Jesus and Eastern Influence?

It's not a valid comparison! I could just as easily say American and Australian aboriginals both had contact with extra-terrestrials from the planet Venus, it's just not verifiable yet. It's a pointless argument.

Nothing you said made the comparison invalid.....not even to the slightest, most remote extent...

The point was people can discover the same truths, and thus what they say will naturally be very very similar...

Did you really completely miss that, or chose to ignore it?
They traded with Indians and Chinese.
Do you understand the implications of that?
No, I get that the silk road was open. I don't think that necessarily means Jesus was exposed to Buddhism.
The Silk Road WAS open.
There were Chinese and Indian Spices in Rome at the time.
There was a statue of a Buddhist monk who burned himself to death in Alexandria.
Check the history - historians do not doubt that there was communication and exchange of goods and ideas between the Middle East and the Far East in Jesus' time.
I don't doubt it either. That doesn't mean that Jesus was exposed to these ideas. Think about modern America there has neer been so much information about other cultures available to people, right at their fingertips no less. Do you think that means the average CHristian in Kansas knows anything about Buddhism. Think about how much less this would have been back then.

I can't say for certain if Jesus knew Buddhists - hell, I can't say for certain that Jesus even existed - what I CAN say for certain is that people in the time and place where Jesus lived were aware of Buddhism.
Okay, but there's a massive jump from saying that to saying that Jesus was heavil influenced by Buddhism and there is not one drop of actual evidence that this was the case.

Because he wasn't a Buddhist.
I didn't say he was - I said it seems to me he was INFLUENCED by them.
DO you think the type of prayer Jesus was engaged would more accurately called meditation as we use these terms today? If Jesus was meditating what makes you think he couldn't have attained enlightenment?

Historical evidence of what?
That Buddhists were there at that place and time? Yes there is - plenty of it.
Okay
That Jesus was influenced by them? His words.
How come he never once mentioned how wise these Buddhists were then? Not a single mention anywhere. I don't see why religious practice wouldn't produce the same insights. All Buddhists really claim is that by living a moral life and meditating one gains certain insights. If Jesus was living a moral life and meditating why wouldn't he attain the same insights?

There is, because they were.
Have you researched thsi at all? I highly doubt it, because if you did, you would be aware of that it has been established and isn't even questioned by historians.
I'm not questioning that there may have been Buddhists in the Mideast at this time. What I am questioning is to what extent Jesus was exposed to it, especially in light of the fact that there is not a single reference anywhere that this actually occured

Why, then, are you so adamant about rejecting this?
Because there is no actual evidence that Jesus was influenced by Buddhists. You make it sound like Buddhists were a strong cultural force in the region. Second of all, if one boils Buddhism down to this all it essentially says is: if you live a moral life and meditate you will attain certain insights into the nature of reality. To the extent that Jesus was engaged in a moral life and meditating why would expect that he didn't attain these insights?
You seem to have some vested interest. What is it?
I just don't believe there is evidence that it occured. Why is there no mention anywhere? Including a historical record of someone at the time noting the similarities between Buddhism and Christ's teachings. As far as I know the similarities were never mentioned until sometime in the twentieth Century.

Nothing you said made the comparison invalid.....not even to the slightest, most remote extent...

The point was people can discover the same truths, and thus what they say will naturally be very very similar...

I'm growing a little tired of repeating myself, so I'll reiterate my sentiments for one final time: I have no objection to two separate cultures deriving the same interpretation from observable evidence. However, to postulate that two separate cultures could pull the same notion out of their arses, based upon nothing more than goats entrails and burnt chicken bones is beyound the bounds of credulity.

I'm growing a little tired of repeating myself, so I'll reiterate my sentiments for one final time: I have no objection to two separate cultures deriving the same interpretation from observable evidence. However, to postulate that two separate cultures could pull the same notion out of their arses, based upon nothing more than goats entrails and burnt chicken bones is beyound the bounds of credulity.

Why can't two separate cultures derive the same truth from unobservable evidence?

Because how would they know that what they had arrived at, was the correct concept of what "The Truth" is? As you said yourself "The Truth" is unverifiable. You are suggesting that two or more separate cultures, without influence upon one another, happened by coincidence to have arrived at the same view...

