James R, Dark Matter, and Religion

But somewhat incorrect, or perhaps ill timed. This is not a "massive observational problem" as yet, since gravitic laws are consistent until you consider "the extreme macroscopic".

It is a more reasonable speculation that we are unable to detect the "missing matter" rather than shift gravitic laws since we have absolutely no evidence to either postulation.

If it is proven that dark matter is bunk, that is the appropriate time to revisit gravity.

As Cris said before, drop the faith in science nonsense. Admittedly this is as close as you'll get, but it is definitely not the same thing.

Cris:

Danke.

Enterprise-D:

But somewhat incorrect, or perhaps ill timed. This is not a "massive observational problem" as yet, since gravitic laws are consistent until you consider "the extreme macroscopic".

Whereas you are quite right to point out that the Newtonian conception of gravity is 99.99 percent right on normal levels, it remains a "major observational problem" on the macroscopic. It speaks of a fundamental flaw in gravitic theory and the Big Bang.

No one is suggesting we throw out the Inverse Square Law and other conceptions. But we must investigate gravity and the Big Bang from a radical viewpoint now. It just is completely invalid to consider the theories untouched by observation.

It is a more reasonable speculation that we are unable to detect the "missing matter" rather than shift gravitic laws since we have absolutely no evidence to either postulation.

An invisible substance that interacts with the no other force but gravity and accounts for -90 percent of the universe- is more reasonable than something we know to exist and have known for 400 years, but may have been fundamentally wrong in measuring?

We've been looking for dark matter, to no avail, for decades now. Not a single advance has truly been made. Is this not also evidence of a problem?

Thanks Godless for the links, but seriously; who's going to take anything that this guy says seriously? He's too ugly to have relevant points!

ericportrait.jpg

An invisible substance that interacts with the no other force but gravity and accounts for -90 percent of the universe- is more reasonable than something we know to exist and have known for 400 years, but may have been fundamentally wrong in measuring?

We've been looking for dark matter, to no avail, for decades now. Not a single advance has truly been made. Is this not also evidence of a problem?

We might be wrong in measuring, or perhaps our instrumentation flawed/inaccurate or whatever. Scientists will be the first to say so when they can justifiably prove it. Not when Prince James or Teet on a forum say they feel it's wrong in their gut.

But since this is a debate on religion forum, let's bring it back to this:

"Humans of varying degrees of theism have been looking for god, to no avail, for centuries on end. Not a single advance has truly been made. Is this not also evidence of a problem?"

Feel free to quote me on it. :p

Last edited:
Enterprise-D:

"Humans of varying degrees of theism have been looking for god, to no avail, for centuries on end. Not a single advance has truly been made. Is this not also evidence of a problem?"

Excluding the three major arguments for God, yes, the Theist has produced nothing and this is a huge discredit to the existence of God.

As of today, there has been no argument or physical evidence that prove god at all. None.

I'm reasonably certain that one of the three you mention is the ontological argument, which has been widely discredited and reasoned to be fallacious. What are the other two?

Last edited:
As of today, there has been no argument or physical evidence that prove god at all. None.

I'm reasonably certain that one of the three you mention is the ontological argument, which has been widely discredited and reasoned to be fallacious. What are the other two?

Who discredited Descartes' argument?

edit: Oh forget it, I remember the flaws now.

I think Aristotle's argument from motion is pretty good.

Enterprise-D:

The ontological argument can actually be defended exceedingly well. Kant's critique can be shown to be fallacious, and the "greatest island" is also flawed tremendously.

The other two classical arguments for God:

Aristotle's Prime Mover - God as the first cause.

The Teleological ARgument - God as designer.

All three have some flaws and some inappropriate employment. But they are nonetheless reasonably well done arguments for God's existence.

The argument from morality and the Mind-Body problem answers are also interesting, but far more filled with holes.

Enterprise-D:

The ontological argument can actually be defended exceedingly well. Kant's critique can be shown to be fallacious, and the "greatest island" is also flawed tremendously.

The ontological argument is a priori; it is a conceptual argument for a conceptual being, this is not empirical proof and/or observation. Further than this is endless speculation and brings no result - see also last sentence. (But theists I've met love the stalemate position anyway).

Aristotle's Prime Mover - God as the first cause.

