the truth of Jesus' teaching, while Buddha took care to make his teaching as methodical, if not easy, as possible.

i think you yourself should choose what feels right for you... no one else can. i think both jesus and buddha are true, it just depends on what kind of person you are.

Be a Deist or secular humanist. Both are better than Jesus or Buddha. That's my fallible, unepistomological opinion.

Personally, I say neither. I'm with the Taoists who say there is no method. Being who you are is the best you can do.

I've heard that in the east asia people follow multiple religions at the same time.......
but from my point of view, Buddism is a philosophy not a religion, so you can be christian and buddists in a way or another.......

May you be shown the Truth
Salam

Saint said:
Why do you think you need a religion?

Besides satisfying my curiosity, it might help you to answer the question.

~Raithere

WMA said:
Religion != war. Just because fanatics of a faith choose to fight against heaevens and disbelievers it does not mean they are violent or warlike as a whole. The only war in Religion is the one between Good and evil if any at all exists with any true meaning.

well i wouldn't wanna say anything if you are aware of all the relligious fights in history!

There are some early conquests recorded by the Bible/Torah[Ten'ach] in the OT, but apart from that, the majority battles which have been fought "in the name of God" are not true battles for righteous cause. Just as the Muslim extremist today fight in the name of Allah/God, they are not truely fighting in his name, and are takng things to the extreme. It is the people who make war, not the religion. The religion can provide reason though, I'll grant you that.

Buddha is earlier than Jesus, he taught most of the things Jesus taught. I think, Buddha is wiser than Jesus

Saint said:
Can u advise me?

You dont have to be a christian to study the teachings of Jesus. You dont have to be a buddhist to study the teachings of Buddha.

Carry on and study both. They are not mutually exlusive.

Saint said:
Buddha is earlier than Jesus, he taught most of the things Jesus taught. I think, Buddha is wiser than Jesus
Buddha came ~500 BCE. Whilst the moral and ethical values of their teachings may be indeed very similar, the beliefs which they taught vary widely, and they both take different views on beliefs. Buddhist believe one should not have beliefs, as beliefs are a dangerous thing because they are thinking without learning, or something. Jesus on the other hand taught that Belief was a nessecity for salvation. Well, if you think Buddha is wiser than Jesus, then I do not think Christianity would be something that would suit you well. In Christianity Jesus is part of the Trinity, and as such, He is God [and son of God]. Being so, he created the universe, and was infintisemally wise, with no bounds to his knowledge, especially not of this world, as he created all the knowledge one can posses in this realm. From a Christian perspective, Buddhism is naturally wrong, as rebirth is not real, you are judged based on this life, therefor Enlightenment cannot exist, as Buddhism teaches Enlightenment escapes you from this cycle. Since enlightenment is not real, one therefor cannot be as Wise as God.

On the other hand, if you are Buddhist, there are a few options. Belief Buddhist is a real person is not a necessity of the religion. Indeed, some people believe he was a metaphorical character, and some believe he didn't exist at all. The majority of Mahayana Buddhist believe he was real, as do a lot of Thervada Buddhist. By becoming Enlightened, one has the knowledge of everything. They know the past, present, and future, they know all. So, from a Buddhist perspective, if Buddha were real, he would have been finitely wise in the sense he knew everything of the universe, but since [I'm assuming] there is only a finite amount of information, it means he had a finite knowledge, but it was still greater than that of Jesus from a Buddhist view, as Jesus never attained "Enlightenment" or so I believe.

Light Travelling said:
You dont have to be a christian to study the teachings of Jesus. You dont have to be a buddhist to study the teachings of Buddha.

Carry on and study both. They are not mutually exlusive.
You don't have to be anything to study their teachings, but to be an Adherent you must be something

WMA said:
You don't have to be anything to study their teachings, but to be an Adherent you must be something

True - but when we become and adherent we tend to close our minds to other ideas / truths.

Study everything - become adherent of nothing.

Dont close the mind. We are all of us learning and evolvoing all our lives.

WMA said:
. Buddhist believe one should not have beliefs, as beliefs are a dangerous thing because they are thinking without learning, or something. .

This is impossible;

If buddha taught not to believe in something and a buddist believes what he says he straight away believes in something.

Believing in the teachings of Buddha is in itself a belief.

Saint said:
Can u advise me?

Choose Jesus since He is the only one who rose from the dead.

Back