Last edited:
Okay, I did some research and it looks like it is more likely than I had previously thought that Jesus was actually directly influenced by Buddhism.
1) I still think it is possible that he developed his teachings independent of any buddhist influence.
2) Isn't it entirely possible that different cultures developed meditation? Different cultures developed sport, art, marriage etc. How do we know that spiritual practices did not develop independently as well. I think we agree that meditation is what makes a stable enlightenment state possible, and direct experience of enlightenment is at the base of Christianity/ Buddhism so I don't see it as impossible or even unlikey that this mode of perceiving the world developed independently. Especially when one considers that enlightenment experiences can happen spontaneously or from psychedelics. In fact, if one looks at shamanistic views of the universe that definitely had no contact with either Buddhsim or CHristianity they too have many similarities with Bud/Chri so it seems apparent that this belief system does develop independently.
3) Its interesting that the sect theraputae may have derived from theraveda. Seems to me that the word "therapy" could be etymologically derived from theravada.

Last edited:
Because how would they know that what they had arrived at, was the correct concept of what "The Truth" is?
Because if one meditates and observes the mind one gains certain insights into the nature of mind and reality.
As you said yourself "The Truth" is unverifiable. You are suggesting that two or more separate cultures, without influence upon one another, happened by coincidence to have arrived at the same view...

In so far as these truths are derived from observing the mind it wouldn't be a coincidence at all. At any rate, no matter how you cut it there are not competing "universal truths." All religions seem to agree on what this truth is...how do you account for that?

Because if one meditates and observes the mind one gains certain insights into the nature of mind and reality.
This seems very hazy to me at best. However, I still think you are missing my point. Suppose that I personally was to meditate and gain "insights into the nature of mind and reality". How would I judge that these insights bear any relation to my physical existence, when I have no means of testing or verifying them? Furthermore, how would I then know that they were the same insights that Joe Blogg's next door was experiencing, considering that there was no interaction between us?

All religions seem to agree on what this truth is...how do you account for that?
That all religions are either derived in some way from one another, or from a common source.

This seems very hazy to me at best. However, I still think you are missing my point. Suppose that I personally was to meditate and gain "insights into the nature of mind and reality". How would I judge that these insights bear any relation to my physical existence, when I have no means of testing or verifying them?
What do you mean? You seem to be saying that there is no way of having knowledge of mind or self.
Furthermore, how would I then know that they were the same insights that Joe Blogg's next door was experiencing, considering that there was no interaction between us?
Its similar to if years later a third party read your account and Joes account and saw that they were the same.

That all religions are either derived in some way from one another
Yes they are all derived from the common source of enlightend minds.

or from a common source.
The common conception is that there are many different religions which are all very different from each other. This misconception is used as evidence that there isn't a universal truth. The fact that it is a misconception is an argument in favor of universal truth.

What do you mean? You seem to be saying that there is no way of having knowledge of mind or self.
I'm sorry this all seems far too "New Agey" for me. :p If you define what you mean when you use the words "mind" and "self", and how you see them as relating to a hypothetical "Universal Truth", then I would be happy to explain.

Its similar to if years later a third party read your account and Joes account and saw that they were the same.
And what, statistically, would be the probability of our two accounts matching?

The common conception is that there are many different religions which are all very different from each other. This misconception is used as evidence that there isn't a universal truth. The fact that it is a misconception is an argument in favor of universal truth.
How Universal is this "Universal Truth", if it's global occurrence is all derived from one, historical, "Master Religion"?

Last edited:
What I am saying is that we have no way of knowing whether that knowledge bears any relation to a "Universal Truth".

What I am saying is that we have no way of knowing whether that knowledge bears any relation to a "Universal Truth".
I can definitely see where grover is coming from with this.

Reason.

Aside from the specific details that stem from cultural beliefs and Siddhartha's Vedic upbringing, all of the Dhamma could very well be realized by anyone with a solid grasp on reason and compassion.

There is nothing all that spectaular about what Siddhartha taught (again, aside from the more specific cultural beliefs - which differ from Jesu's teachings, anyway).

As I said, I DO believe that Jesus was influenced by Buddhism, but I also believe that what's at the very core of Buddhsim can be discovered through reason alone.

I'm sorry this all seems far too "New Agey" for me. :p If you define what you mean when you use the words "mind" and "self", and how you see them as relating to a hypothetical "Universal Truth", then I would be happy to explain.
The terms mind and self are new agey? Basically what I mean by these terms is subjective experience.

And what, statistically, would be the probability of our two accounts matching?
I don't know, astronomically small unless what they're accounts were some kind of objective truth.