1. Really a side note here: argument by appeal to authority. Aristotle is not necessarily correct because he's Aristotle

2. A beginning force does not even have to be alive far less intelligent or even omnipotent. The so called prime mover can also be the big bang. If one accepts a beginning force in the first place, that does not necessarily lead to the conclusion of the existence of any god.

3. A prime mover as defined by Aristotle wasn't "god" when he was conceiving this notion. Even if it were so...what was the mover that caused the prime mover to come to existence? More on such in the teleological argument.

The Teleological Argument - God as designer.

This is again an assumption. The assumption being that complexity requires design. Why? Existence of complexity does not automatically presume a designer. This preconceived notion comes only from our human perceptions OF design and execution. "Of course clothes can't design themselves" theists think "Therefore god exists"

Keep in mind that proponents of the teleological argument must prove that ONLY intelligent design can create ordered systems or the whole thing is bunk.

The Darwinian theory provides an alternative, reasonable and more logical explanation for complexities in nature. Does not necessarily mean that THIS is the truth, however it casts reasonable doubt upon the assumed existence of any god.

Also, the teleological argument does not hold for when you examine 'god' as a complex entity. Who designed god? And who designed god's designer? (infinite regression, and this can be applied to prime mover. Very related, these arguments)

And further, if god (a complex system) is not designed, why then must the universe (a complex system) require design?

All of these so called 'proofs' are not proofs. They all begin with fallacious and assumed opening arguments. It still stands that the search for god has produced no result, and yet billions still believe. Why fault science for attempting to prove a fairly logical hypothesis (an undiscovered mass that makes its presence known) while your 4 billion or so theist colleagues believe in a being that is completely hidden, has no effectual presence and without evidence?

The argument from morality and the Mind-Body problem answers are also interesting, but far more filled with holes.

Today's moral standards can be proven to actually frown upon those contained in religious texts..therefore today's morals do not come from those tomes. You know it, so I won't venture further into this one.

Mind-Body? If you mean the concept of I, that one has been done to death, argued and reargued in Lightee's thread (as has the ontological argument incidentally, in another of his threads). I think the various prevalent athiests handled both well enough.

Enterprise-D:

The ontological argument is a priori; it is a conceptual argument for a conceptual being, this is not empirical proof and/or observation. Further than this is endless speculation and brings no result - see also last sentence. (But theists I've met love the stalemate position anyway).

Presumably, Enterprise-D, God's attributes would preclude -empirical- verification, as opposed to rational verification. An infinite being could never be perceived as a whole.

1. Really a side note here: argument by appeal to authority. Aristotle is not necessarily correct because he's Aristotle

This wasn't an appeal to authority. This was a reference to whom formulated it.

2. A beginning force does not even have to be alive far less intelligent or even omnipotent. The so called prime mover can also be the big bang. If one accepts a beginning force in the first place, that does not necessarily lead to the conclusion of the existence of any god.

It would have to, at the very least, be necessary. Moreover, what else is omnipotence but "setting everything in motion"?

3. A prime mover as defined by Aristotle wasn't "god" when he was conceiving this notion. Even if it were so...what was the mover that caused the prime mover to come to existence? More on such in the teleological argument.

Arguments can be made for the necessity of it without reference to a "higher mover". Although yes, that is a flaw, and requires a complification of the argument.

Keep in mind that proponents of the teleological argument must prove that ONLY intelligent design can create ordered systems or the whole thing is bunk.

Actually, I think proving that it is possible would be enough, no?

The Darwinian theory provides an alternative, reasonable and more logical explanation for complexities in nature. Does not necessarily mean that THIS is the truth, however it casts reasonable doubt upon the assumed existence of any god.

Well technically, Darwinian evolution is incapable of proving away an intervening God guiding the process.

Also, the teleological argument does not hold for when you examine 'god' as a complex entity. Who designed god? And who designed god's designer? (infinite regression, and this can be applied to prime mover. Very related, these arguments)

Again, arguments can be made for necessity.

And further, if god (a complex system) is not designed, why then must the universe (a complex system) require design?

Actually, as a necessary being, would not this be the definition of simple?

