'Jesus is Lord'

spidergoat said:
I thought it was a camel, since the quote derives from a low gate around a certian judean city through which it was impossible for invaders to ride swiftly into the city. The gate was referred to as "the needle".

yep, that is correct.

The needle was a small door within the bigger city gate that was the only door that was allowed to be used after nightfall. Once the large city gates where closed for the night for security reasons the only way late comers could enter into the city was through the Needle door. If the travellers arrived with a ladened camel it was imposable for them to get the ladened camel through the needle door, To get the camel through the door they had to unload all the baggage on the camel and make the camel kneel and make the camel walk through the door on it's knees. even then if the camel was large and well fed they would not be able to get through the needle door. Being left outside the security of the city gates after dark was a frightening experience in an area where lawlessness after dark was an ever present danger.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I would like to see one verified citation of this story, please. And a clear explanation of why Jesus, normally so clear, Universal and intelligent a speaker, would suddenly digress about camels squeezing through city gates, when the metaphorical message is 100% clear: the rich don't get into Heaven.

It does not matter because both interpritations demostrate the same principle. And Jesus did not say it was impossable for a rich man to get into heaven. He was saying that it is vary hard for a rich man to get to heaven.

Matthew 19
23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
25 When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?” 26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

Just for the record, I am still interested in some direct citation for the "eye of the needle" story described by Adstar.

In response to an earlier question, Adstar, I have a closer real quote about Bush. It was during the 2004 Election campaign that he was asked what his beliefs were by a group of Evangelicals. He said, "I have accepted Jesus as my personal saviour. I know what it means to be right with God." as quoted by Barbara Victor in The Last Crusade, just at the end of the chapter entitled "Being Right with God".

A quote but no recording?

As for the eye of the needle i do not know where i got that from i will have to ask around.

Adstar said:
A quote but no recording?
You wouldn't like me to point out the inappropriateness of a devout Christian rejecting something written only in a book and demanding proof in the form of a video, would you? I cited a written source, from a book, in the old fashioned way! Now if someone wants an "internet source" for George Bush having expressed Jesus as his saviour, they will find my post on the subject right here, with citation.

Back