How Universal is this "Universal Truth", if it's global occurrence is all derived from one, historical, "Master Religion"?
Many atheists use the argument that all religions are supposedly different as an argument in favor of them all being wrong. If the religions are all in agreement then the oppsite is true - that is an argument that they are all reflections of some kind of universal truth. Furthermore, even if Buddhism is this "master religion"(which there is no actual hard evidence for) then you still have to take into account the fact that Buddhism is a religion which is based on experience. Which is to say, there is no "blind faith" in buddhism. Everything which a buddhist claims to believe is based upon a direct personal insight. In other words, if all religions are really founded upon Buddhism then what we have is people observing the mind (meditation) and agreeing on what the nature of mind is, in other words agreement upon what the truth is based on observation. It doesn't matter if the Buddhism derived directly from Buddha(the name actually just means "awakened one") spread around the world or if different people at different times realized the same truths about mind and reality - all enlightenment(knowledge of true nature of mind) is buddhism - all religion is based upon elnlightenment experience and there is universal agreement upon the nature of this experience.

As I said, I DO believe that Jesus was influenced by Buddhism, but I also believe that what's at the very core of Buddhsim can be discovered through reason alone.
I have no disagreement with this statement as you use the term "reason", which means that whatever their discoveries are, they are based upon some measurable, observable aspect. What grover and VitalOne seem to advocate is a non-corporeal, philosophical "Truth".

Many atheists use the argument that all religions are supposedly different as an argument in favor of them all being wrong. If the religions are all in agreement then the oppsite is true - that is an argument that they are all reflections of some kind of universal truth
How can something be a "UNIVERSAL Truth" when it is derived from only one source?

I have no disagreement with this statement as you use the term "reason", which means that whatever their discoveries are, they are based upon some measurable, observable aspect. What grover and VitalOne seem to advocate is a non-corporeal, philosophical "Truth".
False. I am saying that Buddhism is as the science of mind, or the science of subjectivity. All of its truths are observable.

How can something be a "UNIVERSAL Truth" when it is derived from only one source?
If a scientist discovers an observable truth and tells it to other people it doesn't become less universally true just because it has one source. All the truths of buddhism can be verified by anyone. Blind faith is a bad thing in buddhism. Your not supposed to just accept what the Buddha said as true, the whole purpose is to veryify it oneself. The truths apply to all minds universally which is why it is universal truth.
Finally, whether or not Jesus was directly influenced by buddhism the simple fact is that these enlightenment experiences happen in all cultures and all times. So even if it could be proven beyond the shadow of doubt that Jesus was really a buddhist there would still be other cultures with the same systems of belief which had no contact with either christianity or buddhism.

I posted this in a different thread a little while back, and it seems pertinent to this discussion...

I'm not so sure.
Have you heard of Rupert Sheldrake?

While I disagree with Sheldrake's interpretation of "Morphogenic Fields" his research points to some sort of common consciousness or "pool of information" of some other mechanism of sharing information...

Excerpt from:
Memory And Morphogenetic Fields
by Robert Gilman
Originally published in IN CONTEXT #6, Summer 1984, Page 11 Copyright (c)1984, 1997 by Context Institute
http://twm.co.nz/shel_morfields.htm

In the meantime, the puzzles about memory have grown even stranger. This part of our story will take us to one of the most controversial frontiers of current science, although it actually starts back in 1920 when W. McDougall, a biologist at Harvard, began an experiment to see if animals (in this case white rats) could inherit learning. The procedure was to teach the rats a simple task (avoiding a lighted exit), record how fast they learned, breed another generation, teach them the same task, and see how their rate of learning compared with their elders. He carried the experiment through 34 generations and found that, indeed, each generation learned faster in flat contradiction to the usual Darwinian assumptions about heredity. Such a result naturally raised controversy, and similar experiments were run to prove or disprove the result. The last of these was done by W.E. Agar at Melbourne over a period of 20 years ending in 1954. Using the same general breed of rats, he found the same pattern of results that McDougall had but in addition he found that untrained rats used as a control group also learned faster in each new generation. (Curiously, he also found that his first generation of rats started at the same rate of learning as McDougall's last generation.) No one had a good explanation for why both trained and untrained should be learning faster, but since this result did not support the idea that learning was inherited, the biology community breathed a sigh of relief and considered the matter closed.