All of these so called 'proofs' are not proofs. They all begin with fallacious and assumed opening arguments. It still stands that the search for god has produced no result, and yet billions still believe. Why fault science for attempting to prove a fairly logical hypothesis (an undiscovered mass that makes its presence known) while your 4 billion or so theist colleagues believe in a being that is completely hidden, has no effectual presence and without evidence?

They aren't my colleagues - I am not a theist.

Moreover, the difference is that science is supposed to be about empiricism. The attachment to both dark matter and the Big Bang seem anti-empirical.

Today's moral standards can be proven to actually frown upon those contained in religious texts..therefore today's morals do not come from those tomes. You know it, so I won't venture further into this one.

Assuming a positive answer to the Euthypro argument "yes, it is good because the Gods say it is", the argument from morality follows.

God is the source of morality.
Morality exists.
A thing cannot exist withou its source.
Therefore, God exists.

Mind-Body? If you mean the concept of I, that one has been done to death, argued and reargued in Lightee's thread (as has the ontological argument incidentally, in another of his threads). I think the various prevalent athiests handled both well enough.

Actually, the Atheists did a terrible job on the Ontological Argument. And DUalism is an utterly valid metaphysical system - nothing thus far has demonstrated its falsehood and there is reason to suspect its true hood. This would lead towards the Mind-Body problem,t hough, which requires some answer. Leibniz's is just unsatisfactory as it seems arbitrary, as does the other.

So let's drop this faith hogwash regarding science. Individual scientists will make speculations about what might be possible - its is not part of science to assert that such things are true (i.e. faith). A speculation is not the same thing as a faith based assertion.

As we see here science has not claimed there is a proof - there is just heated discussions among experts - the jury is still out and there are no signs they will be returning anytime soon.

Good point!

I really must say: This is a rather damning indictment of a religious-esque pronouncement by James R. and the scientific community.

Which religious-esque pronouncement of mine?

Why has not our conception of gravity been radically altered to accept the influx of data to show that it fails at the extreme macroscopic? Or the Big Bang thrown out due to observable faults?

What observable faults? What data which shows failure at the extreme macroscopic?

It is rather like "Cosmic Inflation", which by the way, violates C...

That's a non-problem. Nothing in relativity says that spacetime cannot expand faster than the speed of light.

Seems to me that the dark matter idea comes from those that are first assuming that BB is true and then trying to make everything else fit that.

Actually, dark matter need have nothing to do with the big bang theory.

The original need for dark matter came from the study of galactic rotation curves, which have nothing at all to do with the big bang.

Cris said:
If the rules of how gravity operates are just very slightly different from what we think then this whole invisible dark matter and dark energy idea simply evaporates.

If the solution was that simple, why do you think that physicists are still spending millions of dollars searching for dark matter? Sheer bloody-mindedness?

Given there has to be so much of it and absolutely no detection then it doesn't seem to be such a credible idea.

Many experiments are currently in the process of preparation, being built specifically in order to either verify or rule out dark matter. Just because we don't have the answer right now doesn't mean we won't have it in a couple of years time. What makes you so sure that physicists are idiots?

The claims of proof are very premature.

What claims of proof?

But brings us back to the idea of a god. Here we see something similar - start with the assumption that a god exists then try to make everything else fit that idea.

You ought to be aware that dark matter is only one hypothesis that physicists are working with. In fact, their minds are much more open than you imagine. Many modifications to Newtonian gravity or general relativity have been proposed, tested and rejected on the basis of evidence. Some are still possible but as yet untested. Dark matter is one more avenue of research.

It seems to me that it is you who is starting from the assumption that there is no dark matter, based on nothing by your prior prejudice which comes from who knows where. Thus, you refuse to keep an open mind.

Enterprise-D:
Presumably, Enterprise-D, God's attributes would preclude -empirical- verification, as opposed to rational verification. An infinite being could never be perceived as a whole.

Why? Empirical verification can simply mean undeniable sight of existence. Why can't an infinite being be perceived? You assume omnipotence requires infinity.

Conversational: maybe an omnipotent being is infinite. An omnipotent being however can limit its appearance.

It would have to, at the very least, be necessary. Moreover, what else is omnipotence but "setting everything in motion"?

Arguments can be made for the necessity of it without reference to a "higher mover". Although yes, that is a flaw, and requires a complification of the argument.

