Is this an ethical style of management?

Lying is NO BIG DEAL!

Baron Max[/QUOTE]

You can always advise the employee that if they are unhappy with your reprimand or with the manner in which you delivered it or the reasons behind it, that they are free to approach the manager themselves with any such concern.:)

But really, aren't you taking this a bit seriously? This is how it is in the real world. We are at times forced into doing something we don't want to do or feel is right. If you aren't happy about your treatment, file a complaint with higher management. As for threatening to make them pay. Pay what exactly? The manager delegated his/her responsibilities to you. Now you must deal with it. It's how it's done in the big bad world.

You are being forced to lie in circumstance where the employee will have suspcion about your true motives. I have no problem executing the reprimand, but I will tell the employee who instructed it. It is that simple.

If you do not answer.....

Why does he have to answer it?
Baron Max
If he/she fails to answer, it may harm their relationship. Not answering the question, indicates that he/she refuses to be up front with the worker. The store manager is directly responsible for this outcome. A good leader would tell the truth.
Furthermore, a decent store manager would have allowed the assistant to tell the truth.

Last edited:
Disobeying unethical instructions is ethical

But isn't that going against your own ideals of ethics?

Baron Max
Baron, in what way? It was unethical to instruct the assistant manager to conceal the fact that the reprimand was executed essentially because of the store manager's command. Are we to follow commands that violate ethical standards? Do you justify this type of behavior? Do you believe that integrity is an important part of running a business?

Would you want to work for a company like this?

Huggins293:

People do not care about relatively minor things like this. If there was a rat pissing in the kitchen, or someone was pocketing funds, that'd be different.

Applicants who thought about working for this company will care. Furthermore, if this information is sperad strongly throughout the media, this will discourage many workers in the company in pursuing managment careers. Would you want to work in management for a company who encourages these type of tactics? Most people would not.

This is how it is in the real world. We are at times forced into doing something we don't want to do or feel is right. If you aren't happy about your treatment, file a complaint with higher management.
I would say how about telling the worker the truth! Protecting your store manager by any means is foolish.

As for threatening to make them pay. Pay what exactly? The manager delegated his/her responsibilities to you. Now you must deal with it. It's how it's done in the big bad world.
I don't think most people want to work for store managers who engage in these type of tactics.

Ermm Huggins, that is how it is.

If you disagree with it, voice your concerns. If you think this is a great ethical dilemma, be thankful you only work in retail.

Management delegated his duty to you. Whether you follow such orders is now entirely up to you. Personally, I think the manager should approach the employee himself, but he has decided to delegate. Now the ethical dilemma. He has advised you to not tell the employee where the reprimand stems from.

You think it is unethical that he has placed you in said decision and don't think you should have to lie for him. Fair enough. But you are willing to lie to your manager since you don't say whether you refused to do his bidding when he ordered you to (so I am assuming you accepted his order) and tell the employee the truth. In short, you don't think it is ethically sound to lie for your manager, but you think it is ethically sound to lie to him?

Look you could simply refuse to carry out the manager's order and state your reasons as to why. Tell them of your problems with this issue and have other members of management present so they can hear your concern. Going public as though you are some type of hero whistleblower simply will not work because you will come off looking like a disgruntled employee who cannot follow simple orders and believe me, the public won't care if the issue is management lying to employees in directing others to reprimand the lower tier in the business. Or you can go in direct contradiction to what your manager said and tell the employee where the reprimand comes from. In one instance, you will be honest with the manager and yourself and in the other instance, you will still find yourself lying or to at least one individual, that being the manager.

You pick.

Good Questions

If you disagree with it, voice your concerns. If you think this is a great ethical dilemma, be thankful you only work in retail.
The assistant did and it did no good. I am just curious; should we just allow the world to be unethical? Should we just accept injustice, corruption, and dishonesty? It seems to me that people in many forums simply have "that's the way it is attitude." What happened to confronting these evils? Suppose his supervisor does nothing! Should a company who promotes itself as a company of integrity be allowed to do such things? I think if an assistant is terminated for this, he or she should try to get as much publicity toward the issue as possible. If it is widespread in the company, it should not be overlooked. Other former managers of the company will speak out and the company will suffer bad publicity.

Management delegated his duty to you. Whether you follow such orders is now entirely up to you

Exactly, and I'd rather not follow the order to conceal his identity. I may add that this is a pretend scenario but I have had situations similar to this.

Personally, I think the manager should approach the employee himself, but he has decided to delegate.

I agree. His decision to delegat is based on exploiting his/her authority.

Now the ethical dilemma. He has advised you to not tell the employee where the reprimand stems from
Sorry, he did not avise the assistant, he ordered him not to. IF it was advise, it would be more acceptable.

You think it is unethical that he has placed you in said decision and don't think you should have to lie for him. Fair enough. But you are willing to lie to your manager since you don't say whether you refused to do his bidding when he ordered you to (so I am assuming you accepted his order) and tell the employee the truth.
I would follow the order to rerpimand but reject the order to conceal his name out of being directly involved in the reprimand. That is the ethical choice. My insubordination would be justified under ethical grounds.

In short, you don't think it is ethically sound to lie for your manager, but you think it is ethically sound to lie to him?

In the first case, I would not lie for my manager when it puts my relationship with my worker in jeopardy. Furthermore, I would not lie to him.

Look you could simply refuse to carry out the manager's order and state your reasons as to why. Tell them of your problems with this issue and have other members of management present so they can hear your concern. Going public as though you are some type of hero whistleblower simply will not work because you will come off looking like a disgruntled employee who cannot follow simple orders and believe me, the public won't care if the issue is management lying to employees in directing others to reprimand the lower tier in the business. .
Clearly there is a difference between following an order of reprimand and concealing the store managers name when it is he who motivated the rerpimand. The former is an unethical order that should be taken seriously.
I don't see how I would seen as a former whining employee when I am terminated for stating his name in a reprimand. At that time I would whistleblow on the employer. Would you or would allow them to exploit you?
Permitting companies to use any tactics to achieve their objective violates your dignity. Would you want to work for management that conducts themself in that manner. At will employers are not immune from bad publicity.

Last edited:
Change the way it is!

Bell, I understand it is how it is. But it will remain how it is, if people do not stand up against it. Allowing at-will companies to use dishonest tactics is exploiting the victims of it. Don't you agree? If you do, why do you have this attitude? The assistant voiced his concerns but nothing happened. If he gets fired for not completely following the store manager's command, he should retaliate. A 15 year job is not disposable and that is what this assistant had with this company. That is why it is such a big deal!

Last edited:
Back