There it stayed until 1981 when another biologist, Rupert Sheldrake, proposed a radical new interpretation in his book, A New Science Of Life (Los Angeles: J.P. Tarcher, 1982). Sheldrake's larger concern was with what biologists have for years called "morphogenetic fields." Morphogenetic means "giving birth to form," and some biologists hypothesized that, in order to explain how plants and animals grow into the forms that they have, something more than just the usual rules of physics and chemistry was needed. They described this unknown something as a "morphogenetic field." Of course, other biologists thought this was all hogwash and were convinced that an appropriately detailed application of the rules of physics would explain all of biology. In recent decades most biologists held this second position, but Sheldrake may be changing all that.

What Sheldrake has done is threefold. He has linked the longstanding biological problems of form with similar problems in areas as diverse as crystal growth and psychology. He has proposed plausible rules for how morphogenetic fields might behave. And he has suggested how his theory could be tested and shown how existing experiments, like the McDougall-Agar series, support his theory.

--related info--
In 1920 William McDougall of Harvard began training rats to learn to escape from a water maze by choosing the correct exit. While the brightly lit exit would give them an electric shock, when they picked the dimly-lit exit, they got out undisturbed. McDougall found that the first generation of rats had to endure 165 shocks before getting the message. But by the 30th generation, only 20 transgressions were necessary to persuade the rats of the error in their way. (McDougall, 1938. British Journal of Psychology 28:321-345.)

McDougall assumed the rats were passing on acquired characteristics. Wishing to disprove this "Lamarckian" (and Darwinian) interpretation of the data, F. A. E. Crew replicated the experiment in Edinburgh. Right from the get-go, Crew's rats needed only 25 errors to learn their lesson, as if picking up where the Harvard rats had left off. (Crew, 1936. Journal of Genetics 33:61-101.)

In Melbourne, W. E. Agar found the same effect. His trials went on for over twenty years, and even when he tested control subjects that weren't descended from trained rats, they still showed improvement over the performance of previous generations. So it couldn't have been coming from their parents. (Agar, 1954. Journal of Experimental Biology 31:307-321.)
http://jeb.biologists.org/search.dtl

Acquired traits have often been observed to pass throughout a species with no known means of direct transfer from individual to individual. For instance, in England in the 20s a small bird known as the blue tit learned to open milk bottles at doorsteps. When one bird learned the trick, others in the area learned it by simple imitation. But the blue tit doesn't fly more than a few miles, and this habit spread to several widely disparate areas in England by 1935 and continued popping up in faraway places throughout the forties, including Scandinavia and Holland. The habit appeared independently at least 89 times in the British Isles, and the spread of the habit accelerated as time went on. (Fisher and Hinde, 1949. British Birds 42:347-357.) Milk bottles practically disappeared in Holland during the war, and by the time they returned all the birds that had been opening them before the war could not have survived to see their return. Yet the habit rapidly returned when the bottles were re-introduced in 1947.

Arden Mahlberg, a psychologist, carried out a test of the ability to learn Morse Code. He had one group of subjects learn actual Morse Code, while another had to learn a newly-invented code that closely resembled it. He found that subjects were able to learn the actual code far more rapidly than the alternative, and he interpreted this as evidence that the subjects
were resonating with the millions of people who had already learned Morse code. Each time he replicated the experiment, he found that the difference in learning time between Morse code and the new one progressively decreased. This might mean that the initial results were false. But the fact that the decrease was progressive suggests that the morphic resonance of the new code was becoming progressively stronger as more and more students learned it. (Mahlberg, 1987. Journal of Analytical Psychology 32:23-34.)

There've been a few experiments roughly along the lines you suggest. For instance, Gary Schwartz, a psychology professor at Yale, selected 48 words from the Hebrew Old Testament. He then scrambled these words to produce 48 more, none of which were real words in Hebrew. He asked test subjects to guess their meaning in English and then rate on a scale of 0 to 4 how confident they felt about whether they'd guessed the meaning correctly. The subjects reported feeling confident about their guesses 75% more often with the real Hebrew words than with the fakes.

Alan Pickering of Hatfield Polytechnic in England came up with a list of authentic Persian words and then created another list of fake words also written in Persian script. He would show each word to the test subjects for ten seconds, after which they would try to duplicate the word on paper. He found that his students were able to duplicate real Persian words more accurately than fake ones 75% of the time. He noted that the odds of achieving this result were 10,000 to 1. Like Schwartz, Pickering concluded that his results confirmed morphic resonance.