It's a flaw, therefore hardly a complete or logical argument. Since is is incomplete and/or illogical, it hardly holds as "proof".

Omnipotence is not "setting everything in motion". Where did you pull that definition from? Omnipotence is having the ability to accomplish anything. Why however does that mean that an omnipotent being STARTED anything.

Actually, I think proving that it is possible would be enough, no?

Proof of possibility (of ID) is not proof of reality.

Well technically, Darwinian evolution is incapable of proving away an intervening God guiding the process.

It casts reasonable doubt, since by definition darwin's theory is independent of any "supreme guidance" thereby proving that ID isn't the 'absolute' solution. Bear in mind that ID is another name for creationism with a few sciency sounding words thrown in.

Again, arguments can be made for necessity.

See above.

Actually, as a necessary being, would not this be the definition of simple?

Why?

They aren't my colleagues - I am not a theist.

Apologies. Then why bother to even try to substantiate these irrelevant and waterless arguments?

Moreover, the difference is that science is supposed to be about empiricism. The attachment to both dark matter and the Big Bang seem anti-empirical.

That's why it is not offered as factual.

Assuming a positive answer to the Euthypro argument "yes, it is good because the Gods say it is", the argument from morality follows.

God is the source of morality.
Morality exists.
A thing cannot exist withou its source.
Therefore, God exists.

Huge assumptions. Major assumptions. Massive assumptions. Unjustifiable assumptions. Assumptions with far reaching ramifications.

For example:

"assuming a positive answer to..." your whole argument wishes its listeners to accept an assumption

"a thing cannot exist without its source". So when old people die, their children die too? When a car's factory shuts down, does the car disappear? When a given amount of Na and Cl are combined, would the resulting salt be instantly destroyed because the Na and Cl no longer exist as elements? Will this post disappear when I log off and get back to work?

Actually, the Atheists did a terrible job on the Ontological Argument. And DUalism is an utterly valid metaphysical system - nothing thus far has demonstrated its falsehood and there is reason to suspect its true hood. This would lead towards the Mind-Body problem,t hough, which requires some answer. Leibniz's is just unsatisfactory as it seems arbitrary, as does the other.

The ontological argument is bunk. It requires assumption, and too much human perception and (bad) judgement. For example, why do these humans think they are hopped up enough that they can even conceive the "greatest" being" ever? And who says the "greatest being" ever can't expire or cease somehow? And why would the "greatest being" even bother to create any bioligical entities for the sole purpose of worshipping it...a need to stroke an ego is definitely NOT one of the properties I would ascribe to the "greatest being" ever conceived.

I don't know much about dualism (and use of the word 'utterly' doesn't add any validity to the philosophy)...however

1a. all of these "metaphysical" systems seem to be methods of trying to fit paranormal and the unexplained into everyday logic. Or else why bother to invent the word "metaphysical"

1b. Conversational: why the rush to explain the unexplained? Scientific exploration will get to it soon.

2. Demonstration of falsehood does not automatically mean truth. Suspicion of truth is still suspicion. Not evidence.

James R:

Opening post.

What observable faults? What data which shows failure at the extreme macroscopic?

Larger universe than expected from the Big Bang model. 90 percent of the mass missing. No known explanation for the heterogenous mass concentration of the universe. Some discrepancies in redshift and quasers being too young.

That's a non-problem. Nothing in relativity says that spacetime cannot expand faster than the speed of light.

1. Space time is a "substance" which is energetic in nature. Energy propogates at a maximum of C.

2. There is no known way for spacetime to expand past C. Nor is this experimentally verifiable.

Enterprise-D:

Why? Empirical verification can simply mean undeniable sight of existence. Why can't an infinite being be perceived? You assume omnipotence requires infinity.

Ask yourself whether you can see the end of an infinite line. If you can't, then you see why God is empricially unobservable. There is no way to prove any of his attribute sby reference to the senses.

This was also not in regards to omnipotence, but to omnipresence and existence.

Conversational: maybe an omnipotent being is infinite. An omnipotent being however can limit its appearance.

No infinite being can limits its appearance. This is an absurdity. This would require a limitation of that which has no limits to constrict.

