Is voting a moral duty?

You are seriously deluded if you think my refusal to vote will make the world better off.

....What I where did that come from? Are you just projecting again? I told you I'm not interested why

Oh, I'm sorry. And by eating my "tubby toast" - what exactly were you talking about?

I like how we have the option to vote. I vote, and the great majority of people I know who dont vote are so uniformed about the issues that I am glad they dont vote. I also believe however, that if you bitch about your government but do nothing about it you just need to shut the hell up.
To me, the moral duty is if you're going to vote, be informed. It's far better to not vote at all then to go in and vote randomly.

In the primaries last year I researched the issues and selected the best candidates for city council. Guess who won the primary. The top three names. They were placed there due to alphabetical order.

That really pissed me off. There were like 12 people running for the three slots, and the top three won!

If you're going to vote, put some time in to be informed, don't just vote for the guy who's name is on top!

Yes, I would prefer that voters know the issues and the candidates instead of just picking a name.

Now, you're making up fake quotes. That's the sign of a true evil genius. You should rally with Oprah.

YES goddammit, it is a moral duty.

If you think the state of the democratic process is shit, register that by fucking up your vote so it doesn't count.

You should vote, so that your voice is heard in government and so that the government represents the interests of people like you. However, in the U.S. among 200 million other voters, our votes really don't mean squat.

In Australia right now there is still an argument going on over one particular parliamentary seat, where on the latest count the sitting member will be decided by a margin of 5 votes, out of a total of about 80,000 cast in that electorate.

In other words, if just six people said "It doesn't matter who I vote for, so I'll vote informal, or not vote at all, or donkey vote" the result might well have been different.

20 voters or 200 million voters - the winner is still decided by the majority, and all votes count.

James R said:

In other words, if just six people said "It doesn't matter who I vote for, so I'll vote informal, or not vote at all, or donkey vote" the result might well have been different.

There was a time, a few years ago, when a Seattle monorail issue was on the ballot. Two days after the election, the issue had not yet been decided. At the end of business that day, the difference was three votes. While that margin would not hold, it was a curious moment sitting around and smoking a bowl; we had, between one "no" vote and two non-voters, the entire difference in that election sitting in one room.

Go down to a pub in that jurisdiction right now, and you can probably find the whole difference in the election waiting on the next round.

There was a time, a few years ago, when a Seattle monorail issue was on the ballot. Two days after the election, the issue had not yet been decided. At the end of business that day, the difference was three votes. While that margin would not hold, it was a curious moment sitting around and smoking a bowl; we had, between one "no" vote and two non-voters, the entire difference in that election sitting in one room.

Go down to a pub in that jurisdiction right now, and you can probably find the whole difference in the election waiting on the next round.
That's the only kind of situation where we have democracy those days. But when it comes to elections.... well it's worthless. First of all, the person who you elect might not keep their promise. Second, you have to choose between 2 people (you call that a choice?). Finally, you don't really have a say- lobbysts who work for large corporation have a say.

Back