Jesus: Hands or Wrists

chunkylover58 said:
Yeah....Him having been a Palestinian, I'd say he had a better chance of looking like a young Casey Kasem or Jamie Farr than Willem Defoe or Christian Bale.
M*W: Chunk, I have some Christian friends. (Yes, they do associate with me knowing my beliefs). I mentioned the other day about Jesus being a Palestinian, and several of my friends got irritated that I would dare think of Jesus as being from Palestine! Heck, I've known this since I was a little girl! They all were adamant that Jesus was from Israel. Well, I didn't want to get into an argument with them, but later a friend of mine told me that she didn't realize Jesus was from Palestine, and how she was concerned about the atrocities Israel was doing to the Palestinians! Hello!

I agree with you. I see that Jesus and his mommy would probably look like Jamie Farr or Casey Kasem or even Paul Anka or Neil Sedaka or Danny Thomas, but Jesus could possibly look like Billy Joel, Neil Diamond or Frank Zappa or even Jerry Stiller. Wouldn't that be a hoot? I'd like to think Jesus looked a little like Netanyahu, former president of Israel. Now that man is a good looking dude. Of course, he'd need to let his hair grow out. I don't think Jesus looked like Yassir Arafat, but who knows, maybe he does, or Miramir Qadaffi. I guess we'll never know, but it really doesn't matter. All that matters is what God looks like, and that would be us. We're mighty darn cute, aren't we?

Most of the Arabs living in Palestine are from Jordon. The word "Palestine" should not be used. The place was never called Palestine until the Romans changed the name after Jesus, so the correct term is "Isreal."

okinrus said:
Most of the Arabs living in Palestine are from Jordon. The word "Palestine" should not be used. The place was never called Palestine until the Romans changed the name after Jesus, so the correct term is "Isreal."

Wasn't it 63 BC when Rome incorporated Palestine? Did they wait nearly a century before changing the name? Just curious. Not entirely familiar with the history, so this is an attempt to learn something, not refute what you have to say.

I believe the original text (not the translations) uses a greek word that covers both hands and wrists.

Skylark said:
I believe the original text (not the translations) uses a greek word that covers both hands and wrists.

Yeah. I had heard the word that became "hand" in the translation meant an overall area from the tip of the middle finger to midway to the elbow.

My thoughts at this point are A. ropes for support, spikes in palms for spite or B. Spikes through the wrist/forearm area, as described in above definition of "hand," as only support. Not buying the palms only being able to support a man's weight for three days.

Wasn't it 63 BC when Rome incorporated Palestine? Did they wait nearly a century before changing the name? Just curious. Not entirely familiar with the history, so this is an attempt to learn something, not refute what you have to say.
I was under the impression that Rome did not change the name until after the second temple fell in 70AD. Their attempt to change the name was only a reaction to Jewish nationism. http://www.levitt.com/essays/palestine.html puts the date at 135AD

Well, it is certainly possible that today's palestinians contain much of the blood of the Jews 2000 years ago. Jesus probably did look palestinian.

I always thought Roman crucifixion was in the wrist. I heard that supposedly, if they nail a particular nerve in the wrist, it would cause some people to spasm so hard that they would snap their spine.

zonabi said:
go back and check it out? i would go back and save the man ! geez

Yeah zonabi. Me and you would have been crucified next to him.....how dare we stop the bloodshed...sho would pay for people's sins if we saved Jesus....The christian god seems to be bankrupt in mercy.

Well, it is certainly possible that today's palestinians contain much of the blood of the Jews 2000 years ago. Jesus probably did look palestinian.
Jews aren't supposed to intermary and intermarriage was not that common for Jews who fled durring the diaspora. So most of the palestinian Arabs are related to the Jews only through semetic or sumerian roots that Jews are also related to.

In every depiction of jesus i have seen he is nailed through the palm of the hand, the whole point of crucifiction being suffocation through the chest being pulled apart i would assume the feet wouldnt bare to much of the load, most of the weight was most likely on his hands as thats the points that pull the chest apart. Having said that they most probably used ropes aswel to hold him there, though i havent seen these on any depictions yet.

Back