It's a flaw, therefore hardly a complete or logical argument. Since is is incomplete and/or illogical, it hardly holds as "proof".

The flaw is in its lack of simplicity compared to another argument, not in the argument itself. ONe would ideally want to be able tos ummarize an argument for God without extensive lines of argument. This cannot be provided by a system that address the Primve Mover correctly.

Omnipotence is not "setting everything in motion". Where did you pull that definition from? Omnipotence is having the ability to accomplish anything. Why however does that mean that an omnipotent being STARTED anything.

As LightGigantic has pointed out: If there is other power in the universe, then one is not omnipotent. Omnipotence requires complete and utter power belonging to oneself.

Moreover, it is certainly an act of omnipotence to set -everything- in motion. This requires infinite exertion.

Proof of possibility (of ID) is not proof of reality.

It places on a rational level of discussion.

It casts reasonable doubt, since by definition darwin's theory is independent of any "supreme guidance" thereby proving that ID isn't the 'absolute' solution. Bear in mind that ID is another name for creationism with a few sciency sounding words thrown in.

Actually, there is nothing in Darwinian evolution that requires independence from supreme guidance whatsoever. Just that is the most reasonable thing to suspect, as there is no positive evidence for a watcher.

All contingent things are necessarily more complicated than a necessary thing, because they require the existence of perhaps an infinite variety of other things, as well as no firm basis for their existence. To discuss a contingent thing one must address empirical evidence, whereas a necessary thing is capable of being known a priori.

Apologies. Then why bother to even try to substantiate these irrelevant and waterless arguments?

Philosophical rigour and a respect for great thinkers, both Atheists and Theists, alike. Also, some of the definitions of God certainly apply to existence as a whole. Any reasonable ontology and metaphysics requires such considerations.

That's why it is not offered as factual.

At times, they sure seem to be "jumping the gun".

Huge assumptions. Major assumptions. Massive assumptions. Unjustifiable assumptions. Assumptions with far reaching ramifications.

I agree. But it is a valid argument -if- the Euthypro argument can be dealt with.

"a thing cannot exist without its source". So when old people die, their children die too? When a car's factory shuts down, does the car disappear? When a given amount of Na and Cl are combined, would the resulting salt be instantly destroyed because the Na and Cl no longer exist as elements? Will this post disappear when I log off and get back to work?

Amend it to read "a thing cannot exist without its source's existence at the time of the causal event which created it."

The ontological argument is bunk. It requires assumption, and too much human perception and (bad) judgement.

Actually, it requires no assumption whatsoever. It is a pure a priori proof of God, which makes it so appealing because it requires nothing but necessity to discuss.

For example, why do these humans think they are hopped up enough that they can even conceive the "greatest" being" ever?

Easily: Logical extremes. For nistance, omnipresence is a matter of an infinite scope of existence.

And who says the "greatest being" ever can't expire or cease somehow?

The greatest being would have to be necessary, which means eternal.

And why would the "greatest being" even bother to create any bioligical entities for the sole purpose of worshipping it...a need to stroke an ego is definitely NOT one of the properties I would ascribe to the "greatest being" ever conceived.

That isn't an attribute of God - that is an attribute of Judeo-Christianity. In essence, worship is not here being discussed.

1a. all of these "metaphysical" systems seem to be methods of trying to fit paranormal and the unexplained into everyday logic. Or else why bother to invent the word "metaphysical"

Metaphysics has nothing to do with the paranormal or supernatural. Those are parapsychological considerations. Metaphysics means "after physics". It stems from a work by an untitled Aristotle which was catalogued at Alexandria after physics, hence, "metaphysics". It has since become a discipline of philosophic study which includes theology, ontology, and first principles.

Dualism is the metaphysical proposition that there exists two substances: The mental and the material. Descartes is probably the most well known dualist.

And Enterprise-D, for the record?

Kirk was the best Star Trek captain.

^ The only topic more contentious than the debate over God.

Janeway is...(not besmirching my own J.L. Picard commanding officer..but Janeway's just the bomb! :) )

However...as TW might attest to...the only topic more contentious than a debate over god is Trek v. Wars.....

Answering your long post soon

Prince_James:

Opening post.