Guys, we can’t ignore the “Egyptian factor”. It is in the Bible that Jesus went to Egypt with his family at approximately age 2, and spent some years there until Herod the Great died. We don’t really know what happened between age 2 and age 30, but it seems very plausible that Jesus was influenced by the Therapeutae, which Greek word literally means “healers”, which was a Jewish community living close to Alexandria, right near the limits of the Roman Empire with Egypt.
It is known that near this are, the Therapeutae were unknowingly related to the Essenes, another highly ascetic Jewish sect devoted to God.
I don’t know if all this “soul-healing” originated from India or Egypt, but it is a fact that the esoteric teachings could have been related to any of those 2 sources. I personally think it was Egyptian knowledge slightly merged with Eastern influence.

It is know that for the Egyptians, Thot was the father of medicine, scripture, architecture, and all known esoteric teachings (some even say he built the pyramids). Its Greek translation “Hermes” and the translation to Greek of much of his attributed teachings implies the impact of this “God-man”.
It will never be known whether the teachings were of this man alone or a compilation of past knowledge attributed to solely one man. But it is known that this teachings were in Egypt by 4000 BC by fact, but is considered by most scholars to be dated from way before that time. Even the sphinx is a clue of the hidden knowledge of the Egyptians that was lost in antiquity.

Thot (Greek Hermes) is also referenced in many Egyptian & Greek sources to be the high priest of Atlantis and later the high priest of Egypt.
The Assyrians called Egypt “Muzr”, which means the divine source while the Hebrews called it “Mitzraim”, meaning the land of the birth place or origin since Egypt was the place of rebirth after Atlantis.

It was a known fact that the Egyptians believed in reincarnation, cause they even raised a temple dedicated to reincarnation. Not only reincarnation, but initiation and enlightment; the King of Egypt (Pharaoh) was only allowed to rule if he was an enlightened person, a conscient being; the Egyptians didn’t call it enlightment, but they revered the pharaoh as if he was God himself. The Heb-Seb festival celebrated at age 30 of every pharaoh, was the initiation of the pharaoh itself. Were the pharaoh became enlightened and “spoke to the Gods” for three days in order to get advice from God himself to the wise rule of Egypt. The pharaoh was placed in the coffin inside the pyramid of Keops for 3 straight days, without food or water. This was the ultimate test, 3 days is the stipulated time for a person that survives this conditions to attain enlightment or die, but the pharaoh was trained his whole life for this endeavor.

The knowledge was there, in India, Egypt, Greece and even with the ancient Mayans we can see hints of enlightened men; meaning all this hidden-knowledge had to come from an original source, or from different sources dedicated to the same truth. Atlantis maybe? We will never know, unless we remember past lives dated back to Atlantis, but even then, a few will believe...

S34egyptianR.jpg

Yes, it all comes from one source. That source is the enlightened mind. It doesn't matter whether one person developed a method for attaining enlightenment and then spread it around the world or if different groups developed these methods independently. The point is that the aim of all religion is enlightenment. The fact that this state of mind exists is undeniable and it is also undeniable that it is where religion comes from.

From what I have read, there was no connection between Buddhism and Jesus until many years after his death when a disciple founded a church in India.

there is this

a closer look at the prediction of Jesus found in the Bhavisya Purana strongly suggests foul play or interpolation on the part of Christian Missionaries in India during the late 18th century.

In 1784, the famous Indologist Sir William Jones wrote the following letter to Sir Warren Hastings, Governor General of India, confirming our suspicions.

"As to the general extension of our pure faith in Hindoostan there are at present many sad obstacles to it... We may assure ourselves, that Hindoos will never be converted by any mission from the church of Rome, or from any other church; and the only human mode, perhaps, of causing so great a revolution, will be to translate into Sanscrit... such chapters of the Prophets, particularly of ISAIAH, as are indisputably evangelical, together with one of the gospels, and a plain prefatory discourse, containing full evidence of the very distant ages, in which the predictions themselves, and the history of the Divine Person (Jesus) is predicted, were severally made public and then quietly to disperse the work among the well-educated natives." (Asiatic Researches Vol. 1. Published 1979, pages 234-235. First published 1788).

It may also be noted that throughout the Pratisarga-parva of the Bhavisya Purana we find the stories of Adam and Eve (Adhama and Havyavati), Noah (Nyuha), Moses (Musa), and other Biblical characters. These we also consider to be added by zealous Christians.

In conclusion, the Bhavisya Purana may well be a genuine Vedic scripture prophesying future events, but from the above analysis we can say with certainty that the Jesus episode of the Bhavisya Purana is not an authentic Vedic revelation.

Back