it's time we dropped the label - the problem with atheism

While it would be wonderful to not have a label, the label will remain as long as atheists are a minority. Labels are only used to designate devaition from the norm.

For example, I do not think I have ever heard the word "theist" used except in this religion forum. A person need not be labeled a a theist--if they are not labeled as an atheist, it is assumed they are a theist. Only recently has the label "straight" become used to be more politically correct. The label is still rarely used--the person is either labeled as homosexual or else has no label and is assumed straight.

To expand on the label of racist, this label actually reversed, and i think that something of this sort will eventually happen with atheism. A few hundred years ago, a majority thought blacks were inferior and should be slaves. For the sake of the analogy, I am going to equate pro-slavery with racism. When slavery and racism was the norm, racists needed no label, instead, it was the non-racists, or abolitionists, who were labeled. Once racism and slavery were not the majority opinion, the label "racist" emerged and the label "non-racist" or abolitionist disappeared.

So we atheists will continue to be labeled for the reason all deviations from the norm are labeled, to emphasize that we are "not normal" or "different" in society's eye. It is unfortunately inevitable. Whenever a discussion becomes somehow religious in nature or even if it is scientific and we talk about supporting evolution or something than the question inevitably comes up "uhh, are you an atheist?" I have never been talking with someone when their religious beliefs become apparent and ask "uhh are you a theist?" If and when atheism is the norm and belief in god is different, the label will disappear, and it will not disappear until then.

What do you say when asked? I say "no" and try to drop it but you know theists. Sooner or later you are going to have to explain your rationality. The the "A" word comes up.
I say Im non-religious when theists are polite,friendly.
however if they get obnoxious with their propaganda its fng gloves off ... :D

geeser,

Great article, thanks for posting it.

is it time we dropped the label
Yes. Definitely.

Will the label go away anytime soon? No.

Theists will continue to use the label and apply it to others because their scriptures use it to describe what they see as the unfortunates who no not believe as they do.

Our problem is that if we apply the label to ourselves it instantly brings up pre-conditioned theist teachings of what they think atheism means. I've lost count now of the number of times new members here raise their fallacious pre-conceptions and their deceitful conditioning of what atheism means and we have to explain its definition and so on and so on. Even there the idea of strong and weak is somewhat dissatisfying, and there is no consistency with dictionary definitions.

I haven't applied the label to myself for a long time and my perspectives on religion and mysticism go far beyond just a disbelief in gods, but instead are focused on reason versus faith as Sam Harris emphasizes. For example my arguments against the soul concept, which I think is more crucial than theism, applies to nearly all religions and superstitions and not just theistic religions.

The term Bright was an attempt to capture that essence of reasoned thought as a group of like minded people who embrace far more than the term atheism could portray. But even though I have toyed with adopting that label I simply cannot bring myself to tell someone I am a Bright. It feels inherently foolish and I don’t believe it is necessary. I fully endorse Sam’s perspective that we do not need to use any label. The issues are about reasoned thought versus irrationalism, and that encompasses a basic approach to all of life and not just mysticism.

The article is timely since it helps me coalesce in my mind a conclusion that I had been swiftly approaching. I also admit that I have been very hesitant throughout my life and here about adopting the label of atheist since I have always been aware of its inconsistent perceptions by theists. So from here on out I won’t respond to the label but will pursue with a renewed focus the basis of reasoned thought that has always been my real perspective.

Photizo,

Great piece. He's taken the first steps toward God...i.e. by being honest with himself about 'life' as it is sans a connection with/to God...the angst he describes in the article is nothing more than the onset of labor associated with becoming born again. Let's pray it doesn't end in a miscarriage.
Well you are consistently one track minded and closed minded to anything other than a god is the answer to everything.

But unfortunately you have missed his fundamental message – that our consciousness is really quite remarkable and that it is capable of providing us much greater satisfaction than we give it credit. There was nothing mystical implied here, quite the reverse.

The fact that everyone can identify with this angst he describes--if they will but honestly look at theimselves and their so called 'life'-- shows just how pervasive the denial is on the part of humanity concerning their latent desire for God...and how they tend to to meet this desire unsuccessfully through use of physical means: food, sex, travel, etc.
No, the god concept is the paramount fantasy of the ignorant and is a major distraction from achieving what Sam suggests.

That 'itch' can only be scratched...that connection to God can only be made... through a combination of the physical and spiritual: The God-Man Jesus Christ.
Pity that prisons throughout the world reflect the same proportion of believers to unbelievers as it does in the outside world. It would appear that being religious doesn’t satisfy that itch anymore than being an unbeliever. But it is worse; many Christians suffer great pangs of guilt because they imagine how sinful they are. Unbelievers have no such hang-ups. Certainly when I gave up Christianity it was like a major weight being lifted from me.

Back