You mean this:

James R said:
It's simple. If God acts in the universe, then he must leave physical signs of his actions. If there are physical signs, then they are susceptible to scientific study. Without any such physical effects, there's no need to invoke the existence of a god.

Do you disagree?

Prince_James said:
Larger universe than expected from the Big Bang model.

Not with inflation.

90 percent of the mass missing.

Not if dark matter exists.

No known explanation for the heterogenous mass concentration of the universe.

You seem to be unaware of the mass of research in the field.

Some discrepancies in redshift and quasers being too young.

You'd need to be more specific.

1. Space time is a "substance" which is energetic in nature.

No it isn't.

2. There is no known way for spacetime to expand past C.

Do at least the mimimal amount of reading on cosmological models, or you'll continue to make yourself look like an idiot.

Nor is this experimentally verifiable.

It is already verified by observation.

James R.:

Do you disagree?

Not necessarily. Theoretically, a God could act outside the laws of physics, which could make an empirical verification of the act impossible with any current or future understanding of physics. Assuming, however, that such is possible.

But actually, I should have been more specific in my critique. The OP shows a quote from you, then places it side-by-side with bolded and red-lettered text to show a discrepancy with your viewpoint and apparently some pronouncements of science. What do you think of that?

Not with inflation.

Inflation was pushed onto the Big Bang model basically to account for the discrepancy. There has been no empirical verification of the model and very little reason to suggest that it occurred. Indeed, the Big Bang Model failed miserably and instead of abandoning it like they should've, they put in a pet theory which basically destroys the entire premise of the Big Bang to begin with.

Not if dark matter exists.

No proof of dark matter after 30+ years of research. It also includes remarkable faith in the current conception of gravity and the big bang to warrant a belief in dark matter without any degree of proof of its existence. It is, again, another sign of paradigm-resistance in current scientific thought.

You seem to be unaware of the mass of research in the field.

So far they have not been able to offer any observable evidence, although there is ongoing research, yes.

You'd need to be more specific.

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0104349

"We also show that objects at a constant proper distance will have a nonzero redshift; receding galaxies can be blueshifted and approaching galaxies can be redshifted."

I'd have to search more for some info on quasars and the apparnet problems with their redshfit being caused by great distance, when they seem to have strong interactions with what they appear to be in. But here are some more problems that physics have so far addressed, all which could warrant massive reconceptions of physics to solve:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsolved_problems_in_physics

No it isn't.

Um, yes it is? 1. Gravity effects it. 2. It has a vacuum, non-zero, energy which is also mandated by Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. 3. It is the media in which electromagnetism propogates.

Do at least the mimimal amount of reading on cosmological models, or you'll continue to make yourself look like an idiot.

Cosmic inflation has given -no- means whereby space can expand past C. At all. No method has been shown to allow for this and no known mechanism gave rise to inflation. It is assumed that some theories will resolve this, but so far, zilch. The theory does predict some aspects of the observable universe, but this mystery undermines its key components dramatically.

"In the early proposal of Guth, it was thought that the inflaton was the Higgs field, the field which explains the mass of the elementary particles.[2] It is now known that the inflaton cannot be the Higgs field. Other models of inflation relied on the properties of grand unified theories.[4] Since the simplest models of grand unification have failed, it is now thought by many physicists that inflation will be included in a supersymmetric theory like string theory or a supersymmetric grand unified theory. A promising suggestion is brane inflation. At present, however, inflation is understood principally by its detailed predictions of the initial conditions for the hot early universe, and the particle physics is largely ad hoc modelling. As such, despite the stringent observational tests inflation has passed, there are many open questions about the theory." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflationary_model

The bolding was added by me for emphasis. This demonstrates a currently -extremely- poor foundation fo the theory. That it observes somethings in accords with the universe only gives part of it validity. Its main theoretical rivals also satisfy most of the same - if not all of the same - observational results.

It is already verified by observation.

Viable rivals to the theory = Not verified by observation.

Prince_James:

Not necessarily. Theoretically, a God could act outside the laws of physics, which could make an empirical verification of the act impossible with any current or future understanding of physics.

No such act has ever been observed which has left any kind of evidence that can be examined, however.

But actually, I should have been more specific in my critique. The OP shows a quote from you, then places it side-by-side with bolded and red-lettered text to show a discrepancy with your viewpoint and apparently some pronouncements of science. What do you think of that?

Well, let's look at that red text:

While the scientists are still not sure exactly what dark matter is, since they have yet to identify it in a laboratory, they said that the workings of the universe cannot be explained without it.

So, this particular group of scientists thinks very highly of dark matter. Personally, I'm keeping an open mind about it. Perhaps dark matter will turn out to be the correct explanation; perhaps it won't. Perhaps if I was an astrophysicist I would have a firmer, more informed opinion. But then, you're not an astrophysicist either.

"These results are direct proof that dark matter exists."

If that's true, then it's good news for astronomy, because it solves a long-standing puzzle. I haven't looked at the results, myself, and don't know if I'd be qualified to interpret them anyway, since I'm not an expert in the field. I'm happy to let those who are experts mull over these results. Why aren't you? Why do you want to prejudge the data?

While the theoretical existence of dark matter has been broadly embraced for years -- and has now been further endorsed by some of the most prominent researchers and institutions in the field -- a strong counter theory has also grown, contending that the laws of gravity established by Newton and Einstein need modification. The group supporting this theory believes that a relatively limited tweaking of those laws, especially as they pertain to the massive nature of faraway galaxies, could explain the missing gravity better than could undetectable dark matter.

So, another group has a different theory. Is there data to support their theory, and distinguish it from dark matter? Which theory is better, based on the observations? If neither can be clearly ruled out, then the scientific approach is not to rule out either of them, but to keep an open mind, pending better data. Agreed?

The NASA-affiliated team that announced its findings yesterday said that the next step in trying to understand dark matter (and related dark energy) is, in fact, to identify it in a laboratory. That task has proved difficult so far, they said, because dark matter leaves no detectable traces, except to create a gravitational pull.

It depends what you think dark matter might be, I think.

----

Back to your post...

Inflation was pushed onto the Big Bang model basically to account for the discrepancy.

Inflation solves a number of separate problems, in fact.

There has been no empirical verification of the model and very little reason to suggest that it occurred.

I'm not sure, but I think you are probably wrong about this. Do you follow the astrophysical literature?

It also includes remarkable faith in the current conception of gravity and the big bang to warrant a belief in dark matter without any degree of proof of its existence.

I think you've missed the point that I made earlier: dark matter is one hypothesis under investigation, not the only one. There's no "faith" or "belief" in dark matter. People are working very hard to either prove or disprove it, but right now the question is still open.

Um, yes [space] is [energy]. 1. Gravity effects it.

No. Gravity is it.

2. It has a vacuum, non-zero, energy which is also mandated by Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.

There are vacuum fluctuations in spacetime, but not of spacetime.* They are two different things.

3. It is the media in which electromagnetism propogates.

Einstein got rid of the need for an "ether" a century ago. Electromagnetism propagates in free space, which is not a medium.

Cosmic inflation has given -no- means whereby space can expand past C. At all.

Every Robertson-Walker metric gives exactly the means you claim does not exist. As I suggested, you might want to look up a text on general relativity. Anything titled "Introduction to general relativity" will do for a start.

No method has been shown to allow for this and no known mechanism gave rise to inflation.

In fact, Alan Guth's original proposal gave a mechanism. Look up "false vacuum".

It is assumed that some theories will resolve this, but so far, zilch.

As far as you know.

"In the early proposal of Guth, it was thought that the inflaton was the Higgs field, the field which explains the mass of the elementary particles.[2] It is now known that the inflaton cannot be the Higgs field. Other models of inflation relied on the properties of grand unified theories.[4] Since the simplest models of grand unification have failed, it is now thought by many physicists that inflation will be included in a supersymmetric theory like string theory or a supersymmetric grand unified theory. A promising suggestion is brane inflation. At present, however, inflation is understood principally by its detailed predictions of the initial conditions for the hot early universe, and the particle physics is largely ad hoc modelling. As such, despite the stringent observational tests inflation has passed, there are many open questions about the theory." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflationary_model

I agree.

This doesn't disprove inflation or the big bang or dark matter, you realise.

The bolding was added by me for emphasis. This demonstrates a currently -extremely- poor foundation fo the theory.

No. It merely suggests there is much work still to be done to get to the bottom of a difficult problem.

Back